• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment Questions

Delynda Drury

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be enjoying the Camino de Santiago (French Way) next May 2016.
Hello,
My husband and I are planning our pilgrimage along the Camino Frances next May and are so excited. This forum has been such a benefit and wanted to post our packing list.
I realize weight is the enemy.
Any suggestions?

Camino de Santiago
Passports, Pilgrim Passports, Papers (photos of maps),

camera

bota bag

Hip-belt: pocket knife, marches/lighter, whistle/thermometer, hand lotion, sun block, insect repellant, eye glasses,

sun glasses, phone, ear-phones,

Wear: hiking pants (zip-off type), belt, T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, underwear, socks, bandana, hat & boots

Paul

pack2.07Osprey - Stratos 24 1,500
water bladder - 2.5 liter0.06
space Emergency bag 0.03lower pocket w/ pack cover
North Face Triclimate jacket2.06shell attached to side straps/fleece inside pack
space blanket (5 x 7)0.12attached to bottom straps
Inside pack:

water filter w/ water proof bag1.00First Need XLE Elite Water Purifier
head lamp0.03
socks (1) & underwear (1)0.04
thermal, wool caps, gloves0.08
short sleeve shirt (1)0.06
hiking shorts (1)0.08
shell pants0.06
Top pocket:
toilet gear (ditty bag)0.06tooth brushes/paste/floss, contact lens/solution, shaver, etc.
tissue0.01
Front pocket:
snacks
spork0.01
16oz water bottle0.02side pocket (filtering)
sandals0.07side pocket
food1.00
water (2 liters)1.14(1 fl. oz. water approx. 1 oz.)

Total:13.04

Delynda
pack2.05Osprey - Sirrus 24, 1,500/2.05
waterbladder 2.5 liter0.06
North Face Triclimate jacket2.06shell attached to side straps/fleece inside pack
Inside pack:
first-aid-kit & medicine 0.13
elastic bandage, snake syringe0.04
head lamp0.03
hiking shorts (1)0.08
shell pants0.06
ditty bag w/ liq.soap, 2 sm. brushes, 0.07lower pocket w/ pack cover
spot remover (Tide)
Top pocket:
toilet gear (ditty bag)0.06tooth brushes/paste/floss, contact lens/solution, etc.
tissue0.01
Front pocket:
snacks
spork0.01
wine opener/bottle opener/
can openerS0.02
16oz water bottle0.02side pocket (drinking)
sandals0.07side pocket
food1.00

Total:13.00

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would leave everything in red at home.
camera

bota bag

Hip-belt: pocket knife, marches/lighter, whistle/thermometer, -hand lotion, sun block, insect repellant, eye glasses,

sun glasses, phone, ear-phones -

Wear: hiking pants (zip-off type), belt, T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, underwear, socks, bandana, hat & boots

Paul

Inside pack:

head lamp0.03
hiking shorts (1)0.08
shell pants0.06
Top pocket:
toilet gear (ditty bag)0.06tooth brushes/paste/floss, contact lens/solution, shaver, etc.
tissue0.01
Front pocket:
snacks
spork0.01
16oz water bottle0.02side pocket (filtering) decide.. a water bottle or a bladder. I vote for the bottle.
sandals0.07side pocket
food1.00

Delynda
Inside pack:
first-aid-kit & medicine 0.13 What is in this?
head lamp0.03
hiking shorts (1)0.08
shell pants0.06
spot remover (Tide) - You will use either cold water soap bar or pay to wash/soap is included
Top pocket:
toilet gear (ditty bag)0.06tooth brushes/paste/floss, contact lens/solution, etc.
tissue0.01
Front pocket:
snacks
spork0.01
can openerS0.02 - nearly everything you buy on the Camino has a pop top
16oz water bottle0.02side pocket (drinking) decide - bladder or bottle?
sandals0.07side pocket
food1.00

Add: ziplock bag to put items in while in shower, ziplock bag to carry dirty toilet paper OUT, 1/3 bar of cold water washing soap, hankie in ziplock for pee stops

Where is your money belt? The one you wear UNDER your clothes?

Call bank to tell them you are going to Spain so they don't put a stop on your ATM card

I would leave everything in red at home.
camera

bota bag

Hip-belt: pocket knife, marches/lighter, whistle/thermometer, -hand lotion, sun block, insect repellant, eye glasses,

sun glasses, phone, ear-phones -

Paul

Inside pack:

head lamp0.03

hiking shorts (1)0.08
shell pants0.06
Top pocket:
tissue0.01
Front pocket:
snacks
spork0.01
16oz water bottle0.02side pocket (filtering) decide.. a water bottle or a bladder. I vote for the bottle.
sandals0.07side pocket
food1.00

Delynda
Inside pack:
first-aid-kit & medicine 0.13 What is in this?
head lamp0.03
hiking shorts (1)0.08
shell pants0.06
spot remover (Tide) - You will use either cold water soap bar or pay to wash/soap is included
Top pocket:
tissue0.01
Front pocket:
snacks
spork0.01
can openerS0.02 - nearly everything you buy on the Camino has a pop top
16oz water bottle0.02side pocket (drinking) decide - bladder or bottle?

sandals0.07side pocket
food1.00

Add: ziplock bag to put items in while in shower, ziplock bag to carry dirty toilet paper OUT, 1/3 bar of cold water washing soap, hankie in ziplock for pee stops

Where is your money belt? The one you wear UNDER your clothes?

Call bank to tell them you are going to Spain so they don't put a stop on your ATM card
Thank you, great advice. It's difficult to lighten the load but now I see what you mean.
Thanks for your input.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't like the bladders as they are tough to keep clean and often carry much more water than you need. On the French route, there are plenty of places to get clean, fresh water so you won't need a purifier, for sure. I just carried a 750ml bottle, camelled up in the morning and at some fountains / restaurants before re-filling the bottle and that was plenty. Their might be one or two sections that you may need a reserve bottle but I used a throw-away (recyclable!!) plastic liter bottle left over from dinner.

Snake syringe / can opener????

Leave the insect repellant and wool cap at home. You have separate mention of food and snacks plus cutlery. If you are intending to cook a meal most nights I suppose you can justify the weight but if you are really trying to trim your weight and not operating of a very small budget then you can eat out for dinner nightly for no more than €10.

I carried very light merino wool gloves for use for that 1st cold hour in the morning and a very light cotton hat for the hot afternoons.

Buen camino

Seamus

I agree with all the comments and would suggest all the removals Annie made. The Camino is not an Appalachian Trail thru hike. You are not camping, so water filters, matches, emergency blankets and utensils are not needed (unless you plan to cook each night and don't like using the common utensils that may (or may not) be in the local albergue).
And snake syringes are supposed to be dangerous to use (according to latest Wilderness First Aid training). I would just throw that away.

Rambler

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't like the bladders as they are tough to keep clean and often carry much more water than you need. On the French route, there are plenty of places to get clean, fresh water so you won't need a purifier, for sure. I just carried a 750ml bottle, camelled up in the morning and at some fountains / restaurants before re-filling the bottle and that was plenty. Their might be one or two sections that you may need a reserve bottle but I used a throw-away (recyclable!!) plastic liter bottle left over from dinner.

Snake syringe / can opener????
Well since you put it like that. They do sound unnecessary :)

Leave the insect repellant and wool cap at home. You have separate mention of food and snacks plus cutlery. If you are intending to cook a meal most nights I suppose you can justify the weight but if you are really trying to trim your weight and not operating of a very small budget then you can eat out for dinner nightly for no more than €10.

I carried very light merino wool gloves for use for that 1st cold hour in the morning and a very light cotton hat for the hot afternoons.

Buen camino

Seamus
We only plan to pack a few snacks for the day to eat along the way. We will be eating in restaurants/cafes or off what we can purchase in the local stores.

Buen camino

Seamus
Thank you, good advice. I was on the fence about the wool hat and gloves, i've watched so many videos of pilgrims along the camino and it seems they inevitably encounter rain and wind at one time or another. I guess I was trying to cover it all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree with all the comments and would suggest all the removals Annie made. The Camino is not an Appalachian Trail thru hike. You are not camping, so water filters, matches, emergency blankets and utensils are not needed (unless you plan to cook each night and don't like using the common utensils that may (or may not) be in the local albergue).
And snake syringes are supposed to be dangerous to use (according to latest Wilderness First Aid training). I would just throw that away.

Rambler
I appreciate your experience and advice. These options will make my load lighter.

Totally agree with the suggestions made above.

May I ask what a snake syringe is for?
Hi Lise
Quite honestly I think my husband was trying to foresee any possible accidents. Seriously I don't even know if there are venomous snakes along the Camino.

There are snakes as I found them but you have to be looking for them. What I found was a small snake 8-12 inches long, a head like a rattle snake, that are very shy but strike & move aggresively if you try to observe them, or move them. No idea if they have vemon, but you would have to work to get bitten as these snakes you won't see unless you start looking under trees or rocks.
So don't bother with packing a syringe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your reply.
I dont know either. I have seen pictures of snakes on the Camino...but I never saw one on two Camino's.

There are however gigantic slugs which are very impressive. ☺....and harmless.

I am a health and safety consultant and live in the prevention world. If I can offer some reassurance to your husband....there are a plethora of pharmacies along the Camino...so there is always somewhere to get medical supplies.

Have a most excellent walk. I am always envious when I see packing list posts.....it makes my feet itch ☺
Thank you, I really am anxious and have such a passion for traveling but this is not like any other I've experienced. Without doing it yet I can still see the desire to do it again.

Thanks What I found was the Lataste’s viper, goes to show maybe a person shouldn't go looking. But I was missing critters, as we have not only large numbers of game animals we have them in our towns.

So if you are a person afraid of snakes stay on the roads & stay away from dry rocky outcrops. As I saw no evidence of snakes on the actual trail or road. Just to clarify I spent a lot of time in deserts around the globe, if there are large numbers of snakes around you will find them sunning on the roads & trails. I don't believe that is even close to the reality on the Camino Francis
I will say you will be blessed if you get to see the Axis deer very small lovely deer. Just something to keep your eyes open as they are very quick. I only saw 2, one early in the morning & the other in the evening.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks What I found was the Lataste’s viper, goes to show maybe a person shouldn't go looking. But I was missing critters, as we have not only large numbers of game animals we have them in our towns.

So if you are a person afraid of snakes stay on the roads & stay away from dry rocky outcrops. As I saw no evidence of snakes on the actual trail or road. Just to clarify I spent a lot of time in deserts around the globe, if there are large numbers of snakes around you will find them sunning on the roads & trails. I don't believe that is even close to the reality on the Camino Francis
I will say you will be blessed if you get to see the Axis deer very small lovely deer. Just something to keep your eyes open as they are very quick. I only saw 2, one early in the morning & the other in the evening.
Thank you for the information. I believe we will leave the snake syringe home now. I do love wildlife and the deer sounds lovely. I enjoy being out in nature and similar to you I live in A place where deer and bear regularly show themselves and I love it. (Mammoth Mountain CA) but I guess I was feeling uncertain about snakes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I saw a snake along the trail on the Francés. It was dead with its head squished - poor thing.

There is an abundant supply of good sized snails along the way, which you can put into your pocket for dinner later, if that is your thing. ;)

:(:(:(:(:(:(
I saw a snake along the trail on the Francés. It was dead with its head squished - poor thing.

There is an abundant supply of good sized snails along the way, which you can put into your pocket for dinner later, if that is your thing. ;)
Haha ugh I think I'll pass on that. Now when I see them I'll think of that.
Thanks

:(:(:(:(:(:(
Haha ugh I think I'll pass on that. Now when I see them I'll think of that.
Thanks
Pocketing snails [presumably] for dinner later: On our approach to Logroño, we observed a townsperson doing just this; it gave me The Willies. :eek: After that, whenever I saw a snail on the trail, I'd help it in its crossing and try to obscure it under some vegetation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pocketing snails [presumably] for dinner later: On our approach to Logroño, we observed a townsperson doing just this; it gave me The Willies. :eek: After that, whenever I saw a snail on the trail, I'd help it in its crossing and try to obscure it under some vegetation.
Well that's one local way of life I won't be embracing.

Here's an interesting blog which - among other topics - deals with clothing. The blogger identifies his list of 13 core essential backpacking clothing that can be mixed-and-matched to create appropriate systems for every set of 3-season conditions. He also gives links and/ or photos, so you can see what he means.
Regards
Suzanne :)

Here's an interesting blog which - among other topics - deals with clothing. The blogger identifies his list of 13 core essential backpacking clothing that can be mixed-and-matched to create appropriate systems for every set of 3-season conditions. He also gives links and/ or photos, so you can see what he means.
Regards
Suzanne :)
Thank you. Great resource.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.