• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment review? Is this ok?

Giovanni02

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino planned on July-August 2023
Hi! I will be starting the camino del norte on the 10th of July and after reaching Santiago de Compostela I'll keep walking towards porto for another 15 days or so.
I was wondering If I could have some feedback on the equipment I was planning to bring with me (I weigh around 65kg and am 21 years old) :
Backpack: Osprey Stratos 34 - 1.4kg
3 Merino wool socks by Danish endurance (2 in the bag and one on me so about 120g in the bag)
3 Merino Tshirt by Danish endurance (2 in the bag and one on me, so about 350g in the bag)
2 lightweight shorts by decathlon forclaz(1 in the bag, one on me, so about 200g)
3 pairs of underwear (2 in the bag, one on me, about 100g)
Hoka One One speedgoat (650g) And
Sandals Teva Terra 5 as secondary pair of shoes (600g)
2 Trekking poles (around 550g, but most of the time they will not weigh on my back since I'll be using them)
Beauty Bag (lightweight Electric Razor, Toothbrush, toothpaste, solid soap to wash the clothes, suncream, all for about 500-600g, maybe even less)
Arnica lotion (200g)
Vaseline (200g)
1 light longsleeve shirt (200g at most)
1 pair of swimming pants (80g)
1 powerbank (300g)
1 light raincoat (90g?)
3 charging cables (1 for powerbank, 1 for smartphone, 1 for headphones; around 70g)
Sleeping mask and earplugs (150g)
First aid kit (350g)
Charging adapter (40g)
Vacuum plastic bags for clothing (60-70g)
1 lock for the bag when sleeping (70g)
Around 1.5kg for water (a bottle of 1.5L)
A notebook for writing (200g)

For a total of around 7.5/8kgs, including some food that I might bring)
Is it too much for my body weight (about 12.3% of my body weight)? Am I forgetting something important? Or am I bringing too much stuff (probably?)?
Is some of this equipment unreasonable or flat out bad?
Please feel free to tell me! It's my first camino and any feedback would really help me!
Thanks a lot
Giovanni❤️

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am 61 and my pack weighs only 6 kg and I am carrying a CPAP and a bunch of meds. I would leave out the charging bank, headphones, electric razor. Charge your phone once a day. Your sandals also look heavy to me. Maybe consider something lighter.

Are you wearing one of the shirts and shorts? Take out anything you will be wearing and re-weigh the pack.

Do you have a sleeping bag or liner?

3 Merino wool socks by Danish endurance (2 in the bag and one on me so about 120g in the bag)
3 Merino Tshirt by Danish endurance (2 in the bag and one on me, so about 350g in the bag) You have one long sleeve so you can leave one at home.
2 lightweight shorts by decathlon forclaz(1 in the bag, one on me, so about 200g) Why not one long trousers that you can zip off. Thinking of possible bugs and ticks and that way you are better protected.
Sandals Teva Terra 5 as secondary pair of shoes (600g) Something lighter like flipflops?
2 Trekking poles (around 550g, but most of the time they will not weigh on my back since I'll be using them)
Beauty Bag (lightweight Electric Razor, Toothbrush, toothpaste, solid soap to wash the clothes, suncream, all for about 500-600g, maybe even less) leave the razor IMO.
Arnica lotion (200g) Also can be bought in local farmacies.
Vaseline (200g) For your feet? Always possible to buy at local supermarkets.
1 pair of swimming pants (80g) Are you a keen swimmer? Otherwise leave at home.
1 powerbank (300g) Not essential unless you use your phone alot.
1 light raincoat (90g?) Absolutely a raincoat. 90 grams sounds really flimsy. You might want something more sturdy or at least combine with a middlelayer/ fleece.
3 charging cables (1 for powerbank, 1 for smartphone, 1 for headphones; around 70g)
First aid kit (350g) Again , take the mininum. Spanish farmacies are well stocked.
If staying in albergues you will at least need a liner for sleeping.

Charging adapter (40g)
1 lock for the bag when sleeping (70g) Not needed.All your valuables should be on your body when you are walking around in albergue/village.When asleep idem.
Around 1.5kg for water (a bottle of 1.5L) Two bottles of 750 ml might be handier?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Giovanni, welcome!
The weight definitely sounds a little bit heavy, so you may want to find a way to trim it down a bit. I see that you're taking water into account already, so that is good and actually puts you on par by my math. The Norte is supposed to be a harder hike (more hills), so a lighter bag will help you recover at the end of the days -- but I see you're a young pilgrim so you have that on your side ;) Less IS really more.
I would recommend smaller vials of Vaseline/Arnica and soaps/toothpastes and resupply along the way. You shouldn't need a powerbank if you have a newer phone unless you plan to use maps the entire way (unnecessary). I've also taken heavy sandals -- it's a hard decision to let those go, but the weight is substantial and something to consider.
Go ahead and do a long hike/walk with this gear and evaluate how you feel -- if this is the gear you've determined you need, then make friends with your bag and go and be happy!
Buen camino~

3 Merino Tshirt by Danish endurance (2 in the bag and one on me, so about 350g in the bag) You have one long sleeve so you can leave one at home.
2 lightweight shorts by decathlon forclaz(1 in the bag, one on me, so about 200g) Why not one long trousers that you can zip off. Thinking of possible bugs and ticks and that way you are better protected.
Sandals Teva Terra 5 as secondary pair of shoes (600g) Something lighter like flipflops?
Beauty Bag (lightweight Electric Razor, Toothbrush, toothpaste, solid soap to wash the clothes, suncream, all for about 500-600g, maybe even less) leave the razor IMO.
Arnica lotion (200g) Also can be bought in local farmacies.
Vaseline (200g) For your feet? Always possible to buy at local supermarkets.
1 pair of swimming pants (80g) Are you a keen swimmer? Otherwise leave at home.
1 powerbank (300g) Not essential unless you use your phone alot.
1 light raincoat (90g?) Absolutely a raincoat. 90 grams sounds really flimsy. You might want something more sturdy or at least combine with a middlelayer/ fleece.
First aid kit (350g) Again , take the mininum. Spanish farmacies are well stocked.
If staying in albergues you will at least need a liner for sleeping.

Charging adapter (40g)
1 lock for the bag when sleeping (70g) Not needed.All your valuables should be on your body when you are walking around in albergue/village.When asleep idem.
Around 1.5kg for water (a bottle of 1.5L) Two bottles of 750 ml might be handier?
Hi! Thanks to all for the answers!
So, here might be a good solution
Please tell me what you think.
Osprey Stratos 34 - 1.4kg
3 Merino Tshirt by Danish endurance (2 in the bag and one on me, so about 350g in the bag)
1 lightweight shorts by decathlon, 1 zipper Pant (1 in the bag, one on me, so about 200g)
Sandals Teva Terra 5 as secondary pair of shoes (600g) (I know they are a significant weight, but I think they are a good option nonetheless)
Beauty Bag ( travel Toothbrush, travel toothpaste, solid soap to wash the clothes, suncream, around 350g?)
1 light longsleeve shirt (150g)
1 pair of swimming pants (I LOVE to swim! Definitely needed.)(80g)
1 lightweight powerbank (170g, better than the 300g one I thought about before)
1 Carrhart raincoat (A bit sturdier, around 130g I think. Definitely a decent option)
3 charging cables (1 for powerbank, 1 for smartphone; around 50g)
Needle for blisters and some Blister tape (100g?)
Charging adapter (40g)
Around 1.5kg for water (2 bottles of 0.75; definitely better than one 1.5L bottle! This way I can balance the weight on the 2 sides of the bag! Thanks for the advice!)
Plus around 300 grams for a lunch on the road? So around 6.7 kgs, but actually if you take away trekking poles it comes down to 6.1/6.2kgs. Definitely doable
Maybe some small size arnica and vaseline can bump it up to 6.5 kgs at most. 6.8 if you consider a liner (would this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07RMYQPS4?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_XVZCVJ12XFEZNC0PJMM1 be an okay one?)
Thanks for all the support and help
Giovanni

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just my 2 cents - I would leave out the following:
1 Merino Tshirt
Sandals Teva Terra 5 as secondary pair of shoes (600g) Something lighter?
Electric Razor,
Arnica lotion (200g)

1 pair of swimming pants (80g) Can you multipurpose the shorts???? How much do you really think you will swim to justify the weight?
1 light raincoat (90g?)
charging cables (1 for powerbank
Sleeping mask - I multipurpose something else if I need a mask

First aid kit (350g) Bring minimal blister care supplies
Vacuum plastic bags for clothing (60-70g) TOO NOISY!
1 lock for the bag when sleeping (70g) I wouldn't bother with a bag lock, but I would keep valuables with me even when sleeping/showering. I don't keep anything in my bag that I can't replace.
A notebook for writing (200g) Can you journal on an app on your phone?

Also - your water bottle should be included in your base weight - but weigh when empty. Water/food doesn't count in base weight as they are consumable items and weight will constantly fluctuate.

Hi all! I found some good lighter equipment! Feel free to tell me if this is a good improvement!

Salomon Trailblazer 30: 550grams

1 merino long sleeve+ pants danish endurance (for cool nights and evenings) 380g

Ultralight sandals Xero Shoes Z-Trail 340g

1 spare merino wool Shirt in the backpack by Danish Endurance (2 total): 200g

2 750ml Plastic water Bottles 80g (Plus up to 1.5kg in water supply, but I'll try to fill them up to 1L, so 1Kg)

Organizers for backpack (2 organizers + 1 bag for sandals) 180g

1 light liner 170g

1 sunscreen 177ml 200g

2 microfiber towels 140g (1 for body 1 for face)

1 spare pair of short that I can multipurpose as swimming costume (in total, 2 pairs of shorts. The other one is a zipper long/short pant) 200g

1 dr bronner soap for laundry and body 140g

1 carhartt light raincoat: 140g

1 travel toothbrush+toothpaste 75g

2 spare merino wool socks in the backpack (3 total) 110g

1 shampoo+conditioner solid soap 120g

2 spare Underwear (3 total) 150g

5 sealable plastic bags for dirty clothes/organizing 80g

1 deodorant 70g

1 small vaseline (50ml) 60g

1 charging cable 30g

1 Brick charger 50g

1 travel hair comb 50g

1 charging adapter 40g

1 reusable Earplug 30g

So if my math is right I'll have around 4.65 kgs of backpack (Including around 1kg of water) , and when I swap my Hokas with the sandals at the end of the day It'll go up at around 5kgs. Still good I think.

Furthermore, I have another question: Would all this stuff fit in my Salomon 30? I think so, but maybe someone with more experience will know better!

Other Things That I will have on me (but not in my backpack):
1 Waterproof Hipbelt for keeping my valuables safe (105g) with inside:
1 Ultralight Powerbank 115g
1 light sketchbook 100g
1 smartphone 175g
1 cable 30g
1 pen 20g
For a total of around 0.55 kg on my hip, all included

And also

Light trekking poles Alpin Loacker Pro in Carbon fiber 480g on my hands.

Also, I will keep my wallet (150g) In a safe pocket in my trousers.

Is this all fine?

Again, thanks a lot for all the help!

Organizers for backpack (2 organizers + 1 bag for sandals) 180g

1 light liner 170g

2 microfiber towels 140g (1 for body 1 for face)

1 dr bronner soap for laundry and body 140g

1 shampoo+conditioner solid soap 120g

1 Brick charger 50g

Furthermore, I have another question: Would all this stuff fit in my Salomon 30? I think so, but maybe someone with more experience will know better!
This second list is a good improvement. But you could still go lighter IF YOU WANT TO. If this weight is fine for you - then stick with it. But if you want to lighten it up more:
Do you need a bag for your sandals? I put mine in the outer front pocket along with my rain jacket.
If you go with a silk liner - you might be able to get that weight down. Mine is 103 grams and is rectangular shape with a pillow picket.
Do you need a second towel for your ace? Most bring just one.
I just bring a "Shampoo Bar" for hair, body, and laundry and skip the Dr Bonner and conditioner (some are conditioning shampoo bars)
Is your brick charger just a plug? Or is it a powerbank? You don't need two powerbanks. And in my opinion - you don't even need 1 powerbank. I recharged before going to sleep, turned off my phone during the night, and kept it on airplane mode most of the day. Battery had plenty of power left at the end of the day. BUT - if you stop for lunch and ask nicely - many bars will let you top off your charge if you have used your phone excessively that day.

And will all of it fit? Probably - but depends on how bulky your items are. I can fit my gear into a 24L with a little room for snacks. But I am a small to medium female. Go ahead and pack it, try it on, and see how it works! Walk with it some to see if you are comfortable with the current weight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This second list is a good improvement. But you could still go lighter IF YOU WANT TO. If this weight is fine for you - then stick with it. But if you want to lighten it up more:
Do you need a bag for your sandals? I put mine in the outer front pocket along with my rain jacket.
If you go with a silk liner - you might be able to get that weight down. Mine is 103 grams and is rectangular shape with a pillow picket.
Do you need a second towel for your ace? Most bring just one.
I just bring a "Shampoo Bar" for hair, body, and laundry and skip the Dr Bonner and conditioner (some are conditioning shampoo bars)
Is your brick charger just a plug? Or is it a powerbank? You don't need two powerbanks. And in my opinion - you don't even need 1 powerbank. I recharged before going to sleep, turned off my phone during the night, and kept it on airplane mode most of the day. Battery had plenty of power left at the end of the day. BUT - if you stop for lunch and ask nicely - many bars will let you top off your charge if you have used your phone excessively that day.

And will all of it fit? Probably - but depends on how bulky your items are. I can fit my gear into a 24L with a little room for snacks. But I am a small to medium female. Go ahead and pack it, try it on, and see how it works! Walk with it some to see if you are comfortable with the current weight.
Hi! Thanks for your reply!
A few things:
1) my charging brick is just a plug. I won't bring two powerbanks
2)I have an old phone with low battery life. Moreover, under warm weather usually battery life tends to decrease even more, so to me bringing an ultralight powerbank seems reasonable.
3) I would generally agree on the soap, but my hair get pretty tangled since I have dyed hair tips and most conditioner+shampoo bars don't work well enough for me.

On the other side, thanks! I will definitely search for a lighter liner and probably won't bring a bag for my sandals.

Regarding the microfiber towels, I don't know. Having two separated towels for body and face is probably not strictly necessary, but I slightly sensitive and acne prone skin. Seems a little bit more hygienic to have two separate towels. Not bringing the smaller one only saves about 40g. Negligible improvement in my humble opinion

Another thought, there are stores in Spain. If you arrive and need something, you can usually source it. If you find you have too much, leave it in the donation box at the albergue or mail it ahead. I try never to take anything that I can't bear to part with in case I leave it or loose it.

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
A few things:
1) my charging brick is just a plug. I won't bring two powerbanks
2)I have an old phone with low battery life. Moreover, under warm weather usually battery life tends to decrease even more, so to me bringing an ultralight powerbank seems reasonable.
3) I would generally agree on the soap, but my hair get pretty tangled since I have dyed hair tips and most conditioner+shampoo bars don't work well enough for me.

On the other side, thanks! I will definitely search for a lighter liner and probably won't bring a bag for my sandals.

Regarding the microfiber towels, I don't know. Having two separated towels for body and face is probably not strictly necessary, but I slightly sensitive and acne prone skin. Seems a little bit more hygienic to have two separate towels. Not bringing the smaller one only saves about 40g. Negligible improvement in my humble opinion
In that case - bring them! You know your needs. But do as I suggested and pack your bag now and start wearing it. That is the only way to really know if you are still brining too much for you. You already lightened your load a bit - so that is good. Worst case? It is still too heavy and you decide to donate items or mail them home.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi! I will be starting the camino del norte on the 10th of July and after reaching Santiago de Compostela I'll keep walking towards porto for another 15 days or so.
I was wondering If I could have some feedback on the equipment I was planning to bring with me (I weigh around 65kg and am 21 years old) :
2 lightweight shorts by decathlon forclaz(1 in the bag, one on me, so about 200g)
Sandals Teva Terra 5 as secondary pair of shoes (600g)
Beauty Bag (lightweight Electric Razor, Toothbrush, toothpaste, solid soap to wash the clothes, suncream, all for about 500-600g, maybe even less)
Arnica lotion (200g)
Vaseline (200g)
1 pair of swimming pants (80g)
1 powerbank (300g)
1 light raincoat (90g?)
First aid kit (350g)
Charging adapter (40g)
1 lock for the bag when sleeping (70g)
Around 1.5kg for water (a bottle of 1.5L)

For a total of around 7.5/8kgs, including some food that I might bring)
Is it too much for my body weight (about 12.3% of my body weight)? Am I forgetting something important? Or am I bringing too much stuff (probably?)?
Is some of this equipment unreasonable or flat out bad?
Please feel free to tell me! It's my first camino and any feedback would really help me!
Thanks a lot
Giovanni❤️
Hi there...

So I'm doing this in '24 and my gear will be total weight of 7kgs incl 1.5 water and 600gms of consumerables so including my pack just under 5kgs.....but you are much younger so you might be happy carrying all this stuff...I'm a self confessed lightweight trekker and will ditch stuff to save grams!

So to help do you have:-
- a sleeping liner for the Alberges? Or are you in hotels?
- A trek towel like Sea to Summit one?

- I would ditch the swim trunks and use the walking shorts
- Merino takes a lot longer to dry during the day if sweaty and at night if you wash them.... ever thought of synthetic stuff ?
- Do you need 3 tees ?
- the lock I wouldn't bother with, take a hip pouch instead. Many Alberges do lockers
-Carrying 200ml of vaseline and arnica is a lot ....400gms!
-The sandals are seriously heavy ...flip flops are 260g. Or are you walking in them?
-Power bank is also huge, as are cable weights you could halve that weight easily
-bin the pad and use the phone...

Not seeing a fleece, a sun hat, a sit pad, a buff, Leuko tape?

Personally I would prefer to carry a rain shell and trousers but many don't and I would shave the weight down considerable to put them in...

Hope this helps?

Rog

Hi there...

So I'm doing this in '24 and my gear will be total weight of 7kgs incl 1.5 water and 600gms of consumerables so including my pack just under 5kgs.....but you are much younger so you might be happy carrying all this stuff...I'm a self confessed lightweight trekker and will ditch stuff to save grams!

- Merino takes a lot longer to dry during the day if sweaty and at night if you wash them.... ever thought of synthetic stuff ?
- Do you need 3 tees ?
- the lock I wouldn't bother with, take a hip pouch instead. Many Alberges do lockers
-The sandals are seriously heavy ...flip flops are 260g. Or are you walking in them?
-Power bank is also huge, as are cable weights you could halve that weight easily

Personally I would prefer to carry a rain shell and trousers but many don't and I would shave the weight down considerable to put them in...

Hope this helps?

Rog
Hi, thanks for the help! I managed to basically bring most of the things I mentioned, but I opted for more lightweigh option (silk liner for 100g, a 95g powerbank, ultralight microfiber towel for 100gs... Vaseline 60g and Arnica 70g)
At the end of the day, The backpack (water included) weighs only 4.75kg. I think I did a great job. As a backpack I opted for a 552g Salomon Trailblazer 30, and all the stuff fits perfectly. As sandals, I chose the Xero shoes Z trail that weighs only 360g. Basically I'm fully equipped but still lightweight.
I still chose to bring 3 tshirts but I think it's better this way, so that I'm always sure to have a clean one. I found an ultralight deodorant cream that weighs only 25g and it should last for a couple of weeks.
I made a lot of improvement and I feel very confident for my first camino!

Hi there...

- Do you need 3 tees ?

Hope this helps?

Rog
Regarding fleece, sun hat etc...
In the end I put in a Sun hat and Leuko tape. Regardin the sit pad... Is it really that necessary?
For the buff, I don't think I really need it.
Regarding the fleece... I'll be walking in july/august. I don't think I'll need it much. I have a lightweight raincoat and a technical ultralight long sleeved shirt. That will be enough I, think.
I also have a light cotton long pants for the nights. Still under 5kgs including water. Plus 600g in my pouch and my carbon fiber trekking poles on my hands (460g if I remember correctly). I don't consider trekking poles as backpack weight since I will have them in my hands lile 95% of the time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't worry so much about the weight of the backpack considering your youth. If you're in reasonable shape for your age, you won't have any problems. On all my trips I've carried several extra kilograms on my back and large rucksacks, even though they are heavier, because they gave me a lot of space so I could easily take things out and put things in them, which can prove to be a problem if your things barely fit in the backpack at first travels.
You should definitely try walking with what you plan to wear on the Camino, so you will feel if this weight is a problem for you.
Everyone will give you well-intentioned advice, but it will differ according to our experience, age, level of fitness, preferences, how much underwear and T-shirt we want to bring and a hundred other criteria.
Put everything you want in your backpack and start walking 20-25 kilometers a day or as much as you intend to walk a day, and you will make the best decision for yourself.
It's not the same when you're 20 or 70 years old.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.