• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Essential Camino Spanish?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@CaminoJoy123 I just completed 2 semesters of beginning Spanish at the local state college. Here is a hyperlink to my quizlets which include some camino vocabulary: https://quizlet.com/linkster3. Feel free to copy and modify sets. I find it useful to "play" the flash cards on the first pass. Then, I will use the learn function with "audio on" (see options).

Buena Suerte

Kindle finally downloaded!

So the text to speech function looks valuable for this book. What have people said about that?

@CaminoJoy123. I downloaded this book recently and don't see any text to speech feature. Do you have an audio version? That would be helpful. I love all the Camino apps, maps and books. I like to use my phone for a camera and blogger and phone, too. I wonder about the battery usage for all these functions. Last year I was able to charge frequently enough and used an external power battery occasionally, but it seems I'm getting close to max on one device to save weight and space and money. Oh, maybe not money! Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Spend a little cash and get the Audio lessons from Michel Thomas -well worth it. Informal and really easy to use and quickly helps you improve your Spanish. Bite-size lessons with no homework! Great for total beginners with additional courses for Intermediate level improvers. (No, I'm not on the pay-roll - just a big fan of the series :))

Thanks! That sounds great but downloading kindle to my iPhone has never worked. What about something in PDF ?
Do you have the free Kindle app? I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and it works great. Plus, I also have the Nook app, and it works equally as well if you prefer books in that e-format. (Books published in one app are not compatible with those published in the other.)

Do you have the free Kindle app? I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and it works great. Plus, I also have the Nook app, and it works equally as well if you prefer books in that e-format. (Books published in one app are not compatible with those published in the other.)

I was finally able to download the kindle app via the App Store. I also purchased the book.

I don't have nook.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spend a little cash and get the Audio lessons from Michel Thomas -well worth it. Informal and really easy to use and quickly helps you improve your Spanish. Bite-size lessons with no homework! Great for total beginners with additional courses for Intermediate level improvers. (No, I'm not on the pay-roll - just a big fan of the series :))

Agreed. Michel Thomas is great. So is pinsleur.

Is there a quick guide to essential Spanish for pilgrims?

Replying to my own post to ask a few more questions. I have the book

I can't find these phrases in the book, perhaps people can translate. Also please indicate the correct stress for all the syllables.

Yellow arrows
Have you seen a yellow arrow?

Up
Down
We go up the steps.
We go down the steps.

We are walking uphill (ascending).
We are walking downhill (descending)
Steep/flat
The path is steep.
The path is flat.

Rock. Stone. Mud.
How many kilometers to the next town?
How many days have you been walking?

We are walking.
We are leaving now.
We are leaving soon.
We are leaving later.

What time did you wake up?
What time did you go to sleep?
How did you sleep?
How do you feel?

What time does the restaurant serve meals?

What time does the albergue open?
What time does the albergue close its doors?

Where is the tourist office?

Is this water potable?

Hot/cold
I am hot. I am cold.
The water is hot.
The water is cold.
It will be hot today.
It will be cold today.

It's sunny now, but willl be cloudy later.

Wet/dry
My clothes are wet. My clothes are dry.

Left/right
My left knee hurts. My right knee hurts
Go left. Go right.
This thing is to the left of that thing.

Blocks.
Go theee blocks, then turn right.

Upper bunk/lower bunk
May I have an upper bunk.
May I have a lower bunk.

The laundry machine is broken.
The vending machine is not working
The machine ate my money.

Is the shower free?
Is the toilet free?
Is it occupied?

Headlamp.
Do you need more light?

Where can we charge our phones?
Where is the power outlet?

Replying to my own post to ask a few more questions. I have the book

I can't find these phrases in the book, perhaps people can translate. Also please indicate the correct stress for all the syllables.

Yellow arrows
Have you seen a yellow arrow?

Up
Down
We go up the steps.
We go down the steps.

We are walking uphill (ascending).
We are walking downhill (descending)
Steep/flat
The path is steep.
The path is flat.

Rock. Stone. Mud.
How many kilometers to the next town?
How many days have you been walking?

We are walking.
We are leaving now.
We are leaving soon.
We are leaving later.

What time did you wake up?
What time did you go to sleep?
How did you sleep?
How do you feel?

What time does the restaurant serve meals?

What time does the albergue open?
What time does the albergue close its doors?

Where is the tourist office?

Is this water potable?

Hot/cold
I am hot. I am cold.
The water is hot.
The water is cold.
It will be hot today.
It will be cold today.

It's sunny now, but willl be cloudy later.

Wet/dry
My clothes are wet. My clothes are dry.

Left/right
My left knee hurts. My right knee hurts
Go left. Go right.
This thing is to the left of that thing.

Blocks.
Go theee blocks, then turn right.

Upper bunk/lower bunk
May I have an upper bunk.
May I have a lower bunk.

The laundry machine is broken.
The vending machine is not working
The machine ate my money.

Is the shower free?
Is the toilet free?
Is it occupied?

Headlamp.
Do you need more light?

Where can we charge our phones?
Where is the power outlet?

More things people say on Camino.

Where is the light switch?!

Do you want the window open or shut?
Do you want the shutters closed or open?

I will use this outlet for one hour to charge my stuff, then we can switch, and you can use the outlet.

You have used the outlet for three hours. May we switch now, so I can charge my electronics?

The phone does not need to be plugged into the outlet for the entire night.

Excuse me, you are making too much noise.
It's after hours. This is the quiet period.

Excuse me, sir, you need to sleep on your side. You are snoring very loudly. (A Spanish girl actually said that to a snoring German man, using English. )

May I put this in the refrigerator?
May we cook here?

Would you like to split this four-pack of yogurt?
Would you like half the bread?
We can split the cost.
I will pay.
I don't want to waste it.
I don't want to throw it away.

Are we permitted to eat here?

May I dry my clothes here?
May I set up a laundry line here?
May I hang my clothes to dry here?

You may not dry clothes there.
You may not wash clothes there.

Is the bathroom for men, women, or shared?
Is the shower for all genders at the same time?

Ring the buzzer for access.
Where is the buzzer?

I'm lost.
Where are we?
Do you know they way?
What is the way out of town?
Is this the Camino de Santiago?

Is this yours?
It's not mine.
Whose is it?

Did you forget your hiking sticks?
Did you remember your walking poles?
Did you lose your hat?
Did you find your phone charger?

The wind blew it away.
I left it at the restaurant.

May I borrow this?
I will return it.

Where can I buy hand gel, or sanitizer?
Do you sell flip flops?

Which is better?
This is better than that.

Is there a sporting goods store nearby?

They said I need three days rest.

Are you ready?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

That's a good thread, thanks for digging it up.

Yes the best thing to do to learn is berlitz, pimsleur, and Michel Thomas. The madrigal guide is good for visual learners. Of course starting early and being relaxed about your learning is key.

If you can at least count, you can do a lot. It transfers to knowing your flight number and confirmation number, telling time, understanding a bus schedule, grasping the hours a business is open, or measuring kilometers, or tracking prices in euros, knowing people's age, knowing your bed number, how many days you've been on Camino, and it's a huge boost to the confidence. Numbers are used many times every day.

It would be very cool to crowd source some practical questions and their translations. I started a list of questions that I could not find in the book, but hear people discuss all the time.

The possibilities that occur with directions in cities is amazing.

If only Google or Microsoft would put together an app that translated phrases between languages.

Even better if you could take photos of menus and signs and have those translated too!

You may say I'm a dreamer . . . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If only Google or Microsoft would put together an app that translated phrases between languages.

Even better if you could take photos of menus and signs and have those translated too!

I use google translate quite a bit! Works for short phrases.

Also I have been looking thru the book more and located several phrases I couldn't previously find.

@CaminoJoy123 LOL!
plaster, blister,
spin dryer, tumble dryer
blanket, mattress, pillow and bedbug
glass, can, shot, tumbler

(sounds like an ee cummings poem)

plus these Spanish cultural staples must be deployed at every opportunity
No pasa nada, todo va bien, no te preocupes
Momentito

But I'm not the only one . . .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Una cerveza por favor, which gets you a beer, repeat twelve times if you need a dozen

Yes, I agree. I used Duolingo for awhile but have found the Michel Thomas audio package to be quite helpful. I will know for sure when I leave in two weeks to begin!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I got the suggested book Camino Lingo and it covers lots of useful basics but misses obvious stuff like:
Can I have a bed here for tonight?
I can think of many ways to ask this question in English. Can anyone help with a simple commonly used Spanish translation? I don’t want to end up buying a bed :)

Can I have a bed here for tonight?
I can think of many ways to ask this question in English. Can anyone help with a simple commonly used Spanish translation? I don’t want to end up buying a bed :)

Well, albergues rarely sell their beds as they will need them the following days also ;-) I normally ask:

?Queda una cama libre? (Is there still a/one free bed?

or, more simple:

Necesito una cama, por favor.

But albergue people know what the pilgrim wants/needs, so don't worry too much!

BC SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
¿Hay disponible una cama para esta noche? Is a bed available for tonight?
¿Puedo tener una cama para esta noche? Can I have a bed for tonight?
Necesito una cama para esta noche. I need a bed for tonight.

Well, albergues rarely sell their beds as they will need them the following days also ;-) I normally ask:

?Queda una cama libre? (Is there still a/one free bed?

or, more simple:

Necesito una cama, por favor.

But albergue people know what the pilgrim wants/needs, so don't worry too much!

BC SY
Thanks. I’m not worried, just like to get my limited Spanish right.

¿Hay disponible una cama para esta noche? Is a bed available for tonight?
¿Puedo tener una cama para esta noche? Can I have a bed for tonight?
Necesito una cama para esta noche. I need a bed for tonight.
Thank you, appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Dadhairday I took the Basic Dictionary for Hospitaleros, added additional vocabulary, and the SPA phonetic spelling from spanishdict.com. The first hyperlink is to a PDF version of the document. The second hyperlink is to the associated Quizlets (flashcards). You may want to try the flashcards in play mode ... you can watch and listen as they advance through the deck. The registration set contains a sample dialog of checking into an albergue.

PDF - Basic Dictionary for Hospitaleros

Quizlet - Basic Dictionary for Hospitaleros

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D:cool:

@Dadhairday I took the Basic Dictionary for Hospitaleros, added additional vocabulary, and the SPA phonetic spelling from spanishdict.com. The first hyperlink is to a PDF version of the document. The second hyperlink is to the associated Quizlets (flashcards). You may want to try the flashcards in play mode ... you can watch and listen as they advance through the deck. The registration set contains a sample dialog of checking into an albergue.

Excellent job!

Very helpful, thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back