Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Podcast Episode 54 - A Pilgrimage to Lourdes

Dave

Year of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Episode 54 - A Pilgrimage to Lourdes

163 years ago, the Virgin Mary is said to have made a series of appearances before a young Bernadette Soubirous in a grotto in the French Pyrenean town of Lourdes. Some 200 million pilgrims and 70 "official" miracles later, Lourdes stands as one of the world's major Catholic pilgrimage sites, known in particular for that association with miraculous healing. This episode features stories from two different pilgrims to Lourdes. Marlene Watkins, the foundress of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers (lourdesvolunteers.org), has led many groups of volunteers and ill pilgrims to the town. Meanwhile, Lauren Selden visited Lourdes as a walking pilgrim, as part of a larger walk between Le Puy-en-Velay and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

https://soundcloud.com/user-939742370%2Fepisode-54-a-pilgrimage-to-lourdes

Unique engravings about the Camino de Santiago from Gabriel and other art objects.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Lourdes, while overcrowded is still beautiful and worth the side trip there.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Lourdes, while overcrowded is still beautiful and worth the side trip there.
Wouldn't call it a "side trip", it's a major pilgrimage destination in itself.

Though as to the crowds, well, there are tricks and ways to evade most of them except near the Grotto itself.

Dave

First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I also thought Lauren's point in the podcast was well taken: regardless of which chemin you take in your approach to Lourdes (if you're passing through on foot), the crowds of pilgrims in Lourdes are such a dramatic change of pace from the peace and solitude elsewhere along the way that they can actually make for a novel and positive experience--especially if you aren't going to make it to Santiago on that trip.

I certainly have (even pre-COVID) a default anti-crowd mentality, but there's a lot of power in so many faithful all drawn together in one space, and I loved having that as a complement to the charming village life and quiet trails. (I don't know that I could stay a week, though!)

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads