• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment advised for a four-days walk: from Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia

ulara

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello there!
I'll probably be on the Camino again in April to walk from Santagio to Finisterre/Muxia (or what's left of it :().
I'd like to ask you some recommendations about the equipment: by the fact that I will be in Galicia, should I take my equipment for the rain?
I know it's impossible to forecast but does anybody know how is generally the weather in that period?
Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola

I think it is to early to know.
Weather can be anything i April.
Look at the weather forecast a couple of days before your departure, and decide then.
So far in Europe it has been an extremely warm winter, currently all of Europe has no sub zero degrees, except in very northern parts.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi ulara,
We hope to be finishing up our walk to Santiago around the end of April and with God's help, we will continue on to Finisterre/Muxia May 1st or 2nd. I can't help you with the equipment you (we) will be needing but I will keep an eye on this thread to see what recommendations are made.

We don't yet have a guide book or map for this part of our journey; have you found one that is helpful? We think we will do Finisterre first and end with Muxia but aren't too sure because I've heard there are more buses from Finisterre back to Santiago so we may have to reverse the order if we get too close to our 'flight home' date.

Happy planning and many Blessings,
A Diaz

I would definately suggest packing a poncho or some other rainwear. Rain in Galicia is notorious any time of the year. The only time I didn't bring one was in the summer on the Via de la Plata.

Hello there!
I'll probably be on the Camino again in April to walk from Santagio to Finisterre/Muxia (or what's left of it :().
I'd like to ask you some recommendations about the equipment: by the fact that I will be in Galicia, should I take my equipment for the rain?
I know it's impossible to forecast but does anybody know how is generally the weather in that period?
Thanks.
Having lived in Spain for 8 years, even over on the Med we considered April to be a wet month, and in Galicia you're almost guaranteed rain.
That's one reason why I'm setting out in May/June.
Ulara - prepare for almost certain rain, but don't be deterred. The camino is beautiful in ALL weather and you're going to have a wonderful experience!
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all your answers!
What I got is that it's impossible to forecast, of course, but that April will probably be a wet a month.
So I'll keep an eye on it!

Hi ulara,
We hope to be finishing up our walk to Santiago around the end of April and with God's help, we will continue on to Finisterre/Muxia May 1st or 2nd. I can't help you with the equipment you (we) will be needing but I will keep an eye on this thread to see what recommendations are made.

We don't yet have a guide book or map for this part of our journey; have you found one that is helpful? We think we will do Finisterre first and end with Muxia but aren't too sure because I've heard there are more buses from Finisterre back to Santiago so we may have to reverse the order if we get too close to our 'flight home' date.

Happy planning and many Blessings,
A Diaz

I don't have a map for that part too..my Dutch friend has so I leave him the honor to take it with him. :)
If I can advise you, I wouldn't be that worried: you'll see when you'll be there.
You're never alone one the Camino and you can always ask for information or help. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maps or guides are not necessary, the way from Santiago-Finisterre and Santiago-Muxía (and Muxía<-> Finisterre) are well marked.

I was also surprised at the amount of albergues that had sprong up between 2010 (ended in Finisterre) and 2013 (went first to Muxía then on to Finisterre).

Thank you David!
What would you say about gaiters, guys?
I found them very useful with the rain I found from Hontanas to Carrion de los Condes (I think),
but in Galicia..they didn't work. :)

I wouldn't even think of going to Galicia without rain gear. Good rain gear that works in big wind. Been there twice (July and October), torrential rains and gale force winds both times. First time - light weight ponchos blew out immediately. We were very wet, cold and miserable. Second time, Packas and rain pants - we were completely comfortable.

Karl

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't even think of going to Galicia without rain gear. Good rain gear that works in big wind. Been there twice (July and October), torrential rains and gale force winds both times. First time - light weight ponchos blew out immediately. We were very wet, cold and miserable. Second time, Packas and rain pants - we were completely comfortable.

Karl

Sorry, my English is not very good as well as my intuition. :D Did you mean "parka"?
Miserable: that's the word I was looking for to describe how I felt when I entered Galicia. Miserable.
I think that I'll bring rain gear of better quality with me the next time. Expecially the poncho. Mine was too light.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not Karl, but I think he means this:

http://www.thepacka.com

Thank you for the post. I had it already but it was of bad quality. The next time I know where to put my money. ;)
Another question: somebody talked about waterproof pants..but long or short?
I mean: if I want to wear short pants, how can I protect my shoes? Gaiters turned out to be not very useful.

Another question: somebody talked about waterproof pants..but long or short?
I mean: if I want to wear short pants, how can I protect my shoes? Gaiters turned out to be not very useful.
Long. Long enough and wide enough to keep the water out of your boots. I've never heard of short rain pants.

I generally prefer to walk in shorts; the rain pants gave me long pants to wear when it was chilly, as well as when it rained. Try to get the kind that zip down the side and can be easily put on without taking off your boots.

Karl

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Long. Long enough and wide enough to keep the water out of your boots. I've never heard of short rain pants.

I generally prefer to walk in shorts; the rain pants gave me long pants to wear when it was chilly, as well as when it rained. Try to get the kind that zip down the side and can be easily put on without taking off your boots.

Karl

Good advice. Thank you!

I met a group of women in Fisterra that got rained out near Olveiroa. I think their idea of rain gear was blue jeans ... They got soaked in a ten minute squall. They took a taxi from Olveiroa. I think they had no option as hypothermia was setting in. The room in the albergue was covered in wet gear that didn't dry ... the heat was off.

The squalls came every couple of hours and filled the streets to overflow in five minutes. I felt lucky that I had arrived in Fisterra just as the weather shifted.

That being said ... who needs rain gear? Meh!

by all means, bring rain gears. this is galicia, this is why the grasses are so green.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back