Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Episode 36 - The Story of Galicia

Dave

Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I learned a bunch making this episode and I think many of you will, too. Hope you like it!

Episode 36 - The Story of Galicia

Galicia, the northwest corner of Spain and the home of Santiago de Compostela, is beloved by most pilgrims. It is a place ensconced in legend, with stories ranging from its Celtic origins to the persistence of witches and the Santa Compaña. This episode explores the region's history and stories. Dr. Sharif Gemie, author of Galicia: A Concise History, provides a survey of Galicia from its disputed origins to its contemporary cultural resurgence. Dr. Kristin Valentine follows with a description of two local pilgrimages, or romerías, to Muxía and Teixido. Combined, they are likely to challenge some of your assumptions about the region and also reveal some interesting new details.

https://soundcloud.com/user-939742370%2Fepisode-36-the-story-of-galicia

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I didn't know that the Galicians were considered hostile, rude and lazy for centuries.
In the last century the Galicians were considered one of the most hard workers of Spain and still now they are . Actually, lazy and rude are the worse adjectives for the current Galician people.
Before 19th century most land was owned by the Church and most of it was unproductive. During 19th century this land was confiscated and finally transferred to the people. This is the only reason that I found in history for the change in the vision of work of Galician people.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads