• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment list for Camino Primitivo (September)

Michael Caleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo September 2016
Hi all

As mentioned in a previous post I thought it might be a good idea to get a basic packing list for the different Caminos and different seasons and discuss (this will be a blast).

So here is mine for the Camino Primitivo in September and as I am male the list might be different for the ladies in the forum.

Main equipment
Rucksack: Osprey 33ltr
Water-Resistant liner bag for your rucksack and raincover
Lightweight sturdy boots
Sleeping bag liner
Rainjacket and overtrousers
Walking poles
Reflective vest
3 pairs walking socks
3 sets pants (Underarmour).
2 pairs walking trousers or shorts (1 long and 1 short)
3 t-shirts
1 long-sleeve fleece jersey
Broad-brimmed hat
1 pair crocs
Lightweight fleece jacket
Miscellaneous
Passport, EHIC card, travel insurance documents, travel tickets, pilgrim record/credencial, credit cards, money
Wallet for valuables which I carry around my neck
Iphone
Guide book (essential on less-frequented routes).
Whistle
Shower gel, toothpaste, toothbrush, tissues, nail clippers, alcohol hand cleaning gel, lip balm
toilet wipes for albergues
Travel Towel
Universal bath/basin plug.
Aluminium water bottle, min 1lt
A length of string or paracord (clothes-line; emergency boot-lace; etc).
6 large safety pins (much safer than clothes-pegs, especially if you need to dry your socks etc. on your rucksack as you walk along).
Needle and thread for running repairs.
12″-18″ square of bubble wrap (weighs nothing and provides a miniature ground sheet for when you have to sit on wet ground).
Very small torch .
Notebook/diary.
Ballpoint pen.
Chargers for IPhone
Plastic spoon or spork for picnic lunches or albergue cold suppers.
Thin pillowcase

Happy discussing.

Buen camino a todos

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're experienced backpacking with your gear, then I would trust your experience.

The thing that struck me odd was Nikwax. For maintaining waterproofing on your boots? Again, if you're experienced with your boots, great. If not, make sure to break them in well and get used to spending day after day in them. Either way, not sure that one is worth the weight.

Not sure I'd take the aluminum water bottle. Two 500 to 800 ml disposable water bottles are lighter and more easily replaced. Moreover, with two, they balance their weight.

Since you're carrying spare toilet paper, I'll offer that also carrying a small trowel/spade would be good for burying waste. That's not specific to the Primitivo, just human courtesy, and too few ever think about it.

I'm not sure how/if the sleeping bag liner will meet your needs. Average low temps appear to range in the 50s. Perhaps you can test now how well you sleep in those temps by leaving the window open at night. Much tends to depend what else you wear when you sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Michael - noticed you've put in a rain jacket but not rain pants, poncho or back pack cover. Wondering if a water resistant liner will be adequate if the rain comes? Hope you enjoy the Primitivo!!

Hi Michael - noticed you've put in a rain jacket but not rain pants, poncho or back pack cover. Wondering if a water resistant liner will be adequate if the rain comes? Hope you enjoy the Primitivo!!

True. I forgot them and will amend the list.

In regards to the first response I am a very good sleeper and hate heat. Here it is 2 degrees Celsius at night and I have a very light blanket and no heating.

I hike since I am 20 yrs old and just came back home from 15 miles along the coast. So the boots I wear are broken in.

If your electronic device is a modern mobile phone or camera with micro-USB charging port you only need the charging chord. Every Spanish "thrift store" will sell a very small USB charger for a couple of Euros. See pictures attached. I ditched other heavy chargers and adaptors. This one weighs 20 grams.

Attachments

• PSX_20160302_225249.jpg
    PSX_20160302_225249.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 12
  • PSX_20160302_225333.jpg
    PSX_20160302_225333.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If your electronic device is a modern mobile phone or camera with micro-USB charging port you only need the charging chord. Every Spanish "thrift store" will sell a very small USB charger for a couple of Euros. See pictures attached. I ditched other heavy chargers and adaptors. This one weighs 20 grams.

Are you able to buy one of these in SJPDP.

Thank you. That´s the one I have. Will amend list.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @gidivet - I had a quick check on the Apple website I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, depending on where you are from. If one has a north american phone or at least a north american iPhone (I know nothing about other types of phones) the white box that has the prongs that go into the wall and that the USB cord plugs into is also the power converter. I think if you plugged a north american iPhone directly into a 220v wall socket with no converter between the wall and USB slot you may fry the phone as it is a 110v phone, not 220v. I'm not sure where the OP is from though so if he is from Europe your advice seems correct so this additional info would just be for north americans reading along.

apple charger.jpeg Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 9.55.32 AM.png

Hi @gidivet - I had a quick check on the Apple website I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, depending on where you are from. If one has a north american phone or at least a north american iPhone (I know nothing about other types of phones) the white box that has the prongs that go into the wall and that the USB cord plugs into is also the power converter. I think if you plugged a north american iPhone directly into a 220v wall socket with no converter between the wall and USB slot you may fry the phone as it is a 110v phone, not 220v. I'm not sure where the OP is from though so if he is from Europe your advice seems correct so this additional info would just be for north americans reading along.

View attachment 24545 View attachment 24546

Yes I am from the UK and lived in Spain and still have this plug

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 24545 View attachment 24546

Hi @jozero

The little plug I showed has the following specifications:

Input: 100 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz, 0.15 A
Output: 5V, 1A
I have used this plug to charge an iPad mini - albeit slowly.
I regularly use it to charge my own Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone, my Sony compact camera, and on occasion also a variety of android phones belonging to members of my family, and other pilgrims.

Remember that phones need DC power, and USB outlets on computers and wall chargers can vary from about 500 mA, whereas the modern iPad chargers will charge at 2.100 mA, all at 5 V DC.
With modern phones and tablets you can plug any USB device into any USB cable and into any USB port, and nothing will blow up — and in fact, using a more powerful charger should speed up battery charging. Theoretically.

On the other hand, Apple warns users to only use Apple branded chargers. This is because some companies making cheap knock-offs are going to be tempted to leave out the safety mechanisms in the circuitry. You will be safer with your Apple branded charger and an adaptor for European plugs, but don't worry about the INPUT voltage as this is taken care of by the charger.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.