• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment failures

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
This site has grown enormously over the years and as a result it is quite easy to miss some valuable information that is there (somewhere). There are many mentions in the forums of equipment failure and inventive solutions. I wonder if it might be appropriate for people to post their experiences here in one place to make it easier for us to gain from their experiences and be better prepared as a result.
Happy new year and happy times to one and all.
allan
PS Thanks to peregrino Tom for giving me his avatar - true camino spirit and a gift welcomely received.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If it were agreed that this might be useful, I would like to see some protections agreed. In somewhat the same way that we have established rules about advertising, we should be careful about any criticism unjustifiably dissuading others from purchasing a particular brand or from a specific supplier.

In particular, establishing the individual circumstances around a suggested equipment failure might be important. A walking pole that bends when its saved its owner from falling to the ground after they tripped on the way down from the Alto del Perdon would not, to my mind, constitute failure. Similarly, I would be less sympathetic to a complaint about a pack being badly designed because of the back pain that it caused where I to know it had been carrying more than the harness had been designed to handle comfortably, or that it had been packed so that it was unbalanced laterally, and was permanently leaning and loading up one of the user's shoulders over the other.

Further, I don't think we should attempt to use this in place of consumer protection arrangements that exist in our respective countries. If there are genuine complaints that need to be addressed, such organisations are generally in a better position to represent these matters to traders and manufacturers than a forum like this might be.

Finally, I would rather know about what gear worked for people. While it still might not be possible to know exactly how it was used, at least one knows that if it has survived even a short Camino route, it has been robust enough for that.

Regards,

Well said, Doug.
I agree that the more positive approach would be much better: post about the gear that DID work, rather than that which failed. But then there's plenty already on the forum - from buffs to boots, so no need really for another, negative, thread.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I accept what you both say completely. I agree that we don't want a negative thread or one promoting or denigrating particular brands. I was thinking more along the lines of people commenting in a generic sense how they have overcome a problem so that others may be better prepared and able to cope if something similar happens to them. Perhaps if I give an example? If someone had a strap failure - how did they repair it? Did they use gaffer tape/dental floss/etc? If people refrain from product names, perhaps we could gain from their experiences and have a meaningful knowledge base? Please feel free to criticise or add wisdom to shape what is just an idea into something useful.
allan

Personally, I would like to know which brands of equipment are crap! Every website from which I purchase has feedback from customers. I always choose the five-star rated item over the one-star item. Business feeds on the ignorance of the consumer.

Falcon,
I'm pretty confident that everyone wants to get the best value equipment for their budget, but I have reservations about how this might be done in an unbiased manner on a forum like this. I think as a minimum, it is important to establish the circumstances in which equipment fails. Only then can others understand whether they are likely to face similar circumstances, and make a better informed decision about whether to buy from a particular maker or retailer.
Regards,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that information from long established posters will be worthwhile but in order that this thread does not become tainted by those pushing or knocking a product I would appreciate if people would report posts here by those with only 1 or 2 posts to their name so that we can take action if necessary.

I do agree with Doug though that equipment failure comes about in a wide variety of reasons sometimes from misuse and it is not always due to faulty design or workmanship.

I do not see this thread as any different than the one on your least favorite Albergue.

Let's not pre-judge the type of responses that would appear here. There could be some helpful information.

The thread does not break the rules.

Ultreya,
Joe

Perhaps 'equipment failures' can be reported without naming the brand. That gives a chance to report the problem and solution without publicly 'naming and shaming' which wouldn't be appropriate, especially if poor usage/loading/care has caused the problem.

I bought a new rucksac a couple of years ago. At its first use, at home, the strap started to come away from the main body as it had not been securely stitched. I returned it to the shop and it was promptly exchanged. Had this happened on the Camino I would have stitched it up with linen thread (cotton is not strong enough).
No reflection on the make of rucksac, the new one was the same make and is fine, and is due for its third Camino this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would have stitched it up with linen thread (cotton is not strong enough).
Exactly what I had in mind Tia. An important distiction in the suitability of different threads (no pun intended) enabling people to make an informed decision on what to take/do. Thanks
allan

Dental floss is excellent to use as repairing thread while on the Camino. It's very strong - and means you're not carrying extras

Andy

anything with Buttons on it...I make sure I go over them with a needle and thread
Try a dollop of super glue. It is faster than re-sewing the button, and there is no way the thread will unravel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Contrary to the beliefs of some, you do not need to buy all new high-tech equipment to walk the camino. You can use things you already have if they fit you and they are in good repair. Just beware of your sentimental attachments:

I was walking with some merry Dutchmen in a rather remote part of the Invierno a couple of springtimes ago when one of their backpacks had a complete breakdown -- one of the padded shoulder straps pulled completely away from the body of the pack. We tried repairing it with duct tape (I always carry some, and yeah, I am American!) and we buckled our belts together to strap it onto his torso til we could get someplace -- we finally ended up dividing his stuff among our packs until we got to a good-sized town.

The man´s pack was an old standby brand, a big 60-liter Deuter or Gregory. It had faithfully done heavy duty for many years and a zillion miles -- we heard the stories for several hours as we walked. The problem was it was WORN OUT before he started on the trip, and simply collapsed and died from old age in a rather inconvenient place.

It seems like a no-brainer, but no matter how much you LOVE your dear old backpack you´ve had since 1978, do not expect it to last forever. If you must subject it to camino rigors, take it to the shoe repair shop or REI or wherever and have all the nicks and tears put right beforehand.

(Be aware that almost every market town has at least one shoe repair guy. He can fix most of what you have that is broken, put new tips on your sticks, sew up backpacks, you name it.)

I carry a tube of super-glue, a few metres of para-cord and 10 or so small cable ties for urgent repairs. On the Camino Frances, I needed to do a couple of repairs to my own kit, and thought I had given a couple of the cable ties away to a French couple, one of whom was towing a mono-wheel cart that needed minor repair. I met them again a few days later, and was handed back my two cable ties! It was so unexpected, and touching, that anyone would go to the trouble of removing one of those things so that it was still usable.

no matter how much you LOVE your dear old backpack you´ve had since 1978, do not expect it to last forever
One of my walking partners is still using his top-loader canvas backpack from 1970. Several of the leather straps have rotted away, and it has no waist belt or water bottle space, but he swears by it. It got him around Europe for a couple of years way back when, so why change?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back