• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Esprit du Chemin in SJPdP

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Just a reminder to everyone interested in staying there. It opened for bookings yesterday. So I finally had something to do, having booked my flight on May 10th some time ago! I would point out that I have no association with them other than as a contented customer from last May and am only mentioning this for information to first timers who will no doubt have seen the place mentioned elsewhere on this forum. They should note that it books up quite quickly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I liked look of the Esprit du Chemin but expect to get to SJPdP about 20:00 too late for their dinner.

Since their web site suggest they only want people who take dinner I had to book elsewhere.

When I was there last year someone arrived half way through and joined in then. They were made welcome by the Hospitaleros. I had actually met her at the airport when she was asking for change for the bus as she only had high denomination notes. I and others were booked on a taxi which had a spare seat, but the driver said that to keep things congenial with the local Taxis they had agreed not to take anyone not pre-booked.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for that Al, I have since booked Auberge du Pelerin in the same area.

Stayed here with my son last September. It was a wonderful way to start a camino. They embodied the essence of what the camino was all about for me. Great leak soup also.

I stayed à l'Esprit-du-Chemin in 2007.
2 days.
The best reception I had in 2 monthes pilgrimage.
The only albergue where the bed was decorated with a small gift at my name.
Huberta and Arno are still there.
I don't know when and where I will start my next Camino.
But I will stay there again.
Sure.

See you again Huberta and Arno.
Thanks for what you are and what you are doing...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I loved this place.
They were clean, kind, and served a wonderful dinner and breakfast.
They even packed me a lunch.

My only complaint is that on my first Camino, I had made reservations at Orisson for my second night.
The man pooh-poohed my stopping and convinced me to "carry on" all the way to Roncesvalles.
"It's easy!" he said. "You can do it with no problem!"
Well, maybe for him, but it almost broke me.
I cried all the way down that hill, each step was torture.
I'm sure I took his name in vain more than once.
In retrospect, it almost ruined my first Camino and took me several days to recover.

So my suggestion is that if you have made plans to stop, don't let someone talk you out of it.
It isn't called "hell-day" for no reason.
If you are not in the BEST of shape, take that stretch in two days.

Otherwise, a GREAT albergue!

Just a reminder to everyone interested in staying there. It opened for bookings yesterday. So I finally had something to do, having booked my flight on May 10th some time ago! I would point out that I have no association with them other than as a contented customer from last May and am only mentioning this for information to first timers who will no doubt have seen the place mentioned elsewhere on this forum. They should note that it books up quite quickly.
Thank you, Al for the reminder! I just sent in my request for September 18.

i

I have also sent through a booking [for Saturday, 19th April] and wait to hear the final confirmation of a place. I noticed that on the booking calendars, all Sundays are unavailable. On their website, L'Espirit mentions that unlike in Spain, one can stay at their 'albergue' for 2 nights. I wanted to stay Saturday and Sunday, but as Sunday is unavailable, now seek a night somewhere else for Sunday. My question is this: Can I stay at 2 different 'albergues' in St Jean on 2 consecutive nights, [using L'Espirit on the first], or do I have to use private accommodation for the second night?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Al. Wouldn't you know it, we want to arrive on Sunday!

I stayed here fro two nights April 2 & 3 2013. I arrived after 36 hours of travel and I was going to be late. A lovely email from them said that they would keep dinner for me. A lovely gesture. I arrived just as they were doing the introductions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because everyone speaks so highly of this place I decided we would do a bit of a rush and make it there by Saturday....but no, it's all booked up already! Maybe we'll be able to nab the few places they keep for late walk-ins....and if not, we'll go elsewhere;-)

Thanks Al. Wouldn't you know it, we want to arrive on Sunday!

My understanding is that the hostal is not closed as such on Sundays, rather that one can't book for a Sunday. This allows the owners to take a break if they need to. If you are there and it is open, then you can stay Sunday. This information may not be helpful if you are wanting to book thus be assured of a place, however if you arrive early, there would be places at the Municipal hostal [and one could always check to see if L'Espirit was open. Or give them a call to check once on your way there.]

They always put the number of beds which are still available on their front door, so you can know right away.
Every day they make a new dinner, also depending on the people who work there. I know one day a pilgrim who was a professional cook slept there who talked full of passion about his wish to open a restaurant on the camino. They let him cook that night. Usually the food is very good, that night it was more then spendid!
I love leek soup, didn't get it there! :cool:

It is indeed a place put up with a lot of care and love for the camino and for pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you get the bus to Aire sur L'Adour from Biarritz on the Le Put camino and walk for the 3 days prior to STJPdP there will be a bed.
I believe they always keep beds for the pilgrims who have started the many km's into france.
It is wonderful for getting over jet lag, having the great basque meals [ they go down hill once in Spain , even still basque country] and a great warm up for the crossing of the mountain without the need to stop at Orrison.

And if the rain is in town , the mist is down then there is nothing wrong whatsoever going via Valcarlos.
They are wonderful hosts and also have great helpers.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In Saint-Jean the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Their volunteers help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle, but they do NOT take reservations.

just to let you know they don't take bookings for Sundays this year

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back