• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment - A newcomer's thoughts

annelise

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
As a first-timer (soon to be) on the camino, I have been delighted to find this website. I am so thankful for alle the knowledge shared by oldtimers and experienced members – also with regard to what to take onto the camino.

I am very well aware that I need to carry a light pack, and you are all giving such great – although sometimes differing – advice. But the gist of your advice is always: only take the bare necessities! I totally agree, but collectively seen, a summing of 'bare necessities', could mean going with a pack weighing somewhat more than recommended (and discarding along the way).

What I have been doing so far is to make a lot of cut and paste from your mails into one doc, so that I could get an overview of all your recommendations and pros and cons with regard to the individual items (but not brands or recommendations with regard to boots/shoes or rucksacks).

It has been a lovely exercise – and has helped me in planning what things to take (but I am not through yet – the end will come when I put the equipment on scales).

If anybody wish to know which information on items to bring I have culled so far, please feel free to PM me for my extracts. I am, however, afraid that when I made the cut and paste I did so from the texts directly, so the helpful contributors are not acknowledged in the extracts. Sorry about that!

Kind regards,
annelise

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If its any consolation I have now completed 8 Caminos and I have still have not found the perfect list of equipment to pack. Each Camino sees both a discarding and an upgrading of stuff to carry.

Part of the reason for the changes is that the Camino itself is always developing and that makes changes inevitable. In 1998 I found I had to carry cereal because it was not always possible to buy breakfast. That is now much rarer and more bars and private albergues have opened.

In 1998 there was no platypus so we had to carry bottles of water. Now we have a choice.

In 1998 there were no bed bugs and no need to think about carrying necessary repelent.

I have also grown older and more poorly so that whereas once I only needed one walking stick I find that I now need 2 for help to get up the hills!

No matter what, no more than 8kg and less if possible.

Beun Camino.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
No matter what, no more than 8kg and less if possible.

Amen. It's very likely that the most important Camino packing tool you can get yourself is a small battery-powered countertop digital kitchen (baking) scale. Weigh everything! Every single item weighs more than we're accustomed to appreciating.These weights can be annotated on your packing list. One of the handheld scales for weighing packed luggage is also incredibly handy, for weighing the completed bag.

And do yourself a favor by allowing two weeks for this process at least. I made the mistake of waiting until 3 days out on my first trip, which didn't leave much time for finding alternatives to the things that turned out to weigh a surprising ton!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And do yourself a favor by allowing two weeks for this process at least. I made the mistake of waiting until 3 days out on my first trip, which didn't leave much time for finding alternatives to the things that turned out to weigh a surprising ton!

Absolutely.

A couple of months before I walk I start throwing equipment into a big box so there is no last minute rushing around to find stuff that was put away in the wrong place. It also gives you time to look for lighter alternatives.

Don't forget to allow for the rucksack itself.

If need be, weigh yourself on bathroom scales then put empty rucksack on and re-weigh so you can add it to your list.

@ Kitsambler
ditto the scale thing, BUT
somehow when i wasnt looking
in the 3 days prior to departure
the 8kg every gram of which id lovingly measured
erupted by an additional 4kgs
"stuff" appeared which seemed like a good idea, essential, just in case, cool, handy, blah blah
and some of this kit was really sticky
it took me 3 weeks of carrying without using an additional fleecy top (crucial emergency gear), gaiters (critical), a collapsable bucket (really good idea), poop trowel (very eco friendly)
for me to dump these items
why oh why didnt i listen to the veterans

Funny you should mention the poop trowel. It's one of the last things on my ?yes/?no list.

Although it's a good idea, how many actually take it?

lynne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
lynnejohn said:
Funny you should mention the poop trowel. It's one of the last things on my ?yes/?no list.

Although it's a good idea, how many actually take it?

lynne

I carry one regularly when I walk in the local national parks, etc. but decided that I didn't need one for the Camino. Once I got used to buying a drink so I could use the toilet in a bar/cafe, finding a toilet ceased to be a problem.

There were places, though, where one wished others had been carrying a trowel.

Doug

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Absolutely.

A couple of months before I walk I start throwing equipment into a big box so there is no last minute rushing around to find stuff that was put away in the wrong place. It also gives you time to look for lighter alternatives.

Thanks for that advice. That was very helpfull. I have all the equipment in my backpack right now.. but it's not a good solution. (I'm walking my first camino in june). Actually I was searching for one important thing today and I can't find it.. so hopefully I won't lose more stuff now when I've put all the stuff in a box. :)

Best regards/ Pibicamino

Actually I was searching for one important thing today and I can't find it.. so hopefully I won't lose more stuff

This is an excellent time for you to be putting stuff in particular places in your pack so you can find them easily when you have to! There are several things to consider--weight--lightest at the bottom, heaviest nearest your back--but also consider when and how you need stuff. I packed my sleeping liner at the top--right under the lid, packed my toothbrush and paste in the lid--that way I was able to get out quickly and efficiently in the morning.

The more you pack your stuff and unpack, the more you will be familiar with where to find it in a hurry. I did keep related things in baggies or lightweight stuff sacks to keep them findable--such as packing my sleeping liner, eye shield (to combat those pilgrims who wear landing lights and flash them all over the place when getting up in the night/morning as they turn their heads in all directions!) and ear plugs in a baggie. I kept the baggie under my pillow so I could easily find it in the morning. I bagged my eating stuff (I took a small cup/lidded bowl, spork/knife combo) together so I could find it during the day when I had cheese and tomatoes to deal with. I bagged up my shower stuff; my laundry stuff; my clean stuff (socks, underwear)-- again so all I had to do was feel inside my pack to grab what I was looking for. The more you have your routine down and know how full your pack is when you have everything in it--the less likely it is that you will leave something behind unintentionally.

That being said, I am walking the Camino Portuguese this fall and right now I too have my stuff in a box next to my pack and poles. My husband is going this time so as we are accumulating his stuff, it too is going into his box.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!

Just made my last Camino at summer 2010

All my gear:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 66&theater

6-7kg

Beware good sleeping and bedbugs - i never caught any. Some rules of engagement :D
1. treat your backpack, sleeping matress (if you take one) sheet or sleeping bag with permetrin (see if you're not allergic)
2. take with you a soft and light and not noise plastic that can cover a single bed. Put on top of it a sheet (silk, cotton or paper - bought mine on the camino) I went on summer, so didn't used my sleeping bag.

Take also a light impermeable breathable garments - you'll need them at this time of year.

If your socks get wet change them immediately for dry ones, take always your dry cloths inside a plastic bag on your bag

A good net bag is also very handy to take all your stuff to a shower.

don't take house towels!! take microfleece ones (you can find them on sport's sections)

Didn't needed a matress, ever - i always got a matress or bed on the albergues.

Take a buff, a good round hat, and nice googles.

Your a guy? take a electric shaver, you're a girl? take a electric shaver :D (for the legs and all) If you like beards that's fine by me!! :D Usually there aren't very places with hot water - shaving lotions are heavy also.. a small electric shaver is 200gr..

2 pairs of underware, 1 pants (you wont need them at summer), 2 sport t-shirts (not cotton), 1 light polar, and the rainproof/impermeable stuff mentioned before

Rainy season?? buy a expensive waterproof/breathable roundshape hat :) Also with lots of rain you can get some water inside your boots from the hell - there's some protections you can buy for this - they-re light also.

Always have a pocket flashlight

And the biggest tip i have for you are EARPLUGS!!!! lot's of bears on the camino...

All the best!

Tiago Rosado

http://www.tiagorosado.com/santiago_primeiros_dias.html
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1587301466

tiagorosado said:
Your a guy? take a electric shaver, you're a girl? take a electric shaver :D (for the legs and all) If you like beards that's fine by me!! :D Usually there aren't very places with hot water - shaving lotions are heavy also.. a small electric shaver is 200gr..
Disposable razorblades weigh close to nothing... :!:

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dutchpilgrim:
Razor blades!! Truly a personal choice! The lightest would be not to shave all: many do it!
I shaved with razor blades my last camino and usually is required to take also some kind of cream - the final weight, even with a half full container, was almost the same for the lightest shaver. I didn't took any cream and even with hot water, my skin wasn't too happy with regular soap!
Some items will always fell crazy to other's and vice-versa! I met a fellow pilgrim in August that, according to him, has made the camino 12 times, with almost no hair - and when we went to take a shower at the albergue I saw the guy carrying a really huge and heavy hair-drier :D bottom line: some guys just don't care about extravagant weight!

Take care! :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.