• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment not to forget and Places not to miss - Ingles

Saidch

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello dear friends,

As I indicated in one previous post, in May i will be walking for the first time the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago over 5 to 6 days, my itinerary is the following:
  • Sunday : Ferrol - Neda around 2h30 + Neda to Pontedeume: 6 hours all
  • Monday : Pontedeume to Betanzos - 5 hours approx (18 - 20 km)
  • Tuesday : Betanzo to Hospital de Bruma approx 5 hours
  • Wednesday : Hospital de Bruma to Sigueiro approx 5 hours (22 km)
  • Thursday : Sigueiro to Santiago (around 16 km) approx 3h30
I would like to ask you 2 questions :
- what are the equipments that are ''not to forget'' in your optinion? things i might think about but are important for this walk?
- Along the road, ilike to talk to people, discover hidden gems, off the beaten paths, can you give some not to miss places? views? food to try....?people to meet..

thank you so much, have a great day!
Saïd

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Saïd,

You have chosen a gorgeous mini Camino IMHO.
I see that you will walk in May, do take into consideration that May contains some official holidays for the Spaniards and it might be busier than normal on the Inglés. Afterall this Camino is perfect for a Spaniard to walk in a holidayweek.

Regarding gear : do expect rain. Dress accordingly. I personally do not like a poncho but use a decent rainjacket and a quickdry trousers ( I do not bother with raintrousers either ).

Throughout the years the CI provided more types of lodgings.There are the obvious Xunta ones but also some nice private albergues.
Even Betanzos now has some more democratic places to stay.

For breakfast in Ferrol I can recommend café Lusitania , right in the city centre.

Simple hostal / restaurante in Pontedeume is Bar Luis. In 2018 a single room was 15 €.Wonder how much it is now.
They have Whatsapp to communicate.

Betanzos is rather famous for their tortilla. Ask a local for the good places.
Walking out of the centre there is Churreria Amy . Recommended. Edit : search says it is closed!

Betanzos is my favourite town on the CI.
Take your time to savour the sights.

Throughout the years the CI saw some changes and rerouting but for me it still a magical Camino.
And the Galicians are so friendly and helpful.

The church in Siguïero provided a Pilgrims Blessing years ago.

Friendly people in this hostal/ restaurante though also temporarily closed according to internet?

Happy preparations!

Last edited:
In 2019 when I walked the Ingles I really like Betanzos. It's worth exploring Inglesia San Francisco which includes a really stunning Medieval tomb. We attended the evening service at the church in the Praza Galicia (I'm not Catholic) and had a Pilgrim Blessing at the end. Afterwards, at the exit of the church, we talked with some delightful parishioners who were so friendly. It remains one of my Camino highlights. Betanzos is famous for its tortillas...runny in the centre and delicious.

I also attended the evening service in Siguïero with its Pilgrim Blessing. I was amazed because the Priest went through his parts at an absolute gallop, even cutting off the end of the person saying the prayers! That was also a great memory but of a different sort 😅

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for posting your planned stages, Saïd - I'd like to do this with my family one day so this is helpful information.
My tip for gear you might not think about is a pair of thin socks. Thick socks are great for padding. A pair of thin socks inside can really help stop the rubs (bamboo socks are great for breathability and you can wear them a week without washing). On long hot days, I sometimes take the thick socks off for a while and just wear thin ones for a while to give my feet a change!
Best wishes for all your planning.

Are you taking the railway walkway (pasarela) between San Martiño do Couto monastery and Neda? It's an alternative to following the coast from Ferrol missing out some of the quite forgettable suburbs.

If you google "Pasarela Monasterio do Couto- Est. Neda" someone has uploaded a video of part of the walk along it so you can see for yourself.

Are you taking the railway walkway (pasarela) between San Martiño do Couto monastery and Neda? It's an alternative to following the coast from Ferrol missing out some of the quite forgettable suburbs.

Indeed! Shaves of some kilometers by not passing Neda and the albergue there. Making Ferrol to Pontedeume doable in one day.
First Inglés I did not walk this way but second time I did.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

If you google "Pasarela Monasterio do Couto- Est. Neda" someone has uploaded a video of part of the walk along it so you can see for yourself.
hello thank you so much!

yes i have heard of this passerelle,
but I saw that if i take to coastal path, the distance is about 21 km from Ferrol to Pontedeume, which is for me doable in like 5 hours,
i am afraid to miss some nice villages along the way if I take the passerelle? or is there really nothing interesting along the coast?

thanks!

but I saw that if i take to coastal path, the distance is about 21 km from Ferrol to Pontedeume

If you follow the coastal path all along, the distance is more like 28 kilometers.

or is there really nothing interesting along the coast?

Well, I found the walk along the coast quite nice, but then I had decided to take an easy first (and second) day by cutting the stage in half by staying in Xubia the first night, so that was only about 13 km the first day.

Buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back