• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Epicamino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked this albergue!
Such a warm and gracious welcome.
There is also a convent down the street that has a service in the evening; a bunch of us went and it was so sweet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm in the albergue"Liberanos" for this evening, so just a short walk today . Not being able to get up and out until 7am this morning messed up my 5.30 starts a little, so it's dinner and an early night for this merry pilgrim.
The weather has brightened up but with a cool breeze still.
View attachment 56004View attachment 56005View attachment 56006View attachment 56007View attachment 56008
And have a look at the slightly scary water fountain 😱
View attachment 56009View attachment 56010
And the mural where the time has been taken to even paint the padlock and chain.
View attachment 56012
I am quite in the dark geography wise at this moment, David, but it seems to me that you are into a third phrase (don't you love that??? some people say that - as in: ah, don't worry, it's just a phrase she's going through) on your camino. You will certainly have the solid makings of a good Camino story by the time you are finished. Now, you are where you are. Hope you get your beauty sleep and the early start that will allow you to be cool while you walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am quite in the dark geography wise at this moment, David, but it seems to me that you are into a third phrase (don't you love that??? some people say that - as in: ah, don't worry, it's just a phrase she's going through) on your camino. You will certainly have the solid makings of a good Camino story by the time you are finished. Now, you are where you are. Hope you get your beauty sleep and the early start that will allow you to be cool while you walk.
It's 8 o clock and I am already thinking of bed 😁
If I had one tip, it would be an early morning. But with a very good head torch... and company.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ive just read all this, what a journey! Where are you now?

Bon Courage to you and Bon Chemin.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Currently I am in Hontanas. Pretty as a picture.
One of my favourite spots on the whole Frances. I love the way it just appears out of nowhere in front of you looking like the set for a spaghetti western :) Also the place where I first tasted patxaran 😋

Last edited:
Itero de le Vega. In the municipal refugue, and a meal being cooked up with Canada, south Korea and Finland 😁
The weather sure has come back to some heat, so the earlier starts are going to be continuing me thinks. A lunchtime finish makes for a much more pleasant days walk.
IMG_20190428_100711.jpgIMG_20190428_123954.jpgIMG_20190428_125219.jpgIMG_20190428_110515.jpgIMG_20190428_100711.jpgIMG_20190428_105247.jpgIMG_20190428_090542.jpgIMG_20190428_080200.jpgIMG_20190428_075119.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Such wonderful pics! Gracias!
Had lunch a couple of times in Villalcázar de Sirga, in the restaurant across from the church...but never managed to find the church open. :(
The river way between Fromista and there is much more pleasant than the road.

You're moving right along, David.
Don't go too fast - it'll be over before you know it.;)

Poblacion de Campos is my current location.
Municipal Albergue, €5 but the Korean girls have used all the hot water already 😂 So no shower for this sweaty pilgrim for an hour or so 🙄
I just met my first actual weirdo... he's good at cursing apparently... good luck with that mate 👿
And storks.. I like storks 😁

And long straight roads... I don't think that I like them anymore. I recall liking them back in France (a lifetime ago 😂 but I don't know why
IMG_20190429_113321.jpgIMG_20190429_083333.jpgIMG_20190429_120002.jpgIMG_20190429_072048.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just walked under a field of stars, banded by a shining milky way, then a slither of moon rose up, chased by a crimson dawn.
Welcome to the Camino.
View attachment 56317
David, you began your Camino and entrapped us with your story, and you continue so to do. Blessed be the rest of your way to the Field of Stars, pilgrim. You are truly blessed, and I know you know that.

I am now in Sahagun in the Benedictine auberge. A lovely welcome, unlike the other place I tried (which deserves a post of it's own later; stay tuned!)
€5 including the breakfast! Usually there is a communal meal, but since it's a holiday no shops are open so is pilgrims can't get anything to bring. Which means that I am now forced to eat out 😁 and celebrate making it halfway through the Spanish leg of my camino. Yay!
Sadly I have to report that the standard of pilgrim sculptures has still not improved 😂
IMG_20190501_134001.jpgIMG_20190501_114954.jpgIMG_20190501_114355.jpgIMG_20190501_114407.jpgIMG_20190501_122606.jpgIMG_20190501_122620.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tomorrow when you leave
Leon it is only 7 km to La Virgen del Camino and an extraordinary 20th century church. The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Located directly on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb the church is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to enter it; the calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass.

Opposite the church you can choose to either continue on the main camino which parallels the highway or pick up the peaceful alternative camino route going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues and regular accommodation. From V d M the alternative camino continues to Hospital de Órbigo to rejoin the main CF. You can read more about the alternative more rural route in this earlier Forum thread .

Hospital de Orbigo offers many accommodation options; one favorite is the Albergue Verde. They accept reservations and offer wonderful group meals each evening. Leaving HdO turn right to follow the camino towards Astorga via Santibanez de Valdeiglesias on a rolling rural path.

Carpe diem!

I like Sahagun. Back up the hill in town, there is a bakery in the triangle formed by the road spliting; it's my favourite bakery on the camino. Across the road is a tiny grocery - opens pretty early for us - run by a gruff looking sweetheart of a guy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the way to Sahagun yesterday I saw posters for the albergue "El Labriego" washing machines, air conditioning, bike garage, beautiful veranda, welcome drink etc and only €6.
Got there to be met by quite the most miserable person I have had the misfortune to encounter. Built like a body builder, almost threw my passport back at me when he could not find my photo in it. Ignoring every question. Slapped a stamp on my credencial like it had the plague. Washing machines weren't plumbed in, no air conditioning, hand washing sinks were filled with rubble, the veranda was not the one in the poster, and no cooling welcome drink! And €10 please. But your advertisement says €6.. This including breakfast... But I am gone at 5am and don't need breakfast... You can't do that!
But over and above all this he had a really strong vibe of being about to get violent in an instant. 😱
So I went back to the dorm, got my rucksack and stick and slipped out through a side door. 😂
A really horrible person and experience. I'm ex military police and was concerned about my safety!
Under new management apparently, but I can't see it working out well.
And he was like this to everyone, including the staff.
Avoid at all costs is my advice.
Go to the Benedictine refugue across the street, it's what I did, and it was delightful.
IMG_20190502_052055.jpgIMG_20190502_052041.jpg

David, hope you're not on the senda, but have taken the alternative way that goes through Calzadilla instead!
And @mspath 's suggestion of the alternate way out of Leon is right on. It's much better! Stay in Mazarife at Albergue San Anton de Padua. Such wonderful people there!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My confession. Each day, I get up, sometimes too early, and you haven't posted. Then I start asking myself, is he sick, is he okay, is everything alright, and panic sets in. :eek:
Where is my fix? How are you? Are you having fun? Are you well? ~ mom
EDIT: sorry, my mom vibe was leaking out!

Last edited:
Mansilla de las Mulas is where I stayed last night. Cheap albergue for €5. Only four of us, and since the albergue didn't do dinner or have a kitchen we all went to the hotel next door for our pilgrims meal. Went with the chef's recommended and it turned out to be the best pilgrims meal any of us had had. I don't know what he did to the pork, but it was delightful. 😁
I've just got to Leon, and intend to go right on through, I think that I have had my fill of cities and cathedrals for the time being.
IMG_20190504_074429.jpgIMG_20190504_073211.jpgIMG_20190504_064706.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hospital del Orbigo (sp?) was a great place.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Im pretty sure there will be Arms is a fair sized place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If not there, then Astorga, which is an easy 1 day walk from there for the likes of you at this point.
The road out of Mazarife felt like torture. Straighstraightstraight, and in an unpleasant way that the little roads on the earlier part of the meseta weren't.
But there is relief at the end of it. HdO is a nice place.

If not there, then Astorga, which is an easy 1 day walk from there for the likes of you at this point.
The road out of Mazarife felt like torture. Straighstraightstraight, and in an unpleasant way that the little roads on the earlier part of the meseta weren't.
But there is relief at the end of it. HdO is a nice place.
Straight straight straight is right! 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm here... and it's only 3 o clock. 😁
IMG_20190505_144304.jpgIMG_20190505_141409.jpg
Saw some storks that think outside the box earlier
IMG_20190505_140036.jpgIMG_20190505_140022.jpg
And some more of these pilgrim's stone sculptures
IMG_20190505_134555.jpg
Time for a shower, then with luck find a shop that is open on a Sunday. 🤔

Once again this merry pilgrim is on his way.
I think that I may be leaving the Meseta now judging by the terrain. A town coming up, which means a bank, which means my usual worries of pressing the wrong button and losing my card.🙄 Much regrets not learning some Spanish before leaving, but then I did leave two weeks after deciding to go...
IMG_20190506_065947.jpgIMG_20190506_082733.jpgIMG_20190506_082648.jpgIMG_20190506_084808.jpg

I may have spoken a little too soon, there's more long straight roads 😓
IMG_20190506_122746.jpgIMG_20190506_120825.jpg
And I managed to get myself into a right state worrying about messing up at the ATM 🙄 I was down to my last€5 in cash! Waited for an ATM attached to a bank that was open, just incase. But I'm all good now. Phew! 😌
Storks! 😁
IMG_20190506_131528.jpg
Santa Catalina...

I may have spoken a little too soon, there's more long straight roads 😓
View attachment 56777View attachment 56778
And I managed to get myself into a right state worrying about messing up at the ATM 🙄 I was down to my last€5 in cash! Waited for an ATM attached to a bank that was open, just incase. But I'm all good now. Phew! 😌
Storks! 😁
View attachment 56779
Santa Catalina...
So, can you repeat the steps taken to get your card in, and your money out? Well done,, David! you are now solvent again! Don't go too fast. Your pace is keeping me on an even keel here in the other world zone!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lovely day's walk ahead, David.
The evening chanting in Rabinal is so special. A highlight, every time. And there is the albergue...the cofraternity one with the garden and afternoon tea.
Both are completely wonderful.

A lovely day's walk ahead, David.
The evening chanting in Rabinal is so special. A highlight, every time. And there is the albergue...the cofraternity one with the garden and afternoon tea.
Both are completely wonderful.
I'm in Rabanal del Camino now, and it's only 10.30am.
That's thrown my plans... I'd better have another coffee and a think.
Is the chanting not to be missed? 🤔🤔🤔 what's the name of the confraternity one?
IMG_20190507_095402.jpg

I'm in Rabanal del Camino now, and it's only 10.30am.
That's thrown my plans... I'd better have another coffee and a think.
Is the chanting not to be missed? 🤔🤔🤔 what's the name of the confraternity one?
Recommended if you are there in the late afternoon. If you are there at 10.30 am I'd say get yourself over that hill, in particular since it looks like it might get more windy tomorrow ... but that is just my humble opinion and I'm very far from where you are.

Always enjoying your comments and photos.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Recommended if you are there in the late afternoon. If you are there at 10.30 am I'd say get yourself over that hill, in particular since it looks like it might get more windy tomorrow ... but that is just my humble opinion and I'm very far from where you are.

Always enjoying your comments and photos.
But then again it is rather pretty here, and a hill in the morning sounds better, and I could do some washing...😂
The"Gaucelmo" albergue has some good reviews... 🤔🤔🤔

Gaucelmo is the one I was talking about.
It's a bit of a way over that hill to Acebo. You could keep going to Foncebadon, I suppose...
But, yeah. Rabinal is special.
A longish day from there you can be in Ponferrada anyway. So a short day today and a longer one tomorrow...why not?

Gaucelmo is the one I was talking about.
It's a bit of a way over that hill to Acebo. You could keep going to Foncebadon, I suppose...
But, yeah. Rabinal is special.
A longish day from there you can be in Ponferrada anyway. So a short day today and a longer one tomorrow...why not?
Guess that I'll have to stay there next time as I am now in Foncebadon, 😂
Domus Dei albergue for me. Chilled out reception from Renny a confessed Camino junky 😂
No pictures I'm afraid, poor signal here, but I shall edit some in momentarily when I get WiFi at the café I'm heading to.
PeacenlovenostuffxPANO_20190507_135845.jpgIMG_20190507_123602.jpgIMG_20190507_122952.jpgIMG_20190507_095402.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This very long journey will be over in a blink of an eye. I hope you are able to revel in, and savour, the final days of pilgrimating!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your post cracked me up, David.
What is funny is not so much the message, but the contrast between the real-time photo and the composed avatar.
Look, everyone: This is what the camino does to us. 🤣
And isn't it wonderful?:cool:

(May your steps be steady on the back side of that hill!)

Molinaseca.
Well that walk tired my feet out, some rough terrain to stumble upon. Quite beautiful though, and my head popped up into the clouds a few times.
Made it to the alburgue 15 minutes before it opened, so got me a good bed. Nobody sleeping above me. 😱
Got to the cross nice and early and left the stone I've carried all the way from Wales, leaked out a few tears I must confess.
Off to the supermarket now...may even get some fruit and vegetables. 😂
IMG_20190508_074633.jpgIMG_20190508_074721.jpgIMG_20190508_081119.jpgIMG_20190508_085234.jpgIMG_20190508_100703.jpgIMG_20190508_122225.jpg

Molinaseca.
Well that walk tired my feet out, some rough terrain to stumble upon. Quite beautiful though, and my head popped up into the clouds a few times.
Made it to the alburgue 15 minutes before it opened, so got me a good bed. Nobody sleeping above me. 😱
Got to the cross nice and early and left the stone I've carried all the way from Wales, leaked out a few tears I must confess.
Off to the supermarket now...may even get some fruit and vegetables. 😂
View attachment 56878View attachment 56879View attachment 56880View attachment 56881View attachment 56882View attachment 56883
So, you are taking me back along 13 years, David. the dawn arrival at the Cruz de Ferro. The scenery that was almost as beautiful as my home country, the famous Tomas albergue, the fantastic breakfast copying the miners from the south of Spain, the works plus vino to wash it down... and then, those guys rolling down the hilll behind and then passing us, smoking away to their hearts content...buen camino. You are getting nearer., One step at a time. Thanks for the memories.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not losing the plot as I wrote it down before I left! 😂
A bit rainy today, umbrella is even up 😱 But on time for a lunchtime check in at an alburgue, so I'm good.
All built up this way, unlike yesterday's beauty, but a cool castle
IMG_20190509_085211.jpgIMG_20190509_094731.jpgIMG_20190509_085721.jpg

So I am now in Cacabelos, in the municipal Albergue. Someone said that they look like horse stables...they may be right, I'll upload a photo later.
Raining now, which is okay with me all tucked away in my bed.
Only 200km to go now...mmm.
IMG_20190509_123925.jpg
And here's the only decent landscape that I saw today...
IMG_20190509_120914.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you have time, or when you feel like it. If you don't consider this too intrusive but to satisfy some of my curiosity--can you tell us about either your favorite meal so far on your epicamino, or what your main meal was like today? I sure enjoy reading along!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

When you have time, or when you feel like it. If you don't consider this too intrusive but to satisfy some of my curiosity--can you tell us about either your favorite meal so far on your epicamino, or what your main meal was like today? I sure enjoy reading along!!!!!!!!! Thank you.
You are not his marmy. So who are you to him?!!!
I think the title of this story is just so apt. It is an epic.

In all honesty the best meal is generally the one I last ate. But a memorable one would be back in France when I once found myself eating bread and water for lunch, but it tasted fantastic!
The albergue "Emaus" in Burgos served a splendid steak...then another...and another! 😁
Today I had cheese and tomato in yesterday's bread... yummy, but looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast! 😂

After you get to Santiago (google says St Davids, Wales to SDC is 1458 miles by car) and have said hello to @t2andreo and the folks at the pilgrim office, the pilgrim house, and of course St James, continue on to the ocean, and rest a bit. That'll add another 100 more km.

Then walk back home? A bit over 4600 km round trip ...

🤔😁

A tortilla sandwich. I had to look this up. It is not a tortilla spread with cheese/meat/vegetables, rolled up and cut into pieces. Is this the spanish potato omelet, then put between pieces of bread, spread with something like mayonnaise?
Thank you by the way, ~ not your momma

After you get to Santiago (google says St Davids, Wales to SDC is 1458 miles by car) and have said hello to @t2andreo and the folks at the pilgrim office, the pilgrim house, and of course St James, continue on to the ocean, and rest a bit. That'll add another 100 more km.

Then walk back home? A bit over 4600 km round trip ...

🤔😁
Oh... what to do after Santiago?...🤔🤔🤔

A tortilla sandwich. I had to look this up. It is not a tortilla spread with cheese/meat/vegetables, rolled up and cut into pieces. Is this the spanish potato omelet, then put between pieces of bread, spread with something like mayonnaise?
Thank you by the way, ~ not your momma
Potato omelette in a sandwich...but I never had any mayonnaise! 😱

Snoring and twelve itching mosquito bites kept me from sleeping most of the night. 😠
Funny enough now though... especially since I have just made it up this challenging hill.
IMG_20190511_074114.jpgIMG_20190511_073211.jpgIMG_20190511_075823.jpgIMG_20190511_075032.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I watched them all--it all seems so peaceful.:) You must have just taken those today or yesterday?
I liked the one with the wisps of steam coming off the coffee.

Last edited:

€83,-
Maybe bed bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.