• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Essential items to leave behind?

Mooncat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Fall 2015)
Ok, so I am preparing for my first Camino Frances in September and assembled all my gear today, packed it to my pack, and weighed the bugger. I have exceeded the 10% body weight rule by several pounds! So, I served myself a glass of wine, said a few choice curse words, and took a few essentials out of the equation. After eliminating one critical pair of underwear (leaving 3 for the trip), ditching a pair of socks (how important are feet?), leaving out the small pack of blessed wet-wipes, switching an old, threadbare fleece anorak for a new fluffy one (4 oz savings), and leaving out half of my t-shirt allotment (two), I have lessened my load by 1 lb, 2 oz. Not enough! So, out goes the headlamp, even though I have terrible night vision and have actually sat on two people on two different occasions in movie theatres (the dude got a bit upset), saving a couple of ounces (no pre-dawn venturing forth). No rain gaiters, so I am condemned to wet feet in Galicia. Still, not enough. What else? Everything else in the pack seems absolutely necessary to the civilized person I imagine myself to be. For God's sake, I will be five weeks on the Way! Do I need to do something secondary, like gain weight to bring my allowable pack weight up? What? Is the point of walking the Camino to actually give up practically everything? What are some items other Pilgrims have thought they absolutely needed, but didn't. Help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yup.. Post your list and let us have at it! :::maniacal laughter::: :p
So, you would have me bare my soul. So be it. Going from top to bottom and extras:
knit cap
baseball cap
boonie hat
two bandanas
two long sleeve shirts
one long sleeve t-shirt
one evening shirt (weighs 4 oz) Civilization!!!
one pair long pants
two pair shorts
4 briefs ( I planned on 5)
3 pair of socks with thin liners (I planned on 4)
boots
teva sandals
fleece anorak (not the new one)
rain jacket
rain cover for pack
rain kilt ( a couple of ounces, don't ask about the kilt thing)
sleep shorts
pillow case
silk inner sack for sleeping bag
sleeping bag (<2 lbs)
laundry stuff (clothes pins, detergent, line, minimal)
personal hygiene (minimal and non-negotiable, but small, Civilization Man!)
first aid and considerations: six bandaids, a bit of antiseptic, earplugs, sunblock (3 oz)
hardware: corkscrew, nail clippers, tweezers, sewing kit, small scissors
very small Nikon point and shoot camera
7 inch tablet (I need to contact my loved ones, or else they will move on)
water bottles (2 small)
couple of small dry bags for my identity and travel papers for when I am found
item for Cruz de Ferro
3x5 notepad and pencil (pencil! weighs nothing)
sunglasses and eye glasses
knee brace for when it goes out
small camp towel (washcloth sized)
bag of gorp (if my limit allows)
photos of my children, my girlfriend, my mom
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50

Ok, start cutting my stash!

Ok.. here is what I would do:

knit cap - leave it home

baseball cap
boonie hat - choose this or the baseball cap, leave the other home
two bandanas - one for your neck and one for your bum???
two long sleeve shirts - you only need one

one long sleeve t-shirt
one evening shirt (weighs 4 oz) Civilization!!! - You won't need this - buy one when you arrive in Santiago
one pair long pants
two pair shorts - you only need one
4 briefs ( I planned on 5) - you only need 2 or 3

boots - are they well broken in? Have you worn hiking boots a lot? They shouldn't count in your weight, since you are wearing them.
teva sandals

rain jacket - what kind?
rain cover for pack
rain kilt ( a couple of ounces, don't ask about the kilt thing) Oh I have to! What the heck is it?

sleep shorts - just sleep in your underwear
pillow case - you don't need this

silk inner sack for sleeping bag - choose one or the other, you don't need both
sleeping bag (<2 lbs)

laundry stuff (clothes pins, detergent, line, minimal) Instead of clothespins, take large safety pins so your things don't blow or walk away. You do not need a line or detergent. You will use cold water washing bar which you can purchase there. If you use a washing machine, the detergent comes with the cost.

first aid and considerations: six bandaids, a bit of antiseptic, earplugs, sunblock (3 oz)

hardware: corkscrew, nail clippers, tweezers, sewing kit, small scissors - Personally, I'd leave all this home.

water bottles (2 small)

item for Cruz de Ferro

photos of my children, my girlfriend, my mom - Put the photos on your tablet.
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 - Holy Moly that is a BIG pack!

I see no short sleeved shirts.
Nor do I see a fleece.
I would take one short sleeved teeshirt or quick dri shirt, one long sleeved one, and a lightweight fleece.
You will not need a heavy fleece jacket. If it''s windy you can wear your rain gear.

As it happens, I have just spent a large part of today reviewing and weighing and updating my list, so I'm in the mood to offer opinions! (I also have a glass of vino tino at my side for inspiration.) I am assuming that your list includes what you'll be wearing. Most quoted pack weights don't include the usual walking clothes, but as others will point out, the 10%-of-body-weight guideline might be better replaced by a % that covers from skin-side-out. My personal list runs about 12% of body weight, 15% from skin side out, including some water and snack food. I'm walking in mid-October to November, so must be prepared for heat, cold and rain. I also prefer to be fully equipped and not be looking for a pharmacy when I need one.

So, my comments are sometimes in agreement with Anniesantiago, and sometimes not...

knit cap [Your photo suggests you might be a bit challenged in the head-covering department, but all these headcovers are excessive. If you have a hood on your rain jacket, then you probably don't need the knit cap in September. Practice with a hood, your other cap and bandana combo instead.]
baseball cap [Pick either this or the boonie hat, not both. Possibly better the boonie hat will be more versatile.]
boonie hat
two bandanas [One is enough. If it is hot, it will dry quickly. However, one might also supplement your minimal towel supply.]
two long sleeve shirts [What function do they serve, if you already have an evening shirt, long-sleeve T, a fleece anorak AND a rain jacket. In cold weather, you just wear all your clothes. Bring one, at most. Maybe as Annie says, make it a short-sleeve t-shirt]
one long sleeve t-shirt [Quick dry fabric, or merino wool, I hope]
one evening shirt (weighs 4 oz) Civilization!!! [Fine, but consider it as an available extra layer for cold weather, too.]
one pair long pants
two pair shorts
[Why 2? If it is warm enough to need them, and they are not cotton, they will dry quickly. Wear your other things while you wait.]
4 briefs ( I planned on 5) [One to wear, one to wash, and one ready to wear.]
3 pair of socks with thin liners (I planned on 4) [I'd suggest 4 sets of whatever your sock combo is, including those you are wearing]
boots
teva sandals
[I assume this is your "warm" layer. Bring the new lighter one, and layer up everything if necessary.]
rain jacket
rain cover for pack

sleep shorts [OK. But another reason you don't need 2 pairs of regular shorts}
pillow case [Make it small and use it for carrying your clothes]
silk inner sack for sleeping bag [I wouldn't bring this]
sleeping bag (<2 lbs)
[Bring 6 safety pins. Use your soap bar for hand washing]
first aid and considerations:
six bandaids, a bit of antiseptic, earplugs, sunblock (3 oz) [I personally bring a bit more than this]
hardware: corkscrew, nail clippers, tweezers, sewing kit, small scissors [I bring all with this]
[Plus chargers, of course]
water bottles (2 small) [Buy small bottles of water in Spain]
item for Cruz de Ferro

photos of my children, my girlfriend, my mom [I agree with Annie. Put them on your tablet]
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 [Fine, if it fits you well and is comfortable. Don't be tempted to fill it up]

You haven't mentioned walking poles or a guide book, both of which I wouldn't go without. If you are bringing a knee brace, you should certainly bring walking poles.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most people over pack the first time on Camino. I surely did - and ended up mailing home a 2kg parcel only a few days in. You will quickly know if your pack weight is jeopardizing your trek. But it would be better to whittle it down off the bat. And to that end, you've received some good suggestions from the peregrinas above.

The only thing I can add is with regard to the pillow case. I am in the camp that says to bring something to cover the often-dubious Albergue pillow. I brought a stretchy infinity scarf that could handle any shape pillow. European pillows are not the same dimension as North American. The infinity scarf was wonderfully soft too and ended up being one of my favourite pieces of kit.

Good feedback already. .... take the advice offered :)

And you will still realize a few days in, that you brought way too much! It's surprising how little you need....

Pack size is a handy guide. You should be able to fit all you need in 40 liters. I managed fine with 35....

I'm not a fan of t-shirts or short sleeved shirts (apart from one base layer model for warmth as reqd which you can also use as night wear).
Three long-sleeve polyester shirts give:
Arm and neck protection against sun or the cold.
An added ventilation option as you can unbutton the front, as well as roll sleeves up, when required.
I take two pairs off zip-off convertible trousers to cover the shorts/longs requirements. And I'm wearing one of them when I leave home.
3 sets each of undies and sock systems, and wear one of each, along with one of your shirts, your fleece and your boots, when you leave home.
I've never had wet feet during two Sep/Oct Camino's. Loose the gaiters.
Sock it to em cobber.
Buen Camino.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My turn!!!!

You onlu need 1 piece of head protection, and it should be from sun protection for the very hot days. Leave the knit and bonnie hats home, and pick something lighter and more flexible than the baseball cap to replace it. As for the bandanas, they can also stay home even if so many hear swear by thei Buffs: brought one this year to test this assumption and still can't find a use for them.
knit cap
baseball cap
boonie hat
two bandanas

Shirts: one of each, short and long, especially if you add the eveningwaer.
two long sleeve shirts
one long sleeve t-shirt

Pants: one of each, I would make both long pants as much more versitile and offer protection from the sun. The ones you can turn to shorts pr roll up are great.
one pair long pants
two pair shorts

You.ll be doing laundry daily, so 2 briefs. Trust me, you don't want to carry dirty ones around! 3 pairs of socks is ok.

Footeear: consider trail runners, but this is a long discussion not to be had here.
boots
teva sandals

Jackets: a light fleece is good, but fleece anorak is overkill in my opinion.
Fleece anorak (not the new one)
rain jacket
rain cover for pack

Sleep: in September on the CF pick either the liner or sleeping bag, which will most likely be overkill.
sleep shorts
pillow case
sleeping bag (<2

Luandry: leave the line at home and bring safteypins rathers than clothes pins.

Leave the corckscreew at home wine is inexpensive in bars and restaurants, consime there and allow the local economy to thrive a bit. Replace the camera by the allpurpose smart phone.

water bottles (2 small)

Please don't. This is just another way of littering the Camino and it cost the local gov't a fortune to remove that stuff a number of times a year.
item for Cruz de Ferro

Aim for 8 kg and what fits in a 40 liter bag, not 50 and you'll have all you need.

Ok, start cutting my stash![/QUOTE]

My only thought after looking at your list was how many of those things are going to be wearing or carrying in your pockets? Why are they being added to your backpack, i.e. the boots? Rule of thumb for me is you wear one change of clothes and carry two or less in your pack.

Last edited:
One pair of treking sandals
Two t shirt
One shorts
One marino long underwear
Prima loft lightweight hooded jacket.

Tooth brush cut down
Small tooth paste
All in one hair body shampoo
Personal lubricant

Poncho
Speedos
Smartphone
Water bladder pack.
One travel organizer.

Oz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also leave in September! When do you start walking?

Also, no short sleeved shirts? Avoiding the sun? Could be wise but you might be way too hot... I choose to bring two short sleeved shirts and one long, so if I'm cold I can wear it over the short one.

So, you would have me bare my soul. So be it.
Going from top to bottom and extras:
knit cap
baseball cap
boonie hat

Bring one hat. I would suggest one that provides shade and can be buckled under your chin in wind conditions.

two bandanas

two long sleeve shirts
one long sleeve t-shirt

Bring three long sleeve shirts. One to wear during the day, one to wear in the evening. When the day use shirt gets too smelly the evening shirt gets promoted to day use and the clean one becomes your night shirt.

one pair long pants
two pair shorts
sleep shorts

Bring one pair shorts for day use, one long pair (light weight) for evening use. Wear sleep shorts while doing laundry.

Bring two. Don't wear during the day. Wear for evening and night. The spare to use when laundry is done.

Bring 4 pair with one pair reserved for evening use. Wear inside out on the second day of use.

boots
teva sandals

Instead of tevas bring plastic shower clogs ... much lighter and suitable for walking around the albergue. Boots worn outdoors always.

rain jacket
rain cover for pack

If you wear shorts you might want scree cuffs to keep debris out of your boots. They are not intended to keep rain out but they will help with that too.

pillow case
sleeping bag (<2 lbs)

There is liquid concentrate camp soap. Usually soap is part of the cost of getting laundry done ... detergent not needed. Your clothes can be rinsed several times to help keep odor under control and avoid paying to get laundry done. Usually where there is a washer there is a dryer too. A line will have minimal use ... what will you tie it to?

nail clippers

tweezers

Does your knee go out or are you just being overprepared? The most common injury on the camino is blisters.

hardware: corkscrew, sewing kit, small scissors

Why bring a corkscrew?

You can take photos with your tablet

Get a cell phone or ipad.

ziploc bags

item for Cruz de Ferro

There are enough rocks at cruz de ferro already so leave it at home. Don't even consider leaving anything but a rock. (If you must bring a rock, only rocks suitable for making building blocks are accepted)

Use your 7 inch tablet

water bottles (2 small)

Food and water are basic necessities.

put electronic versions on your tablet

So, you would have me bare my soul. So be it. Going from top to bottom and extras:
knit cap
baseball cap
boonie hat
two bandanas
two long sleeve shirts
one long sleeve t-shirt
one pair long pants
two pair shorts
boots
teva sandals
rain jacket
rain cover for pack
sleep shorts
pillow case
sleeping bag (<2 lbs)
water bottles (2 small)
item for Cruz de Ferro

Heh! Heh! Heh! I love this part
Ditch the 2 heaviest caps
Ditch 1 bandana
ditch 1 long sleeved shirt
Ditch 1 pair of shorts
2 pair of briefs, was one wear one, hang the washed one off your pack if it is wet
Sleep shorts???
No pillow case needed, you'll be given one
Gorp???
Buen (light-packing)Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All of the above comments are outstanding and worth considering seriously. I am not going to add to the confusion by weighing in with my opinions. My comments would be largely redundant anyway. So, here is the question, AFTER you applied all of the above suggestions you could, what is the resulting backpack weight?

Also, I have done 3 Caminos (Frances 2013 & 2014; Portuguese 2015). I always use my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack. However, and this is the key part, on my last Camino, by the time I got to Santiago, I had either discarded, donated, consumed, or mailed to Ivar at Santiago, over 12 POUNDS! Remember, this was my THIRD time at this. I continue to work hard to prove Einsteins' theory that "The definition of insanity is to continue repeating the same action expecting a different outcome...;)"

My rucksack was only about 2/3 full when I arrived at the Pilgrim Office in April 2015. Nothing was on the outside. Everything fit easily inside. I have FINALLY learned the lessons that my fellow veterans are trying to explain above. So, the NEXT TIME, I have a new solution for a May - September Camino:

• 35-liter ultralight pack with aero suspension and light hip belt I bought in France (www.elementerre.fr)
  • Toss a flashlight / torch for a tiny LED squeeze light attached to my Swiss Army knife, with scissors and corkscrew
  • Toss the separate Canon pocket camera and charger / spare battery in favor of using a smart phone ((iPhone 6)
  • Leave sleeping bag home. I found an Alps Mountaineering rectangular microfiber liner with full zip for < USD 25. It weighs about 400 gm.
  • Toss the rain parka in favor of the poncho. I sweat a lot.
  • Take the lightest fleece I have (Polartec 100 series), but which has a zip front.
  • Toss sunglasses in favor of prescription, progressive bifocals with Transitions (auto-darkening) lenses.
  • Reduce underwear to 2, one on, one in the bag.
  • Reduce socks to 3 sets, one on, two in the bag. I wear double socks (liner + outer). Changing socks during the day reduces blistering.
  • Reduce shirts to 2 short sleeve and one light "travel shirt" with roll-up sleeves. One on, two in the bag.
  • Wear boots or hiking sandals, carry Crocs
  • Lightest weight travel towel that is large enough to cover me around the waist (Sea-to-Summit) microfiber.
  • Sun hat, PLUS ventilated ball cap. The ball cap is ideal to use with the poncho in the rain to keep rain off eyeglasses. The sun hat worn with a poncho channels rain to my back, and pack.
  • Use e-book guides and maps on the iPhone in place of heavy paper books.
In addition, I make generous use of my cargo pockets. My iPhone, knife, emergency med supply, all documents, and wallet ride there, or in side pockets. The rear pockets are reserved for my Buff and a small microfiber face cloth for drying hands where no paper towels are provided...

Although this sounds like it would be under the 10 kg limit, I have medical issues that compel me to carry another 2 -3 kg of dietary supplements and medications. So, there is no getting away from carrying slightly too much.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you. I value the excellent advice and will make adjustments. Let me repack this evening and I will see what the difference is. Then, I will post the difference. That is what I needed. With regard to walking poles, I was thinking of getting some in St. Jean.

There was one comment that confused me, referring to littering Cruz de Ferro by placing an item there? It is not my intention to litter anywhere, just so you know. I will do a bit of research and will decide what impact my small contribution to the cairn will have on the Camino. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Am looking forward to heading out of St. Jean towards Roncesvalles on Thursday, Sept. 3, with a smaller and more comfortable load (including my corkscrew). Mooncat

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
(including my corkscrew)
Yes. Wine is plentiful and inexpensive in restaurants and is included with the pilgrims' menus. However, if you ever want to buy a bottle for consumption elsewhere, you will have a hard time finding one with a screw top!

I will do a bit of research and will decide what impact my small contribution to the cairn will have on the Camino. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Mooncat

Mooncat,
That comment you refer to, even though I can't see it in the thread, worries me because of the impact it has had upon you and your Camino intentions.
I prefer to think that is a personal opinion by another, which is fine by me. However, if your need is to leave something at Cruz de Ferro, do it my friend. This is your Camino. I think I may understand the person's concern,although, it is fair to say their concern is theirs, your need is more personal to you, and I for one would not be critical of you leaving something there.
Buen (Cruz de Ferro memories)Camino

That Osprey Atmos 50 pack is large and heavy. You can find lighter-weight alternatives. Put yourself on a weight budget! Weigh everything! Write it down! Look for lighter-weight alternatives for every problem. Shave an ounce sixteen times and you have saved a pound. Emery boards are lighter than nail clippers. A smartphone serves as both camera and communicator. Crocs may be lighter than Tevas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a camelbak mil tac mule, thats your lot. You cant overpack.

Get thongs and a salomon cross x 2 shoes. Get some lightweight poles.

Better still,

Treking sandals and no underwear.

No sox and no skidders, your a real pilgrim then.

I am the person who has asked the OP to reconsidering leaving something at the Cruz de Ferro. It's the poor volonteers of the local and regional Camino associations who regularly have to go up there to clean up. Not only is it work they would rather spend doing on other things, but it is very costly. They have to bring tractors and trucs to get rid of the stuff a number of times a year. They are working hard to, as they put it, give that very important site its dignity again.

Just Google Cruz de ferro and basura or limpieza and you will read about this. The same way you would not think of leaving your blankets on the floor by your bunk at the albergue, or the counters in the kitchens a mess for the volonteer hospitalero, one should also think of not dumping stuff on that site. Here are a few links:

http://caminosantiagoandalucia.org/...lanzan-un-s-o-s-para-salvar-la-cruz-de-ferro/
http://www.tripadvisor.es/ShowTopic...ertida_en_un_basurero-Camino_de_Santiago.html

It may be his Camino, but not his land. Leaving things there is even worse in my opinion that loo paper on the way, because one could assume that the loo paper was due to an unplanned event, unlike leaving things on that cross. It's a simple matter of respect.

Ok, so I am preparing for my first Camino Frances in September and assembled all my gear today, packed it to my pack, and weighed the bugger. I have exceeded the 10% body weight rule by several pounds! So, I served myself a glass of wine, said a few choice curse words, and took a few essentials out of the equation. After eliminating one critical pair of underwear (leaving 3 for the trip), ditching a pair of socks (how important are feet?), leaving out the small pack of blessed wet-wipes, switching an old, threadbare fleece anorak for a new fluffy one (4 oz savings), and leaving out half of my t-shirt allotment (two), I have lessened my load by 1 lb, 2 oz. Not enough! So, out goes the headlamp, even though I have terrible night vision and have actually sat on two people on two different occasions in movie theatres (the dude got a bit upset), saving a couple of ounces (no pre-dawn venturing forth). No rain gaiters, so I am condemned to wet feet in Galicia. Still, not enough. What else? Everything else in the pack seems absolutely necessary to the civilized person I imagine myself to be. For God's sake, I will be five weeks on the Way! Do I need to do something secondary, like gain weight to bring my allowable pack weight up? What? Is the point of walking the Camino to actually give up practically everything? What are some items other Pilgrims have thought they absolutely needed, but didn't. Help!

You've never gone camping have you! Ok here's my 2 cents worth. 10% of your body weight is a target weight, it's not carved in stone. That being said, the lighter the pack the better. As the day progresses the heavier the pack is going to feel. With the exception of my socks which are wool, every thing I carry is a fast drying, light weight synthetic. You wash clothes every day on the Camimo!

When selecting your gear you need to consider and research the weather for that time of year and pack accordingly. Try to select gear that is multipurpose. My list is as follows:
2 pair Columbia pants with zip off legs (same brand/type), 2 short and 1 long sleeve North Face tees, 2 Columbia long sleeve button up shirts, 1 long John bottom, 3 exoffico skivies, 3 pr. Wigwam wool socks, 1 lite zip up fleese, 1 waterproof windbreaker, 1 brimmed hat, head lamp because I often start in the dark and prefer a hands off light sourse, minimal toiletries, soap, pit stick, tooth brush and paste, crocks, you can shave at the end of your Camino, a personal first aid kit with mole skin, new skin, or compeed, and minimal luxuries, I break this rule with my camera, tablet, and iPhone and back up chargers.

A good fitting pack is important. I favor the Asprey Talon 45 It's light weight and adjustable. Make sure your shoes or boots are a good fit and broke in. Take a sleeping bag if the weather dictates one and always take a bag liner. I always take a zip up poncho and trekking poles. If it's hot I'm good, if it's cool I'm good, if it's cold I'm good, if it's windy I'm good, if it's wet I'm good, when it rains I'm good, if it does all of there things during the day, and it can, I'm good. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anemone, thank you for bringing up a good point regarding garbage on The Camino. I have read through the two posts for which you supplied links. There does not appear to be an issue with Pilgrims leaving a small stone or memento at the base of the Cruz, rather, it is with them leaving rubbish in their wake or tacking a lot of material to the base of the cross, only to have it degrade with time and exposure. I agree with you whole-heartedly that it is disrespectful to scatter trash and I have no intention of doing so, in my land, your land or anywhere. Your passion for respect for the environment and for The Camino is admirable and I agree. Mooncat

Mooncat,
That comment you refer to, even though I can't see it in the thread, worries me because of the impact it has had upon you and your Camino intentions.
I prefer to think that is a personal opinion by another, which is fine by me. However, if your need is to leave something at Cruz de Ferro, do it my friend. This is your Camino. I think I may understand the person's concern,although, it is fair to say their concern is theirs, your need is more personal to you, and I for one would not be critical of you leaving something there.
JohnMcM, thank you for your kind words. No worries. I am still evolving in my mental approach to the journey. The idea of arriving at a location (Cruz de Ferro) designated to ease a traveler's mental anguish is much more important a concept than what token a person might actually physically leave there. However, I agree with Anemone that respect for the location must be maintained. And, with me, it will. Thank you.

Mooncat,
@JohnMcM, when I read your response my first thought - although I don't agree with you - is that you were very generous to say what you did. However .......
I am the person who has asked the OP to reconsidering leaving something at the Cruz de Ferro. It's the poor volonteers of the local and regional Camino associations who regularly have to go up there to clean up. Not only is it work they would rather spend doing on other things, but it is very costly. They have to bring tractors and trucs to get rid of the stuff a number of times a year. They are working hard to, as they put it, give that very important site its dignity again.

Just Google Cruz de ferro and basura or limpieza and you will read about this. The same way you would not think of leaving your blankets on the floor by your bunk at the albergue, or the counters in the kitchens a mess for the volonteer hospitalero, one should also think of not dumping stuff on that site. Here are a few links:

http://caminosantiagoandalucia.org/...lanzan-un-s-o-s-para-salvar-la-cruz-de-ferro/
http://www.tripadvisor.es/ShowTopic...ertida_en_un_basurero-Camino_de_Santiago.html

It may be his Camino, but not his land. Leaving things there is even worse in my opinion that loo paper on the way, because one could assume that the loo paper was due to an unplanned event, unlike leaving things on that cross. It's a simple matter of respect.
I agree with you, @Anemone del Camino, and thank you for bringing up this issue. Personally, I would never leave anything at la Cruz de Ferro, but I respect others' wish / need to do so. I just wish they would limit it to only stones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also leave in September! When do you start walking?

Also, no short sleeved shirts? Avoiding the sun? Could be wise but you might be way too hot... I choose to bring two short sleeved shirts and one long, so if I'm cold I can wear it over the short one.
Inbar, alas, my days of short sleeved shirts are gone. Fair skin and too much sun exposure in my youth has put limits on how much more sun my weathered skin can tolerate. Your point of layering is well taken and I think I will leave my fleece anorak at home. My walk starts Sept. 3. Thank you. Mooncat

Less is best. Have you considered starting with a much smaller pack? Really a 30-35 l. is adequate. Excess gear problem solved.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions and evaluations. Here's what I ditched:
baseball cap
pillow case
two shirts, one pair shorts, one briefs, one pr socks
all cold weather gear (it will be Sept- early Oct)
first aid items
laundry items except for clothes pins
camera (will use tablet for pix)
gorp (nuts, raisins, mm mix)

Those subtractions took off a bit over 5 lbs. I have been told that during The Camino, I will ditch more, but not in a ditch (No worries, Anemone!). I believe I am all set for now. Thank you. This was helpful. Mooncat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anemone, thank you for bringing up a good point regarding garbage on The Camino. I have read through the two posts for which you supplied links. There does not appear to be an issue with Pilgrims leaving a small stone or memento at the base of the Cruz, rather, it is with them leaving rubbish in their wake or tacking a lot of material to the base of the cross, only to have it degrade with time and exposure. I agree with you whole-heartedly that it is disrespectful to scatter trash and I have no intention of doing so, in my land, your land or anywhere. Your passion for respect for the environment and for The Camino is admirable and I agree. Mooncat
They actually refer to the teddy bears, pieces of clothing, papers, even rosaries, etc. that people bring as garbage. They complain that when onr leaves somehing that may be meaningful but looks like trash to others it encourages people to leave real trash, and that these things end up breaking up and flying into neighbouring land and properties. They talk about getting this monument back to its true ad original meaning.

They explicitly ask that people only bring tiny stones, not rocks that can kill people when they fall on people when the rope they were hoisted up break.

Reminds me of these TV shows about hoarders or people who who keep all sorts of objects "for sentimental value". Memories and feelings are in our hearts, not in objects.

Just keep in mind that we are guests on the Camino, others live near and around it. And others care for ot day after day, making it the wonderful place we love. The least we can do is to respect that land, its people and those who give so much of themselves for our benefit.

Here r my thoughts on your packing list:

boonie hat (heavy canvas or light weight material?)

one bandanas

one long sleeve shirts

one long sleeve t-shirt

two pair "Zip off leg" long pants

3 briefs ( I planned on 5)

boots

teva sandals

rain jacket

rain cover for pack

sleeping bag (<2 lbs)

laundry stuff (safety pins, Dr. Bonners all purpose soap, line, minimal)

first aid and considerations: six bandaids, a bit of antiseptic, earplugs, sunblock (3 oz) add Moleskin

7 inch tablet (I need to contact my loved ones, or else they will move on) If you will be carrying a cell phone you can leave the tablet at home

water bottles (2 small) Use the simple water bottles you buy in the store. They are lighter.

couple of small dry bags for my identity and travel papers for when I am found Use Qt. Freezer Zip-Lock bags

item for Cruz de Ferro

I also notices you did not list short sleeve or T shirts. Remember you will be wearing half of these clothes so don't weigh them in your packs weight.

I will desist from more comments on the items you carry as there are enough suggestions already. I would like to comment on this theory about 10% of your body weight. It should only be a guide, not a rule. Take as an example an overweight person weighing 120 kgs - does this mean it's ok to carry 12 kgs? Chances are that person will be down to 100kgs on arrival at Santiago. I prefer to think of the 10% 'rule' as the absolute maximum. On my first Camino I weighed 70 kg, but my pack weighed 9.5 kgs. CRAZY! By day 5 I had donated 1 kg but still carried too much. The second time it weighed 8 kg - still CRAZY. On my last camino it weighed 6.2 kg and that included the pack (Deuter 22 litre) (1kg) and sleeping bag (0.6 kg). The pack is a 22 litre but I couldn't fit a my rainjacket in. Next September I will take a bigger pack (Osprey 24 litre) and not take my sleeping bag but just a silk liner that includes a pocket for a pillow. I have found by experience that in September a sleeping bag is not necessary. You will need it in October though. I have walked around 4000 km throughout Spain and Portugal, plus many treks in South Africa, Nepal, China etc. so have some experience.

@JohnMcM, when I read your response my first thought - although I don't agree with you - is that you were very generous to say what you did. However .......

I agree with you, @Anemone del Camino, and thank you for bringing up this issue. Personally, I would never leave anything at la Cruz de Ferro, but I respect others' wish / need to do so. I just wish they would limit it to only stones.

Thanks Icacos, that means a lot to me.
Anemone del Camino, I see and agree with your point. My response to mooncat was based on the assumption he was talking about the 'usual' small stone/rock as a symbol of some personal memory/burden/prayer etc. I guess you're post now means that I need to go back and reclaim the old fridge-freezer I left there.;)
Buen(rubbish-free)Camino

Thanks Icacos, that means a lot to me.
Anemone del Camino, I see and agree with your point. My response to mooncat was based on the assumption he was talking about the 'usual' small stone/rock as a symbol of some personal memory/burden/prayer etc. I guess you're post now means that I need to go back and reclaim the old fridge-freezer I left there.;)
Buen(rubbish-free)Camino
Yes, but when you did it lightened your pack, right? The next 400km were much better after leaving that, I am sure.
Some of the stones left there had just as much weight as your fridge for the bearers. My Native American Name is "Walks with Walmart Bag", so I will be picking up trash as I walk the Camino just as I do at home. It's a habit.
My pack is 11.5 lbs, and you will never ever get my weight for comparison (172). Never. Ever.

I am walking the camino frances in October-November this year and I am trying very hard to ignore the ultra light supporters and the 10% of body weight boosters. I will need a sleeping bag, not down fill, as I am allergic, and a set of sturdy warm long underwear. I will take what I can find that seems as light as practical and doable for my budget, but I don't want to freeze - one set of zip off pants to wear and one walking skirt, socks, shirts and underwear chosen for warmth, light weight, and the probability that I will not always be able to dry them overnight, one pair of lightweight spare shoes to supplement my walking boots. If my pack feels heavy at the start, I will try to resist the temptation to offload carefully chosen items that I don't immediately need. I will need them in Galicia in November, and possibly sooner. I can resist all the pressure to lighten up because it is clear that my pack weight, without tent, mattress, cooking gear, weeks' worth of food, will be only about 50% of my usual pack weight for walking the strenuous trails of the Rocky Mountains. I shall also not be walking far each day. My suggestion to camino walkers is to choose carefully, take what you need, and do not be overwhelmed by pressure to lighten up. This is, of course, for experienced walkers. I am impressed by the generosity of those who offer their time and experience to assist the packing of newcomers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Our tactic is to have one complete set of clothes as for a cold day, then pack another complete set. This includes fleeces, one lightweight one mid weight. Add in 2 extra pairs of undies and liner socks. Add a spare 'good shirt' and your waterproofs. Now take any 'extra' clothing so that you would wear on a cold day and put it in the pack, then weigh it. This means we have our pack weight as it would be on a hot dry day with both fleeces and rain gear in the pack.
We therefore have 2 of everything plus the 'extras', our shirts are long sleeved, trousers zip-off. Remember to put in a travel towel and toiletries in small quantities and other real essentials. Terry had his pack weight down to 6.5kgs without a sleeping bag ,that would have added 750gms, so 8kgs should be achievable. His pack is a 45lt size and weighs 1.6kgs. We prefer bottles to camelpac as we can see what water we have, important on a hot day and remember that 1lt of water weighs 1kg :eek:.

knit cap - what season are you walking in?
baseball cap
boonie hat - what is this?
two bandanas - drop one
two long sleeve shirts - drop one
one long sleeve t-shirt
one evening shirt (weighs 4 oz) Civilization!!! - drop it
one pair long pants
two pair shorts
4 briefs ( I planned on 5) - drop 1 (some will tell you to drop 2)
boots
teva sandals - debatable, depending on what you are planning to use them for - walking? not?
rain jacket
rain cover for pack
sleep shorts
pillow case
silk inner sack for sleeping bag - again, what season are you walking in?
sleeping bag (<2 lbs) - again, what season are you walking in?
personal hygiene (minimal and non-negotiable, but small, Civilization Man!) - please list
7 inch tablet (I need to contact my loved ones, or else they will move on) - can you do this with a cell phone?
water bottles (2 small) - some people will tell you to just bring one, but water is one thing that I personally won't skimp on.
item for Cruz de Ferro
3x5 notepad and pencil (pencil! weighs nothing) - ha! this is one thing that I have a problem traveling without - random thoughts about and must be captured! however, they could in theory be put into some other device
sunglasses and eye glasses - can these be combined?
bag of gorp (if my limit allows) - I have heard that they have food in Spain. :)
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 - reduce pack size

Yes, but when you did it lightened your pack, right? The next 400km were much better after leaving that, I am sure.
Some of the stones left there had just as much weight as your fridge for the bearers. My Native American Name is "Walks with Walmart Bag", so I will be picking up trash as I walk the Camino just as I do at home. It's a habit.
My pack is 11.5 lbs, and you will never ever get my weight for comparison (172). Never. Ever.
Coleen, in the spirit of the saying, "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem", my remaining hat is off to you. What an excellent example to set! In an effort to not be a part of the crowd that follows, "If I am not part of the problem, I am part of the solution", I will plan to also pack out trash, as I do here at home. This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent, so enough said. If I actually follow through on what I have promised (talk is cheap), I will start a thread devoted to garbage management on the Camino upon my return. Mooncat

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There was one comment that confused me, referring to littering Cruz de Ferro by placing an item there? It is not my intention to litter anywhere, just so you know. I will do a bit of research and will decide what impact my small contribution to the cairn will have on the Camino. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

A cairn is usually placed as a marker for navigation purpose.

Somehow, the tradition of leaving a pile of stones to mark the way has morphed into the ridiculous at Cruz de Ferro where there is now a small mountain of pebbles. And as has been pointed out, people are leaving personal mementos ... aka garbage ... which really detracts from the site.

And not just at cruz de ferro. Every monument along the camino has a accumulate a handful of pebbles, rocks, and ... garbage. Even worse are the constructions that are marred by graffiti. At Foncebadon, just before Cruz de Ferro, there are signs asking people to not place stones on the monuments located in the village.

I don't get why people feel the need to leave anything on the camino (or any other great walk for that matter).

The backcountry ethic is: take only photos and leave only footprints. In other words leave it as you would like to find it.

I would like to comment on this theory about 10% of your body weight. It should only be a guide, not a rule. Take as an example an overweight person weighing 120 kgs - does this mean it's ok to carry 12 kgs?
@camino-david makes a very good point. I think that when planning what load you will carry, if you are obese or overweight, it is better to use the weight you would be if your BMI was at the upper range of healthy weight. Most sources suggest that is BMI=25.

I use the same approach in advice I give on pack volume calculations. Recommending a particular pack size or volume just because it was right for you without establishing the context of what you weighed (as @camino-david did, but @paul.ferris hasn't) isn't very useful. Someone who is 60 kg might walk successfully with a pack around 30 li, but it is unlikely that someone who is 80 kg would find that enough. If they did attempt it, they might find themselves hanging stuff outside their pack. I prefer not to do this, but others don't seem to mind. On the camino this is less of a problem than it might be in other circumstances.

Someone who is 60 kg might walk successfully with a pack around 30 li, but it is unlikely that someone who is 80 kg would find that enough. If they did attempt it, they might find themselves hanging stuff outside their pack. /QUOTE]
Dougfitz, I don't understand. Why would a 30l be fine for a 60kg person but not 80kg? Because their clothes are a bit bigger and would not fit in the 30l?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My take on it is this. If you weigh 60kg, and achieve the magic number of 10% of body mass as your bare pack weight (ie less consumables like food and water) and fit that into a 30li pack, that is about 200 gm/li. To ask someone who at 80 kg who achieves the same target, ie 8 kg, to pack that into a 30 li pack is a packing density of 270 gm/li, or 35% more densely packed. My experience is that packing densities around 200gm/li (bare weight) are about right. Anything much above 250 gm/li and it starts getting tough to make things fit. So someone who says they used, say, a 35 li pack without also saying how much they weighed isn't really providing much to go on in helping others make an assessment about whether a similar sized pack would be suitable.

My take on it is this. If you weigh 60kg, and achieve the magic number of 10% of body mass as your bare pack weight (ie less consumables like food and water) and fit that into a 30li pack, that is about 200 gm/li. To ask someone who at 80 kg who achieves the same target, ie 8 kg, to pack that into a 30 li pack is a packing density of 270 gm/li, or 35% more densely packed. My experience is that packing densities around 200gm/li (bare weight) are about right. Anything much above 250 gm/li and it starts getting tough to make things fit. So someone who says they used, say, a 35 li pack without also saying how much they weighed isn't really providing much to go on in helping others make an assessment about whether a similar sized pack would be suitable.
I get that if you carry more you will need more room to put it into. But isn't the goal to carry only what you need and not 10%? Why would I carry more stuff just because I weigh more?

I don't need extra socks, undies, tshirts or pants just because I weigh more. The truth is that in good weather, May-September, even perhaps until mid-october, on the CF, you do not need so much stuff that it would weight more than 8 KG. Sure, if you weigh more, assuming it's not because of excess fat but rather more bone and muscle, you could carry more and still be comfortable, but why would you?

item for Cruz de Ferro

There are enough rocks at cruz de ferro already so leave it at home. Don't even consider leaving anything but a rock. (If you must bring a rock, only rocks suitable for making building blocks are accepted)

What an interesting comment.

Could you expand on this?

Are we soon to see 'rock police' on duty ;)

And I'm not sure I know what types of rocks are suitable for building materials :oops:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What an interesting comment.

Could you expand on this?

Are we soon to see 'rock police' on duty ;)

And I'm not sure I know what types of rocks are suitable for building materials :oops:

Its a tongue in cheek remark (lets start a rumour). A rock suitable for building would have at the least the dimensions of a brick. SO if you're gonna carry a rock bring a ROCK.

I get that if you carry more you will need more room to put it into. But isn't the goal to carry only what you need and not 10%? Why would I carry more stuff just because I weigh more?

I don't need extra socks, undies, tshirts or pants just because I weigh more. The truth is that in good weather, May-September, even perhaps until mid-october, on the CF, you do not need so much stuff that it would weight more than 8 KG. Sure, if you weigh more, assuming it's not because of excess fat but rather more bone and muscle, you could carry more and still be comfortable, but why would you?
I'm having difficulty seeing where you are coming from here. You seem to be saying that larger people should have a smaller target weight for their pack because you have some pre-conceived notion that no-one should carry more than 8 kg. Are you also suggesting that only people who weigh less than 80 kg should do the camino? I just don't get your point here.

I'm having difficulty seeing where you are coming from here. You seem to be saying that larger people should have a smaller target weight for their pack because you have some pre-conceived notion that no-one should carry more than 8 kg. Are you also suggesting that only people who weigh less than 80 kg should do the camino? I just don't get your point here.
What? Not at all. All I am saying is that no matter what our size, we all need the same gear, so why would anyone carry more than the other just because they weigh more. The 10% "rule", considering that the average human is 80kg, makes your target bag 8kg. If one set of gear is good enough for a petite person, it should be good enough for a large, fit male. So the target should be the same, not higher for larger people. And for only people of a certain weight doing the Camino ... euhh... perhaps you would like to revist my last post? Something what is written is really really simple.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What? Not at all. All I am saying is that no matter what our size, we all need the same gear, so why would anyone carry more than the other just because they weigh more. The 10% "rule", considering that the average human is 80kg, makes your target bag 8kg. If one set of gear is good enough for a petite person, it should be good enough for a large, fit male. So the target should be the same, not higher for larger people. And for only people of a certain weight doing the Camino ... euhh... perhaps you would like to revist my last post? Something what is written is really really simple.
So now a large person is expected to wear the same sized clothing as a small person? Your point is still not making any sense to me.

I am not suggesting that larger people should take a larger number of things, just that if their weight target is proportional, recommending a particular sized pack just because it worked for you does not adequately account for any differences their might be because of the different weights of individuals.

Both times I have walked in Spain it has been in spring, and my bare pack has been about 15% or perhaps a little more of my ideal walking weight (BMI=25). It took a little time to get it there on my first camino, but was pretty much there at the start of my second camino. That was 11kg, and it was never going to be possible to fit it into anything much smaller than the 45 li pack that I carried on my second camino. Suggesting that I should have been able to use a 35 li pack would just be gratuitous nonsense.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So now a large person is expected to wear the same sized clothing as a small person? Your point is still not making any sense to me.

I am not suggesting that larger people should take a larger number of things, just that if their weight target is proportional, recommending a particular sized pack just because it worked for you does not adequately account for any differences their might be because of the different weights of individuals.

Both times I have walked in Spain it has been in spring, and my bare pack has been about 15% or perhaps a little more of my ideal walking weight (BMI=25). It took a little time to get it there on my first camino, but was pretty much there at the start of my second camino. That was 11kg, and it was never going to be possible to fit it into anything much smaller than the 45 li pack that I carried on my second camino. Suggesting that I should have been able to use a 35 li pack would just be gratuitous nonsense.
Tyuly, how much heavier is a large t-shirt vs a medium. And my compeeds don't weigh more, not my vaseline.

And considering my weight, according to you I should carry 4, 7, you tell me, because I do not have a BMI OF 23 or 25. Pure ridiculous and unlogical nonsense. The difference comes in selecting the right materials and bringing things that can have multiple uses.

Perhaps you should put out your list of stuff you bring and we could all have wonderful fun telling you where you are going wrong. After all, Al the Optimist is walking around with 4 kg at the moment, surely you are not going to suggest he cannot get by with less than your 11 kg, are you? Or are we just making up math here to justify not being able to lower one's bag?

Or are we just making up math here to justify not being able to lower one's bag?
There is no new math, as you so quaintly put it. It is based on the guidance so often repeated here to use a target of 10% of body mass for a summer camino. I walk in spring and allow myself a higher target. It is not rocket science. All I have done is applied that standard advice and pointed out that if you are going to suggest that people have a 10% target, it is foolish to suggest that everyone will be able to fit that comfortably into the same sized pack. The weight target for someone who is 80kg is 1/3 more than someone who is 60 kg. It needs a larger pack to accommodate the extra load at the same packing density.

What people take within any particular weight target is not the point here, it is the conflict that exists between the thinking that there is some consistency between the advice on weight targets and pack size. In most cases, the advice is inconsistent, as I have pointed out.

Otherwise we take your line, and suggest that people who weigh more should have a lower weight target. I really don't mind, given most of the advice relating to the 10% guidance is completely untraceable to any competent authority.

knit cap
baseball cap
boonie hat
One hat only and buy a Buff.
two bandanas
See Buff comment
two long sleeve shirts
one long sleeve t-shirt

Aim for 3 tops. One to wear, one to change into and a spare.
one pair long pants
two pair shorts
Three bottoms and no more
Reduce to 3
I have 5 pairs of Injinji toe socks rather than double socking.
boots
Make sure they are light!
teva sandals
rain jacket
rain cover for pack
I'm coming from the perspective of a summer Camino so feel free to ignore me here. How about a poncho which can act as pack cover and rain jacket for heavy rain with maybe a lighter jacket for drizzle.
sleep shorts
Your underwear is fine. You see some right royal sights in albergues!
pillow case
I brought a sarong which doubles up for bathroom use and if needed can be a pillowcase.
sleeping bag (<2 lbs)
Safety pins and about 3 pegs work. Buy a soap that you can use for clothes and yourself. Most albergues have sinks with built in washboards. Don't bother about the line. Just make sure you have something that you can clip your damp socks onto on your pack!
Band-Aids are useless for blisters. Buy a big roll of inch wide sports tape that can be used anywhere there is unwanted friction or pressure. Most of my tape is ending up on my shoulders to stop my shirt rubbing directly against my skin.
I personally like the spray on sunblock as it feels cold when you spray it on so you are more likely to use it.
Fixomull or the equivalent is something I recommend for blisters, grazes etc.

Get scissors that can be used as nail clippers.

water bottles (2 small)
This is completely dependent on time of the year and the route. I am currently using a 3l water bladder on the VDLP but it is June.
item for Cruz de Ferro
I hope you are using poles and I definitely recommend PacerPoles. Worth every expensive cent to import them from the UK.
A small chamois type towel is working well for me with a sarong combo. Think about a facecloth or something you can scrub your skin with
bag of gorp (if my limit allows) What is this?
photos of my children, my girlfriend, my mom - on your tablet only!
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 Sounds huge!

€46,-
Yeah Doug! Go Dougie...sic em...! He is correct on all counts regarding the relative heavier nature of clothing for a larger person. He and I have had similar discussions over the past few years and we both thought the issue was fairly settled. We held that big people's clothing logically weighs more than smaller peoples clothing.

Now comes a flat earth sort of contrarian. Well, Doug will sort them out... He keeps me honest and on topic...most of the time.

As a 183 cm, über stout fellow, I can attest to the fact that any single piece of my clothing from the feet up to the neck, weighs more than yours...period. Only head gear, and rain ponchos, being "one size fits all" much of the time is exempt from this rule of thumb. The only other possible "gimme" might be socks, as they tend to fit a size range.

But, my larger size trousers, underwear, shirts, fleece, rain parka, etc. will weigh more than the size used by a smaller person every time. My size 47 hiking boots likely weigh more than your size 40 or 42 boots. Across the board, the variance may only be a few grams or an ounce or two per item.

Finally, since my stuff is larger and weighs more, I must use a concomitantly larger volume and heavier rucksack. Where a smaller person with lighter stuff might use the 38 liter version of my rucksack, I must use the 48 liter version. The empty weight of the two bags varies by some 500 grams.

Doug has the weight-to-volume equation well sorted and set in the proverbial concrete. I've tested it at home, and it works. Nonetheless, I still pack waaay too much each time. But his equations are essentially correct. It is not his fault that I am an idiot...

However, as we often say to people who consistently regard their individual items as "weighing almost nothing," you would be surprised how quickly a rucksack full of gear that individually weighs "almost nothing" all of a sudden gains a lot of weight. I typically end up carrying from 3 - 6 kilos too much on every Camino, and I've done this three times.

Ivar even gives me his charitable "frequent idiots" discount. Over ten days in April, I actually sent him three medium boxes and one padded mailer. I actually took a photo of my "sins" once I got to my lodging.

I explain to anyone who asks that I am working very hard to prove Einsteins theory about the meaning of insanity. In a speech he gave while a professor at Princeton University, at Princeton, New Jersey, he is quoted as stating that: "to (his) mind, the definition of insanity is repeating the same action or experiment exactly the same way as previously, expecting that somehow, the result or outcome will be different the next time."

Yup, that's me, Saint James' happy, slightly insane, idiot...

Yeah Doug! Go Dougie...sic em...! He is correct on all counts regarding the relative heavier nature of clothing for a larger person. He and I have had similar discussions over the past few years and we both thought the issue was fairly settled. We held that big people's clothing logically weighs more than smaller peoples clothing.

Now comes a flat earth sort of contrarian. Well, Doug will sort them out... He keeps me honest and on topic...most of the time.

As a 183 cm, über stout fellow, I can attest to the fact that any single piece of my clothing from the feet up to the neck, weighs more than yours...period. Only head gear, and rain ponchos, being "one size fits all" much of the time is exempt from this rule of thumb. The only other possible "gimme" might be socks, as they tend to fit a size range.

But, my larger size trousers, underwear, shirts, fleece, rain parka, etc. will weigh more than the size used by a smaller person every time. My size 47 hiking boots likely weigh more than your size 40 or 42 boots. Across the board, the variance may only be a few grams or an ounce or two per item.

Finally, since my stuff is larger and weighs more, I must use a concomitantly larger volume and heavier rucksack. Where a smaller person with lighter stuff might use the 38 liter version of my rucksack, I must use the 48 liter version. The empty weight of the two bags varies by some 500 grams.

Doug has the weight-to-volume equation well sorted and set in the proverbial concrete. I've tested it at home, and it works. Nonetheless, I still pack waaay too much each time. But his equations are essentially correct. It is not his fault that I am an idiot...

However, as we often say to people who consistently regard their individual items as "weighing almost nothing," you would be surprised how quickly a rucksack full of gear that individually weighs "almost nothing" all of a sudden gains a lot of weight. I typically end up carrying from 3 - 6 kilos too much on every Camino, and I've done this three times.

Ivar even gives me his charitable "frequent idiots" discount. Over ten days in April, I actually sent him three medium boxes and one padded mailer. I actually took a photo of my "sins" once I got to my lodging.

I explain to anyone who asks that I am working very hard to prove Einsteins theory about the meaning of insanity. In a speech he gave while a professor at Princeton University, at Princeton, New Jersey, he is quoted as stating that: "to (his) mind, the definition of insanity is repeating the same action or experiment exactly the same way as previously, expecting that somehow, the result or outcome will be different the next time."

Yup, that's me, Saint James' happy, slightly insane, idiot...
You poor man, I most likely weigh more than you, therefor my bad should be heavier than yours, and yet it isn't. Things that weigh in my back do not come in fidderent sizes: toilettries, laundry stuff, sleeping bag. I just make sure my clothes are light. Weigh your items and see where the weight comes from, and then when you go shopping online look at e differnece in weight between sizes. Foloowing you logic a size 8 or 10 woman should be carrying 5 kg or so, putti g her well under the10% guideline. And it's funny, in the picture of Al the Optimist we saw a few days ago he looked fully clothed, and hés not a small man either and he is getting by with 4kg. Could not have done it unless he cut down on the items he has taken.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Al the Optimist we saw a few days ago he looked fully clothed, and he's not a small man either and he is getting by with 4kg
Al has done a good job of reducing his load. However, he does summer caminos without a sleeping bag or rain gear, and his 4 kg does not include snacks and water.

Obviously big clothes will weigh more and take more space than small clothes. By any calculations (the 10% rule, Doug's volume density, whatever) anyone is going to "need" 4 to 8 kg of gear, in a 25 to 45 L pack.

Foloowing you logic a size 8 or 10 woman should be carrying 5 kg or so, putti g her well under the10% guideline. [sic]
Actually, that doesn't follow at all. The logic is based on using 10% of ideal walking weight as the target for bare pack weight, so it doesn't matter whether one is a size 8, 10 or 12, small, medium or large. If you are overweight or obese, use you BMI=25 equivalent weight as your (ideal) walking weight rather than your actual weight.

I don't like the 10% guidance very much. It works for summer, but is not really useful for other seasons. But given it is so bound up in the mythology of this forum, it is hard not to use it as a reference point. If one does use it, your point that not everything will be proportional to body mass is entirely valid, but no-one has come up with a replacement that addresses this yet.

Hello, I am also doing my first camino in september, counting days now...
So thank you for posting this ! All advice are welcome
Maybe we bump into each other along the way :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Al is, as some of us sometimes say "going commando" on his current Camino. He carefully planned to reduce his entire kit to a waist hiking pack, which I believe has lightweight shoulder straps. I recall that for clothing, he has what he is wearing, plus one change of shirt, underwear and socks. As someone mentioned above, he deleted a sleeping bag and rain gear. Even for an ultra light-weight aficionado, this reduces his carry weight by about 1.5 kg. The rest of Al's weight savings is coming from just not taking stuff - like he pared it to the bare essentials. I do not know what his final carried weight was. We will have to wait for his post-Camino report.

I, among many other veteran pilgrims, are keenly awaiting for Al's pronouncement on this style of doing a Camino. However, I rather doubt it would work in April, May, October or November, largely because of the colder temperatures, increased precipitation and real chance of snow at least at elevation.

This reminds me of a scene from my first pilgrimage in 2013 on the Camino Frances. Along the way, in Hontanas I believe, I encountered a three person group (two men, one woman) who were running the Camino, in reverse, from Santiago to St. Jean Pied de Port.

They all wore lightweight running shorts, running shoes, short socks, t-shirts or shirts with no sleeves and a ball cap style running hat. Each person wore a waist belt with two small water bottles and a tiny pouch to carry valuables and a mobile phone in. They split their first aid supplies amongst them group.

Each person carried a single Buff. The Buff was their towel for use at albergues. Someone in the group I was walking with asked them if that was all they had. Their reply was: "Yes, of course. What more do we need?" No mention of mochila transport was made, and I have never heard of this service working in reverse.

It takes 30 days, mas o menas to walk the Frances. Even if it takes 1/2 that time (two weeks +/-) to run it, that is still a lot of time in the same abbreviated clothing. One hopes they stayed in private lodging and not albergues, as they had no clothes other than what they were carrying, which was nil.

I still do not know whether to just assume they had some sort of assistance to tote their real clothing each day, or they were truly daft.

Most people over pack the first time on Camino. I surely did - and ended up mailing home a 2kg parcel only a few days in. You will quickly know if your pack weight is jeopardizing your trek. But it would be better to whittle it down off the bat. And to that end, you've received some good suggestions from the peregrinas above.

The only thing I can add is with regard to the pillow case. I am in the camp that says to bring something to cover the often-dubious Albergue pillow. I brought a stretchy infinity scarf that could handle any shape pillow. European pillows are not the same dimension as North American. The infinity scarf was wonderfully soft too and ended up being one of my favourite pieces of kit.
What is an infinity scarf? Sounds like a good solution to the questionable Albergue pillows. I don't leave until Sept, but am preparing my backpack now to practice (have been doing the walking for a month, but now time to train with the pack). Thanks

What is an infinity scarf? Sounds like a good solution to the questionable Albergue pillows. I don't leave until Sept, but am preparing my backpack now to practice (have been doing the walking for a month, but now time to train with the pack). Thanks
As far as I know, it is a scarf that is joined at the ends - often worn looped twice around the neck.

So, you would have me bare my soul. So be it.
An Osprey Exos 38, a more appropriate sized pack, will save you 1 lb 11 oz over your 50. Other lightweight packs could do even better. You aren't going on a 30 day hike, but 30 1-day hikes. You will not be in the wilderness most of the time. There will be opportunities to pick up anything you need along the way.

An Osprey Exos 38, a more appropriate sized pack, will save you 1 lb 11 oz over your 50. Other lightweight packs could do even better. You aren't going on a 30 day hike, but 30 1-day hikes. You will not be in the wilderness most of the time. There will be opportunities to pick up anything you need along the way.
Brian is right, there are opportunities to pick up most things you need, but be aware that stores in many smaller towns and villages may have a quite limited range of products, and they will not be open all the time. I always carry a small reserve, particularly of blister treatment supplies and some re-hydration salts, to make sure I am not caught out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also prefer to be fully equipped and not be looking for a pharmacy when I need one.
Yes! One sensible person! Or else all we hear is "you can always buy medicine in Spain". Not on Sundays. You need the first response kit whatever that includes in your case.

Leave the corckscreew at home wine is inexpensive in bars and restaurants, consime there and allow the local economy to thrive a bit.
Its even cheaper in shops (record low price I got was 0,93 euro for 0,75l bottle). Also a contribution to local economy, if thats what they ask, thats what I pay, didn't bargain in supermarket. Plus there are stretches without bars or restaurants and a plastic bottle with wine is heaven sent.

Ok, so I am preparing for my first Camino Frances in September and assembled all my gear today, packed it to my pack, and weighed the bugger. I have exceeded the 10% body weight rule by several pounds! So, I served myself a glass of wine, said a few choice curse words, and took a few essentials out of the equation. After eliminating one critical pair of underwear (leaving 3 for the trip), ditching a pair of socks (how important are feet?), leaving out the small pack of blessed wet-wipes, switching an old, threadbare fleece anorak for a new fluffy one (4 oz savings), and leaving out half of my t-shirt allotment (two), I have lessened my load by 1 lb, 2 oz. Not enough! So, out goes the headlamp, even though I have terrible night vision and have actually sat on two people on two different occasions in movie theatres (the dude got a bit upset), saving a couple of ounces (no pre-dawn venturing forth). No rain gaiters, so I am condemned to wet feet in Galicia. Still, not enough. What else? Everything else in the pack seems absolutely necessary to the civilized person I imagine myself to be. For God's sake, I will be five weeks on the Way! Do I need to do something secondary, like gain weight to bring my allowable pack weight up? What? Is the point of walking the Camino to actually give up practically everything? What are some items other Pilgrims have thought they absolutely needed, but didn't. Help![/QUOTE

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You've received much good advice here. I would reinforce a couple of things. You don't need a sleeping bag--only a silk liner. Most albergues have blankets if you need one. And if you are cold you can sleep in your clothes for the next day. Then you don't even have to spend time dressing early in the morning and in the dark. The second thing I would reinforce is take your smart phone. (Mine is iPhone). You can put your pictures on it, it has the only flashlight you will need. You can use it as your camera--it weighs less than my small camera and charger. Some purists don't take a cell phone. I didn't my first two Caminos. But on my second one I got sick. I wished for a communication device when recuperating in a cheap hotel so I could reassure my family. It's going with me this year. Spain is a first world country and leave things behind that you could buy there if needed.

I found the book: To Walk Far, Carry Less, by Jean-Christie Ashmore, to be very helpful.

Hi Mooncat, Mari, Movinmaggie and Albertagirl (for October) -

One essential that needs to be ADDED to the list is your Forum badge to be sewn on to your backpack. There are going to be many, many Forum members on the Camino this September and how fantastic will it be to see that familiar badge - what a wonderful conversation starter this badge is. We also get to support Ivar too by buying the badge - his genius in starting this much-needed online resource in the first place and his generosity in evolving it over the years is something I admire so much and am so grateful for.
Cheers and Buen Camino!

Ronhenry2, Are you sure about the sleeping bag for Sept-Oct? Since the one I have is so small and only weighs 1 lb 10 oz, it is not much bother to carry. But, I value the advice of veteran trekkers. Thank you. Mooncat

Ronhenry2, Are you sure about the sleeping bag for Sept-Oct? Since the one I have is so small and only weighs 1 lb 10 oz, it is not much bother to carry. But, I value the advice of veteran trekkers. Thank you. Mooncat
Noting that I have walked in early spring, not September, I have and will continue to carry a sleeping bag and liner. I think it should be possible to walk without a bag, but it still has the potential to limit your options to places that can provide blankets. I have never found just sleeping in my clothes provides sufficient warmth for a reasonable night's sleep, and there were places that didn't provide blankets or had overflow arrangements that didn't include blankets.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm with Doug and Annie - definitely take your sleeping bag - then you're prepared for all weathers. Occasionally you might find a shortage of blankets if it's cold and it's miserable not being able to sleep because you can't get warm enough. Your sleeping bag is such a comfort to settle down into after a long day on those wonderful ancient paths - you feel so cocooned in its softness thinking about your day and the experiences you had as you drop off to sleep - it's an essential IMO.
Best wishes and cheers - Jenny

Also support taking the bag. You can kick it off if too hot. I never was. More - after I washed my hair, dried it with towel (no hair driers there), for afternoon naps I wrapped up in everything I had: clothes, fleece hoody (hood over my head to absorb moisture), sleeping bag, blanket and was only so so warm. A few days ago, mid June. We also had heat wave of 34*C in May.

Great replies - my turn! Put the first aid kit back in, and the wet wipes! (only what you NEED in the first aid kit). Add toilet paper. Locking nappy pins (diaper pins). Make sure you have a corkscrew too, a linen napkin, a knife, and a spoon (how else will you eat yoghurt on the trail or cut sausage?). (Napkin is for lunch under a tree, for soaking to use to cool you down, for use as a body flannel - a must have!).

The 'problem' you have with your packing is that you have the "what I might need" thing in your head - don't worry, this is quite usual. Here is the thing - there are shops in Spain! True, there really are, so if you need something you will be able to buy it - so ..

you need to take something light that will keep you warm if it is cold, something to keep you dry if it rains (Altus poncho - light and covers pack so you don't need the pack rain cover!).
For trousers think zip-offs - both shorts and trousers in one!

Now - you have one head, one body, one pair of feet - you will be wearing a set of clothes. When they get dirty you will take them off and wash them, say every few days or longer, hanging them out to dry - even pinning them to your rucksack the next day if necessary (so the nappy pins). You will have taken the spare set out of your rucksack to put on after your shower, so, one set being worn, one set drying on the line - so who are all the other clothes for????????
You have one head - take one hat.
One pair of feet - take two pairs of socks .................. you see where this is going? Of course you do - enjoy your re-packing

Buen Camino ;)

p.s. don't forget to weigh your rucksack!

Last edited:

€60,-
Add toilet paper. ... a linen napkin ... (Napkin is for lunch under a tree, for soaking to use to cool you down, for use as a body flannel - a must have!).
The WCs have paper and in occasional need for the bush you can use the paper napkin from bar that you wiped your lips in. Remember to keep it. You get one-two per day and most probably will not need that many.
Linen napkin - no. For lunch under the tree more useful was the sit-upon pad. Also for sitting on cold/wet stone benches. To cool down use the warmer water from your bottle (pour directly over the head) and refill the bottle from the tap or fuente with colder water. No risk of catching cold.

Not even a small stone? :(

€60,-
oh dear, are there really no romantics left???????????????
Hey, you started it, its you who didn't say that the napkin is needed for waving from the castle tower to signal the location of Rapuntzel!

e
essential item to leave behind: cell phone ;)

That was probably my most important item!

Sure I used it to call to book accommodation..... But also:

It kept me in touch with my wife via Skype who was nursing my sick father in law in hospital. And gave her reassurance that I could be easily reached if she needed me.
It was my stills camera.
It was my video camera.
It was my Dictaphone for recording my blog posts.
It provided family back home with a means of checking my progress via GPS (family tracker)
It was a handy map at times (google maps)
It contained the pdf versions of my guidebooks.
It allowed me to find medical support when I needed it (3 times)
It was my flashlight.
It was a means of contacting my camino family to arrange meet ups via Whats App.
It provided a number where I could be reached in case of emergency back home. (No one called. But they at least could have)
It provided my favourite music tracks that made a couple of days walking alone an awesome experience.
I could go on.....and on......and on.

Guess what?

We all walk our Camino in different ways :)

essential item to leave behind: cell phone

That is the most dangerous advice. If anybody wants to go Medieval, do it, but don't drag innocent others into stupidity. Ever occurred why early albergues were called hospitals and how the contemporary meaning of the word evolved? Do you know the survival rate in those times? And why the hospitals had an obligation to give shelter till the end of their lives to pilgrims who couldn't continue the way and didn't go bankrupt, because the timespan was so short. Now one person out of hundreds of thousands is missing (and btw didn't have a phone) and the whole world is worried, then death on the Camino was the norm.
What you use your phone for is up to you, your free will, no phone ever jumped in anybody's hand and forced them to make an unwanted call.

€149,-
Thank you ALL, very much! The sleeping bag remains in, and except for one change of clothes, repeated items are out. My pack weight is very comfortable now. I do believe I am all set for my first Camino. I have backpacked before, but only for several days at a time, so there was not a need to do laundry. And, my usual camping is car camping, with all my "stuff". This will be quite different: trekking, individual day hikes x 30. Something completely new for me. See you on the trail. Mooncat

oh dear, are there really no romantics left???????????????
Sorry David, you appear to be tilting at windmills here. Linen? Really, far too much class for me! I do carry a large cotton square, somewhat larger than a normal handkerchief that serves as hankie, neckerchief, sweatband or even as napkin for that impromptu picnic feast on the side of the road.

Sorry David, you appear to be tilting at windmills here. Linen? Really, far too much class for me! I do carry a large cotton square, somewhat larger than a normal handkerchief that serves as hankie, neckerchief, sweatband or even as napkin for that impromptu picnic feast on the side of the road.
Romance, linen, impromptu picnic feasts... Only a pair of double damask dinner napkins.

Waving from castle towers, tilting at windmills - so many uses I hadn't even thought of! Must admit that the napkin thing is a personal thing. I did try going for thinner but linen seems to do the job better, that thickness allows it to be used as a shower flannel and so on.
The romantic thing, for me, is this - when I was a child, trapped in a poor part of London I used to watch the children's films on our black and white valve TV. Seemed to me that in every adventure these posh kids (they were always well spoken posh kids) would be out in the country somewhere, staying with a mysterious uncle. They would come across some plot, an anarchist with a bomb or similar, and in their treks across the countryside they'd would eventually meet a ' gentleman of the road' sitting on a grass verge or under a tree in a field and looking at the wonderful view. He always seemed to be wearing an old black suit with a colourful waistcoat and a battered top hat and he was always having lunch! A napkin laid out over his knees and some crusty bread with cheese and sausage, a sharp knife to cut the sausage and with a bottle of Brown Ale by his side - and I Always thought " I want to be him!" - so the napkin! Mine is died brown of course, and to me it is indispensable !!!

(Later my hero was Friar Tuck, and then Francis of Assisi)

Waving from castle towers, tilting at windmills - so many uses I hadn't even thought of! Must admit that the napkin thing is a personal thing. I did try going for thinner but linen seems to do the job better, that thickness allows it to be used as a shower flannel and so on.
The romantic thing, for me, is this - when I was a child, trapped in a poor part of London I used to watch the children's films on our black and white valve TV. Seemed to me that in every adventure these posh kids (they were always well spoken posh kids) would be out in the country somewhere, staying with a mysterious uncle. They would come across some plot, an anarchist with a bomb or similar, and in their treks across the countryside they'd would eventually meet a ' gentleman of the road' sitting on a grass verge or under a tree in a field and looking at the wonderful view. He always seemed to be wearing an old black suit with a colourful waistcoat and a battered top hat and he was always having lunch! A napkin laid out over his knees and some crusty bread with cheese and sausage, a sharp knife to cut the sausage and with a bottle of Brown Ale by his side - and I Always thought " I want to be him!" - so the napkin! Mine is died brown of course, and to me it is indispensable !!!

(Later my hero was Friar Tuck, and then Francis of Assisi)

I find a towel does most of these things. Additionally you can dip a corner of a towel into the soup and then suck on it later.

I carried a camping stove did not use it much. Perhaps in winter would have used it for hot brews. i cooked a few times with it on the lepuy to sjpd.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.