• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment

Marietjie

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
Hello everybody, we just finish our two parts of the Camino- Pamplona to Los Arcos and then Ourense to Santiago. Wonderful! We experience just one very sad thing. After our hike, we went to Portugal, Ponte de Lima, Braga, Guimareas and then Lisbon. We post our bags, together with my brand new hiking sticks (poles) that I bought in Pamplona, via Correos in Santiago to Lisbon. Well, it never pitched up! We tried everything but, phone every possible number, even the Correos in Santiago, but without success. I can make peace with the loss of all the other stuff, but not my hiking poles, they were very special and you don't find it in South Africa. If there's anyone from SA walking the Camino from Pamlona, please write on the forum. I don't want you to bring the poles all the way, I can maybe only ask you to pay them in Caminoteca and they will send it to me. I will of course pay you first. I made contact with the Caminoteca and they made up the parcel already, but to transfer euros from SA via my bank double the costs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everybody, we just finish our two parts of the Camino- Pamplona to Los Arcos and then Ourense to Santiago. Wonderful! We experience just one very sad thing. After our hike, we went to Portugal, Ponte de Lima, Braga, Guimareas and then Lisbon. We post our bags, together with my brand new hiking sticks (poles) that I bought in Pamplona, via Correos in Santiago to Lisbon. Well, it never pitched up! We tried everything but, phone every possible number, even the Correos in Santiago, but without success. I can make peace with the loss of all the other stuff, but not my hiking poles, they were very special and you don't find it in South Africa. If there's anyone from SA walking the Camino from Pamlona, please write on the forum. I don't want you to bring the poles all the way, I can maybe only ask you to pay them in Caminoteca and they will send it to me. I will of course pay you first. I made contact with the Caminoteca and they made up the parcel already, but to transfer euros from SA via my bank double the costs.

Hi Marietjie, can you tell us the brand name and type of poles? Perhaps a link to their website? How will Caminoteca in Pamplona get them to you? By courier? Surely not by post, because that won’t work here either. (I am still waiting for an Amazon order that was supposed to arrive on 19 August!) I will be on the camino again early next year, although not in Pamplona, and can look for the same poles in another city, and bring them back to South Africa with me. I am nowhere near Cape Town (2,000kms away in Nelspruit!), but once they are here, we can make a plan.
Jill

Hi Jill
well couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your message! Yes, I know the brand. It is Altus Bonsai poles. Very light weight- blue and white. I will try to upload a photo. Anita in Caminoteca was actually ready to send it with the Correos in Pamplona and yes, I am a bit afraid that my sticks will get lost once again. To make use of a courier will be way to expensive and the whole transfer of money also to expensive and then there's import tax. Next year will be fine. Let's see what happens. Thanks for trying to help.

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Marietjie, yes, even if they do arrive in the post (but don’t hold your breath), you will be hit with vat and customs duty before they will be released.

I will be going through Madrid, Leon, Santiago, Vigo and Porto in March/April/May, so if others can help us source an outlet in any of those cities, I can easily get them for you, if I know where to go.

Alternatively, maybe Caminoteca could send them to Santiago and I could pick them up there? But I won’t be in Santiago until about the end of April.

I don’t usually use poles myself, but find them useful on the steep downhills (and trails like the Otter). So, happy to carry them with me, and test them out occasionally, until I hand them over!
Jill

Hi Marietjie, can you tell us the brand name and type of poles? Perhaps a link to their website? How will Caminoteca in Pamplona get them to you? By courier? Surely not by post, because that won’t work here either. (I am still waiting for an Amazon order that was supposed to arrive on 19 August!) I will be on the camino again early next year, although not in Pamplona, and can look for the same poles in another city, and bring them back to South Africa with me. I am nowhere near Cape Town (2,000kms away in Nelspruit!), but once they are here, we can make a plan.
Jill

Jill, that will work fantastic You can use it all the way, I don't mind. I am also sure that Caminoteca can send it to Santiago, but then you unfortunately will have to pay the postage as well as for the poles, how, I don't know. I can find out from Caminoteca. Ok, but there are still a few months left
Hi Marietjie, yes, even if they do arrive in the post (but don’t hold your breath), you will be hit with vat and customs duty before they will be released.

I will be going through Madrid, Leon, Santiago, Vigo and Porto in March/April/May, so if others can help us source an outlet in any of those cities, I can easily get them for you, if I know where to go.

Alternatively, maybe Caminoteca could send them to Santiago and I could pick them up there? But I won’t be in Santiago until about the end of April.

I don’t usually use poles myself, but find them useful on the steep downhills (and trails like the Otter). So, happy to carry them with me, and test them out occasionally, until I hand them over!
Jill
Jill, that will work fantastic You can use it all the way, I don't mind. I am also sure that Caminoteca can send it to Santiago, but then you unfortunately will have to pay the postage as well as for the poles, how, I don't know. I can find out from Caminoteca. But anyway, there are still a few months left and many things can happen in the meantime. Let's see what I can organise when the time comes. Thanks again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jill
Jill, what a special lady you are to offer such kind help to the OP! I hope something will work out!

Hi Marietjie, no problem, happy to help; it is hard enough for South Africans to even get to Spain and walk the camino, let alone buy good hiking poles.

The postage from Caminoteca to Santiago (maybe to Ivar? http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html) should not be too expensive.

Jill
That's true Jill and with our rand at the moment, any move to or in europe is expensive. Let's then talk again closer to your visit. I will in the meantime do my homework.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.