• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment for 1st Camino in May 2016

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
I will start my first Camino from Pamplona in May 2016 and will walk for a week or so.

I am taking it easy as I broke my ankle March 2015 and did quite a lot of cartilage damage in the process. Have trained up to 25km with backpack but still being cautious.

My pack weighs 8 kilos with empty water bottles. I have had to make compromises to reach this weight but have included some things not strictly necessary for the trip e.g. mobile phone and kindle with single charger

I decided to use a 1-2 season 600gm sleeping bag and added a 120 gm silk liner, for bed bug protection and extra warmth.

Choice is between 2 rucksacks. A 30 litre which weighs 1.6 kilos which would be "stuffed to the gunnels" or a 45+* litre bag with space to spare but weighs 2.1 kilos. Have gone with the heavier bag because it is probably easier to pack and more adjustable and comfortable and sturdier.

I will use 2 Leki carbon fibre nordic walking poles (I am trained to use them). They are four part poles and will fold down to pack in my rucksack. They are very helpful for taking weight and impact from the injured ankle.

The main issues relate to my clothing. I plan to take a poncho AND a jacket rather than a fleece. The jacket is a Paramo waterproof, wind proof and very breathable soft shell type jacket with hood which would double up as a fleece at 400gms it is not too heavy. I will wear this for light rain and non-walking wear. For heavy rain I will wear a long poncho below my knees but will not take rain trousers. I plan to use light weight gaiters instead.

At this stage I am unsure what shirts and footwear to take. I will take a reversible half zipped Paramo mountain shirt with pit zips. One side has fleecy surface which is warmer and the other smooth surface which is cooler. I am thinking of 2 polyester t -shirts which are wicking lightweight etc. Not sure if I should take long sleeved for sun protection or short sleeved to stay cooler? I will also take a Craghoppers kiwi shirt with longsleeves and fold up collar for sun protection. It's quick drying and easy to wash.

For headwear I plan to use an old but serviceable Tilley with ventilation for sun protection. I am unsure if I will need a waterproof rain hat?

I will use 2 pairs of zip-off Craghopper Kiwi walking trousers. 3 pairs of marino wool socks with cool-max liner socks.

Foot wear is a problem. I plan to walk in boots and was taking some lightweight trail sandals for general wear and for relief from boots on the trail. Was not planning to take flip-flops for the shower but it seems that these may be advisable for shower use. I have some lightweight croc flip flops I could take. I won't be able to use them for anything else much, possibly for wearing around the hostels.

Have a toiletry and wash kit weighing 200gms and key medical kit 200 gms.

Have read the other threads extensively for advice and found them very useful.

Any comments on my packing list below would be appreciated. Anything vital missing? What is superfluous?

Many thanks

All weights in grams

ruckksack 2100 1
waterproof inner bag 50 1
poncho 320 1
mountain shirt 400 1
gaiters 70 1
jacket 450 1
rain hat 40 1
neck buff light weight 60 1
tee shirt long sleeve 210 1
tee shirt short sleeve 210 1
craghoppers shirt ls 250 1
trail sandals 500 1
trousers zip off 460 1
liner socks 40 2
socks 80 2
sleeping bag 600 1
silk liner 120 1
shaving gel 40 1
shampoo 50 1
soap 20 1
razor 40 1
brush 40 1
toothbrush 20 1
toothpaste 50 1
guide book 260 1
travel towel 200 1
flannel 40 1
kindle 200 1
phone 160 0
charger 120 1
spare battery 40 1
headtorch 100 1
pocket knife 100 1
knife fork spoon 40 1
medical kit 200 1
safety pins/washline 30 1
spare glasses 180 1
TOTAL 7990

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One week? I'd bring fewer shirts, more socks and maybe some underwear? Not sure you'll need a spare battery.

Does your Kindle have guides on it ? Knife/fork/spoon? you have a knife and most restaurants will have forks and spoons, or just bring a
" spork". Extra glasses? Trail sandals are heavy as are boots, consider trainers, trail shoes(begin wearing them now! You can improvise leave the washline at home and find a multi use soap to shave, wash and shampoo with for a week. More socks change often. Long sleeve shirts can be rolled up, think layering and see if you can reduce your load....... Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your comments. I am thinking about scanning the relevant pages of the Brierly guide into my kindle. The kindle is the same weight as guide book but also has my bible and other useful things on it.
I use the same charger as my phone for the kindle. So could leave guide book behind. Will experiment.
The trail sandals are very light. Same as light weight trainers. Already worn in my boots and will be wearing the sandals now that spring is here.

I can ditch the clothes line and spare phone battery and make further weight reductions in the toiletry area.

Thinking about layering. Could probably ditch the jacket and use mountain shirt with tee-shirt(s) underneath for warmth and poncho when raining.

Definitely need to add pants to my list!!! And of course toilet tissue.

Thanks again

Welcome to the forum Chris. I would suggest the bigger pack, my brother used a 30L pack and it was literally bursting at the seams, I brought a 40L + pack and had extra room for food to eat on the way and to keep everything I carried inside the pack. Every time my brother needed something out of his pack he had to practically unpack it all to get the item, with the extra room its easier.
As to your pack list: I would leave the gaiters and get a lightweight rain pants, this will serve you well for both rain and cold. Get a spork and leave the cutlery as stated above, even though I brought one of these I only used it twice.
The rest of you list looks good to me.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.