A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Epicamino has come to an end - fellow pilgrim and forum member David passed away

2020 Camino Guides

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Reality is frequently inaccurate
Sad news, but I felt I had to share this with you. Yesterday I learned through social media that our fellow pilgrim @david1, or David Milligan, the author and protagonist of the Epicamino thread on this forum, passed away last weekend. David's tales from his epic camino (which began at St. David's cathedral in West Wales) started on Jan 10, 2019 and he arrived in Santiago May 17, 2019.

I can't say that I really knew David, but he and I connected online and we regularly exchanged info and pleasantries during his long walk. He really was one of the good guys and, apart from our online conversations, he kept inspiring (and entertaining!) me through his upbeat and humorous posts on his thread.

We kept in touch a little afterwards, because he wasn't done with walking and had some questions about walking trails in France. It saddens me greatly that his pilgrim days are now over. He has touched lives with his courage, perseverance and humour.

Buen camino, epic peregrino.

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
So sorry to learn this, but thank you for letting us know. Rest in peace, pilgrim.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends. A good camino walked.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Hopefully Via de Bayona/Burgos to Ponferrada/Camino de Invierno
Thank you @Purky for sharing these sad news. RIP peregrino 😓

Pia Valbak Schmidt

Pilgrim, DK, Caminos 2007,09,11,12,13,14.15,16,18
Camino(s) past & future
2007,2009,2011,2012,2013,2014.2015,2016,2018. Hospitalera 2012,2013,2014,2016,2017
Sad news, but I felt I had to share this with you. Yesterday I learned through social media that our fellow pilgrim @david1, or David Milligan, the author and protagonist of the Epicamino thread on this forum, passed away last weekend. David's tales from his epic camino (which began at St. David's cathedral in West Wales) started on Jan 10, 2019 and he arrived in Santiago May 17, 2019.

I can't say that I really knew David, but he and I connected online and we regularly exchanged info and pleasantries during his long walk. He really was one of the good guys and, apart from our online conversations, he kept inspiring (and entertaining!) me through his upbeat and humorous posts on his thread.

We kept in touch a little afterwards, because he wasn't done with walking and had some questions about walking trails in France. It saddens me greatly that his pilgrim days are now over. He has touched lives with his courage, perseverance and humour.

May David rest in peace 🍀

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2021)

Buen Camino, David

Chris Day

Hesed Walker
Camino(s) past & future
Frances-14/15/16 Part-17/18/19
VdlP/Sanabres/Finist16
Port/Ingles 17
Norte 18 Le Puy/Primitivo 19
I echo the thoughts of all here. I followed his Epicamino Adventure throughout...I was enthralled and enthused as I read his account, mostly with a big smile on my face. RIP and condolences to all who knew and undoubtedly loved him.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
This is a shock! He’ll slip in the gates of heaven with a smile, ready to share a yarn or two. RIP with glorious memories.

Thanks for letting us know, @Purky

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Oh!!
This is surprising and very sad news.
His posts last year from his walk were wonderful and so full of life.
All blessings as you walk on, peregrino!

Hurry Krishna

Indian on the Way
Camino(s) past & future
2009 (from Sarria), 2014 from St Jean Pied de Port, 2016 from Porto, 2018 from Le Puy to Santiago.

He seemed so fit in the Epicamino thread - at least in the bits I read. Must have been such a shock to his family and friends.
Farewell Pilgrim on your final epic journey!

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
RIP. Let's hope his epicamino has not actually come to an end and is instead just beginning.

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)

Though David’s pilgrim days are over, he was one of the many of us who found the Camino/s and all the beauty and gifts each affords: solitude; being comfortable with self; being comfortable with others; appreciating the beauty of the terrain and the magnificence of architectural treasures; diversity and warmth of fellow pilgrims; immersing oneself in another culture; tasking one’s mental, emotional, and physical capabilities; recharging or rebooting - us, devices secondarily; trusting and being comfortable that “everything will work out”; and experiencing the joy of making a difference in someone else’s life.
I celebrate David’s Caminos and all the insight and joy he has shared with others along the way.
Much love to his family, and may memories of him brighten their days.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
This is what David wrote one year ago today:
Oo! The app is now working 😀
Now I'm just outside of Chichester.
Figure I am in condition now, so walking from now on... He says lol
I've managed to pick up a cold, was stopped by the police walking up the A27. Apparently they had phone calls...olde Bill were cool though, said I was perfectly free to walk it, but in the spirit of my Camino I said I would take the next junction off to save them the hassle. Asked where I was heading, when I said Chichester they laughed; it's the next junction! Lol.
Booked for Tuesday and Wednesday in a YHA, timely, as I do feel a little bit rough.
Here's a picture of"Brother David" ex monk, and now called Peter again. A wonderful guy, bought me coffee and cake, and dropped if off at the A27 on a direct route to Chichester...

Mystery.

Stephen

Camino(s) past & future
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
I came across this thread only yesterday when Purky posted and have been reading the whole thread since. Loved it and here are excerpts(spelling) of what I picked up with hindsight - who knows the day, the hour....

Post on epicamino

kirkie said on Feb 18, 2019.
“Enjoy it all! As you know every day is different, so make hay while the sun shines...
I do not mean to be macabre, but one of my elderly friends died yesterday, and therefore, all the more reason to live the moment you have, David! That moment will not come again. Others will, till someday... so, live, horse and you will get grass. Delighted to be following your Pilgrim Progress.”

“Here and now...that is all.” was his answer

kirkie on April 5
“I just went back to your original post. You are nearly 3 months on the road. Your spirit shines through, and I wish you endurance for the remainder of the journey of a lifetime, for a lifetime.”

David April 10
“Talking of home,, I must have 1000 photos on my Google cloud uploaded plus over 8Gb of video and more to come. So I'll get my video editing hat on when I am Infront of my pc..”

David April 30
“I just walked under a field of stars, banded by a shining milky way, then a slither of moon rose up, chased by a crimson dawn.
Welcome to the Camino.”

mspaths April 30
“May you remember such a beautiful moment for many dawns to come.”

kirkie, April 30
“David, you began your Camino and entrapped us with your story, and you continue so to do. Blessed be the rest of your way to the Field of Stars, pilgrim. You are truly blessed, and I know you know that.”

walli walker. May 11
“My goodness, David, what are we all going to do when you finish? We will be bereft too. X”

Approachingbliss. May 11
“shush, true enough walli walker, he's sleeping.”

Purky. May 13
“We need a badge!

David. May 14
“Purky, that badge is fantastic! I may well have to get a t-shirt “

Funny enough I said just that to a priest not far from Paris. (The Rome bit, not the faggot bit )
I have the time but not the money.”

David. May 22

Back in the UK I'm going to have "Epicamino" tattooed underneath it.

“FYI, this mad cow made me do it

1579208741048.png
Well, the badge was deleted when I tried to include it in this post.

Is anybody in contact with the “mad cow” who started him on his adventure. Or could anybody try to contact her? She must have “accompanied” him on his pilgrimage. It might give her comfort in her grieving to know there is a whole community with her!???

E V Waight

It's the journey, not the destination.
Camino(s) past & future
September (2017)
Possible September (2018)
Holy Year (2021) (all three Gladys, John and I)
Never met David but read quite a bit of his adventures. Sad news indeed. Thanks for sharing and may he rest in peace.

Lynda t

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago May 2010
Lisbon to Santiago May 2012

So sorry to hear. Where can I read about his camino and route please?

Walli Walker

Camino(s) past & future
Frances '2009',Portuguese '2015', Ingles '2015', Fin and Muxia '2015'. Camino from Granada '2017'.
So very sad to hear of David’s passing. I felt as though I knew him through his posts and now feel like I have lost a true friend. RIP.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
“FYI, this mad cow made me do it"

1579208741048.png

Well, the badge was deleted when I tried to include it in this post.

Is anybody in contact with the “mad cow” who started him on his adventure. Or could anybody try to contact her? She must have “accompanied” him on his pilgrimage. It might give her comfort in her grieving to know there is a whole community with her!???
“FYI, this mad cow made me do it" this plus the picture was posted by David. So I would like to repeat my question as above.

Purky, you told us about David's passing. Could you find out through fb or wherever you got the info from? I am not on fb and am a cyberdummy anyway.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Robo Announcements 11
OLDER threads on this topic
Has Forum Home Page Layout Changed?

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 178 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 291 24.5%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 339 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock