• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Espelette pilgrim gite. Baztan route.

kayagee66

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Le Puy - Roncesvalles (2016)
Figeac - Cahors (2017)
Stevenson Trail (2018
Hi, has anyone any information on the gite de pelerins in Espelette? I know it was closed and maybe it was going to open in the spring. I have emailed the town hall but haven't had a reply yet.
Does anyone know of any other budget accommodation in or close to Espelette?
Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, has anyone any information on the gite de pelerins in Espelette? I know it was closed and maybe it was going to open in the spring. I have emailed the town hall but haven't had a reply yet.
Thanks.
I'm interested to know the answer! When I stayed in Espelette the albergue was closed on that day 'for bedbugs'. That was about 18m ago. I believe we heard since it was closing for some time. It is somehow in the care of the tourist office in the town which is in a sort of chateau. They gave me other phone numbers to try before I got there but I got no answer. I stayed in the hotel - they do a pilgrim rate demi pension. It wasn't cheap but it was lovely! Very friendly. But if I were going again I would try for the gite and use the money saved for an upgrade from the pilgrim meal which came with the deal. Baztan was an exceptionally beautiful route. Buen Camino.

Thanks. I've emailed the Hotel Euzkadi to ask the pilgrim price for 1 person in case the gîte is still shut. Going 2nd week in June.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks.

Hi @kayagee66, there was a post about this recently on the Voie du Baztan Facebook page. It seems that the gite is closed ‘for renovations’ until further notice. Apologies - I meant to put something on the forum, but I’m up to my eyes with a few other things at the moment.

If you’re on Facebook, I’d suggest checking out that page. There were a few other accommodation updates too. I’ll share them in the next few days.

Hope you enjoy the Baztan - it’s a gem!

Hi @kayagee66, there was a post about this recently on the Voie du Baztan Facebook page. It seems that the gite is closed ‘for renovations’ until further notice. Apologies - I meant to put something on the forum, but I’m up to my eyes with a few other things at the moment.

If you’re on Facebook, I’d suggest checking out that page. There were a few other accommodation updates too. I’ll share them in the next few days.

Hope you enjoy the Baztan - it’s a gem!
Great, thanks.

@kayagee66 , I can only second Tim's recommendation for the Hotel Euzkadi. We walked in like 5 drowned rats, our raingear dripping on the immacualte floor - but were received with so much kindness.
There is also a gite in nearby Souride, if the hotel is over your budget.
(You've likely seen them but Nuala's detailed Baztan notes are excellent, by the way.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks.
Hi,
The gîte municipal de pèlerins in Espelette is closed but there is a private gîte : Mr Le Sauce tel +33 6 71 05 20 04 for booking. There are 10 Beds price is 25 night and breakfast.
This way is very nice !

Hi,
The gîte municipal de pèlerins in Espelette is closed but there is a private gîte : Mr Le Sauce tel +33 6 71 05 20 04 for booking. There are 10 Beds price is 25 night and breakfast.
This way is very nice !
Thanks. I had a reply from the town hall today, they advised i try Mr Le Sauce. I don't suppose you know if he speaks English? If not i'll just try my best to be understood. I should be able to muddle through if i write down some phrases before i call.

@kayagee66 , I can only second Tim's recommendation for the Hotel Euzkadi. We walked in like 5 drowned rats, our raingear dripping on the immacualte floor - but were received with so much kindness.
There is also a gite in nearby Souride, if the hotel is over your budget.
(You've likely seen them but Nuala's detailed Baztan notes are excellent, by the way.)
Thanks. Yes i have read Nuala's posts, very helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks.

Hi again @kayagee66, hope your planning is going well! Just to let you know, I've posted some accommodation updates here.

Hi again @kayagee66, hope your planning is going well! Just to let you know, I've posted some accommodation updates here.
Thanks.
I emailed Hotel Euzkadi and they said the price is still the same as when you stayed, €50 bed, evening meal, breakfast. They have a bed available on the day i want so i've asked for a reservation.
When you go to their website there is nothing about a pilgrim rate (unless i just couldn't find it)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks.
I emailed Hotel Euzkadi and they said the price is still the same as when you stayed, €50 bed, evening meal, breakfast. They have a bed available on the day i want so i've asked for a reservation.
When you go to their website there is nothing about a pilgrim rate (unless i just couldn't find it)
I didn't know about the discount until @timr mentioned it following his Camino. Damian and I stayed in the gîte in 2016. We (the '5 peregrina' group) planned to do the same last year, but when we arrived in Esplette soaked to the skin, we asked at reception and were delighted to avail of their warm hospitality. It was especially good to be able to dry out our shoes and waterproofs. A lovely memory.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back