• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Esprit du Chemin (St Jean) albergue info

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
A local pilgrim contacted me because she had sent a couple of emails to Esprit du Chemin to book a bed but has not had a repsonse. Their website asks that you check their calendar under the Reservations section before mailing them in case the day is already 'complet'. I checked her day and the albergue is full so she probably won't get a reply. (The 1st to 4th August is full and many of the weekend days are also full.)
If you are hoping to stay there, check the calendar first and if your day is Complet, there is a short list of alternate places to stay on the page.

And, don't forget, they close at the end of September.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
L'esprit du Chemin is in business, period!!!

They have no interest in pilgrims other than the money they bring in. No money, no talky!

My wife couldn't get a reservation for the end of August on account that she was arriving after dinner and hence they wouldn't get the revenue for the meal. They stated that they would rather wait for someone to reserve both bed and meal and that at that time of the year there were plenty.

I don't blame them! but please stop ''advertising'' this place as if it was god sent.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are several reasons why they didn't accept her booking. One of them was probably money, but that doesn't mean they're money-grubbers. I stayed there 2 years ago, & after dinner, we went upstairs & went to sleep. If you wife is arriving well after that time, letting her in would disrupt everyone else's sleep, since there are no private rooms. They also want you there for dinner so you can meet other pilgrims & bond with them before setting off the next day.

Kelly

Joe and I absolutely LOVED Espirit du Chemin!
The people who ran it were hardworking, kind, helpful, and supportive!
The family-style dinner they prepared for us was scrumptious!
The after-dinner conversation was interesting and helpful.
The beds were clean and inviting, with a gift on each one.
The rooms were spacious and clean.
The garden area was peaceful and beautiful.
The ambiance was perfect for reflection on the days ahead.
The washing station even had a machine that spun your clothes dry!
(we did see those here and there on the Camino - GREAT inventions!)
The curfew was appreciated, giving the pilgrims a wonderful undisturbed night's sleep so they would be ready to conquer the Pyranees.
The lunch the staff prepared for our first day's walk was large and filling.
It was quite affordable and worth every penny we paid!

I have nothing but high PRAISE for Espirit du Chemin and it's staff!

Canuck said:
... They stated that they would rather wait for someone to reserve both bed and meal and that at that time of the year there were plenty.

I don't blame them! ...

Kelly,
As per previous post, they themselves stated they'd rather wait for a more beneficial customer.
And, the time of arrival was not that late. It's just that it was after dinner.

For the others,
I never said anything derogatory on the quality of the service or the hospitality. Indeed, we tried to make a reservation there. Surely, they take good care of the ''paying'' customers, after all they're in business.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back