• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Episode 33 - Volunteering on the Way

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Most people only experience the Camino as pilgrims. However, there are many ways to engage with the pilgrim road, and a number of these include rich volunteer opportunities. This episode focuses on three different possibilities. The Ditch Pigs are an annual clean-up crew, organized by Rebekah Scott, and two members of this year's group--Amelia and Jim--bring us into the middle of the action. The most common form of giving back for pilgrims is to serve as hospitaleros; Julie-Ann Milne trains hospitaleros in Sydney, Australia, and she discusses what the work entails and why it matters. Finally, it's also possible to serve in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago; Tom ( @t2andreo ) has been spending weeks there each summer for a number of years, and he takes us behind the curtain. It's a mix of personal stories and practical advice, in the hope of inspiring more of us to contribute, however we can.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really enjoyed listening to the interviews. Thanks for sharing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Excellent interviews and so interesting to listen to and learn a bit more about Hospitalero training and then ,I found the interview wwwirh Tom to be exceedingly informative. Thankyou Dave for the opportunity to learn so much more of what actually goes on behind the scenes. Susan Morris...convenor of Australian Pilgrims on the Camino and beyond, and, one of the walkers in The Camino Skies Documentary which came out this year. CHEERS.

Thanks again, Dave. My husband and I have been hospitaleross voluntarios 3 Times now. Twice in the winter and once in the summer. It is a great experience, but no vacation. That is hard to explain to co-workers who equate Christmas in Spain with visions of a beach somewhere.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back