• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Esclavitude or Escravitude or Esclavitud or Escravitud

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The small town I passed though on the CP is Escravitude on Google Maps, but Esclavitude on the road sign as you enter and leave the town. Google gets the four above. One is Spanish, I suppose, and one is Galician, but which is which and what are the other two?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember that place, is this the same place?
Sanctuary of A Escravitude
Escravitude , PadrĂłn, 15980
Categories:Very close to Santiago, PadrĂłn, Churches / chapels
Tags:St James Way, Green surroundings, Monumental church, History, Very close to Santiago, Ancestral traditions, Odd Galicia
Very close to Santiago: PadrĂłn

The Sanctuary of A Escravitude is only 5 km from Padrón’s historic quarter, on the way to Santiago de Compostela. The church began to be built in the 16th century on the site of the so-called “Fonte Santa” (Holy Fountain), financed by donations of worshippers who visited the place due to the water’s healing properties. Its main elements are the central stairway, under which the fountain is housed, and the two large towers that border the central nave and date from the 19th century.

There is an interesting account about a miracle related to the Fonte Santa that may explain the sanctuary’s origin. According to the legend, a sick man that was doing the Way of St. James to cure his dropsy stopped there for a drink, and 72 hours later he had been cured without any medical help. On seeing that he had been healed, the man exclaimed: “Grazas, Virxe, que me libraches da escravitude do meu mal” (“Thanks, Virgin, for releasing me from the slavery of my ailment”).

A few metres from the sanctuary is the Foundation Paideia Botanic Garden, on the plot that used to belong to one of the church’s chaplains.

That's the one! Or it's one of them :)
It might seem that the Chinese are not the only ones who get r's and l's mixed up.
Escravitude is Galician, Esclavitud is Spanish, according to Google Translate.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember that place, is this the same place?
Sanctuary of A Escravitude
Escravitude , PadrĂłn, 15980
Categories:Very close to Santiago, PadrĂłn, Churches / chapels
Tags:St James Way, Green surroundings, Monumental church, History, Very close to Santiago, Ancestral traditions, Odd Galicia
Very close to Santiago: PadrĂłn

The Sanctuary of A Escravitude is only 5 km from Padrón’s historic quarter, on the way to Santiago de Compostela. The church began to be built in the 16th century on the site of the so-called “Fonte Santa” (Holy Fountain), financed by donations of worshippers who visited the place due to the water’s healing properties. Its main elements are the central stairway, under which the fountain is housed, and the two large towers that border the central nave and date from the 19th century.

There is an interesting account about a miracle related to the Fonte Santa that may explain the sanctuary’s origin. According to the legend, a sick man that was doing the Way of St. James to cure his dropsy stopped there for a drink, and 72 hours later he had been cured without any medical help. On seeing that he had been healed, the man exclaimed: “Grazas, Virxe, que me libraches da escravitude do meu mal” (“Thanks, Virgin, for releasing me from the slavery of my ailment”).

A few metres from the sanctuary is the Foundation Paideia Botanic Garden, on the plot that used to belong to one of the church’s chaplains.

There are a lot of "Fontes Santas" in Galicia with a a church near. I think that in most cases the fountain is previous to the church from preChristian times like that one in san Andres de Teixido . There must be some of them on the different caminos. As far as I know there isn´t any "Fonte Santa" in Santiago what could reveal that the site was not "holy" in preChristian times (this is only one speculation of mine).

Yes, it's common enough for the L to become an R when going from Spanish - Galician. For example, Spanish "playa" is "praia" in Galician. "E"s come and go as well. ;);)o_O

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Even Mr Brierley uses it both ways -- A Esclavitude on his Stage 23 map and A Escravitude in the text for that stage. Whichever way it's spelled, it is a nice stop for one's last night on the CP if you're willing to walk the extra 5.4 km past Padrón to shorten your last day's walk into Santiago by that amount. The Hotel Grande da Capellanía is a nice, clean and quiet place for a good night's sleep and an excellent in-house dinner. However, it's 3 km or so before you can get breakfast the next morning in A Picaraña.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back