• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment

Shirley Prisco

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I am planning to walk the Camino this year, late August into September. I have a couple of questions. First footwear. I have never been able to wear hiking boots, trail runners etc. I have tried all kinds and they simply don't work for me. I am planning on walking in sneakers. I have hiked all over with them and have never had a problem. I am concerned about the lack of waterproofing. Any suggestions about footwear would be appreciated. Second question. Will I need a sleeping bag? I would love to do without due to the weight. Once again, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Shirley

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you have experience hiking with a pack in sneakers & have no ankle issues you will get along fine they will need good traction. Just make sure you have walking poles for balance, as they will save you from falling. The steep terrain can be slick with loose gravel or if it rains mud.

I have not walked the months you are going but it will be hot. I would not take a sleeping bag that time of year. There are some light quilts that others can attest to.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the information. No sleeping bag makes a lighter pack. The lighter the better as far as I am concerned. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Shirley,
Have you hiked all over with sneakers, a backpack that weighs ~ 15 lbs averaging 15+ miles a day, every day for several weeks? If so you will be okay. I know you said you have tried many shoes, but how about Hoko One One? I recently considered these, but found them too narrow for my wide feet. You can waterproof your sneakers with spray and use gaiters.
I doubt you will need sleeping bag for Oct/Sep, but consider a liner that weighs just a few ounces, or a quilt/summer sleeping bag - many < 1 lb.
Good Luck,
Janice

You are required to have some sort of sleeping linen for most albergues. A sleep sack should be sufficient for your time of year. Albergues at high elevations have blankets if you need one, though you may have to ask. There are inexpensive, light weight silk sleep sacks available on eBay. Buen camino!

Hi Shirley,
Have you hiked all over with sneakers, a backpack that weighs ~ 15 lbs averaging 15+ miles a day, every day for several weeks? If so you will be okay. I know you said you have tried many shoes, but how about Hoko One One? I recently considered these, but found them too narrow for my wide feet. You can waterproof your sneakers with spray and use gaiters.
I doubt you will need sleeping bag for Oct/Sep, but consider a liner that weighs just a few ounces, or a quilt/summer sleeping bag - many < 1 lb.
Good Luck,
Janice

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is not news that "It rains in Spain" waterproof or water repellent mean very little after a long wet day in Galicia, "The Seattle of Spain". Please consider shoes that will dry. Perhaps short gaiters to keep some of the water out.
Twice I have worn Hokas. The first pair I believe were "Conquest" They had two layers of fabric and held wet sand real well(Portugues Litoral Camino). Removing the insole helped dry them but unfortunately I had to put on wet shoes too often. The next pair worked better (Camino Ingles) less rain. My wife wears men's Hokas because they have a wider toe-box. You might also investigate "Altras" which are wide by design.
Whatever your decision on sleeping bags, "sleep is important" so test sleeping with a light cover before you go.... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the CF last August-September.
No need for a full size sleeping bag. Some sort of liner or packable quilt will work fine.
No need for any type of water-proof footwear. It's not cold, so if you feet get wet and you are wearing lightweight shoes, they dry quickly.
As far as footwear goes, trail runners are "sneakers". They are basically running shoes with a more aggressive tread for unimproved surfaces and inclines/declines. To me they are perfect footwear for the CF. It's not a trail hike. If there were no unimproved surfaces on the CF you could walk the whole thing wearing a good pair of regular running shoes.

Great suggestions regarding foot wear IF you have "normal" feet. I have wide, short, high volume feet, with one foot 1/2 size bigger in size and volume. Lots of people wear trail runners, but I have never understood how these can bear the load of a 15lb+ pack.
Janice

Probably just a sleeping bag liner. There were always blankets in the alburgues where we needed them (July 2014), although some recent posts suggests that some alburgues are getting rid of them as part of the war on bedbugs.

+1 on the suggestion to ignore waterproof footwear (too hot, and takes forever to dry when they inevitably get wet), and get footwear that dries fast. For rain and gravel/dirt paths, I now use Keen Arroyo II sandals (although on the Camino in July 2014 I bought Keen Newports because that was all I could find). I also carry a second pair of athletic shoes designed for concrete/asphalt (there is more of that than I care to remember).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning to walk the Camino this year, late August into September. I have a couple of questions. First footwear. I have never been able to wear hiking boots, trail runners etc. I have tried all kinds and they simply don't work for me. I am planning on walking in sneakers. I have hiked all over with them and have never had a problem. I am concerned about the lack of waterproofing. Any suggestions about footwear would be appreciated. Second question. Will I need a sleeping bag? I would love to do without due to the weight. Once again, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Shirley
Hi Shirley
I'm planning to walk during the same time period as you. Starting from SJPDP on August 21, after spending the night at Pension Corazon Puro (the owner picks up in Pamplona, then drives you to SJPDP in the morning)
As far as sleeping bag goes, I'm going to bring a silk liner and this 7 ounce down throw blanket from Montbell. It is tiny, just covers my body, but it's only as a back up, in case it's cold and the albergue has no blankets.

I don't do a lot of hiking, and when I do I usually just wear whatever sneakers I have around, but I thought that something a bit more sturdy would be good for walking 500 miles with a pack. After ordering and returning at least a dozen pair of trail running shoes I have settled on New Balance Vazee Summit. I like them because they are lightweight and breathable. I don't want waterproof because I've read that it makes your feet hot. Definitely don't want to make my feet hotter in August and September! I added Superfeet insoles to them, and so far I've done one 13 mile walk in them. I also have a pair of Ecco Offroad Sport Lite sandals. I wanted a pair of sandals that I can hike in, so that I can trade off footwear.

Hi Shirley
I combined trail runners, which were not waterproof with merino wool socks. Even when wet my feet
were warm enough 99% of the time. I did struggle on the days when I walked for hours in snow. I don't
think snow will be a problem for you in August / September.

Buen Camino

I was looking online a bit ago at a gortex boot that "pumped" out the hot air as you took steps! Interesting concept and I could have used that technology in 2014 when I felt like drilling holes in by Salomon boots! It didn't help boots were 1/2 size too small. In two hours will depart for Lisbon, and taking the same model - 1/2 size larger, oh, and a drill! :)
Janice

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was looking online a bit ago at a gortex boot that "pumped" out the hot air as you took steps! Interesting concept and I could have used that technology in 2014 when I felt like drilling holes in by Salomon boots! It didn't help boots were 1/2 size too small. In two hours will depart for Lisbon, and taking the same model - 1/2 size larger, oh, and a drill! :)
Janice
I use to use a small blade to make 2 holes in the side of the arch in my combat boots as it was 120 degrees in the dessert. If that is a thought when walking in July August I would suggest taking your boots to a shoe repair place to do it properly, too much dirt/sand gets in without the mesh buttons.

I walked the CF last August-September.
No need for a full size sleeping bag. Some sort of liner or packable quilt will work fine.
No need for any type of water-proof footwear. It's not cold, so if you feet get wet and you are wearing lightweight shoes, they dry quickly.
As far as footwear goes, trail runners are "sneakers". They are basically running shoes with a more aggressive tread for unimproved surfaces and inclines/declines. To me they are perfect footwear for the CF. It's not a trail hike. If there were no unimproved surfaces on the CF you could walk the whole thing wearing a good pair of regular running shoes.
I have tried trail runners and I know they are basically sneakers but they don't fit me correctly, my feet hurt after a couple of miles, etc. etc. Thanks for your response and info.

Hi Shirley
I'm planning to walk during the same time period as you. Starting from SJPDP on August 21, after spending the night at Pension Corazon Puro (the owner picks up in Pamplona, then drives you to SJPDP in the morning)
As far as sleeping bag goes, I'm going to bring a silk liner and this 7 ounce down throw blanket from Montbell. It is tiny, just covers my body, but it's only as a back up, in case it's cold and the albergue has no blankets.

I don't do a lot of hiking, and when I do I usually just wear whatever sneakers I have around, but I thought that something a bit more sturdy would be good for walking 500 miles with a pack. After ordering and returning at least a dozen pair of trail running shoes I have settled on New Balance Vazee Summit. I like them because they are lightweight and breathable. I don't want waterproof because I've read that it makes your feet hot. Definitely don't want to make my feet hotter in August and September! I added Superfeet insoles to them, and so far I've done one 13 mile walk in them. I also have a pair of Ecco Offroad Sport Lite sandals. I wanted a pair of sandals that I can hike in, so that I can trade off footwear.
I understand, I have tried waterproof hiking boots and was quite upset because the fit well and wore well but my feet were boiling and so I was boiling. It is April here in New England and the sweat was poring off me. I could not imagine August in Spain. I've been to Italy in August and I fear if I had those shoes I'd be passed out on the trail. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks, Shirley

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks,
Shirley
I have the same feeeling, the sneakers for running are my favourite choise and no shoes can compare its comfort with running shoes. I decided to go with running shoe with gtx. I tried reebok sawcut gtx, adidas canadia with gtx and end up buying salomon xcelerate gtx. I only wore them twice by now but for now i'm satisfied with waterproofness. Thw time will tell if it's the best choice or not.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back