• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment in the Albergues

LauraEmilia

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Camino is starting at mid Marc, 2023
Hi,

I'm gonna start my first Camino in March and now I'm wondering what to take with me...

In Albergues, are there all the equipments for basic cooking and also the other stuff like dry spices, oil, washing-up liquid and so on?
Or should I carry some of these with me... 🤔

Thank you very much for helping me with this 🙏♥️🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I'm gonna start my first Camino in March and now I'm wondering what to take with me...

In Albergues, are there all the equipments for basic cooking and also the other stuff like dry spices, oil, washing-up liquid and so on?

It varies considerably. Some places are well equipped and where pilgrims have left supplies that might include pasta, rice, oil and various condiments. But that won't happen everywhere. Last year, the Xunta albergues in Galicia were bare, as they were when I walked a few years ago. There are excellent facilities - oven, stove and microwave - but nothing more.

It's really up to you how much you carry, and how much you buy each night that you want to prepare your own meal. I generally carry a small supply of salt and pepper sachets and some tea bags, and then make up my mind about cooking for myself when I see what is available in the kitchen.

It varies considerably. Some places are well equipped and where pilgrims have left supplies that might include pasta, rice, oil and various condiments. But that won't happen everywhere. Last year, the Xunta albergues in Galicia were bare, as they were when I walked a few years ago. There are excellent facilities - oven, stove and microwave - but nothing more.

It's really up to you how much you carry, and how much you buy each night that you want to prepare your own meal. I generally carry a small supply of salt and pepper sachets and some tea bags, and then make up my mind about cooking for myself when I see what is available in the kitchen.
Ok, thanks a lot 🙏
I will take some spices with me at least then, and maybe some oil...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An albergue kitchen (except in Xunta albergues in Galicia) will usually have a few basics such as oil, salt, pepper, possibly some pasta and lentils. There are usually some pots/pans and some plates and silverware. If you are planning to cook, it is a good practice to look at the kitchen first and then go to the store. You may want to plan a meal with others to reduce costs.

You did not mention which Camino you planned to walk. Along some routes there are fewer stores and sometimes no kitchen. Some albergues serve a shared meal and maybe breakfast and in that case you may not be allowed to use the kitchen so be sure to ask first. If you use a guidebook or an app, there will usually be information about what is available in the albergue such as washer/dryer, kitchen for pilgrim use, meals served, etc.

An albergue kitchen (except in Xunta albergues in Galicia) will usually have a few basics such as oil, salt, pepper, possibly some pasta and lentils. There are usually some pots/pans and some plates and silverware. If you are planning to cook, it is a good practice to look at the kitchen first and then go to the store. You may want to plan a meal with others to reduce costs.

You did not mention which Camino you planned to walk. Along some routes there are fewer stores and sometimes no kitchen. Some albergues serve a shared meal and maybe breakfast and in that case you may not be allowed to use the kitchen so be sure to ask first. If you use a guidebook or an app, there will usually be information about what is available in the albergue such as washer/dryer, kitchen for pilgrim use, meals served, etc.
Wow, thanks a lot 🙏
What is this app where I can see all this info about the Albergues?

And I'm walking the Camino Francé.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can find the information about albergues on Gronze.com.

It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

You can find the information about albergues on Gronze.com.

It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

Thank you, I will check this website 👌

A couple of items to add - for general and kitchen : a universal plug (for bathroom basin or kitchen sink); a corkscrew bottle opener (this is real handy if someone else needs their wine or beer bottle opened); a sharpe knife. If you are not checking your backpack then you will be limited in size (blade length), but you can buy one in Paris/Madrid/Pamplona - one with (say) 4 or 5 inch - 100/125 mm blade . A few regular spices that you have at home is a good idea although most supermacardos/supermarkets in Spain have great ranges. I think it was mentioned above - but don't count on finding a complete kitchen. Oh and you may have to time your cooking to fit in with other pilgrims. If you like cooking, discuss the evening meal with your fellow pilgrims to combine work and skills and purchases of pasta or vegetables etc. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A couple of items to add - for general and kitchen : a universal plug (for bathroom basin or kitchen sink); a corkscrew bottle opener (this is real handy if someone else needs their wine or beer bottle opened); a sharpe knife. If you are not checking your backpack then you will be limited in size (blade length), but you can buy one in Paris/Madrid/Pamplona - one with (say) 4 or 5 inch - 100/125 mm blade . A few regular spices that you have at home is a good idea although most supermacardos/supermarkets in Spain have great ranges. I think it was mentioned above - but don't count on finding a complete kitchen. Oh and you may have to time your cooking to fit in with other pilgrims. If you like cooking, discuss the evening meal with your fellow pilgrims to combine work and skills and purchases of pasta or vegetables etc. Buen Camino
Thanks for the tips 🙏
Looking forward for the Camino ✨

Wow, thanks a lot 🙏
What is this app where I can see all this info about the Albergues?

And I'm walking the Camino Francé.
Gronze.com gives you the easiest and clearest picture of what facilities the albergue has. WIse Pilgrim and Buen Camino does as well but I just think it is easiest to view on Gronze.com. If you use Google Chrome it will automatically transfer it to the language you desire unless of course you speak Spanish. I would not carry oil in my backpack. It is heavy and what happens if the container leaks or breaks uggggg. Also many kitchens may only have a microwave and no stove, or you never know the condition and how well it is supplied until you arrive. I eat alot of meals in the albergue. I always wait to see what a kitchen has in terms of appliances and spices etc and then shop accordingly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

What are you preparing? If it sounds good I'll make a point to seek you out on the Camino.

In general, albergue kitchens will have equipment, but the selection of pantry items is hit and miss, depending on what other pilgrims may have left behind. An exception is the Xunta albergues in Galicia, which often do not even have the equipment (pots, pans, etc.).

€46,-
What are you preparing? If it sounds good I'll make a point to seek you out on the Camino.
Haha, you are most warmly welcome to enjoy my dinners ☺️
But probably just something easy and quick...

I wouldn't worry too much about cooking. There's plenty of places to eat. Plus, you may be too tired out to feel like cooking. But, cooking is a good way to make friends. When you get to the albergue as people if they would like to contribute to a meal. I'm sure you will get takers.

Great and accurate info so far.
You can also have a cold meal - cheese, tuna, chorizo, salad veges, olives, bread. You can buy microwaveable ready meals. I found the canned lentil soup with chorizo really good. But you might need one lightweight microwave container for the Xunta Albergues in Galicia.
However the menu del dia meals are for around €10 really good (catch the end of lunch around 3.30 pm rather than wait to 8.30 pm after siesta). So lots of options for food.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't worry too much about cooking. There's plenty of places to eat.
There might be, but there are pilgrims who might prefer to prepare their own food for any number of medical and personal reasons. As a hospitalero, I would always have a plan to accommodate vegetarians and those who were gluten intolerant. Vegans were a little more difficult.

There are many people with other food intolerances, some more easily accommodated than others, but which might not be easy to cook for in a commercial kitchen with the risk of cross contamination from all the other food being prepared there.

There might be, but there are pilgrims who might prefer to prepare their own food for any number of medical and personal reasons. As a hospitalero, I would always have a plan to accommodate vegetarians and those who were gluten intolerant. Vegans were a little more difficult.

There are many people with other food intolerances, some more easily accommodated than others, but which might not be easy to cook for in a commercial kitchen with the risk of cross contamination from all the other food being prepared there.
Yes, this 🙏
I try to avoid gluten and my stomach feels much better!
Also I like to cook!
And also I like to save some money 😅

But of course I will also eat outside, probably plenty of times...
It's just nice to know that there's a possibility to cook as well 🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was always impressed by the quality of the boxed soups in Spain. Sure they are heavy, but they require no refrigeration when sealed and are delicious hot or cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was always impressed by the quality of the boxed soups in Spain. Sure they are heavy, but they require no refrigeration when sealed and are delicious hot or cold.
@Vacajoe thanks, I love soups!
So you bought these from the supermarket and you warm them up at the Albergues?
And if it's too much, you don't have to put the left overs in the fridge?
That sounds weird for me...
And you can still eat it on the next day? 🤔

Last year, the Xunta albergues in Galicia were bare, as they were when I walked a few years ago. There are excellent facilities - oven, stove and microwave - but nothing more.
We were told someplace on the forum that the reason the cooking equipment was removed was because they weren't being cleaned. So spread the story to every albergue's kitchen (even if that truly wasn't the reason).

Yes, this 🙏
I try to avoid gluten and my stomach feels much better!
Also I like to cook!
And also I like to save some money 😅

But of course I will also eat outside, probably plenty of times...
It's just nice to know that there's a possibility to cook as well 🙏
I, too, am gluten intolerant, and steer clear of regular bread made from wheat in the U.S. and where I live in México. However, when I am in France, I can eat baguettes, croissants, pain aux raisins, etc. without distress👍🏽 Some locals there tell me it’s because the wheat in France is not genetically modified. I’ll buy that. Does anyone know if the wheat in Spain is non-GMO or GMO? I’m hoping it’s a European Union policy that prohibits GMO.

Does anyone know if the wheat in Spain is non-GMO or GMO? I’m hoping it’s a European Union policy that prohibits GMO.
As far as I know only one variety of GMO wheat has been grown in the EU and that one only in experimental plots rather than commercial crops. The only GMO crop grown in Spain is a variety of maize. But that situation may soon change.

I, too, am gluten intolerant, and steer clear of regular bread made from wheat in the U.S. and where I live in México. However, when I am in France, I can eat baguettes, croissants, pain aux raisins, etc. without distress👍🏽 Some locals there tell me it’s because the wheat in France is not genetically modified. I’ll buy that. Does anyone know if the wheat in Spain is non-GMO or GMO? I’m hoping it’s a European Union policy that prohibits GMO.
This sounds topsy-turvy to me. If anything, one would have to genetically modify wheat to remove the gluten from it, at which point it would lack the one component required for things like making breads, cakes and other pastries. It would then be something similar to rice, which is a grain we already have, so I'm not seeing the point of this approach. I would be looking for a different explanation than this.

GMO wheat is not produced for sale in the US.
This sounds topsy-turvy to me. If anything, one would have to genetically modify wheat to remove the gluten from it, at which point it would lack the one component required for things like making breads, cakes and other pastries. It would then be something similar to rice, which is a grain we already have, so I'm not seeing the point of this approach. I would be looking for a different explanation than this.
Perhaps I should have said genetically engineered ?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've read that it is the variety of wheat that is different. Nothing to do with GMO, genetically engineered products, or gluten. True gluten intolerance (celiac disease) is not common, intolerance to short chain carbohydrates is common, but pinning down the specific culprit can be tricky so most people just avoid gluten.

My husband cannot eat products made from Australian wheat (hard wheat) but has a stupendous time in Europe where bread, croissants, pastries are made from a softer, different variety of wheat. He has a great time eating loads of delicious stuff - all with no ill effects.

I've read that it is the variety of wheat that is different. Nothing to do with GMO, genetically engineered products, or gluten. True gluten intolerance (celiac disease) is not common, intolerance to short chain carbohydrates is common, but pinning down the specific culprit can be tricky so most people just avoid gluten.

My husband cannot eat products made from Australian wheat (hard wheat) but has a stupendous time in Europe where bread, croissants, pastries are made from a softer, different variety of wheat. He has a great time eating loads of delicious stuff - all with no ill effects.
That’s me to a T! Thank you for the info about harder vs softer wheat. You learn something new everyday, no?🤙🏽

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Vacajoe thanks, I love soups!
So you bought these from the supermarket and you warm them up at the Albergues?
And if it's too much, you don't have to put the left overs in the fridge?
That sounds weird for me...
And you can still eat it on the next day? 🤔
Oh no, once open it should be consumed, though you can certainly store it in a refrigerator for a breakfast meal, too! A friend actually brought a thermos and took his hot soup to go for lunch Or you can simply share yours at dinner with a fellow pilgrim and they might return the favor the next day. Hard cheese, preserved meats, nuts, olives, and bread all are great for packing.

No, not available. Too expensive. GMO products farm produced are usually corn or milo that are not killed by the broadleaf weed killer Roundup. Also called "Roundup ready". Who knew being married previously to a farmer would come in handy.
Ha! One never knows, eh? Thanks🤙🏽

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Due to the war in Ukraine the price of flour and products made with it and products made with oil (sunflower oil) have gone up for the rest of Europe.

Perhaps. I know it's a complex and often touchy subject. There is little in our modern food production system that has not been the result of some form of selective breeding, clearly resulting in genetically modified offspring derived from existing species, themselves potentially genetically modified. How much of this would have taken place through natural selection is probably impossible to tell. Whether GE techniques are merely extensions of this, or are being used to introduce characteristics that would never have emerged naturally seems equally difficult to tell.

However, the article you link to clearly uses language that I would suggest is designed to bias its readers to thinking that the biotech companies are bad in comparison to those promoting the use of ancient grains. Pejorative terms are applied to them quite liberally and without any real justification - I suggest unnecessarily. It might be a rather bland article without that hyperbole, but might be more truthful.

This sounds topsy-turvy to me. If anything, one would have to genetically modify wheat to remove the gluten from it,
The wheat in Australia has changed over the past 50 years. It has been selected for a shorter growing season and has higher gluten - not sure if that is just a linked bi-product if the shorter growing season. This was by normal plant breeding and selection. And yes we need gluten wheat to make bread.
I do find European wheat easier to digest.
Also the full sourdough process (as opposed to the shorter version) also modifies the gluten so it is more easily digested.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The wheat in Australia has changed over the past 50 years. It has been selected for a shorter growing season and has higher gluten - not sure if that is just a linked bi-product if the shorter growing season. This was by normal plant breeding and selection. And yes we need gluten wheat to make bread.
I do find European wheat easier to digest.
Also the full sourdough process (as opposed to the shorter version) also modifies the gluten so it is more easily digested.
Yes, that's my husband's experience too. He has no problem with properly made sourdough. We've hijacked the thread a bit. What I'm interested in is how he will react to eating pasta in Italy. It is made from durum wheat, so different to the wheat used in bread and pastries. I have my fingers crossed for when we are on the Via Francigena - not eating pasta in Italy seems tragic.

Back to the original question! @LauraEmilia I hope some of this has been useful to you.

@Vacajoe did say they require no refrigeration "when sealed". Once you have opened the pack then the contents need to be used immediately or refrigerated according to the maker's instructions.
Right, now I got it.
I didn't read it well and also English is not my first language so sometimes I misunderstand things... 😅

But thanks for straighten up this for me!

Oh no, once open it should be consumed, though you can certainly store it in a refrigerator for a breakfast meal, too! A friend actually brought a thermos and took his hot soup to go for lunch Or you can simply share yours at dinner with a fellow pilgrim and they might return the favor the next day. Hard cheese, preserved meats, nuts, olives, and bread all are great for packing.
Right, I misunderstood this 😅
Thanks for straighten this out for me 🙏 Actually I was thinking to take thermos with me!

All of the foods we eat have been drastically genetically modified through selective breeding. If you compare our wheat, corn (maize), fresh vegetables, farm animals, etc. to their ancestors you will see huge changes. That doesn't affect dougfitz's point that gluten has always been a part of wheat and fundamental to its use in making bread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, but the prices of both have gone up tremendously in Spain as sunflower oil was originally "cheaper" than olive oil and now both are expensive.
A number of years ago there was a scandal involving olive oil in Spain. Since then, the house olive oil comes directly from Crete.

Yes, that's my husband's experience too. He has no problem with properly made sourdough. We've hijacked the thread a bit. What I'm interested in is how he will react to eating pasta in Italy. It is made from durum wheat, so different to the wheat used in bread and pastries. I have my fingers crossed for when we are on the Via Francigena - not eating pasta in Italy seems tragic.

Back to the original question! @LauraEmilia I hope some of this has been useful to you.
FYI - I sometimes buy imported Italian pasta - not an ecologically sound practice but it sits better in my "stomaco". Good luck in Italy :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

All of the foods we eat have been drastically genetically modified through selective breeding. If you compare our wheat, corn (maize), fresh vegetables, farm animals, etc. to their ancestors you will see huge changes. That doesn't affect dougfitz's point that gluten has always been a part of wheat and fundamental to its use in making bread.
Dougfitz’s point @gluten is well taken. It is and always will be a part of wheat and necessary for the making of regular ol’ bread. Unfortunately, my system can’t handle it, much to my chagrin. Ni modo. I hope bread made from “softer” wheat, about which Kanga wrote earlier, is available en el camino. I have faith that, as so many of you have said, “the camino will provide”🤙🏽

Dougfitz’s point @gluten is well taken. It is and always will be a part of wheat and necessary for the making of regular ol’ bread. Unfortunately, my system can’t handle it, much to my chagrin. Ni modo. I hope bread made from “softer” wheat, about which Kanga wrote earlier, is available en el camino. I have faith that, as so many of you have said, “the camino will provide”🤙🏽
Yes, the Spanish bread is made from the easier-to-digest wheat. Quite ironic that "soft' wheat makes bread that can be rock hard! (As those of us who have torn our mouths on Spanish bocadillos can attest).

Yes, the Spanish bread is made from the easier-to-digest wheat. Quite ironic that "soft' wheat makes bread that can be rock hard! (As those of us who have torn our mouths on Spanish bocadillos can attest).
Well then, I will just have to soften up that rock hard bread with some olive oil, cheese, olives and, of course, some fine vino local y regional. ¡Salud!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back