• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Epsom salt substitutes for muscles

SeattleWoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in June 2018
Hi there-
I like to take Epsom salt baths after a long workout to soothe my muscles. Any suggestions on a similar type of produce to either rub or apply to my muscles while doing the CF, since taking a bath would be a rare luxury?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there-
I like to take Epsom salt baths after a long workout to soothe my muscles. Any suggestions on a similar type of produce to either rub or apply to my muscles while doing the CF, since taking a bath would be a rare luxury?
Thanks!

Other than having a nice smell, and bubbles to play with (depending on brand) I can't say I've every actually found salts to be beneficial........

The most effective thing I have found when walking a Camino to to Stretch!

When I get up.
Before I start walking.
At every break before I start walking again.
When I stop walking at the end of the day.
And at any other time my muscles feel tight!

I also make sure I'm well hydrated.
And I eat lots of bananas. (apparently they help)

Never had any major issues..........

Though each morning, I have a kind of pre flight or warm up process.
After I stretch and get going, I go slow (even slower) for the first 20 minutes or so.
I'm looking out for aches and pains, poorly laced boots, hot spots. ill fitting pack, anything that doesn't feel right.
I stop and adjust or stretch more as required.
During this phase muscles can sometimes be a little bit tight and sore.
Once warmed up........all is good for the day and I can up my pace a bit.

P.S. @SeattleWoman. Don't over think your first Camino ;) (we all do a bit)
You get up, you walk, you take breaks, you eat, you sleep. You repeat daily.
You 'make do' with what you have on your back or what you can get along the way.
You live simply, without any of the baggage or 'stuff' you think you 'need' from home.
You soon realise you don't need them anyway.......

Stuff will go wrong, that you hadn't planned for.
You suck it up. You deal with it. You move on.......
And life is good :D

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
this is what I am using:
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Kirkman-Labs-Magnesium-Sulfate-Cream-4-oz-113-g/58420
works great - especially when one does not have handy a traveling bath-tub nor pounds of epsom salts...
the company 'iHerb' is good - ordering there since spring of 2000. (if you'd use my code NIS 057 on the first order above 20$ you get 5$ off (first order over 40$ you get 10$ off)

find the creme very useful - applied after warm/hot showers. And take it with me always when traveling, schlepping luggage, etc.
or even if not traveling, but feeling some pulls and tweezes at the knee or wherever else muscle-related.
magnesium is food for the muscles - and one would need to eat lots of bananas to reach levels needed. well, at least more than i am prepared to eat, as bananas can be a challenge to digest for some body-types.

and after strenuous expercise/walks .... be mindful of resting enough as well. very restorative :)

PS: Description
  • (Topical Epsom Salt Preparation)
  • Absorbs Quickly and Easily

Kirkman's Magnesium Sulfate Cream is a soft, creamy and very quickly absorbed emulsion containing 100 mg of Magnesium Sulfate per one gram of cream. It is specially formulated for individuals with special requirements and sensitivities in a non-irritating base.
Magnesium sulfate, also known as Epsom salts, has been valued for many years because of its diverse benefits. Rich in both magnesium and sulfur compounds, Epsom salts and Epsom salt soaks and baths have been used for a multitude of different situations.

Suggested Use
Rub on one gram of cream, 1-4 times daily on large area of the body such as the back or shoulders.

Other Ingredients
Purified water, magnesium sulfate USP, glycerine, glyceryl dilaurate, glyceryl stearate, PEG 100 stearate, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, isopropyl myristate, imidurea NF, guar gum, methyl paraben, propyl paraben.

Free Of: Sucrose, soy, casein, gluten, wheat, egg, milk, artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, yeast, gelatin, peanuts, fish or tree nuts.
Each one gram of cream supplies 100 mg of Epsom Salt USP.

What stretch exercises do you do on a Camino?

I guess it depends on what you need to stretch ;)
By that I mean, any specific issues you have.
As with all these things I would seek professional advice to meet your requirements.
I was advised by a podiatrist and a physio prior to starting, as well as other physios en route.
One Physio in Ponferrada actually took me into their mini gym to teach me stretches and heel dips.
As well as taught me how to strap my feet myself!

My specific issues before starting were.
Strained lower back muscles.
Achilles tendonitis in both feet.
In the last 200 kms I started to develop shin splints. that one really slowed me down ...... Damned painful.

So with all that in mind, my stretch routine was as follows.

Before getting out of bed, lie on back and arch upwards. Thrusting pelvis up.
A bit like pelvic floor exercises.
Turn on stomach and place hands shoulder height, push up, keeping pelvis on bed. Arching back like a cat.
Lie on back and rotate ankles back and forth to warm up tendons.
Get up. Shuffle about until tendons warmed up.
Lie flat on floor, do cat stretch again.
Face wall, hands on wall, one foot back. Do calf and achilles stretch.

That got me moving.

During the day I would often stop to do the 'cat' back stretches and achilles / calf stretches.
In fact the achilles stretches I would do almost every km walked and at all breaks.

At night, repeat the morning routine.
It only takes 3-4 minutes.

I never found anything to help with shin pain. Other than strapping, which only helped a bit.
I'll spend some time with my Physio getting advice on that before our next Camino.
Anyone else find something that helps?

Shin pain really got painful on steep descents.
Use poles (with lots of your weight on them).
And tread softly! I would almost tip toe down the steep sections or criss cross my way down them.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess it depends on what you need to stretch ;)
So with all that in mind, my stretch routine was as follows.

Thank you very much for your long answer!!!

I have not got issues at the moment.
But I think I should add some stretch routine to my daily Camino routine next year before I have got problems (+ effective pole usage, + drinking enough, + walking at own pace, + listen to my body, + blister prevention, + not too much weight, +...).
I have heard of so many painful tendonitis and shin splints stories. And how difficult it is to do something if you have got these health issues.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your long answer!!!

I have not got issues at the moment.
But I think I should add some stretch routine to my daily Camino routine next year before I have got problems (+ effective pole usage, + drinking enough, + walking at own pace, + listen to my body, + blister prevention, + not too much weight, +...).
I have heard of so many painful tendonitis and shin splints stories. And how difficult it is to do something if you have got these health issues.

Certainly best to avoid them! ;)
Sadly mine are here to stay........ caused by over training for my 1st Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had some foot pain and tried to buy Epsom salt for a foot soak. but could not find it. I checked in multiple farmacias without luck. I also looked in the supermercado by all the bath stuff no luck. There was the occasional albergue that a tub with salt and vinegar. I used Physiorelax cream pretty regularly and it seemed to help ... you can get it in the farmacia. You can buy magnesium tablets in the farmacia, but I just drank one or two Aquarius Limon a day. A preventive stretching before the Camino would be a great idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
A page on the WebMD website has:

How Does [an Epsom Salt Bath] Work?

In water, it breaks down into magnesium and sulfate. The theory is that when you soak in an Epsom salt bath, these get into your body through your skin. That hasn't been proven, but just soaking in warm water can help relax muscles and loosen stiff joints.

[Edit: As a postscript don't soak your feet until done walking. Soaking will soften your skin and can lead to an increased chance of blisters.]

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Magnesium, that's it. Bananas! :D
Yoghurt, nuts.....
All good stuff that you can find easily and munch as you are walking.......
https://draxe.com/magnesium-deficient-top-10-magnesium-rich-foods-must-eating/
Try it the old fashioned way

You can buy magnesium tablets in the farmacia, but I just drank one or two Aquarius Limon a day.

Rather than topical creams you could just opt for magnesium supplements.

Skip the topical remedies. Do the above.

I formerly developed severe leg cramps after exercise, as in roll on the floor in pain (and hate bananas). While visiting my son and daughter-in-law in Germany I saw and purchased one of a variety of offerings of Magnesium or Magnesium-Calcium-D3 effervescent tablets that one dissolves in a big glass of water. Probably some combination of replacing minerals and hydrating is what does the trick but I haven't had any cramps since using this when I do a lot of exercise or walking. I haven't yet checked General Nutrition type stores here in US because, God bless her, my daughter-in-law has kept me well supplied.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I formerly developed severe leg cramps after exercise, as in roll on the floor in pain (and hate bananas). While visiting my son and daughter-in-law in Germany I saw and purchased one of a variety of offerings of Magnesium or Magnesium-Calcium-D3 effervescent tablets that one dissolves in a big glass of water. Probably some combination of replacing minerals and hydrating is what does the trick but I haven't had any cramps since using this when I do a lot of exercise or walking. I haven't yet checked General Nutrition type stores here in US because, God bless her, my daughter-in-law has kept me well supplied.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Natural-Vitality-Natural-Calm-Sweet-Lemon-Flavor-16-oz-453-g/5122
yes, those fizzy tabs are very available and popular here in europe.

this supplement above - available in the usa of course - also dissolves in water (use a bit of hot/very warm first to make it 'fizz' - then add more warm water and drink it perhaps like tea.
start w/ a small amount first to see how your body reacts.
also very good for sleep-aid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there-
Thanks!

Magnesium

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Spanish is pretty basic ... I asked for sal de Epsom. They showed me several different creams etc. in the farmacia, but maybe I should have asked for magnesium sulfate? Any suggestion by a native Spanish speaker?

@SeattleWoman I am not sure that the product really matters - there are lots of opinions out there and interesting solutions.

Giving oneself a good massage of the calves and feet, and any other body part that is achy feels awesome. Tied with a little research into pressure points, knots, and the location of tendons, it was a really useful exercise (ahem, sorry for the pun) at the end and middle of the day. I carried a small, knobbly, massage ball to help with the feet, legs and arms. It would have worked on the back too, but I was too squeamish and shy to lie down on the floor and roll around in front of other pilgrims.

I bought some sort of "mystery" foot recover cream a few days in. The cream didn't do anything, but was a great massage oil - and I got really good at massaging my feet. I forgot the cream at an albergue and never replaced it - didn't really miss it afterwards. I forgot the massage ball somewhat later, and really missed it.

People also used Vicks Vapo Rub and swore by it. I gather it helps cool down achy feet and it certainly makes them smell (better or worse depends on your point of view).

believe something works, it usually does
remember my grandma's story... she got a high fever, her mom left on her bedside the 'aspilets' where some 5 buttons & alarm clock, she was been told to take 1 tablet when she hears the alarm. When her mom came back, she was scolded for not taking the aspilets. Then my grandmom wonder what did she took then, when the aspilets still complete and 4 buttons & alarm clock was there on her bedside.:p

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
TUMS work really well - 1 or 2 depending on severity - drink lots of water with them - takes about 60 seconds for relief to start or be complete. Always keep in my day pack, bike pannier and night table.

Hi there-
Thanks!

I used a magnesium spray on my large muscles after my walk before taking a hot shower. Also took a small bottle of magnesium gel with me which I rubbed into my legs before bed. Found that it drastically reduced the muscle pain. Just a little caution, use both the spray and the gel before going on the Camino to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction. I found that it sometimes caused me to itch! You don’t want that happening while you are walking and far from a shower or bath.

Magnesium, that's it. Bananas! :D
Yoghurt, nuts.....
All good stuff that you can find easily and munch as you are walking.......
https://draxe.com/magnesium-deficient-top-10-magnesium-rich-foods-must-eating/
Try it the old fashioned way ;)
Ummm, though this thread has been around for a few months, I did notice something that really needed to be pointed out about Bananas. They do not provide magnesium. They do provide potassium. Here is an exerpt from a site whose link is at the bottom of this post;

Benefits of Banana

A look into the nutritional breakdown of bananas and it reveals the following: per 100 grams, it contains 0.3 gm total fat, zero cholesterol, 1 mg salt, about 360 mg potassium, 2.6 gm dietary fiber, 12 gm sugar and 1.1 gm protein.

https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/b...-include-the-fruit-in-your-daily-diet-1216006

€60,-
Well the whole point with epsom salts is getting magnesium into your body. In the USA topical magnesium sprays are quite popular and readily available - not sure about Spain.
Check with your health care provider first but I suggest daily intake magnesium capsules..they work for your joints and muscles and also keep you regular . This is speaking from experience with chronic joint pain and misbehaving knees. And dont forget the bananas, potassium will help and maybe some peanut butter and nuts for energy along with a B-complex vitamin

Last edited:
Salt and vinegar.... Not just for chips also great for a foot bath.

Reminds me of a time 50 years ago (shocking thought!) when we used to use vinegar bandages on the swollen legs of our horses and ponies. It was considered a good cooling procedure for windgalls etc. After a show or exercise we'd hose down the legs and then put on bandages over gamgee (sort of like cotton wool sheets covered in muslin) which had been soaked in vinegar water.

Remember the nursery rhyme Jack and Jill? Jack was wrapped up in "vinegar and brown paper" after he "broke his crown" ie bumped his head.

But I still stand by my recommendation for Magnesium.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In my rucksack, along with my cream of arnica for traumas and local inflammations, I always carry an old traditional Italian "magic" oil to soothe tired and/or aching muscles:
  • 9,5 ml of grape seed oil (almond and olive oil are good as well!)
  • 6 drops of ginger essential oil
  • 6 drops of rosemary essential oil
P.S. Spanish runners, instead of camphor oil, use rosemary oil mixed to olive oil to warm their muscles before competitions. You can find the aceite de romero everywhere in Spain. ;)

I think you will find it is the potassium that is the most beneficial in bananas. It is is needed in the cells of your entire body
http://www.temptnutrition.com/human-battery-sodium-and-potassium/
(the Sodium/ Potassium pump)

Adverse to bananas, here are options:

https://www.prevention.com/eatclean/13-foods-that-have-more-potassium-than-a-banana/slide/13
most of which you can get on the Camino

When it comes to magnesium, it is the Magnesium / Calcium ratio you have to manage:
http://www.goodhealth.co.nz/health-articles/article/9-reasons-you-need-magnesium

All these links are popular- scientific articles.
Go deep if you want the absolute correct information

Last edited:
I think you will find it is the potassium that is the most beneficial in bananas. It is is needed in the cells of your entire body
http://www.temptnutrition.com/human-battery-sodium-and-potassium/
(the Sodium/ Potassium pump)

Adverse to bananas, here are options:

https://www.prevention.com/eatclean/13-foods-that-have-more-potassium-than-a-banana/slide/13
most of which you can get on the Camino

When it comes to magnesium, it is the Magnesium / Calcium ratio you have to manage:
http://www.goodhealth.co.nz/health-articles/article/9-reasons-you-need-magnesium

All these links are popular- scientific articles.
Go deep if you want the correct information

:eek: Potatoes, tomato sauce, spinach/chard (am assuming Spanish equivalents here), white beans, yoghurt. It’s good to know that based on standard pilgrim fare, most pilgrims will not be deficient in potassium.

Have to admit I make my own magnesium “oil” using magnesium chloride and demineralised water. I use it as a deodorant. Whether it is effective in getting absorbed through my skin I don’t know but having tried a multitude of homemade deodorants I am absolutely certain that it is the only one that works for me. I doubt it will be any worse for my health than any other chemical concoction most of which contain far more than two ingredients, one of which is water.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have looked into something that would replenish electrolytes (especially sodium, potassium and magnesium) in an easy and practical way and, together with a creative pharmacist, came up with a solution (pun intended).

I brought a small bottle of sport drops for endurance athletes on my camino, as a precautionary measure. I never had cramps or any other muscle related problems, so either I was in excellent shape or it worked.

I bought these drops in the Netherlands, where they are known as Vitals Elete Sportdruppels. I put a daily 20 drops in half a liter of water (tasteless) and drank that, just in case. My pharmacist is a big proponent of natural and practical remedies and approved. I just looked to see if it is available outside of Holland and found it here.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.