• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Essential Oils for Bedbugs?

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
Has anyone been successful in using non-toxic sprays,like those made from essential oils, for spraying their gear to prevent bedbugs? Thanking you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone been successful in using non-toxic sprays
How would you know if the spray was successful? Many people walk both with spray and without spray, and never see evidence of bedbugs. One could conduct a survey of all the pilgrims who sprayed with A, B, or C, and determine whether one group had fewer encounters than another. That would be some evidence. However, that has not been done (at least I haven't seen any report of it) and the anecdotal evidence you might get would mainly support whatever your favourite theory is.

If you Google "essential oil bedbugs" you will find some articles that say they don't work (those are the articles that describe and document actual experiments) and you will find some articles that bluntly state that essential oils DO work, but they don't give any evidence.

Sorry to be a bit cynical! There are several threads on this forum that have debated this topic.

Why do you bother to reply if you aren't able to move beyond cynicism?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I guess it wasn't the greatest response, but I tried to communicate the difficulty of making a decision about what bedbug avoidance approach to take. There are very conflicting opinions and there seems to be no simple solution.

I've always used a combination of 50 drops each of lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus with a bit of water. We had an bed bug rampage in our apartment building and I sprayed this everywhere in my suite and no bed bugs passed my threshold!!!!! Not sure if I was just lucky or......I like to think it worked.

I've always used a combination of 50 drops each of lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus with a bit of water. We had an bed bug rampage in our apartment building and I sprayed this everywhere in my suite and no bed bugs passed my threshold!!!!! Not sure if I was just lucky or......I like to think it worked.
It was worth trying and I'm sure it did no harm. I would try just about anything if faced with a rampage!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The response was totally scientific and realistic. Any other replies are mere speculation and anecdotal. You can believe anything you like, but facts are harder to come by.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I think she DID move beyond cynicism, but her statements have value. You can't know what works best if you don't encounter bed bugs OR if there is no real documentation about whether essential oils work. Anecdotal evidence is fine, but I didn't use either, and didn't encounter bed bugs. That doesn't mean there aren't bugs, nor does it mean that using nothing will be the best way to go.

I agree with C Clearly.
There is nothing to suggest essential oils work repelling bedbugs except a few people who have used the oils and have not been bitten.
Chances are they wouldn't have been bitten anyway.
Not everyone gets bitten.
In fact, most people never see a bedbug.

There are threads upon threads upon threads about this topic if you do a search of the forum.

I always suggest people look at this blog, which shows you exactly what to look for - then if you spot bedbug sign, you simply ask for your money back and move on, not taking a chance.
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

I used to use a mosquito repellant on the beds, but even that is not really necessary if you just look closely for bedbug sign.
If they're there, you'll almost always see their sign, unless they were brought in within the last few days.

The biggest problem I see with using essential oils in an albergue is that other people have to smell them.
Not everyone loves the smell.
And to some people like me, they are poison, causing migraine and 4 days of flu-like aches and pains.
Especially if they happen to be on the bed I get the night after you!

Has anyone been successful in using non-toxic sprays,like those made from essential oils, for spraying their gear to prevent bedbugs? Thanking you in advance for taking the time to reply.

And btw, for me and some others, "non-toxic" sprays are not necessarily non-toxic.
Even organic essential oils are often made using chemicals.
I am extremely sensitive to florals, even those I love the scent of.
Personally, I believe anything with a strong fragrance should be left at home if you're not paying for private lodging.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know everyone want to use non-chemical approaches to controlling bedbugs. I did. Who wants permethrin on all their stuff. The problem is these approaches do not work and folks who use them are at risk of spreading more bedbugs because the *think* they are protected and chalk up itching to heat rash, mosquitoes or spiders!

1. Here is a link to a recent article on essential oils and bedbugs.
2. Herbs don't work either and I can say as a past hopsitalera that spreading herbs on your bed makes a BIG mess. Please don't do this!

The only bed bug preventatives that has been shown to be effective is permethrin or similar pesticides. Natural approaches to getting rid of them once you have them are heat and freezing.

Here is a great, science-based article about bedbugs.

My advice: Know what telltale bedbug traces look like and do not stay at a place if you see evidence of bedbugs. If you think you have bedbugs, tell the hopsitalero at your next albergue. If they are responsible they will help you get rid of them. I was a hospitalera at Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal del Camino. We had a whole procedure for helping pilgrims including spare clothes for them to wear while we laundered everything for them. Finally don't panic. Bedbugs are irritating and distressing but they are more of an inconvenience than anything else. They do not transmit diseases. And if you get them, you can get rid of them.

Liz

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm an epidemiologist, so I liked the first response. It's okay to ask for anecdotes - that's what most of us do in this forum - but anecdotes do not equal data. I also support the person who said that some people are offended by "essential oils." Think what it would be like if everybody in the place was spraying essential oils. Aggg!
This is a discussion for another place probably, but I think it's important to note that just because something is "natural" does not mean it's non-toxic. Many, many natural plants and animals make their own toxins for protection. Arsenic, rattlesnake venom, even green tomato leaves, etc, etc. And of course chrysanthemum pyrethrum, which is the pesticide we KNOW is effective against bedbugs.

I think it is important to realize that a lot of people believe that essential oils have properties that have not been scientifically quantified. You can believe what you like, however I prefer facts and I too am cynical of many claims surrounding essential oils.

I am even more the cynic because I am currently suffering statutory nuisance problems because of some marijuana growers belief in unproven medical properties of essential oils derived from marijuana. Yeah right ... stoned out of their minds so of course they feel no pain ... that still doesn't make it medicine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was very fortunate that I did not encounter bed bugs myself, however last year I meet a fellow pilgrim was had been bitten the night before and was so upset she was ready to go home. I treated her bites with tea tree oil and a few hours later she was as good as gold and back on track.

I have never come across bedbugs knowingly, but I have used essential oils as a deterrent against mosquitoes and other biting bugs. Also I make my own pesticide for garden use. This contains garlic and chilli peppers as well as essential oils of eucalyptus, rosemary, lavender and tea-tree (all already mentioned on this thread) It would be worth making a solution without the garlic (too smelly!) and trying it if you come across bedbugs. If you are spraying your own sleeping bag - I don't see why that would be a problem. After all - many people spray hairsprays and other products about willy-nilly causing those sensitive to chemicals to recoil in horror...! Spraying your own bag would be done as a preventative I suppose - no point getting bitten before using it... And as someone already pointed out - the only 'tested' definite killer of bedbugs is a rather pretty flower called pyrethrum....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And btw, for me and some others, "non-toxic" sprays are not necessarily non-toxic.
Even organic essential oils are often made using chemicals.
I am extremely sensitive to florals, even those I love the scent of.
Personally, I believe anything with a strong fragrance should be left at home if you're not paying for private lodging.

Toxicity is about dosage, not the substance. Water is toxic if you drink too much, as is salt. Too much of a good thing, and all that. Organic oils are chemical, but are extracted rather than manufactured.

I would certainly endorse not spraying anything overly fragrant in a common area (shared sleeping quarters), as not everyone may enjoy that scent.

Who wants permethrin on all their stuff.
ME. Why not? It wears off in 2 months. And meanwhile come and bite me. All bugs dead not simply distracted as to where the dinner is served - that is what the smelly oils could possibly do, redirect them to a less smelly pilgrim.

Hi All,

This is a really long thread and I haven't read though it completely. What I did read didn't include references to Pine Tar soap. Pine tar has been used for centuries to repel all kinds of biting bugs - the ones that live in beds included. In the most dangerously mosquito infested places on earth, it's pine tar, not chemicals that is used to protect folks in the wild. For protection against all kinds of biting bugs, a good strategy is to wash with pine tar soap daily. It's not as effective as skin coating with liquified pine ash, but it's still pretty useful. Just be prepared to smell like a forest fire. I am coating my gear with permethrin, sleeping in a insect repellent cool max liner, and bringing a small bar of pine tar soap in my pack. Here are a few links:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAL0EA/?tag=casaivar02-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NRT07O/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife had a reaction to bed bug bites, acquired in several locations,- open sores - so we went to the 'Farmacia' in Tardajos.
The pharmacist gave my wife something to help heal the sores and Tea Tree oil as a mild repellent. All I can say is that we weren't bitten again.

I would 'Google' health concerns with Permethrin before using it on anything that comes in contact with your skin.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But you do not use permethrin on anything that does come in contact with skin. Its simple.

But you do not use permethrin on anything that does come in contact with skin.
From the ExOfficio line of clothing:

Why BugsAway Clothing?

BugsAway® apparel with Insect Shield® technology is a revolutionary tool to aid you in the battle against insects that can carry insect-borne diseases. With odorless and invisible insect protection, the only way to tell it’s there is that the bugs aren’t biting. The built-in insect repellent Permethrin provides a carefree outdoor experience, letting you focus on your adventure, not the bugs.

It won't get closer to skin contact than shirts and pants!

Permethrin, used as it is intended, is quite safe. This isn't anecdotal. There has been extensive research and the EPA does not even warn pregnant women not to use clothing that contains it. Essential oils, on the other hand, I don't think there is much research at all on whether it is effective (or even safe, for that matter). When you use a regulated product, you can be sure of the ingredients. When you use a "natural" remedy, you really don't know the dose or what all the ingredients are. A number of products in health food stores have been found to contain lead or arsenic, to cause liver damage and/or other health problems. Because there is no requirement - at least in the USA - to conduct clinical research on them, we only find out the dangers when people start getting sick. I'm not saying that essential oils are risky... most don't seem to be (though I don't like the smell of many of them and some people do have allergies to them). My point is that it makes more sense to trust information about a product that has been thoroughly tested before going on the market than one that a friend or a clerk in a natural foods store tells you is safe and effective.

This being said, bedbugs don't seem to be a big problem on the Camino, from what I've read. We're probably overthinking this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a very good example of each to their own - if you like essential oils you will use them and if you are happy with industrial chemicals you will use them. There are a lot of threads on this subject - I include a link to one which I found helpful and a link to a site giving a balanced view of some 'natural' options that are available. I liked the advice that bed bugs affect a minority of pilgrims and that there is no point obsessing about them. Take a few reasonable precautions and hope for the best - that's what I intend to do.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-truth-about-bed-bugs.30197/

http://herbalhealthcare-daw.blogspot.co.il/2013/05/bed-bug-repellents.html

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back