• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment check-Cloths, gear, etc.

migolito

It looks like I'll be starting my Camino the beginning of April at St.J. I'm expecting rain, cold, hot and dusty with maybe a little wind thrown in :)

Cloths:
My plan is to pack 3 sets of cloths (lite weight synthetic T-shirt, 2-lite weight synthetic zip-off pants,1-shorts, synthetic underwear, sock liner, socks). Additionally, I'll be taking a synthetic lite weight quarter zip shirt, a rain jacket, rain pants, wide brim hat, lite weight balaclava, and a wind/water resistant jacket, boots and sandals. The 3 sets of cloths allow me to wash cloths daily.

This sounds like a lot of cloths, however, it will get me through almost anything nature has to throw at me. Please feel free to critique and make suggestions.

Boots:
My boots are Lowa Tempest which are excellent and well worn in, however, they are meant for dry climates. I'm not so sure a gaiter will help as the tung is not sewn at all and water will easily enter from the top. Suggestions.

Sleeping:
I'm bringing my 1.5 pound down sleeping bag and a .5 pound blow up pad. This will allow me to sleep on a bed or the ground. Earplugs.

Backpack:
Granite Gear Blaze. My empty pack weighs about 2 pounds and has a 1.5 liter water bladder. It is waterproof, however, everything inside my pack (cloths, sleeping bag, etc) will be in separate silnylon bags.

Misc.
Trekking poles, SPOT gps tracker, medical kit, shower/wash kit, Digital camera, guide,

Please feel free to make suggestions.

Mike

ps. This is going to sound a little strange. While working on the How I 'm still working on the Why. I thought the Why would be the easiest part, however, the more I ask it the more I realize it is the most difficult of questions. I think Introspection is the heaviest thing I'll be packing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Three sets of clothes in the pack is too much (you have one set of clothes on your body in addition). One or at the very most two sets in the pack is plenty. You might take two sets, but three sets of socks.

You can leave the sleeping pad at home also.

The "why" often comes along the Way, as the Spirit of the Camino works on us.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Convertible pants are also shorts, so it looks to me like you have three pairs of shorts. Do you need both a rain jacket and a windproof jacket? I confess to carrying a pair of shorts for sleep wear and as a backup to my convertible pants, and they don't weigh much since they are light nylon. Also, my lightweight, synthetic fleece jacket is about the same as your windproof jacket, and has kept me warm on many cool evenings. You have a good packing list in my opinion. I would bet a beer that you never use the sleeping mat... (If I were an American politician, I might bet you $10,000.)

Yea, I've been rethinking my sleeping pad. Even though it is very lite weight, it does weigh something and takes up space. My thought was IF I need to sleep on the ground, but, I think I'm over thinking it :)

My lite weight jacket is a North Face Apex jacket. It is water resistant, but, not waterproof. Ive read about some pretty good rain (in April) so I wanted to make sure I can stay dry...ish. I also have some North Face Venture rain pants that I'm bringing. I figure these are good for rain, wind and can be worn over shorts or whatever.

I Also to my list is;

Headlamp w/ultra low setting.

I've just spent a fortune on a thermorest matt, & you guys are saying leave it @ home :roll:
Mind you have a new sleeping bag that weighs nothing & I'm sure will require a layer @ least :lol:

Part of the thermal qualities of bag are rated with a mat, suppose a mattress is better!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you don't get a bed, there will be 50 pilgrims willing to lend you their mat! After Astorga, you will find the most expensive sleeping mats in every donation box. I passed up a $100 Thermarest in Vega del Valcarce because I did not want to carry it home for camping!

If you are going camping, on the other hand, take the mat because you will use it.

You only need two sets of clothes...one to wear and one in your pack. I walked April/May 2010 and did not need shorts the entire time. It rained and snowed the last three weeks of walking. The first week and a half there was sun, enough to get a tan, but not warm enough for shorts! I would consider a pair of thermal bottoms too, for those days when it is chilly. Also, waterproof jacket is essential...or a poncho, your choice, but I got caught in some torrential downpours and I was so glad my jacket was waterproof. Otherwise, your list looks good. How do you like your GG pack? I have been eyeballing one of those for the WCT, but have decided to go Osprey Exos 58 instead.

p.s. Leave the sleeping pad at home! Unless it's one of those fancy sub-lb Thermarest ones that is 4 inches thick when you blow it up.... :) Kidding...leave it at home!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all

appreciated your posts - timely advice for me on equipment - Ive just done my first test-pack. Came in at 10kg and feeling good about being able to prune that.
My question though is about the sleeping mats. I have been listening to advice and not taking one by the way. but Ive read different stories about whether you can sleep on the floor.
I was reassured by thinking if I couldnt get a bed, I could just sleep on the floor but have read about it not being allowed now.
any up to date information on this would be most welcome. I would certainly feel a bit more secure if I thought that was an option.

thanks
karen

When we had overflow nights in Santo Domingo de la Calzada in October, we had mattresses to put on the floor. Was it ideal? No. But pilgrims appreciated a place to sleep. You really don't need a sleeping pad, but you might get put on a mattress on the floor if there is overflow space. Me personally, I wouldn't want to sleep on the floor....too easy for the bedbugs to get to you! :)

I carried a sleeping mat but never used it myself. The only time it was used was when a large party of pilgrims came into an albergue and there was one too many for the bed space available, so I lent one of them the mat. I believe that there should only be the same amount of pilgrims in a hostel as the number of bed spaces, but I suppose common sense prevailed on this occasion. It was only a small, out of the way, hostel.
As to clothing, I agree about only taking two sets of gear as long as you are confident that a set will dry overnight. However I took three sets of walking socks just in case. I also used merino wool T shirts as a base layer to help soak up the sweat. They were great, and not too hot as you might think with wool.
I walked in April/May 2011 and it was scorching in France/Spain all the way bar the odd day, so shorts (zip offs) were vital for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, the sleeping pad is out. And, I think I'm going to do 2 pairs of pants-one on, one in the pack. However, I'm sticking w/3 shirts (under armor) and 3 sets underwear.

My Granite Gear BP. Is easily the best BP Ive ever had. I own The North Face, Gregory, Acrteryx, Badlands, etc. This pack IS geared for ultra-lite packing and will carry up to about 30 lbs. However, on the Camino I'm planning on about 13lbs or less. It is very comfortable without excess padding and adjustable down to 30 liters or up to 60 liters.
I got this pack for the 220 mile John Muir Trail which is a wilderness trail down the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. So, I needed the capability to carry more weight and have expandable volume.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.