• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Epicamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

david1

RIP 2020
Time of past OR future Camino
Paris to Santiago de Compostela. RIP 2020
I had intended to embark upon my Camino this March, but one thing and another I found time and money to start now. Fro. St. David's cathedral in West Wales, through to Wells...And I'm leaving Salisbury this morning.
I haven't walked all this way mind! ;-) Doing around 6-8 miles a day on my feet, then finding a sneaky stealthy camp spot. Hitch if I'm back on the road before dark, the odd bus to a weekly YHA stay to freshen up, that kind of thing. Good stuff to get in condition for the actual 100% walk from Paris...And at 51years I need it lol.
Set out on 21st December...And I am having an adventure of a lifetime.!
Just thought I'd check in, introduce myself, before mining the site for information and tips.lol.
Heading out to Winchester cathedral this morning, but with a slightly annoying detour to Southampton to pick up a 4 season sleeping bag. But there again, I'm sure it won't be annoying when I'm all tucked up and toasty...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You're going to have a wonderful time, David. At this time of year the crowds will be less - which suits some people! I'm off next month, walking from Portugal up into Spain along the Portuguese Coastal camino. At 51 years of age, you are younger than my SON!!!
Best wishes and .... buen camino amigo!

I've heard that the pilgrims hostels aren't open until March. So I've been planning on getting to Paris late February, for a timely March arrival in Spain. And yeah, precisely to avoid the crowds.
any truth in this? It would free any planning if that was not so. Mind you, my plans are pretty loose as it is :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@david1 I'm sorry that I didn't know about your walk from St Davids earlier - you would have been welcome to a camping spot in our garden near Cross Hands, or a bed indoors with a meal and a bath if you had a taste for comfort that day :) Several years ago I walked from our home here to Portsmouth, ferry to St Malo, then a coastal route to SJPDP. A wonderful experience despite some difficult parts. Ultreia!

@david1 I'm sorry that I didn't know about your walk from St Davids earlier - you would have been welcome to a camping spot in our garden near Cross Hands, or a bed indoors with a meal and a bath if you had a taste for comfort that day :) Several years ago I walked from our home here to Portsmouth, ferry to St Malo, then a coastal route to SJPDP. A wonderful experience despite some difficult parts. Ultreia!
Aw.. that's kind 😘 From Newcastle emlyn to St.David's I got picked up by a family (Xmas day!) Took me to their house, dinner, charades, bath and tent in their garden! And before setting off the next day they thanked me for making their Christmas special by giving them the opportunity to help a pilgrim out!
Warms a guy up better than a 5 season sleeping bag! 😂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! Being followed online here and Fbook means a lot... otherwise I think I would feel most lonely.
Aswell as food and a gadget recharge, it's conversation that's at a premium 😊

Good luck to you, I always hated the trouble of camping in England. In France and Spain it's never been a problem. If you need any advice on camping or other secret places to sleep pm me.
If you travel along the Camino del Norte you are welcome to come and stay at my house if I'm not up in the mountains. I always enjoy meeting other long distance traveller's. Have a fantastic time.

Thanks, very kind.
I'm not having too much trouble stealth camping so far. If I resign myself to not having a fire it becomes even easier.
To be honest I'm not sure what the name of the route is I'm taking, or intend to, anyway. There, just dug my kindle out and checked: from st. Jean Pied de Port/San Sebastian...bugger, just confused myself again 😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yay! Back on the road, after post service delays. I'm having to do a quick detour to Southampton to pick up a sleeping bag. Hopefully I can do that and then get out of town and find a camp spot today..
So pleased to be on it again. Itching feet last night, metaphorically speaking.IMG_20190111_103924.jpg

Mission accomplished.
Sleeping bag, refunded for tent and getting out of the city..

David1,

Throughout France there is a Chain of Local (donativo) Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river and near WW1 battle fields.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

If you pass this way and wish to camp, sleep indoors or simply share a glass or two of the local bubbly just send me a PM for more info!

Bon chemin, Buen camino and, as always, ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you! Being followed online here and Fbook means a lot... otherwise I think I would feel most lonely.
Aswell as food and a gadget recharge, it's conversation that's at a premium 😊
I would love to follow you as well. If you don’t mind, what is your FBook name? This IS an epic Camino!!

Well, I'm still on my Camino. East side of Portsmouth, found a nice camp spot safe for a fire.(picture)
Met a very nice chap in Salisbury cathedral. David the clergy. Also an ex military policeman. Taught me the lesson of accepting offers of help because people like to..and I added that it also makes them involved which they like. I know I would.
Winchester cathedral charges£8.50 to get in. Lucky me, arrived at 8am... nobody around. Deserted infact..so I strolled right on in, had the cathedral completely to myself..then the last ten minutes the organ struck up.
Wond
IMG_20190108_124210.jpgIMG_20190113_154909.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
what a lovely thread, thanks for sharing your journey with us. Just an FYI: there are albergues open all along the Spanish Camino Frances in winter. If you have a gadget they update this listing every couple of days:
www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ ,
Now I do wish I had known that.
I also wish I could recall which numpty told me everything was shut over winter. Grrr.
But hey hoe! I don't think I would be on this incredible journey now if I'd known. 😀

David1,

Throughout France there is a Chain of Local (donativo) Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river and near WW1 battle fields.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

If you pass this way and wish to camp, sleep indoors or simply share a glass or two of the local bubbly just send me a PM for more info!

Bon chemin, Buen camino and, as always, ultreia!
I may well take you up on that. I shall get back to you nearer the time..when I finally cross the channel. 😀

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Back on here Wednesday.. website on a phone is sooo hard withy clunky fingers. And the app will not load up on my phone for some reason...🤔

Oo! The app is now working 😀
Now I'm just outside of Chichester.
Figure I am in condition now, so walking from now on... He says lol
I've managed to pick up a cold, was stopped by the police walking up the A27. Apparently they had phone calls...olde Bill were cool though, said I was perfectly free to walk it, but in the spirit of my Camino I said I would take the next junction off to save them the hassle. Asked where I was heading, when I said Chichester they laughed; it's the next junction! Lol.
Booked for Tuesday and Wednesday in a YHA, timely, as I do feel a little bit rough.
Here's a picture of"Brother David" ex monk, and now called Peter again. A wonderful guy, bought me coffee and cake, and dropped if off at the A27 on a direct route to Chichester...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Spent an hour on the beach to find this, Very very pleased to have finally found one.
Am I a proper pilgrim now? 😂😂😂IMG_20190116_141408.jpg
I'm in Littlehampton now having two nights rest. Back on my way to Arundel cathedral tomorrow... then meandering over to Canterbury.
So chuffed.. me have scallop!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just left a woods at 2am....sleep paralysis nightmare!! Lol.
One always feels better vocalising it...
Coffee on the brew but several miles away 😁
(Or was it a dream?...)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Currently I'm in Goring-by-sea. I've been looking for an army surplus store for a while now... honestly! You can't find one, and then several turn up 😂
In need of a quality poncho in case of rain. I have a rain cover for my rucksack, but figure a downpour and it's going to get in in-between me and the rucksack. Most of my stuff is in waterproof sacks, but still; if one thing got wet it's bound to be the very thing you especially wanted dry....

Trundling down the road. This stretch just seems to be town joined to town joined to town... Can be tricky to find somewhere to pee! I don't think I would get into trouble peeing in a bottle in a discrete place. Let's hope I don't find out 😂
I'm hoping to get past Brighton today. I know from previous trips there are green places to stealth camp past there. I'm not very keen on Brighton anyways.
From Worthing to Shoreham so far, about half way...IMG_20190119_114446.jpg

Hit Brighton at dusk. I wasn't going to make it past before sundown so a quick check online, and I found a hostel for £10, on suite shower and toilet, nice firm mattress and breakfast!
Brighton is an interesting town, but you need money to enjoy it really.
Guess I will be jogging on in the morning then! 😂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did indeed jog on in the morning..
Currently just outside of Peacehaven. I've got a blister though so starting to look for a camping spot. Changed my socks and applied a "compeed"
Maybe get some better footwear...

Carried on out of Peacehaven, trying to get to some greenery. Eventually had to stop at 9pm, feet and legs exhausted. About 2 miles out of Seaford, other side of a hedge in the first fallow field I came across. The longest, most testing, days walk as yet. Mostly on hard ground, and 11 hoursish. Followed by the most testing night yet. Frosty frosty frosty! The bottom of my sleeping bag white with a hard frost, which goes to show the quality of the bag as my feet were warm enough. Top of my woolly hat also white with frost! No kidding! But that goes to show how good Merino wool is, as I had a Merino snood under the hat, so it was definitely doing it's job. Seriously considering Merino long John's/top although they're very expensive.
Down to Cuckmere and along the coastal path over (or should that be up and down, up and down...?) the Seven Sisters, and the rest of their tiring family 😂 to Eastbourne.
Sitting in it's YHA warm, showered and fed...
Another wonderful day full of highs, and one low, on this magical Camino.
Oo! Feel a tear coming... 😊
IMG_20190121_091027.jpgIMG_20190121_134150.jpg

€149,-
Really enjoying your descriptions, @david1 - frost on the bottom of your sleeping bag! That would be too tough for me, but I'm impressed!
Looking back now, I'm impressed 😂 I have to admit moral was seriously down, and finding no café, walking down the road being harried by the commuting traffic didn't help.
Then I was forced to take the coastal path as the traffic became positively dangerous. That, however turned out to be a blessing, half an hour into it and I was once again having a great time! Shed one of my "tears of happiness at just BEING"
Popping into the doctors tomorrow though, just to check on a few things that have come up... repetitive strain injury or not, ointment for sweat rash, usual Camino things I'd imagine.
Which gives me a wonderful excuse for an extra night in this warm and frost free YHA. Yay!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It was a good move going to see the doctor.
A varicose vein, so I'm not about to keel over with a blood clot. Lol.
Numbness in my left thigh will disappear once I finish my Camino, so nothing permanent.
And the small rash on the solar plexus (appears intermittently) is my body saying it's time to get to a youth hostel. And gave me some ointment.
Loving our wonderful National Health Service!!!
Tendon in my left foot I didn't ask about as it was then just one of the aches and pains we all get pilgrimating (it's a word now 😁) I'm still going to set off in the morning, if it gets worse I shall just have to set up in the next hostel, fortunately in the next town along, and give it some more rest.
I think that it's important for us pilgrims to pay close attention to the small medical issues we get. An unattended little thing could easily end up being a show stopper, blisters, sweat rashes being a good example.
Snowing here in the UK.. preferable to rain IMO. Especially as a member on here just gave me a contribution towards some Merino wool base layer. Most definitely feeling the "spirit of the Camino" 😘

Last edited:
My oh my... this suburban sprawl just goes on and on. I've only just got out of Pevensey castle,. Sitting in a Starbucks, waiting for the sun to go down so I can slip over the road to a spot I've espied to lay my weary self down.
Foot tendon aches still, but hasn't got any worse as I think it was getting stressed by my having my boots tied up, so I've laced them halfway, shoe style, and they're alot happier. But still a case of three steps forward and one back as far as healing is concerned (forgive the pun; I'm tired)
Walking past Pevensey castle I posted this picture on facespook. "Here's Pevensey castle, and I couldn't care less, too, too tired" lol.
Struggling...but still very much loving this Camino of mine!
And I have Merino wool long John's on!! 😁
(Thanks Heidil!)

Attachments

• IMG_20190123_150844.jpg
    IMG_20190123_150844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I'm still here fellow pilgrims. I've had to take a few " light duty" days with a swollen ankle, so I've had nothing to report. Good to go back to Battle on Tuesday, where I took my raincheck.
Lucky me had extended family 40 miles away so timing was good. Funny enough I'm only ten miles from Canterbury now, my next port of call, but I'm going to go back to Battle to continue from there. I wouldn't feel right otherwise.
So it's France very soon! Oo scary! 😁😁FB_IMG_1548591566196.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm a few miles away from Battle. Left camp set up a bit late, so the bed is not the most comfortable lol.
Brand new, rather expensive, boots are brilliant. No sign of my ankle tendon aching.
But I can't find my glasses, so I shall post again tomorrow.
Fingers crossed for the tarp holding up as it's going to get wet tonight 🙄

I m thawing out in a splendid café, a converted train carriage no less! The best breakfast so far, and they keep on topping up my teapot. Nom nom nom 😊
Got rained on last night, or rather, my tarp did lol. Always a little bit tricky stealth campin, as opposed to getting permission, as the tent and tarp are set up in the twilight so are not usually set up as best. But the rain turned into snow and I didn't notice until I had climbed out of my sleeping bag.
Slipped on ice coming up the road..midair star shape, stick went flying, would have made a brilliant photo 😂 But a close call, could have broken a bit of me easily.(Note sent to self; Be more careful!)
My ankle had a little moan on setting out, I don't think it has worked out those olde boots have gone for their very own walk to the charity store haha!
Beautiful blue sky outside... must take advantage of it and get some milage behind me.
Until the next post fellow pilgrims! 😁😁😁IMG_20190130_073143.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_081557.jpg
    IMG_20190130_081557.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Quick check in, before the usual "trying to find a camp site" stress.
Felt a little bit down this morning. Never the best of times between getting out of my sleeping bag and packing up. But as soon as I had climbed out of the valley my spirits rose, and after breakfast was once again in top shape. 😁
Walked passed Bodium Castle, which is worth a visit.
I'm about two days walk from Canterbury, booked in for Saturday and Sunday in the YHA, so may have a window to fill there, arriving early in all probability...but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Oh the stress of finding sleeping spots... when I get to the Camino proper I'm going to be in absolute luxury with peeps to talk to and an actual bed! 😂
Anyway, off to find a camping spot now
Peacenlovenostuffx
IMG_20190130_110338.jpg

€149,-
Popped into an army surplus store earlier for another space blanket to make myself a corking sleeping bag liner, got chatting to a couple of guys about Merino wool and what I was up to etc. Mentioned I was booked into the YHA for a couple of days rest, when one of them pipes up, "Oh you can stay with me if you like, if you're not going to lose out on money or anything."
So here I am. Sat by the fire in Steve and Nish's house in rather a comfortable chair. Spaghetti Bolognese smells drifting out from the kitchen, Steve in his office watching the rugby, and Ray the dog wandering around making sure we're all happy.
Indeed we are Ray...indeed we are.
😊😊😊

Left Steve and Nish's house earlier today. Steve stepped out with me, and Ray the dog, for a few miles. First time I have had company, and Steve being a history buff, the way was improved the more. After a few hours we came to a small village of "Patrixbourne" which has a very well preserved Norman church "Saint Mary's"
Popped into this church to change my socks..had a good look around, and spotted two scallop shells! Turns out that I'd only stumbled upon a pilgrims rest! 😱 Went around to the church warden's cottage, she sent me back to the church to meet up with me later. She shortly came over to give me some milk, tea and a kettle, gave me the key and showed me where the water tap was. I can sleep anywhere in the church, and I have a spot before the altar where I shall be awoken by the sun through a stained glass window at dawn. The church bells strike out the hours, I'm having chocolate and coffee whilst listening to "Agnus Dei"
Yes.
That's all.
Just Yes.5176051761

Last edited:
I've come across these from Patrixbourne, Kent. Regularly marked. There may well be before I'd spotted them as well (edit) They are marked all the way to Dover, and I would think up to Canterbury.
FYI

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just outside of Dover. Met a couple of local guys who kindly gave me a lift to this woods. Said nobody will bother me at all, so big fire tonight! Two nights in a hostel for tomorrow, a nice 12 o clock check in, and time to sort out the France stage.
Beautiful walk along the South Downs Way, signposted great! (See above)
Just fruit and nuts and water for dinner though, but that shouldn't be too bad.
Best build the fire up then...
Until tomorrow fellow pilgrims! 😁😁😁

Lovely evening....and then the heavens opened and the wind got up! Turns out that my Snugpak Stratosphere tent and DD tarp are too old to deal with this lol. Much shinanigans ensued battling the elements, but I managed eventually to get some sleep.
The weather eased up in the morning, so I got another roaring fire going and dried my slightly damp sleeping bag out and other bits and pieces.
Dried fruit and nuts for breakfast, then around five miles walk to Dover for a full English breakfast.
Thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast. Seems like I appreciate the real things in life doing this Camino. Finding an elastic band on the street; great! I can tie up that annoying strap. The ease of lighting the fire with the vaseline cotton wool trick. A cheery wave from a lorry driver as I step into the verge and wait for him/her to pass.
Just part of what a Camino is all about I reckon
And the joy of being able to wash a few undercrackers ha ha! Which I shall set about to now...
Until the next post fellow pilgrims! 😁😁😁51848518495185051851

Cheers to you and your EpicCamino ! I embark on my Camino in September. I will enjoy following you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well the first few days in France were quite taxing. I'm constantly struggling with the phone signal, or lack thereof. One second it's full bars and the next, nothing. I figure that it must be because I'm on "roaming" because I don't think that the French would put up with it. I've been using Google maps a lot, and that plus roaming drains my phone batteries like crazy...
Eventually I got my bearings and walked out of Calais. Went along some beautiful canals for a good few kilometres, good camping countryside. I had to leave these unfortunately and head off into more agricultural landscape. This proved to be a bit of a drag as well. Being in a marshland area all the fields were puddles really and no good for camping in. I had to do about nine hours of walking, and had to stop. Found a bus shelter just outside of a village, so I slept in there. Great shelter from the rain though.
Got up before dawn, just incase anyone gave me grief, and sauntered down the drizzly road.
After a while I was out of the marshland and things were looking up, despite the rain. Bonjouring away to people I passed.
After lunch peeps online were warning me about an impending storm, so I stopped by at an underpass, intending to stay there.
I didn't set up my tent, but got my stove out and made coffee, when a couple of what looked like hunters passed by. Gave them a wave, but didn't receive one back..oo'er... then an hour later the car cruised slowly passed.
Back in England it wouldn't have bothered me, but here I have the language barrier to contend with, so I packed up and moved on.
Fortunately the stormy weather didn't materialize, and I found a wood just right for myself. Hard enough for me to walk up, so I figured nobody would be passing.
Then I realized just how far it was untill Paris, what a drag! Morale plummeted, I can't do this all that way.
Long story shorter, the next day I made the four hours walk to Saint Omer, booked into a hotel. Cleaned up and dried out.
Tomorrow I decided to get the train to Paris, and start my Camino proper. Hopefully I will meet some fellow pilgrims because the lack of conversation was seriously effecting me. Even popping into a bakery for chocolate croissants, there's no opportunity to chat.
Bitterly regretting not getting some French language before setting off.
So as I write I'm on a train to Paris, much cheerier, bought some actual, get wet in the rain, paper maps.
Pretty much no pilgrim's hostels between Paris and Saint Jean so I'm down to one night in whatever I can find... Although always hopeful for friendly local kindness.
Going to miss out Chartre as the other route has more villages to pass through. And lucky me walk a hundred yards passed where some old friends now live.😁😁😁
Two lessons fellow pilgrims 1. Get some French language learnt, even basic so as to pick more up as you go. Catch 22: you can't learn French without a little French. 2. Get a map.
52010z5201152012520105201152012

If you are in Paris, and want some more info on accommodation and possible routes, contact the "Les Amis de Saint Jacques", on 8bis Rue Jean Bart, 75006 Paris. They might make life on the road a little easier for you. Bon Chemin!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since camping in Paris would be difficult now here is a link to a pleasant centrally located youth hostel.The general price for a bed/bunk in a shared room is 36€ with a simple free breakfast; for pilgrims the price is 31€.

Do scan these earlier Forum threads for much more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino within Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Bon chance et Bon chemin!

Last edited:
Look for "gîte d'étage". In some places gîtes are fancy inn type places, sometimes with pilgrim space and rates for those with credentials, but the gîte d'étage are the communal living hostels you seek.

Some chambre d'hôtes have pilgrim dorms.

You want to learn the words, "je suis un pèlerin" and "merci".

If you are in Paris, and want some more info on accommodation and possible routes, contact the "Les Amis de Saint Jacques", on 8bis Rue Jean Bart, 75006 Paris. They might make life on the road a little easier for you. Bon Chemin!
I shall take a walk over there in the morning.
Thanks for the info 😊

€46,-
Look for "gîte d'étage". In some places gîtes are fancy inn type places, sometimes with pilgrim space and rates for those with credentials, but the gîte d'étage are the communal living hostels you seek.

Some chambre d'hôtes have pilgrim dorms.

You want to learn the words, "je suis un pèlerin" and "merci".
Yeah, I'm good with merci and je suis un pelerin etc.
Did not know that about gites though.

A morning perambulation in its general direction, then lunch, timed to finish around 2pm then.
Nice 😁

€83,-
I think that I may have booked into the seediest hostel in Paris 😂 I'm loving it though in a kind of "Down and Out in Paris and London", "Cannery Row" manner.
Photos to follow, but meanwhile here's a cut and paste from Feckbook;
"A mental hour trying to find the backpacker's hostel.
In the right tower, bloke says it's the other one. It is not.😂
I go out ask another guy...yup he is drunk, and sends me the wrong way. 😂
I ask another guy, he gets me back on the right boulevard. Then splits. Fair enough. 😊
Ask another guy, speaks English, gets his phone out, Google maps and photo. Points, "It is that one."
So I go back to the original tower block. Translate "etage" to "floor" Great! Floor 33
Except the lift only goes to 32 😂
I waited by the lift, a lady turns up, tells me, in English that I need to go to floor 32 then take the stairs. I do this and still have to ask the cleaner lady where the backpacker's hostel is! 😂
And she walks me around the lift tower, through a door and I'm there...
F**king hell, I'm having such a hilarious time! Brilliant! 😂😂😂😂😂😎"
520315203252033The thumbnails are the view from my window. Waiting for the sun to rise at the moment so as to get another look at the Eiffel tower...

Yay! Thanks to Purky and his top tips. I went the offices of "des Amis de Saint Jacque de Compostelle" possibly using up the last of the days humility...and was met by a terribly happy guy by the name of Bernard. He spoke good English to me, after I'd declared Juis suis un pelerin englais..sat me down, and we had a great chat. He's the first person I've met who didn't bat an eyelid at the distance I had walked...which was kind of cool.
Received my "credencial" and was told that I could/should get it stamped on the way at post office, pharmacy, marie etc. Anywhere that they have a stamp just to prove I'd been through this town/ village etc.
Also gave me pages of information on accommodation I will pass on the way!
I walked out of there beaming like a kid with a new puppy! 😂😂😂
So off to Notre Dame tomorrow morning to start the actual Camino proper, having been told by Bernard that I may have to be quite insistent for them to stamp it.
Totally chuffed!!!

Also worth considering is a visit to the Tour Saint-Jacques (about a ten minute walk from Notre Dame across the Seine). The starting point in Paris for the 'chemin de Compostelle' since the sixteenth century. Apparently you can also get a stamp at a kiosk around the back.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Splendid Purky! I shall do just that
I've come all this way, so I stick with the traditional... Apparently it's no longer covered in scaffolding, which will be great.
Pictures will follow tomorrow.
Time for some shuteye....
😪

I had my credential stamped at Notre Dame a few years ago without any drama. Seem to recall it was at the kiosk just inside the entrance.

Do yourself a favour and fill in the rest of the details on the face page, including an email address. If you lose it, you make it possible for someone to return it to you. And with passport details on it, some gîtes and hostals won't bother to have you dig out your ID. Plus, they need the info in Santiago.

I'm just outside of Longjumeau, having passed through Massy in an effort to get a chance to wild camp. Town joined to town from Paris untill here.
I did indeed get my credencial stamped in Notre Dame, infact the security guard walked me passed the queues of tourists and took me to the kiosk just inside the cathedral.
The kiosk at the tour de Saint Jacque was closed though.
Very pleased to be finally on the pilgrim's way... striding down the Rue Saint Jaques like times of old, me and my thumb stick very happy bunnies. 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's awesome to see your progress. Buen camino.

€83,-
Another day and another cachet/stamp on my credencial/passport.
Tomorrow it's off to Angerville, where the clue is not in the name! 😂
I'm in dire need of a sun hat of some description. I spend most of the Camino with the sun in my eyes, and after midday it can feel very hot. 17oC yesterday. Hot for an English dude anyway.
Still no sign of another pilgrim, which is a shame. I haven't had a conversation since Dover! 😱
Saw just a few scallop shell markers, although I did get a little lost so wasn't necessarily on the route proper (if there is such a thing)
A few photos, and then it's early to bed for this merry pilgrim.
Peacenlovenostuffx

Up and packed before the dawn. I had a beautiful half hour sipping a rare coffee (low on gas) having a vape, watching the dustiest crimsonet red moon that I have truly ever seen setting 😍😍😍.
That's it really. lost for words my fellow pilgrims....

I did indeed jog on in the morning..
Currently just outside of Peacehaven. I've got a blister though so starting to look for a camping spot. Changed my socks and applied a "compeed"
Maybe get some better footwear...
I have just found and read down to here on your thread. I have been hunting in my mind for a poem from schooldays, but I can’t find the one your posts are pointing me to. Instead, if you are looking for something to read, try Lone Dog by Irene McLeod, or The Brook by Tennyson. I also found the following which gives English translation of a traditional Camino song, much loved by French and other pilgrims. http://liturgy.co.nz/ultreia-et-suseia
I look forward to catching the rest of your wanderings.
By the way, what attracted me to write is the name of Peacehaven. How lovely!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Feel free to chat away on this thread whilst I am not about. Cheers me right up!
Battery life is at a premium so I can only check in once a day generally.
Peacenlovenostuff fellow pilgrims! 😘

Attachments

• PANO_20190217_071643.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
David, I too, have just stumbled upon your journey today.
I will be thinking and praying for you as you continue. Your experiences stagger my imagination and you must feel so incredibly resilient and strong, (almost super-human!) most of the time. Amazing.
I was able to walk the CF this past May-June and met some people who had started in both Italy and France. They all shared that they really didn't encounter other walkers until St Jean, so hang in there and enjoy this limited time of solitude.
I am loving watching and reading your story,
Shelli

Yay! I love replies! 😘 I've resigned myself to not seeing any other pilgrims, if there are any they're going to be ahead or behind me anyway 😁
Almost in Angerville now, but just realized it's Sunday and I'd guessed it was Friday..so no cachet/ stamp unless I get lucky and the tourist information office is open. The stamps from the Marie office are prettiest though! 😂
That's my rest stop over, I must continue with my way.
Ready feet? Let's go!
Peacenlovenostuffx 😘

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yay! I love replies! 😘 I've resigned myself to not seeing any other pilgrims, if there are any they're going to be ahead or behind me anyway 😁
Almost in Angerville now, but just realized it's Sunday and I'd guessed it was Friday..so no cachet/ stamp unless I get lucky and the tourist information office is open. The stamps from the Marie office are prettiest though! 😂
That's my rest stop over, I must continue with my way.
Ready feet? Let's go!
Peacenlovenostuffx 😘
On you go, on you go. You have hit a lovely note in your postings, David. Thanks. I would say many of those following you would love to be doing what you are doing. And you are right to be patient. You will eventually be writing about how many pilgrims you see ahead of you!

Well, kicking myself now.
Had a brief"conversation"
I thought; She was saying there's a Pilgrim refuge in the last town. (Etampes) How sad you have to camp further on.
She was saying; There's a refuge in the last town ANGERVILLE. Two kilometres away.
In my head the last town was Etampes, so I said my tent was "tres bien!" No worries, shame that I missed the refuge.
Guess she figured that I must like camping or something 😂😂😂
A few miles away from Angerville and the penny dropped, oh Der! Too far to go back now.
I have however found a refuge in Artenay and given the phone number to French friends of mine. Just hoping they read it before I get there as they are not often checking their messages.
If not I'll try the tourist office or Marie's office for some assistance.
Plus side is I've found a reasonable place to camp, eaten a whole tin of "Cassoulet" and bought bread and orange juice.
No new photos today though, I keep my phone off except for Google maps.
But here's where I'm sleeping

I once arrived in a French village hoping the refuge would be open. I made the mistake of asking locals instead of at the Marie. I was told it was closed and so hoofed it another dozen km, when in fact the Marie had opened it up for another pilgrim already. Lesson learned, ask at the Marie.

Cassoulet from a tin? Another trip down memory lane.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I once arrived in a French village hoping the refuge would be open. I made the mistake of asking locals instead of at the Marie. I was told it was closed and so hoofed it another dozen km, when in fact the Marie had opened it up for another pilgrim already. Lesson learned, ask at the Marie.

Cassoulet from a tin? Another trip down memory lane.
I had kind of figured that the Marie was the best place for information... thanks for the confirmation.
It's 5am and the traffic says it's time for me to get up and make coffee...mmm coffee! 😊

I went to the Mairie. Got my cachet, showed him the list of accommodation in Artenay, he phoned the priest up, said he was in a hurry so he then took me around there himself!
Double bed! Shower! Electricity! What luxury!

€83,-
I went to the Mairie. Got my cachet, showed him the list of accommodation in Artenay, he phoned the priest up, said he was in a hurry so he then took me around there himself!
Double bed! Shower! Electricity! What luxury!
View attachment 52223
Enjoy it all! As you know every day is different, so make hay while the sun shines...
I do not mean to be macabre, but one of my elderly friends died yesterday, and therefore, all the more reason to live the moment you have, David! That moment will not come again. Others will, till someday... so, live, horse and you will get grass. Delighted to be following your Pilgrim Progress.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enjoy it all! As you know every day is different, so make hay while the sun shines...
I do not mean to be macabre, but one of my elderly friends died yesterday, and therefore, all the more reason to live the moment you have, David! That moment will not come again. Others will, till someday... so, live, horse and you will get grass. Delighted to be following your Pilgrim Progress.
Here and now...that is all.

Breakfast with my priestly friend. Managed to thank him for his hospitality and offered him a donation... All in french 😎
Three coffees! Yay! Coffee is a bit of a treat as I'm low on gas.
Hanging about now, waiting for the super market to open where I might buy a larger scale map, and possibly some gas 🤔
Not a full day today as I pass a nice piece of forest where I'm hoping to get some luxury wild camping in before Orleans. And it would be nice to have a shorter walk into Orleans the next day as well. Beginning to regret not buying those binoculars back in the UK; there's some very interesting birds hereabouts...at least I think that there are; l can't quite see 'em! 😂
Here's the church I slept by last night;

No luck with the maps or gas today, but luckily I passed through the woodlands I mentioned. Currently 5 miles away from Orleans, and ready to be the early bird and get there as soon as possible. Each stamp on my credencial is as exciting as the last. In fact this morning I received another! I had one from the Marie's office yesterday in Artenay, and one from the priest this morning... makes up for the lack of stamp in Angerville. And still, the Marie has the prettiest ones!
Once again I am all set up camp wise, and waiting for the sun to go down so that I can light the fire. Almost a 360 degree pinky crimson sunset, and I'm just beginning to feel the temperature going down.
Don't fret my fellow pilgrims, I'm fully appreciating how fortunate that I am at the moment. 😍🤗😘
Quick pictures, it's light up time!
Peacenlovenostuffx...as ever!

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_181337.jpg
    IMG_20190219_181337.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
David,
What a lovely pre-spring view!
I join all your digital forum friends in wishing you a Happy Birthday tomorrow plus many more in all the years to come!

Bon anniversaire and as always, Ultreia!

Since it's my birthday tomorrow I've treated myself to an extra night here in the hostel.
Otis Redding on the kindle; a couple of sleepeaze tablets... and this view.
Nice!
View attachment 52377
oh! Otis Redding! takes me right back to my teenage years! you have a lovely birthday, David. Aren't you the lucky guy to have all the well-wishers sharing your point of view with this lovely photo?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.