• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment for Chubby Girls (perhaps an ongoing guide)

Great post....
I was pretty sure i wasn’t the only short , chubby walker out there!
I have the boobs to match the Ruebenesque figure which with my pack straps creates a nasty looking mono boob silhouette.
I’m hoping the fashion police don’t make an appearance!

I had that too with my Decathlon rucksack (so most of the time I’d didn’t fasten the strap or undid it if someone was approaching 😂) but I now have an Osprey designed for women and that really helped as their strap is much higher. It’s comfortable and you don’t get the weird boob effect.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are in the US check out Duluth Trading Co - they seem to have a decent selection of plus size clothing from leggings to hiking pants. Some of the pants even come in different lengths. I’m on the shorter end of being chubby and for the first time I was able to purchase a pair of hiking pants that I did not need to have alterations done to them to make them shorter. They also have a decent return policy - if you wear something and it doesn’t work for you they will allow you to exchange/refund it.

Thank you to all for sharing suggestions in this post. My wife was frustrated with clothing choices and this definitely helped!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first thing I'm going to do is admit I did not read this entire thread, so perhaps someone already said this.

That said, there really is NO reason to go out and spend boatloads of cash on "Camino gear."
Wear what you have in your closet.
Don't wear cotton in the cooler months b/c it will not dry.
Don't take jeans b/c they certainly will not dry.
But otherwise, there is NO reason for special underwear, bras, or outerwear.

If you have regular yoga pants or leggings that are comfie, wear them.
If you have shorts that are comfie, or a walking skirt, wear them.
If you have any polyester shirts that are comfie, wear them.

I WOULD buy good socks, though in summer, I often hit up the China shops on the Camino for cotton socks.
Otherwise, I buy merino wool socks and they do cost a bit.

Also, if you live in the USA in a fairly sized city, go to Goodwill and check out their ACTIVE WEAR section, both male and female.

I just found TWO icebreakers shirts there last week - both Merino Wool and like new.
One was a $200 shirt for $18 and one was a $150 shirt for $10.

For my warm layer, I ALWAYS buy a men's merino wool pullover sweater in a super large size, then I take it home and put it in a hot washing machine and dryer and felt it down to my size. Watch it closely. And even if you can only find one that FITS you, it will be your warmest, most lightweight item.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.