• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment Weight - question

Cecilia

I forgot how heavy was my backpack (+ water + camera) during Camino Frances. But whatever it was -- it was too heavy! :( I've been reading old posts here, but still a bit confused. :roll:

Forgive me for asking again, but how much is suggested? I'm 5' 5" and on the "light" side. Thanks,
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the rule of thumb is that the pack weight should be no more than 10% of your weight. The more you can get under that the better.

That 10 percent rule can have some deviations, come on!! If a 120 pound girl takes 12 pounds and a 200 pound guy takes 20, it ends up that the girl has to take substantially less than the guy. And he gets to take 8 pounds more stuff? It all comes down more to what is the least amount of (light-weight) things you can take. One change of clothes, toiletries, guide etc will weigh the same for all.
And yes, I know that if those 2 walk together he can carry more for her, but that is not true for most of us lone walkers.

Lillian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not really a matter of who "gets to take more stuff" but of a practical guide to what can comfortably be carried. It really boils down to the 120 pound person "having to take less" because of the, in general, inability to take more. If the 200 pounder can get by with 12 pounds more power to him.

The Mountain backpackers of SA suggests 10 - 15% of your bodyweight, based on the premise that some people have smaller body frames than others.

I started with more but ended up with 10% of my body weight, which was perfect.
I also was heavier when I started by 15 pounds!
So I got rid of stuff along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cecilia said:
I forgot how heavy was my backpack (+ water + camera) during Camino Frances. But whatever it was -- it was too heavy! :( I've been reading old posts here, but still a bit confused. :roll:

Forgive me for asking again, but how much is suggested? I'm 5' 5" and on the "light" side. Thanks,
Buen Camino!

It's not easy to carry less than your 10% being a "light weight" girl. For us men, and for me, no problem, because we use to be heavier and stronger. But the general rule is to carry only what you really need and, about every one of this things, to choose the lightest one. Sometimes it takes several months, sometimes something you find in a supermarket, sometimes is your imagination that gives you an idea about something valuable for you. I have several specific things only to walk, for nothing else.

And the backpack. It's important to seize every opportunity to tie it to your body. And of course, it include your chest and your stomach. It make it less heavy while walking a lot of km.

About the stick (I only use to take one, not two), it allows to reduce the feeling of a heavy backpack, when going up or down. I've heard that in a 15%.

About water, I only carry one liter bottle, and sometimes it's not full because I know that there's no problem to obtain water if necessary.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I wish I had a euro for every person who told me my pack was too heavy. They were right though!

I was 100 kg when I started (I lost 15) and my pack, including food and water weighed around 17kg. Part of the problem was that all my gear was old and heavy, like me!

AJ - you are not alone.
On my first camino I took my loaded backpack to a camino workshop and asked the person who presented a talk on packing backpacks to check it with me. As we unpacked the items I could see total confusion in her face. "Lets put things on one side that you really need, and doubtful items on the other side," she said diplomatically.
My matching fleece hat, gloves and scarf went on one side; joined by black tights, a black thermal vest, wrap around skirt and a little black jacket (for going out in the evenings, you see) a lovely Bali sarong (for wearing after showering), an extra pair of two-in-one trousers (the new 'in thing' 8 years ago) a pair of comfortable walking shoes (even though I had slops for the showers and hikers to trek in) a large shampoo-shower gel, a normal bath towel, a pillow!! and so on, and so on.
Did I take any notice? Yes, of course I did - until I got home and then I couldn't imagine myself with all those extras so back they all went. When we checked in at the airport my pack weighed 12kg. I still don't know how it got so heavy - everything in it 'weighed nothing'.
I ended up sending 5kg onto Santiago and I even donated a few items into a lost property box.
We are all evolving pilgrims!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This may be a bit off topic but I am starting my exercise regime for the camino and am curious what folks think about training with a pack weight of 25 pounds (11.4 kgs) or more - not that I plan to carry all that weight!
Thanks, Cullen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
sillydoll said:
AJ - you are not alone.
"Lets put things on one side that you really need, and doubtful items on the other side," she said diplomatically.
My matching fleece hat, gloves and scarf went on one side; joined by black tights, a black thermal vest, wrap around skirt and a little black jacket (for going out in the evenings, you see) a lovely Bali sarong (for wearing after showering),

Hi Sillydoll,
Just a word in favour of ... the Bali sarong. Or any old sarong for that matter. A sarong (or peice of cloth) is just about the best addition to my pack after the actual hiking trus and boots. On the 2 caminos I have done my old sarong has been used as.... skirt, top, after shower wrap, PJs, tablecloth, curtain, to lie on (nearly every day), towel, sore arm support, etc etc. Never would I go without the old faithful sarong. It's invaluable to me, but like everything .. a matter of personal choice. Thanks for all your helpful advice Sil, on all sorts of things.
Buen camino
Carole (Australia)

I thought I had only packed essentials in my backpack. Living in Fl I didn't have much chance to train on hills or steep inclines. After I got off the train in SJPP and was huffing and puffing up the street I decided that something had to go. I went through everything and ended up leaving a bag of "essentials" at L'Esprit du Chemin. I never missed anything I left and continued to get rid of things through out my walk.

Weight, weight, weight - despite my obsession :) when I was walking the Camino Portuguese earler in the year I carried far too much. Yesterday morning before leaving I threw out everything I didn´t really need and also went back to rigourous choices of smaller items for the toilet bag. The result was my rucksack weighted in at 5.5 kgs at the airport yesterday - and I still know it could be lighter!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola - I use a Rab Quantum TopBag - 550g

The leaflet says:

The Quantum Top Bag AR has 200g of down on top and round the foot plug and only a single layer of Quantum fabric on the base. It has a sleeping mat sleeve in the base which will fit a 3/4 or full length mat. The sleeping bag is designed to be used on adventure races, mountain marathons and minimalist backpacking trips in conjunction with an insulating pad that is best cut to the shape of the bag (or for the hard core use bubble wrap!)

So I find it ideal winter as well - perfect for albergues as when using beds or matresses no insultaing pad is necessary.

Good luck with the weight!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.