• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Entering Portugal from Canada

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin 888

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ‘19 and ‘22, Camino Portuguese ‘23
Hi All, Canada announced a relaxation of border controls yesterday. From Feb 28th, the non-essential travel mandate is being removed and return testing is now going to be the simple rapid antigen test rather than PCR. I was wondering if anyone in Portugal was hearing anything about the likelihood of relaxation of rules there to allow Canadian residents to enter the country which would hopefully lead to Air Canada reinstating direct flights from Toronto to Lisbon. I know there has been lots of discussion on this topic in the last few weeks but things are changing so fast, I thought I would ask what people are hearing. We had strong rumours here late last week of yesterday’s Canadian Govt announcement. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All, Canada announced a relaxation of border controls yesterday. From Feb 28th, the non-essential travel mandate is being removed and return testing is now going to be the simple rapid antigen test rather than PCR. I was wondering if anyone in Portugal was hearing anything about the likelihood of relaxation of rules there to allow Canadian residents to enter the country which would hopefully lead to Air Canada reinstating direct flights from Toronto to Lisbon. I know there has been lots of discussion on this topic in the last few weeks but things are changing so fast, I thought I would ask what people are hearing. We had strong rumours here late last week of yesterday’s Canadian Govt announcement. Thanks in advance for any insights.
I am in Portugal and have read that the entry requirements will be reviewed/revised (?) on 23 February. Best wishes. All remains uncertain.

Following with interest. It seems Portugal is not allowing non-essential travel from Canada or Autstralia. Just found this out and was quite disturbed since I was planning for Camino Portugese in the fall.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I openend up the Canadian government site and this is the important paragraph related to this:
here is the write up: IMPORTANT PORTUGAL UPDATE: We are advised that as of a few days ago, there are new travel restrictions for Portugal that affect Canadian travellers. Canadians may no longer enter Portugal except for essential travel (i.e., for educational, professional, or family reunification purposes, or for health or humanitarian reasons). It appears that even connections through Portugal will not be allowed. These new restrictions are in effect now, and will remain at least until February 28. Travellers should consult the Portuguese Embassy and consulates in Canada for updates and changes:

Important to note the sentence about "It appears that even connections through Portugal will not be allowed".

I have also contacted my source in Portugal and they seem not to have a clue regarding this.
here is the link to the Portuguese Consulate:
https://portaldascomunidades.mne.go...EQIo2o22Z4WoPsf7wJAMwt6FjmHtIRG3nE7zUZS6sY0_w the Portuguese portal

I openend up the Canadian government site and this is the important paragraph related to this:
here is the write up: IMPORTANT PORTUGAL UPDATE: We are advised that as of a few days ago, there are new travel restrictions for Portugal that affect Canadian travellers. Canadians may no longer enter Portugal except for essential travel (i.e., for educational, professional, or family reunification purposes, or for health or humanitarian reasons). It appears that even connections through Portugal will not be allowed. These new restrictions are in effect now, and will remain at least until February 28. Travellers should consult the Portuguese Embassy and consulates in Canada for updates and changes:

Important to note the sentence about "It appears that even connections through Portugal will not be allowed".

I have also contacted my source in Portugal and they seem not to have a clue regarding this.
https://portaldascomunidades.mne.go...EQIo2o22Z4WoPsf7wJAMwt6FjmHtIRG3nE7zUZS6sY0_w the Portuguese portal
This is all good stuff from everybody who has responded......much appreciated. In my initial posting I was hoping that the new position declared by Govt of Canada earlier this week may have some impact on at least a review in Portugal and possibly some changes. Thanks once again for the insight !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is all good stuff from everybody who has responded......much appreciated. In my initial posting I was hoping that the new position declared by Govt of Canada earlier this week may have some impact on at least a review in Portugal and possibly some changes. Thanks once again for the insight !
In general, new rules are adopted here in Portugal on Thursday evenings, and announced on Fridays. You can check this website on Fridays for updates: https://www.safecommunitiesportugal.com/major-incidents/emergency-legislation/

South Africa is in the same category as Canada and Australia, so also watching closely.

And, no, we cannot reroute. Our tickets are into Lisbon, paid for over two years ago, and the airline does not fly into any other European country.

We are applying for our Schengen visas at the Spanish Consulate, and hoping that Portugal will let us in at the time of travel.

Last edited:

Does this apply to land crossing as well? Taking bus from Santiago to Porto, then flying back to Canada from Porto

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
also a Canadian - from my research the current restrictions will be in place until Feb 28, fingers crossed travel will be opened up again. Canadians can enter Portugal by land from Spain and flying from Portugal back to Canada is Ok, PCR test needed until Feb 28, then just an antigen test.

Does this apply to land crossing as well?
No.

Also, this is not about nationality. It is about where you come from when you travel to Portugal. Direct trip from Canada to Portugal versus direct trip from Spain to Portugal - totally different rules.

Are you asking about right now or about some time in the future? BTW, you can go to VisitPortugal and scroll down to Arriving to Portugal by Land.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also, this is not about nationality. It is about where you come from when you travel to Portugal.

The travel agent who is (has been since Jan 2020) handling our flights into Lisbon (from Johannesburg via Angola) tells us that at the moment I can fly, as I have a UK passport, but my friends can’t, as they have South African passports, although we are all coming from the same place 🤔.

We are not flying until April, so not too concerned . . . yet.

No.

Also, this is not about nationality. It is about where you come from when you travel to Portugal. Direct trip from Canada to Portugal versus direct trip from Spain to Portugal - totally different rules.

Are you asking about right now or about some time in the future? BTW, you can go to VisitPortugal and scroll down to Arriving to Portugal by Land.
Flight booked for 22 April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back