• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Episode 27 - Johnnie Walker's Santiago

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019

Johnnie Walker is one of the most prominent names associated with the Camino de Santiago these days. Ever since moving to Santiago de Compostela, Johnnie has taken an active role in re-shaping the English-speaking pilgrim's experience in the city, and he has recently emerged as a prolific guidebook author as well. In this episode, Johnnie shares how he got started as a pilgrim, picked up his nom de plume, and his affection for the Camino Inglés. He's followed by our first return guest, Brian Bouldrey, whose new anthology, Inspired Journeys: Travel Writers in Search of the Muse, explores the concept of secular pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just listened to this great interview, I meet him once very briefly he overhead me talking about the Camino Levante in Hotel San Martin Pinarrio. I was just on my way to the Airport would loved to have a proper chat with him.

Johnnie Walker is one of the most prominent names associated with the Camino de Santiago these days. Ever since moving to Santiago de Compostela, Johnnie has taken an active role in re-shaping the English-speaking pilgrim's experience in the city, and he has recently emerged as a prolific guidebook author as well. In this episode, Johnnie shares how he got started as a pilgrim, picked up his nom de plume, and his affection for the Camino Inglés. He's followed by our first return guest, Brian Bouldrey, whose new anthology, Inspired Journeys: Travel Writers in Search of the Muse, explores the concept of secular pilgrimage.
I loved listening to Johnnie. And his account of what it feels like to hit the trail is so akin to what I experience, namely the joy and excitement when I set foot on the trail, the gratitude that I can actually do this physically, emotionally, psychologically, financially, that my family and work collegues support it and that if it came down to it I could survive with a 6 kg backpack, walk through beautiful nature and villages and meet good people...
His work reaching out to English speaking pilgrims is fantastic.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is excellent and so very enjoyable, to hear John' voice and hear his summary and musings on the recent camino related activities in Santiago. Like Gitti and many, I'm sure, I also relate to John's thoughts on what it feels like to be on camino. Earlier this year, first day back on the VdlP, it felt like 'home'. The head cleared, the body breathed a huge sigh and I knew this was where I was meant to be.

This feeling is pretty powerful . . . and addictive.

I was unaware of Johnnie Walker and after listening, I am humbled by what he has done for the English-speaking pilgrims. Thank-you, Johnnie. And thanks to the Camino Podcast...time for me to search for previous episodes.
--jim--

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back