• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Essentials to know when going between June and September

na2than

Time of past OR future Camino
(2012)(2013)
These seem to be the high volume walking months , this is a start of things to help new pilgrims with some basic information and expectations.

a)Spain will be hot,but at some stage it will rain on you.
b)blisters are caused by a mixture of heat ,sweat and friction
c)the Camino has good enough infrastructure to provide ALL that you need
d)you will see more sun rises than sun sets
e)all nations are welcome regardless of faith
f)the route is well marked,and the locals love to help you
g)the camino is a set of long day hikes strung together,pack accordingly

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
a)The temp in Northern Spain between June and Sept will vary from warm to searchingly hot(40c).High tech walking gear will not stop you sweating but it will dry much quicker each night when you wash it.
It will at some stage rain...Galicia is a green and moist area of Spain.During the summer a light rain jacket and pack cover are good enough.Ponchos will cover you and your pack,but look silly sitting in a bar at night.You can buy a poncho for 10 euro in Roncesvalles(flip flops 4 euros).You will not need gators or waterproof trousers.A fleece or hoody is good for the morning chill in the hills and if you get cold in the evenings.The toll on your body of walking all day in the heat can make you feel cold in the evening!

b)In the summer months think twice about footwear.Most of the trail drains well even after rain.A pair of trail runners will suffice...Gortex is fine if you already have it unnecessary.Remember a kilo on your feet equates to 5 kilo in your pack...so think light.Your feet will swell so start the camino by wearing 2 pairs of socks...When you walk down hill your feet push forward(toe jam)..block your laces as needed to prevent this.Take regular breaks and slip of your shoes and socks.If you cam lay back and prop up your feet on your pack to even up blood flow.Take extra socks and change them half way through your walking day...sweaty socks and feet result in blisters

25 days out of the usual 33 are no more than long summers walk in the countryside...you do not need heavy walking boots.8 days will have you going up and down big hills..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
c) the camino will provide;This is a tough one...you need to trust in your self,others and the camino itself.There are banks and ATM all along the route but take out enough cash to do you in case either are closed for a couple of days.Generally credit cards will be of limited use when buying 5 euros of food in a 6 house village up in the hills.Along the way you will find supermarkets both large and small,chemists(pharmacy), and general stores to replenish anything you need .There are hundreds of albergues on the route, during the summer they are busy but no need to panic...plan to arrive at your destination by 2pm and finding a bed should be ok...always have a plan B just in case.From Sarria to Santiago...budget 20 euros a night for a bed,buddy up with someone and grab a room in bed and breakfasts.This removes the stress of finding beds and gives you the luxury of clean sheets and a private bathroom.

Spain is a modern country just like wherever you come from,they even sell pacer poles if you need them

d)the summer months are hot;start your day early(6am).Have a coffee and maybe find a pastry, walk a bit then have a second breakfast(possibly a boccadilo..sandwich).A light lunch followed by getting into an albergue.Do whatever washing you need to do...then the afternoon is your own.Explore,do your journal...attend to your feet,have a siesta, drink a beer...whatever takes your fancy...relax!Pilgrims tend to eat early(7pm ish).After dinner collect your washing from wherever you hung it out and pack for the next morning.Many albegues lock thier doors at 10 pm and lights out by 10.30...gives you 7/8 hours of snore interrupted sleep(take ear plugs)If you wake early try not to disturb others with million lumen head torches

e)the camino is open to all;you will find stats on this forum that show that most nations are represented on the camino although the majority come from continental Europe.In the summer the average age of walkers is lower because of the college/school vacations.Whilst a couple of phrases of Spanish are good to know you do not need to be in anyway fluent(God loves a tryer).Some have found the role of St James as regards the Muslims to be shall we say "difficult".He is also known as James the moors slayer.The area you walk through of Spain is not very ethnically diverse,there are some Romanian gypsies along the way.I met Morrocan shepherds,and most towns have oriental markets.One thing my son noticed was the almost total absence of black people...both walking and living in Northern Spain...there is a thread on this on the forum.You can walk alone and be safe ,you can walk as part of a loose knit camino family...or you can walk with your best friend from kindergarden. Generally others will help you if you need help,conversely you should endeavor to help others if the opportunity arises.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you very much. Your post is timely, very helpful and assuring to me. I was considering changing my foot ware, not to wear boots, even thought about using five fingers, they are super light weight, I love them, but my locale REI staff recommended Hiking boots for ankle support. I have done hiking, but nothing like this in long and hot summer. Sweat and swollen feet should be considered.

Na2than,

Thankyou for this post. I just recently changed my walk from the first of September to the first of August and i appreciate this synopsis.

Youren,

I plan on bringing my hiking boots, however, i have been cross country hiking in my Vibrams for quite a few years and have found they have strengthened my ankles. I still turn my ankles in my boots but never in my Vibrams. My goal is to wear them primarily and save my boots for rainy and muddy conditions. On another thread, hiking sandals were also recommended for the flat areas so my Tevas will be coming too~

I would love to read feedback from others who have walked the Camino in Vibrams!

I'm starting in Leon mid-June...I've been searching the internet and in here for weather issues...so...yes to expecting some rainy days?? gaiters or not? temps? I know it's all variable, but I can't seem to find even a prediction! :oops: Thanks for any help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dawntreader
I did hear that wearing Vibram strengthening leg muscles, ankles and etc. I have been wearing more of it during regular walks, hoping to get those benefits before leaving home, but wearing boots when carrying my pack. So far, could only do once a week. The boots weight more than a pound and a half, when we wear Vibram, it adds weight on our back, therefore, I am still hesitated to take Vibram with me.

Kristenlp no gaiters for sure.

I think i may run into rain when cross Pyrenees in early June, then probably the last leg into Garlicia, even in middle of July. So can not give up my boots in the middle, but carrying it or mail it to some point when close to Garlicia. I do not know how much will cost mail a 2 pound package. Maybe you do not mind too much about the weight of your bag?

I am leaning towards wearing New balance shoes, or Moab ventilator shoes, both of them non water proof, but supposedly dry quickly. They are lesser weight. If it is down pouring, then Teva sandals. I just ordered New Balance 889 multisports shoes and Moab hiking shoes with discounted prices, have not receive them yet. REI membership discount last till April 7. Hiking boots are not completely water proof in heavy rain anyway. With the reduced weight, I can carry a pair of Z series trekking poles to secure the footing, protect ankle and knee in a way. What do you think?

Thank you for this post- seems like walking in the summer is much different than the other seasons, yet it is hardly addressed. I will begin walking in the first week of June. Since I am anticipating it being hot I am not planning on bringing a sleeping bag- just a sleeping bag liner. Will I regret this and wish I had brought a sleeping bag? What do you recommend?

I walked last year May 28-July4. I took two silk liners and put one inside the other if it was cool. This is US Marine Corp philosophy: Pack light, freeze at night. I never froze! HaHa!! There were only a couple nights when I needed extra warmth and those nights I just wore my lightweight fleece and socks to bed. It was enough. On two if those nights someone left a window open, so the cold could have been avoided. Some albergues also have blankets. Just ask, if you think the night will warrant it. Overall, I was so happy I didn't have a sleeping bag to lug around and mess with. I would have had about four weeks of unnecessary weight. Once again, whatever you decide to take or not take, the Camino will provide what you need. Until you experience it, it is a hard concept to grasp, yet true.
Buen Camino- Monica :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you I really enjoyed your post, especially e. I am walking with my friend from Kindergarten from Roncesvalles on the 4th September. So much was reassuring but the Boots still have me worrying, though I don't think I will change my mind with my choice and I will take walking sandals and socks, boy they really are a problem and 2 pairs I understand the reason but what I have are pretty thick?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back