• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ESSENTIAL Equipment for the Budget Concious Pilgrim?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23

If you're on a tight budget, you might want one of these! ;)

In fact, it may become an essential piece of Pilgrim gear!

(Note....for those who take things too literally. This is not a 100% serious suggestion). ;)

Cheap meals.........easily cooked in any overnight stop that has power.....

The 'Back Story'.

Now some of you will know, that during the planning phase for my first Camino, that I was concerned about food options along the way.

As my wife is Thai, like most Thai people, she likes a good helping of freshly cooked rice each day. If you have not been brought up on a diet of bread, potatoes and/or pasta it can be difficult at times ......

So I thought about taking a mini rice cooker! :oops:

And no one actually made fun of me at the time (though they do now), which is wonderful evidence of how good natured and kind the members of this forum are :)

In the end, I walked on my own minus Rice Cooker.....

For my next Camino, my wife will be coming with me (she couldn't make it last time) and so that she doesn't stress about getting hi energy foods that will keep her going.........I just bought this. :eek:

Available on eBay for as little as $35 ............... Only weighs 1.1 kg. Just imagine. Freshly cooked food, with minimal preparation required, in 30 to 40 minutes.

What budget conscious Pilgrim would be without one? :rolleyes:

I can see it now. The rush for power points in the Albergue will not be for re-charging phones, but plugging in the Rice Cookers!

Rice Cooker 2s.png

Rice Cooker 3s.png Rice Cooker 4s.png
Rice Cooker 5s.png Rice Cooker 1s.png

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you have a packhorse with you or did you Just use a 60 liter pack? That looks huge what are the measurements? My army canteen cup has been my cooking device for many years oatmeal with lots of raisins. Thank goodness there are options for cooking along the way it's quite civilized when you can find markets, banos, & a real bed to sleep on. Some don't call the bunks that are in Albergues a real bed but it beats the dirt.

Did you have a packhorse with you or did you Just use a 60 liter pack? That looks huge what are the measurements? My army canteen cup has been my cooking device for many years oatmeal with lots of raisins. Thank goodness there are options for cooking along the way it's quite civilized when you can find markets, banos, & a real bed to sleep on. Some don't call the bunks that are in Albergues a real bed but it beats the dirt.

It is a rather 'tongue in cheek' post, but ........

I have actually bought one to take on our next Camino.:eek:

It's probably twice the size of an Army Canteen cup. (I hope). Still waiting for it to arrive.

About 200 mm high and 150mm wide by all accounts....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But why?
Many Albergues have cooking equipment. Others feed you. And if not, the picnic options are plentiful.

Nope.
I'll take tapas.
But enjoy!

But why?
Many Albergues have cooking equipment. Others feed you. And if not, the picnic options are plentiful.

Nope.
I'll take tapas.
But enjoy!
Robo touches on an issue of low funds there are not many ways to go as inexpensive as one must, cooking your own food & staying in alburgues is about the only way unless you pack a tent & wash in streams. From my experience most folks walking do not have that concern. But I did meet folks walking that did. So I think anyone who can share the cheapest camino way as we do with the smallest backpack let's hear them!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is a rather 'tongue in cheek' post, but ........

I have actually bought one to take on our next Camino.:eek:

It's probably twice the size of an Army Canteen cup. (I hope). Still waiting for it to arrive.

About 200 mm high and 150mm wide by all accounts....

OKayyyy... you are going to need one of these: Carrix Trolley and Backpack. Actually, I have seen quite a few in action, including one on the Camino. My husband and I are seriously considering one in our 10 year future backpacking plan.

OKayyyy... you are going to need one of these: Carrix Trolley and Backpack. Actually, I have seen quite a few in action, including one on the Camino. My husband and I are seriously considering one in our 10 year future backpacking plan.

That looks really cool. I saw a couple of people using them.

But the rice cooker is very small :)

Very cool, Robo, but does it make good rice?o_O
That will be the test!;)
(Many people staying in Xunta albergues in Galicia would probably be very eager to borrow (but not carry!) such an appliance.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very cool, Robo, but does it make good rice?o_O
That will be the test!;)
(Many people staying in Xunta albergues in Galicia would probably be very eager to borrow (but not carry!) such an appliance.)

We'll conduct a 'road test' once it arrives and give a full report :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We'll conduct a 'road test' once it arrives and give a full report :)

Robo

I can imagine your wife cooking a Thai curry on camino ......your have plenty of potential pilgrims lurking around the donativo rice cooker....debating which rice she is using perhaps. which rice will you be using..............spoilt for choice it seems.

1. 40,000 varieties

There are more than 40,000 varieties of cultivated rice (the grass species Oryza sativa) said to exist. But the exact figure is uncertain. Over 90,000 samples of cultivated rice and wild species are stored at the International Rice Gene Bank and these are used by researchers all over the world.
    Varieties - Rice Association - The Rice Association
    www.riceassociation.org.uk/content/1/10/varieties.html

I have 2 rice cookers. A 10 cup and a 3 cup. Both are Nationals from Uwajimaya in Seattle (and are both at least 25 years old!!). I use the 3 cup more often as it makes 2 nice sized servings. None of the new fangled electronics that the Zojirushi or Panasonics now have so it weighs very very little. I have not hiked with the 3 cup but have taken it on vacations!!

OKayyyy... you are going to need one of these: Carrix Trolley and Backpack...
I saw a few people using similar devices on the Camino -- some similar to the one you reference with one wheel, some with two wheels, and some that were pushed rather than pulled. Such devices may be fine on smooth, level trail surfaces, but most of those that I saw were struggling and cursing as they hauled them up and wrestled them down the steep, rocky slopes that are common on the Camino. I see two problems with that particular trolley: 1) the wheel is too small to negotiate anything other than a very smooth trail surface, and 2) the load is placed above the center of gravity, making it easier to tip sideways, especially on rocky or muddy trails. I recommend you try before you buy, making sure to test drive it fully loaded on steep, uneven surfaces. I would hate to see you invest in something that would become a expensive burden that you'd end up abandoning along the Camino. I didn't see a price on the manufacturer's website, but I suspect you'd be better off in the long run to just have your backpacks transported each day if you are unable to carry them yourselves (don't forget to include the cost of getting the trolley from Australia to Spain and back in that equation).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Too funny. I hope I run into you, since I will be on my Camino at the same time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Robo: Not only economical, but you could make money selling those steamed eggs every morning! (Tongue in cheek ...I got it!). But seriously, as a daughter of a Japanese mother, I know how important that rice is to your wife. What a wonderful supportive husband to understand her needs, take the effort to research a solution and... most importantly, add the extra kilos to your pack. You get my vote for husband of the year!

Robo

I can imagine your wife cooking a Thai curry on camino ......your have plenty of potential pilgrims lurking around the donativo rice cooker....debating which rice she is using perhaps. which rice will you be using..............spoilt for choice it seems.

1. 40,000 varieties

There are more than 40,000 varieties of cultivated rice (the grass species Oryza sativa) said to exist. But the exact figure is uncertain. Over 90,000 samples of cultivated rice and wild species are stored at the International Rice Gene Bank and these are used by researchers all over the world.
    Varieties - Rice Association - The Rice Association
    www.riceassociation.org.uk/content/1/10/varieties.html

Before I married Pat, I thought Rice was just Rice.

At the last count.....in our larder.....we have 8 different types of Rice at least! Thai Jasmine, Basmati, Black, Red, Brown, Japanese, Italian and Glutinous :)

The one going on Camino, will be the 'staple'. Thai Jasmine ;)

Before I married Pat, I thought Rice was just Rice.

At the last count.....in our larder.....we have 8 different types of Rice at least! Thai Jasmine, Basmati, Black, Red, Brown, Japanese, Italian and Glutinous :)

The one going on Camino, will be the 'staple'. Thai Jasmine ;)
Having lived in Hawaii for 19 years, I know exactly what you mean. We always have at least six of those on hand as well. And our "everyday" rice is also Thai Jasmine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I saw a few people using similar devices on the Camino -- some similar to the one you reference with one wheel, some with two wheels, and some that were pushed rather than pulled. Such devices may be fine on smooth, level trail surfaces, but most of those that I saw were struggling and cursing as they hauled them up and wrestled them down the steep, rocky slopes that are common on the Camino. I see two problems with that particular trolley: 1) the wheel is too small to negotiate anything other than a very smooth trail surface, and 2) the load is placed above the center of gravity, making it easier to tip sideways, especially on rocky or muddy trails. I recommend you try before you buy, making sure to test drive it fully loaded on steep, uneven surfaces. I would hate to see you invest in something that would become a expensive burden that you'd end up abandoning along the Camino. I didn't see a price on the manufacturer's website, but I suspect you'd be better off in the long run to just have your backpacks transported each day if you are unable to carry them yourselves (don't forget to include the cost of getting the trolley from Australia to Spain and back in that equation).
As always not for everyone but I have seen these used on rough and remote tracks in Australia. One version (there are many with various numbers of wheels) converts into a backpack so can be carried if required. Given that we saw very young children in prams all along the Camino, some even from SJPP, it's amazing what and who make the journey.
It's just another option for walkers to consider. I will certainly be track testing one next year.
Disclosure: I have no connection or affiliation to any manufacturer or retailer. I'm just a long distance, longtime trekker that tries out everything and goes with what suits at any particular time.

WHAT! No Pudding Rice??
;)

Biff

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
WHAT! No Pudding Rice??
;)

Biff

Never tried that in a Rice Cooker, but I'm sure it can be done :)

Chicken Rice. Use Chicken Stock instead of water.... Yum :)

Sweet Sticky Rice (Glutinous Rice) with Fresh Mango ....... Yum :)

Very versatile food is Rice LOL.
Of course the same could be said for other 'staples' like Potatoes, Bread, Pasta.......... No not Pasta. Sorry Italy. That always tastes the same. Just different shapes and sauces. You're not fooling anyone! ;)

Enough with the rice varieties I am now getting withdrawal symptoms. Thankfully I will be home on Wednesday so can resume my NORMAL omnivore diet. No offence to Spain but bocadilla just does not cut it, day-in, day- out!

If Robo wants to pack this device to make the trip better for his wife then good for him. I honor him for it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, I have to ask. What is wrong with cooking rice on the stove, and using the rice found in Spanish shops? Lots of rice is used in Spanish cooking.

This is wonderful, Rob! Ha ha! Please can you give us the link to the model you show? I'd like to get one myself.

Leaving the weight/carrying issue aside, apart from Thai food it would be useful for those budget walkers with gluten intolerance or needing low GI carbs (Basmati rice is OK!). It boils eggs for those who need a morning protein fix or can't down bread rolls. I've been wondering how I'd manage these issues if I ever get to the Camino. Maybe your wife could provide us with foolproof meal recipes?

It will also make a brilliant one-gadget cooker for my daughter's uni student residence room!!

This is wonderful, Rob! Ha ha! Please can you give us the link to the model you show? I'd like to get one myself.

Leaving the weight/carrying issue aside, apart from Thai food it would be useful for those budget walkers with gluten intolerance or needing low GI carbs (Basmati rice is OK!). It boils eggs for those who need a morning protein fix or can't down bread rolls. I've been wondering how I'd manage these issues if I ever get to the Camino. Maybe your wife could provide us with foolproof meal recipes?

It will also make a brilliant one-gadget cooker for my daughter's uni student residence room!!
Can't you boil eggs in a sauce pan?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, I have to ask. What is wrong with cooking rice on the stove, and using the rice found in Spanish shops? Lots of rice is used in Spanish cooking.

Nothing wrong with either......

But only one answer I think......If you have ever used a Rice Cooker you would appreciate the difference.......and the same with Thai Jasmine Rice :)

Perfect rice every time.......and the nicest tasting rice ;)

Oh, and as we stay in CRs, we don't have access to a stove....

(Steamed rice is a much nicer taste than 'boiled' rice. A bit like boiling cabbage in a pot, versus cooking in a microwave. By comparison the boiled version is limp and tasteless)

Last edited:

If you just look for small rice cooker on ebay there are loads of different versions. Because I'm going to carry it, I picked the smallest / lightest version. But that might not be the best option for long term use in a dorm room. There will be other more robust models.

When this one arrives I'll try it out and let you know if it's any good.

I've found that the difference with Rice Cookers, and yes we own a few (4 at the last count) is really around the quality of manufacturing. Most do a similar job. They steam rice!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nothing wrong with either......

But only one answer I think......If you have ever used a Rice Cooker you would appreciate the difference.......and the same with Thai Jasmine Rice :)

Perfect rice every time.......and the nicest tasting rice ;)

Oh, and as we stay in CRs, we don't have access to a stove....

(Steamed rice is a much nicer taste than 'boiled' rice. A bit like boiling cabbage in a pot, versus cooking in a microwave. By comparison the boiled version is limp and tasteless)
I own one and use it at home, and love it because it's easy to clean, rice doesn't stick to the bottom and water doesn't boil over the rim, but I can still make rice without one, on the stove or microwave. Now, are you sure the Casa rurales will be happy to have cooking in your room? I am being Mary quite contrary but insurance comes to mind, electricity, not paying them for a meal, the smell in neighbouring rooms, rice left in the sink after cleaning... Ok, I'm done, promised. Just let us know how it goes. I seem to recall something else before your first Camino you didn't agree with the forum on. Oh p, wait, was it that you would want to walk it again? (Trying to type a smily face the the ipad won't let me ) ;0)

I own one and use it at home, and love it because it's easy to clean, rice doesn't stick to the bottom and water doesn't boil over the rim, but I can still make rice without one, on the stove or microwave. Now, are you sure the Casa rurales will be happy to have cooking in your room? I am being Mary quite contrary but insurance comes to mind, electricity, not paying them for a meal, the smell in neighbouring rooms, rice left in the sink after cleaning... Ok, I'm done, promised. Just let us know how it goes. I seem to recall something else before your first Camino you didn't agree with the forum on. Oh p, wait, was it that you would want to walk it again? (Trying to type a smily face the the ipad won't let me ) ;0)

All fair points. ;) We only plan on using the Rice Cooker to prepare a daily bag of rice that she can carry as her 'carbs'. (just a backup) There's no way I would want to cook 'meals' and miss out on the local food! Not really being a bread, potato, pasta eater, it will just give her another option. Or a bag of rice and a boiled egg to carry in her bag etc etc. The rice cooker is really no more 'cooking' than using an electric coil, and probably a lot safer.

I suspect, once she gets 'into' the local food, it may get discarded anyway ;)

Can't you boil eggs in a sauce pan?

As Rob says below - you can if you have a saucepan. I haven't been on Camino yet so I have little idea of what is generally available. For my daughter's non-Camino use - she has no hot plate in her student room (Canberra, Australia) but could plug in the rice cooker. And it's versatile! Can boil eggs, make stew, heat up a cup of milk, steam veggies etc!

I am also trying to persuade my husband to go on Camino with me but he's a reluctant walker though a keen photographer. His proposal is that he comes along to take photos and sends his bags on ahead. If that happens the cooker could go with his bags. Mind you, his photography equipment weighs at least 5 kg. He has no idea! LOL!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you just look for small rice cooker on ebay there are loads of different versions. Because I'm going to carry it, I picked the smallest / lightest version. But that might not be the best option for long term use in a dorm room. There will be other more robust models.

When this one arrives I'll try it out and let you know if it's any good.

I've found that the difference with Rice Cookers, and yes we own a few (4 at the last count) is really around the quality of manufacturing. Most do a similar job. They steam rice!

We were quite unaware such versatile rice cookers existed!! We just were familiar with the usual Aussie rice cookers that cook several cups of rice and nothing else. What appeals in your example for one person in a dorm room is all the other things that it can do! I look forward to your review!

Robo

I can imagine your wife cooking a Thai curry on camino ...... plenty of potential pilgrims lurking .... debating which rice she is using

There are more than 40,000 varieties of cultivated rice .....

OK, sorry but I simply can't resist ... I wrote the following poem a few years ago to a friend who had invited me for dinner and said she'd be cooking rice. The Billie that I mention towards the end is her sometimes very mischievous dog :)

I went to sleep last night wondering
What kind of rice we would be having.

Did you know that there are 40,000+ varieties of rice?

There's long grain rice and short grain rice
Aromatic rice, basmati rice, jasmine rice and japonica rice.
There's African rice, Australian rice, Bangladeshi and Bhutanese rice
Cambodian rice, Chinese rice, Dominican rice, Iranian and Italian rice
Japanese, Nepalese, Lao and Pakistani varieties
There's Indian rice, Indonesian rice, Philippine and Sri Lankan rice
Spanish rice, Thai rice, Vietnamese rice
There's even United States rice and Canadian wild rice
Although some claim that Canadian wild rice isn't really rice at all.
Because it doesn't come from the plant described in the bible (so it MUST be true!)
There's white rice, brown rice, red rice, yellow rice, purple and black rice.
There's whole grain rice and not so whole grain rice
There's even a Forbidden Rice ... my personal favourite and I'm sure Billie's too!

So as I embark on my day,
Go about my chores,
Be not concerned should you find me distracted
With a faraway look in my eyes.
I'll just be dreaming and wondering
What type of rice we'll be having.

We (most) all carry a luxury item or two. If I were walking at the same time as you, I'd volunteer to carry that thing once in awhile for a really good portion of that Thai Jasmine rice. But alas, I'm starting out in March:(
Three cheers for your supporting your wife and easing her concerns about her diet on the walk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.