• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment in Summer: sleeping bag vs. Sleep Sheet

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera
Hello, I am considering a silk sleep sheet and pad instead of a sleeping bag for July trek. Any thoughts?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Definitely.. I did my Camino 22/7 to 22/8/2013.. With a thermal liner (not silk) and it was fine.. The places known for being cooler generally provide blankets.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Definitely.. I did my Camino 22/7 to 22/8/2013.. With a thermal liner (not silk) and it was fine.. The places known for being cooler generally provide blankets.
That is great news. It's only 4.6 ounces!

How about the liner vs. bag question for someone starting from SJPdP in one week (i.e. Mid Sept). Am I gonna get cold? What's the strategy in albergues that don't have blankets available. (I read somewhere that happens in some places).

Many thanks for all opinions on this as its my one remaining "big" dilemma!!

Cheers
Robert

How about the liner vs. bag question for someone starting from SJPdP in one week (i.e. Mid Sept). Am I gonna get cold? What's the strategy in albergues that don't have blankets available. (I read somewhere that happens in some places).

Many thanks for all opinions on this as its my one remaining "big" dilemma!!

Cheers
Robert

Hi Robert, I leave SJPDP on the 19-September and, after much deliberation, I have decided to take just my liner (a silk sleep sack). It was a difficult decision for me because I get cold easily, but the forum and my kids (who've travelled much more than I have) assured me that I could always ask for a blanket. The savings on weight is nearly 1.5 pounds without my sleeping bag! I figure if I still find that I'm cold I'll sleep in all my clothing and, if that doesn't work, I'll pick up a sleeping bag along the way. Good luck and buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
(I read somewhere that happens in some places).
It is pretty much an urban myth. A thread specifically on this assertion came up with no blankets in the parochial in Roncesvalles (they may have blankets now), the parochial in Leon, and the xunta albergues in Galicia. Every other albergue has blankets. You may have to ask for one. I would not recommend any of them except Roncesvalles, by the way!!!

Thank you. Im leaving in 14 days from SJPdP and have been winnowing down my pack weight. Today I decided on the same strategy. ..buy it if I need it. Thanks for confirming my decision. Buen camino.

It is pretty much an urban myth. A thread specifically on this assertion came up with no blankets in the parochial in Roncesvalles (they may have blankets now), the parochial in Leon, and the xunta albergues in Galicia. Every other albergue has blankets. You may have to ask for one. I would not recommend any of them except Roncesvalles, by the way!!!

What would you not recommend? The albergues or the blankets from the albergues? Just wanting to be clear.:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Falcon. I thought that was what you meant, but i've learned the hard way that it's not a good idea for me to assume anything. :)

If you have a light sleeping bag you will KNOW that you'll have a warm night's sleep. I walked from SJPP to Santiago in July of 2001 with a fleece sleeping bag liner and because the Camino was so busy at that time many of the refugios were full, and I ended up sleeping on the floor many times. It was not warm enough, and many nights I was cold. I have since redone portions of the Camino and always bring my sleeping bag so I am nice and warm.

Don't forget that Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe, and much of the Camino is at high elevations. Chilly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My nylon sleep sack is 5.9 oz., so, yes, 2.42 pounds is not very light! Only you know if you need to be toasty warm to sleep. You will be indoors sleeping, and the outside temperature is not likely to drop below 10C. Inside it is likely to be 20C or more. In late winter this year, I threw away my sleeping bag. It just was not necessary! The vague rumor that "some" albergues do not have blankets has been quantified elsewhere as about three or four places. Just don't go to them! The Casandras would have you believe that blankets are impossible to find.;)

After I tossed the sleeping bag, my 4.0-5.0 liter backpack was far too large, so you may be able to use a smaller pack if you leave the sleeping bag behind. By the way there are a lot of sleeping bags in the 600 to 800 gram range, so yours is a bit heavy for a lightweight bag.

Buen camino.

Thanks Falcon... If temps are likely to be 20+ indoors at night I may just leave it at home and take my chances. I want to avoid buying lots of gear that i may never use again on the offchance i may need it, and i think you're right - my bag is a bit heavy. Thanks for the pointers
Robert

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just back from the camino. I carried a very light pack of about 6kg but could definitely have done with a light sleeping bag in some albergues. I found more often than not that blankets were not available. Sometimes the room stayed warm and a bag was unnecessary. Other times in well ventilated rooms I was pretty cold... Guess it depends on the person. I still had a terrific time and only wish I could have continued to the end... I will be back!

I used a silk liner on my camino in April 2011 and it was mostly fine. I could most times get a blanket when I felt I needed it. Only problem was that the blankets were sometimes a bit dirty and smelly but if you can live with that, then you will be fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No problems on that count with me either. In fact some of the blankets I did manage to find may have crawled off me in the middle of the night

I believe I caught the end of a San Miguel summer (aka. an Indian Summer), so some nights it was like a sweatbox - but after that...chilly

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.