• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment list and opinions from recent camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have seen a young woman wearing jeans, she almost never washed them, because they took ages to dry. If you can cope with the unwashed state it is ok I guess, but when it rains they get very heavy when wet, stay wet on your body, so that's not a great feeling. If you decide not to wear them for a day and put them in your pack they are quite a load to carry. I find the quick drying materials by companies like Columbia, Royal Robins or Godzwana really fantastic and the pants are super comfortable. I washed my pants every day and they were dry within an hour or so. Regards, Gitti

timothyd said:
Has anyone walked in jeans? Would it be crazy? I don't own anything more comfortable than jeans.

I'd agree - not great things to wear. When they get wet - and they will - they'll rub and chafe as well as everything else. Cotton holds four times its own weight in water and doesn't give it up easily. Next time you wash your jeans put them in a warm room over a chair and see how long they take to dry.

Its not just that though, you'll lose heat faster in wet clothes which could be a problem (depends when you go of course).

If you really want to wear jeans you could look at Alpkit.com for some outdoorsy jeans that aremade to be more water resistant but I'd still say either proper outdoor trousers - they don't have to be expensive - or lightweight army trousers. The key things are: Light, durable, quick drying.

I used north face trousers last time - they cost a bit more than i'd usually pay but i got caught in rain..they got soaked...and oncethe rain stopped they were dry in about 30 minutes even though it was still drizzling. Well worth it I thought. Don't forget its not just the rain you need to think about - even if it's fairly cool weather when you go you'll be sweating quite a bit on some stretches.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lot depends on what trail you walk, and when. I wore jeans last March when I very stupidly walked over the mountain section of the Camino Salvador. (the snow was too deep, I was alone, it was dangerous, I was foolhardy.) I was wearing an old pair of Levi´s, and I was very glad I had them instead of anything lighter or thinner. Thorns, ice-crusted snow, barbed wire, etc. Royal Robbins would not have taken that punishment. And the jeans dried overnight draped over a radiator.

You won´t face those conditions on the Frances (god willing). But never say never.
Plenty of people are out there on the Frances in jeans and sneakers and regular street clothes. But if you have the money and the inclination, the zippy travel wear is the way to go.

Reb.

DylanRomero said:
The zipper didn't work, but otherwise they were perfect!

Did you wear long shirts?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Haha, no long shirts. The pants had a bit of an overlapping flap in front of the zipper, so it wasn't too risque.

At least I hope it wasn't... :p

I'm curious what folk think about using a water bladder as opposed to water bottles. I love the bladder when I'm hiking, but I only do day hikes and weight isn't near as important. On the other hand, you can fill up in the morning in the albergue where you can trust the water. I'm planning my first walk for next May-June, so I'm a total newbie.

I had a huge bladder inside my backpack, and it turns out I only used it once and then just resorted to a sports bottle that I kept in an outside side pocket. I just filled it up at every fountain. I kept a small amount of water in the bladder (maybe half a liter?) to have just in case. I used that just once. There are so many fountains on the Camino. Well...not so many after Sarria (oddly) but it still wasn't an issue. My friend used her bladder all the time. She didn't pack as much, so it was much easier to access her camelbak whenever she needed to refill it. Personal preference really.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a 3-liter water bladder that I have been using for several months on daily training walks (normally half full); I must say it is a delightful item and I am glad to have it. I don't know whether it's just me, but I find my shoulders aren't quite limber enough to comfortably reach back to retrieve water bottles stashed in the side pockets of my pack. So I have to stop, remove the pack, drink the water, re-shoulder the pack ... all of which inconvenience leads one to drink rather less water than one really ought to be drinking.

The important thing is to be able to drink water comfortably several times an hour (more if walking on hot days). So if water bottles are comfortable for you - great! If not, the bladders are certainly convenient and functional.

I have just bought the Aarn Liquid Agility Pack with front balance pockets, there are two options, one is to use the bladder compartment of the pack for a bladder, the other to put 2 waterbottles into the front mesh compartments of the balance pockets. I decided on the bottles as it balances the weight better and since the pack is small 26 ltr, I needed to use the hydration pocket for my poncho and other things. It all works well and I can fit everything in perfectly. No room to spare though. Gitti
p.s.I use two 750 mls waterbottles now instead of the Platypus bottles, as these are too large for the mesh pockets.

Attachments

• Camino Packing List Recommendations (1).doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 208
Dear Gitteharre
How on earth do you manage to get all the stuff on your list into a 26 or 32 lit pack?
I take almost the same things but my pack is a 50lit and ends up weighing approx 10 kilos.
please tell me ? I start from Lisbon on 1st Sept to walk the Portuguese Way and I am determined not to suffer the many blisters I had last year walking the Camino Frances. Admittedly I have new wider shoes which should help but need everything in my pack.
Heather from West Australia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Gitti,
My hubby has bought the Aarn Liquid Agility pack and I've just picked up his front Balance Pockets, 12l. (There are 3 sizes . . . 15 ltr, 12 ltr and 6 ltr.) I'm wondering what size pockets you bought, as I feel these may be too big and not necessary, please? Cheers Carole

Great list , very wise. I [69 years - help!] had come around to similar conclusions , am starting out this March /April. Encouraging for you to say you got use to the weight ! I am down to 7 . 5 Kg .But please someone advise me . Boot polish and brush ? Army aluminium mess tin ? [5 ozs.] instead of mug.[For drinks and food.] Two shirts , two vests , two trousers , one jumper BUT I could bring also a marino sleeveless OR an all wool vest.Sleeping mat ? Sun cream ? Vasaline ? Foot powder ? I am 63 kilos weight so am still over 10%.
What to do ?

What to do ?
Ignore the rule of thumb.

Pack what you need. Take nothing that you "might need." If it is too much, you have at least two options.

1) Start the Camino, and throw things away if you pack is too uncomfortable.

2) Pretend that you are on the Camino, and have decided that your pack is too heavy. Throw things out while you are still at home.

Bingo! In both cases you have the right amount of stuff for the Camino. :wink:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks for that.You confirm what I think. Don't think I can get below 7 kg without experience . Will just have to dump if necessary.

Waterproof pants get so hot though. I have found it easier to keep a dry change of clothing when I hike, and just accept the fact that I will get wet.

Waterpoof Overtrousers

It was me that mentioned the waterproof overtrousers.

I took them thinking I would probably ditch them quite soon but we had such bad wet weather this May in France that they proved invaluable for keeping me not so much dry as warm. There was one day when we walked acroos the Aubrac plateau (1,300 metres high) in freezing wind and rain and I hadn't put them on - my legs were soon soaking and so cold in the wind. My companion was in a similar state and could barely speak.

If you are walking in warm weather then they won't be necessary but if you are up high in less than summer temperatures then they make a lot of difference - especially if you are old and a bit rheumatic. Mine only weighed 200 grams and were absolutely waterproof. But I have since bought another pair that weigh only 110 grams - untested as yet.

For a trek like the Camino I don't think you need such an extensive med kit. I will have ibuprofen and maybe some anti-bacterial ointment. I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2014, and used my bandages and ointment one time (after I gouged my arm jumping away from a falling tree). Leukotape and/or moleskin should be all you need for blisters. After a few days you should have callouses and can ditch all the moleskin.

I work in healthcare and will be carrying a fully stocked first aid kit as well. My plan is to administer aid if needed. I also am using the Camino as a starting point for an around the world trip, so there may be things in here not needed for the Camino per se. I am still in the process of putting it together, but it will include:

Meds
Ibuprofen
Tylenol
Immodium
Sudafed
Claritin
Vicodin
Cipro
Z-Pack

Bandages/Etc
Assorted Bandaids
Steri-Strips of various sizes w/adhesive
Coban (1 in/3 in)
2X2 Gauze Pads
4X4 Gauze Pads
Abd Pads
Kerlix (2 in/4 in)
Antibiotic Ointment
Alcohol Wipes
Betadyne (small bottle)
Moleskin/Blister Management Tools (I have some special wound care stuff for this)
Suture Kit (http://www.rei.com/product/784611) w/extras from work
CPR Mask (http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Pr ... ItemId=522)
Nitrile Gloves

Again, this is a starting point for me. I will put it all together, then probably scale it down. Once I get all of my stuff together, I will post pictures and lists before I leave. I like to be prepared which is why keeping my pack light is such a problem for me! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you plan to administer medical aid, and looking at your list, this means not only first and emergency aid, I would make sure you know the legal situation in the countries you are travelling through regarding this. You only write "I work in healthcare" but don't specify as what. In general in many European countries the "Samaritan Law" is applied, meaning everybody that gives first aid to the best of their abilities is protected from persecution if things go wrong BUT if you are a certified health care professional that doesn't apply and you will be held responsible for all what you administer like you would at home in your professional life.

Also looking at your list, only trying to import f.e. Vicodin to Europe, unless you can proof that you need it, can get you in legal trouble here.

Buen Camino, SY

PS The health/emergency system in Spain is first class and response times on the Camino are fast ...

I work in healthcare and will be carrying a fully stocked first aid kit as well. My plan is to administer aid if needed. I also am using the Camino as a starting point for an around the world trip, so there may be things in here not needed for the Camino per se. I am still in the process of putting it together, but it will include:

Meds
Ibuprofen
Tylenol
Immodium
Sudafed
Claritin
Vicodin
Cipro
Z-Pack

Bandages/Etc
Assorted Bandaids
Steri-Strips of various sizes w/adhesive
Coban (1 in/3 in)
2X2 Gauze Pads
4X4 Gauze Pads
Abd Pads
Kerlix (2 in/4 in)
Antibiotic Ointment
Alcohol Wipes
Betadyne (small bottle)
Moleskin/Blister Management Tools (I have some special wound care stuff for this)
Suture Kit (http://www.rei.com/product/784611) w/extras from work
CPR Mask (http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Pr ... ItemId=522)
Nitrile Gloves

Again, this is a starting point for me. I will put it all together, then probably scale it down. Once I get all of my stuff together, I will post pictures and lists before I leave. I like to be prepared which is why keeping my pack light is such a problem for me! :)

Re: Equipent list and opinions from recent camino

Hi
I have been searching for a lightweight kilt for a while now,does anybody know of one.
Idealy a plain black one ( goth style)
Ian
My friends did camino last year in lightweight Stewart kilts they got in lidl around burns day. They both said they would wear them again. I did my camino in a dress (took 3 dresses )

Last edited:
Greetings one and all,

I keep seeing posts about people taking whistles. If you own an Osprey (and experience says that many of you do), please note that the funky buckle on your chest strap IS a whistle.

Just thought I would share, as we did not discover this until our 2nd Camino. LOL!

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Gitti,
My hubby has bought the Aarn Liquid Agility pack and I've just picked up his front Balance Pockets, 12l. (There are 3 sizes . . . 15 ltr, 12 ltr and 6 ltr.) I'm wondering what size pockets you bought, as I feel these may be too big and not necessary, please? Cheers Carole
Goodness, I just seemed to notice that I missed a whole lot of posts and I feel terrible. I am so sorry if I did not respond to you...
My list has remained pretty much the same as before, but I did get rid of the Aarn. I now use a Deuter Groeden 30 ltr pack for women and fit everything in. I loved the Aarn, but somehow it did not feel ok with my shoulders ( had frozen shoulders at the time) and my back. The Deuter works better for me, but I still love the Aarn concept.
When I did use the Aarn pockets, I used the small ones.

Hi all

This is the list I found somewhere on the net and what I use for packing:

Main equipment
Rucksack: 35 – 60 litres
Water-Resistant liner bag for your rucksack.
Lightweight sturdy boots or walking shoes.
Sleeping bag and/or liner
Good waterproof gear – light poncho or rainjacket for the summer
Stick or walking poles.
Reflective vest
Clothing
2- 4 pairs walking socks, or 2 pairs thick socks, 4 liner socks
3 sets pants (boxer shorts can chafe, best avoided).
2 pairs walking trousers or shorts (lightweight zip-off trousers give you plenty of options).
3 shirts or t-shirts (lightweight long-sleeved shirts protect against the sun).
1 long-sleeve fleece jersey
Broad-brimmed hat
1 pair lightweight flip flops for showering and crocs or lightweight sandals for evenings.
Lightweight down jacket for keeping warm when not walking.
Miscellaneous
Passport, EHIC card or its equivalent, travel insurance documents, travel tickets, pilgrim record/credencial, credit cards, money
Mobile phone
Guide book (essential on less-frequented routes).
Compass (if you are walking alone and/or on one of the less-frequented routes or in winter).
Whistle (if you are walking alone and/or on one of the less-frequented routes or in winter).
Basic toiletries to suit your own needs :Shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, comb or brush, tissues, disposable razors, nail file, nail clippers, alcohol hand cleaning gel, lip balm).
Roll of toilet paper.
Towel (preferably a light-weight sports or travel towel).
Universal bath/basin plug.
Water bottle, min 1lt (consider the value of an aluminium one, which can double as a hot-water bottle, if walking in cooler seasons).
A length of string or paracord (clothes-line; emergency boot-lace; etc).
6 large safety pins (much safer than clothes-pegs, especially if you need to dry your socks etc. on your rucksack as you walk along).
Needle and thread for running repairs.
12″-18″ square of bubble wrap (weighs nothing and provides a miniature ground sheet for when you have to sit on wet ground).
Wax for your boots (if you are wearing leather footwear).
Very small torch .
Notebook/diary.
Ballpoint pen.
Chargers for electronic devices and plug adapter.
Plastic spoon or spork for picnic lunches or albergue cold suppers.
Thin pillowcase (some albergues may provide pillows which aren’t always as clean as you would like, some don’t provide any pillows, just stuff the case with your clothes).

I have always used a waterproof poncho with a fleece under it for cold rains, but I recall someone posting that they couldn't have survived without their waterproof pants. I usually tucked my pants into my socks or wore shorts if it was too muddy, but I wonder what you think of waterproof pants? We had so much rain on this last Camino that I kind of think they might have been of benefit. I haven't investigated them thoroughly, and I think they are quite heavy, which might keep them off my packing list.

I'd be interested in others' opinions and experiences. Thanks.

Peace.

lynne[/Q
The Marmot precip rain pants and jacket are light, compress to almost nothing, have great reviews and they keep your dry.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The Marmot precip rain pants and jacket are light, compress to almost nothing and keep you dry.

I have heard of the need to take something to make hot water in the morning for a cup of tea. Is this something that is worthwhile or is it better just to find a place for a morning cup of tea or coffee?
I don't start my 1st Camino until this June but as of right now. ..I can't imagine starting my day without a cup of hot coffee. That might change as my Walk progresses.

For the most part, I am a winter person. When ever I can, I will wear shorts unless I'm going to Church or there's a freezing sleet or rain. On my longest hikes I

A good pair of gaiters come in mid calf or ankle length, can be opened at the side to reduce sweating (a major problem with wet gear) and allow you to use a poncho to best effect.

Arn
I have been searching for a good pair of gaiters. All I have seen seem designed for cold weather and snow. Any recommendations?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't start my 1st Camino until this June but as of right now. ..I can't imagine starting my day without a cup of hot coffee. That might change as my Walk progresses.
Hi! I've just walked the first 7 stages of Camino del Norte. Just like you, I can't start my day without a cup of coffee. You can get your coffee everywhere. It depends on the time you want to start early morning. Most of the Albergues offer a cup (or more!) of coffee and a bread roll with marmalade at 6 am, some at 7am but not later because they want to get rid of pilgrims by 8am. and close the Albergue. And you are reading good: ANY time of the day you can get coffee and some finger food at the tavernas or bars. My favorite was "café con leche", kind of cafe latte. The spaniards have really good coffee machines. No worries! Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rather late in the thread, but FWIW, here's my list for upandcoming Porto - SdC walk (start 2nd April - my 11th camino)
Terranova Laser 20 pack (Yes, 20 litres), Rab down sleeping bag, light slippers, 2 x 380ml bottles, merino baselayer top and underpants,merino T shirt,1 x smartwool socks, light cotton pants for indoors/when zip-offs get soaked.
Wash kit: 2 x metre square muslin towels ,soap , flannel, toothbrush and paste
Misc: ipod ,phone, travel plug ,charger ,mini SA knife, mini led torch, travel washing line ,string , tissue packs. Prescription sunglasses as spares
Medical: blister packs, elastoplasts, savlon , antihistamine cream ,needle and thread, ibuprofen, gehwol footcream, tiger balm.
Brierley maps,credencial,passport,E111,YHA card , tickets etc
Money belt with bulk of cash, change purse with daily requirements
Embroidery hoop, X stitch pattern, needles and silks. Small sketching pads and pencils.
200grm biscuits, 100grm dark chocolate. Thin cloth bag with long straps for evening food shopping
Worn: New Balance GTX trailrunners, merino socks, zip-off pants, merino baselayer, merino T shirt, Berhaus GTX coat.
Total all-up weight including water and snacks: 3.8kgs.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.