• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Establishing a CGG (Camino Gourmet Guide)

P

PANO

Several threads about good food and wine along the Camino have opened lively discussions.
While peregrinos are commonly known as a frugal specie, there are many who would love to combine their camino with the exploration of Spain’s rich culinary culture and diversity in great wines. A CGG would not only be helpful but very popular for sure.

What would be a practical approach to create such a guide? It should be….
- up-to-date and easily accessible (No better place than this forum to embed it, what do you think, Ivar?)
- reliable and contributed by bona-fide peregrinos (forum-members?)

Similarly to the Michelin guide, it should contain a simple classification, like….
- one «pilgrim-staff» (PG) = tasty, seasonal freshly cooked local specialities, good selection of local wines, «worth-while to make a stop»

- two PG’s = above average, aspirational, regional cuisine, interesting wine list, «worth-while a small detour»

- three PG’s = a «must» on the camino, featuring the very best of regional haute cuisine, exquisite wines, «worth-while to do the camino again»

- ex category, no classification (something like the Michelin BIP) = best peregrino menu, with fresh vegetables, agreeable table wine

Please contribute your ideas, suggestions regarding the criteria of classification, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My initial reaction is to jump right in and start naming names.

Armed with restraint I offer this. Some foods or wines are experienced outside of restaurants and are not exclusive to them. For an example I will use Cabrales Blue Cheese.

There might be a category that recognizes the food rather than the restaurant where it is found.

Can't wait to participate in the final version.

There is one place in Logrono I would never miss and it is not in the tapas laneways,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Instead of ratings of good, better and best, we could focus on the uniqueness of the offerings and have parallel rating systems for both the connoisseur and the very unsophisticated consumer. For example, either letter codes or check-boxes under columns for: Traditional style, Regional specialty, Expensive, Bargain, Adventurous. A notes column could have extra information and there would be a designation for "Right on the Camino" vs "Within 5 km of Camino."

A dedicated moderator would be great, and some sort of quality control on the spreadsheet. Comments could be the usual free-for-all.

Several threads about good food and wine along the Camino have opened lively discussions.
While peregrinos are commonly known as a frugal specie, there are many who would love to combine their camino with the exploration of Spain’s rich culinary culture and diversity in great wines. A CGG would not only be helpful but very popular for sure.

- up-to-date and easily accessible (No better place than this forum to embed it, what do you think, Ivar?)

Similarly to the Michelin guide, it should contain a simple classification, like….
- one «pilgrim-staff» (PG) = tasty, seasonal freshly cooked local specialities, good selection of local wines, «worth-while to make a stop»

- two PG’s = above average, aspirational, regional cuisine, interesting wine list, «worth-while a small detour»

- three PG’s = a «must» on the camino, featuring the very best of regional haute cuisine, exquisite wines, «worth-while to do the camino again»

- ex category, no classification (something like the Michelin BIP) = best peregrino menu, with fresh vegetables, agreeable table wine

Please contribute your ideas, suggestions regarding the criteria of classification, etc.

I would suggest starting with basic categories, such as...

1. Tapas: unique, presentation, freshness, etc.

2. Pilgrim Menu: standard, very good, outstanding

3. Meat dishes / lentil soups / vegetarian meals

4. Unique regional dishes: have a description of what is unique to each region

5. Pilgrim-friendly posh restaurants: what's the specialty?

6. Best Coffee / Wine

7. Best pilgrim menu

8. Also...price. One shell, low price under $10. Two shells, over $10. Three shells, more than $29. Four shells....etc.

9. It always works well to ask restaurants to recommend their best entree, and then work with that!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

What a great idea!! Guaranteed success :)

I would suggest starting with basic categories, such as...
1. Tapas: unique, presentation, freshness, etc.
2. Pilgrim Menu: standard, very good, outstanding
3. Meat dishes / lentil soups / vegetarian meals
4. Unique regional dishes: have a description of what is unique to each region
5. Pilgrim-friendly posh restaurants: what's the specialty?
6. Best Coffee / Wine
7. Best pilgrim menu

All of these could be included in the listings, listed in geographical order. For example, walking along, I would see "Oh! Outstanding coffee tomorrow for breakfast," or I'd be inspired to walk over another hill because there is "Unique liqueur coming up in 10 km," or I might skip lunch because there is "Cocido maragato for dinner" at the end of the day.

Last edited:
What a great idea! Just today I was thinking of some of the special/unique foods and beverages found on the English and Portuguese routes; it would be wonderful to include other routes too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am an accomplished amateur food critic.

I also made friends with locals in leon and understand the diffetent places.

So I am happy to review restaraunts that rip off customers as well as those that offer exceptional value.

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions, while you PLEASE keep on posting, I'll try to concretize this project by regular comments:

- Jacobus: A bit hard to put everything under the same hat but perhaps a section "various" could be added.

- Thornley: This is exactly the problem; there was this fabulous place...but forgot the name. Lets all do as follows....
STARTING TODAY: Note down Name, phone number, email and any other important info; take a couple of pix. I work-out an initial rating-list and post it here in a few days; from there we can all contribute further.

- Rebekah: Thanks! For time being, all should send-in their ratings on this thread. Once we reached a certain number, I am sure that Ivar will help us getting dedicated place, where ratings will be listed according to location, starting in SJPdP end ending in SdC (add-on of Fisterra/Muxia). Ideally and given that most places have wi-fi these days, ratings could be made online on this forum.
2-3 moderators ready to accept/share the chore are essential, I'll do it for now but hope to be joined by colleagues. As for ratings, yes they are subjective but they'll become consistent over time. Here's my idea: Every pilgrim can send-in his ratings and comments, and a place gets initially listed but must be confirmed once a year by at least two other pilgrims; if not, it will be eliminated.

- C clearly: Thanks for your concrete, practical suggestions, this is what we need, so let's work on that rating list. I think we want to do this for "connoisseurs", the mediocre and bad has its abundant share already and does not need to be propagated. Let's foster and stimulate the ambitious caterers and ignore the the others.

- CaminoDebrita: Most caterers on the camino actually do a pretty good job in providing simple and very decent food at darn good prices already, a "cafe-con-leche-tappas-deep-frozen paella-etc-list" would be end- and meaningless. The CGG should commend the extraordinary; to serve a delicious, freshly made Galician empanada, a Cochinillo asado, a Conejo al Ajillo, a Rioja stew, Sarmiento chops, Roncal or Idiazabal cheeses, etc. etc. Prices should be noted but not rated, good things cost, but as I suggested initially, we should have a "BIP" category, listing simple, ordinary food exceptionally well done.

....and thank you, Hélène.

Mylifeonvacation: Phew, let's try to get this floating for the CF first, but if it does, we should add other routes.

"Life is too short and the camino too long for bad food and wine"

Maybe? Eventually it could feature on Ivar's app?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While I understand the need to focus on the CF first, why don't we add a section for "other caminos" and just keep it simple with posts including: name of camino, restaurant name, cost, and comment. Since I have walked the CF three times, I am walking other routes and it would be nice to have a place to scroll thru for recommendations. On the VdlP I was getting very tired of meat, fries, salad and was so grateful for Laurie's recommendation of Casa Rosemary in Montamarta. best meal of my camino: beautiful mixed greens (not iceberg) and vegetable salad with a local specialty veal stew. It was on the edge of town and I would have missed it.

While I understand the need to focus on the CF first, why don't we add a section for "other caminos" and just keep it simple with posts including: name of camino, restaurant name, cost, and comment. Since I have walked the CF three times, I am walking other routes and it would be nice to have a place to scroll thru for recommendations. On the VdlP I was getting very tired of meat, fries, salad and was so grateful for Laurie's recommendation of Casa Rosemary in Montamarta. best meal of my camino: beautiful mixed greens (not iceberg) and vegetable salad with a local specialty veal stew. It was on the edge of town and I would have missed it.
Your "other camino's" idea should be workable, lets build it in...and Laura, please post your ratings in this thread! I know what you mean regarding the "greens"! Made a point to skip "regular " lunches all the way, bought fresh fruit, tomatoes, carrots etc. instead, to "compensate". I think that the CGG should list and award good vegetarian restaurants.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pano: I did the same...skipped lunches and enjoyed the local fruta, pan, chorizo and queso. Nothing better than finding that perfect rock or wall to sit on while you enjoy the fresh air, listen to the birds sing and air out your toes while you munch on the simple tasty local food. I just couldn't eat the big lunches at midday and continue to walk (I am slow so generally didn't arrive until 3-5:00 to the Albergue). I saved my lunchtime bocadillos and tortillas for rainy days when I needed to get out of the rain for a rest. A good tip: I skipped the packaged flan at dinner time and opted for the fruit choice which I often carried for the next mid-morning snack. Learned this from a wise Italian I met:)!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Fabulous idea!
Can I second whoever suggested having a price bracket? I understand good things cost, but at the same time, it can be useful to know if something is going to be under 10 euros or over 20.

Also, how about having people date their review - and rather than removing places because noone mentions them, we could just see if the oldest review was three years old. Would minimise work for the mods.

Last edited:
I would love a guide.

In 40 days I only found one meal worthy of mention.... :(

The same for me Robo! One meal. On the other hand I did lose 5 kilos;)!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My initial reaction is to jump right in and start naming names.

Armed with restraint I offer this. Some foods or wines are experienced outside of restaurants and are not exclusive to them. For an example I will use Cabrales Blue Cheese.

There might be a category that recognizes the food rather than the restaurant where it is found.

Can't wait to participate in the final version.
perhaps to simplify the concept I defer to the "regional" suggestion. The CF passes through wine regions and cultural gastro districts so to make that a sound strategy. For example under Navarra categories for Restaurants, local wines, local foods (asparagus blanco!)unique to the area etc.
Continuing, sub categories under restaurants might be quality, location, service, price etc. as already suggested.

RATING for CGG
Your comments and suggestions are not only welcome but vigorously requested! Thank you

Here is a tentative and rough list of ratings, which would be done on a scale of 1 to 10; the rating is given to the main criteria (in capitals) as well as to the sub-criteria. Ideally, this entire CGG would be integrated on Ivar's app, so that ratings could be done spontaneously online.
All rated restaurants will appear in a list sorted by location in sequence from SJPdP to SdC. Ratings for restaurants along other camino routes will be listed under "Other Camino's". On the restaurant-list, the total number of ratings and the date of the last rating received will be indicated. (Good idea of Kiwi-Family)
ALL peregrinos are qualified to give ratings, but the numbers of ratings received are indicated in two different colors, one total and one for ratings received from members of this forum.
The ratings are first received and checked for (statistical-) correctness by designated CGG-moderators before publishing. Moderators themselves will however not qualify ratings; the real quality of a restaurants will be established by the numbers and consistency of incoming ratings over a time only.

The suggested criteria:
• Restaurants are rated and classified for EXTRAORDINARY EXCELLENCE expressed in a minimum of points given and result in a classification of one to three "Pilgrim-staffs" according to a key and similar to Michelin:
  • : "A very good restaurant worth a visit" (min. of 6 points in total average)
  • : "Excellent cooking, worth a detour" (min. of 7 points in total average)
  • : "Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey" (min. of 8 points in total average)
  • The purpose of the CGG is to guide peregrinos to exceptional places and to award enterprising and aspiring caterers with peregrino-business.
  • Restaurants with average performance and quality will be listed but not classified; no listing if points are below 3.
  • Restaurant without gourmet distinction, but with a particularly pleasant ambiance, good service, an unusually good Peregrino menu or menu del día, etc. can be additionally rated and recommended with a camino shell (equiv. to Michelin BIP)
------------------
(Date of visit, name of restaurant, phone/email addr., location)

FOOD
Choice, variety
Creativity and Presentation
Freshness
Quality of ingredients
Taste

BEVERAGES
Choice, variety
Selection of local wines
Quality of the wine served

SERVICE
Friendliness
Competence
Promptness

AMBIANCE
Comfort
Facilities
OVERALL
Price level (one, two or three coins)
Relation Quality-Price
Recommend it to my friends
Suggested no. of pilgrim-staffs (one to three)

Remarks

Shell rating (yes/no)
------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Hola, Pano!

I have compiled those mentions about places to go eat on CF and can send it to you. But currently I'm on Sanabres and will return home in three weeks.
Let me know and I'll send it to you if you will be THE person to organize this.

Buen provecho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would love a guide.

In 40 days I only found one meal worthy of mention.... :(
I'm with Robo, on the CF, once out of the larger cities you woulf be hard pressed for a meal deserving 1PG. Anything smaller than Astorga and you are looking hard. I can think of 1 restaurant worth mentioning, although in the same town you can find of of Spain's most reknowned restaurants. On the Primitivo not even 1 worth mentioning. On del Norte? The food is very good, but still ot worth a detour or a single staff.

Your comments and suggestions are not only welcome but vigorously requested
OK, in response to that request...

Your suggested criteria for rating restaurants appear to make a fairly traditional style rating system for restaurants that are close to the camino. That is consistent with your idea that it would be focused on the connoisseurs and that project might be enough to take on, at the moment.

I was thinking it would be fun to have a linear list (from SJPP to Santiago) of outstanding/special culinary experiences available to a walking pilgrim? The comparative rating might not be so critical to start, except to determine if the place even gets ON the list. The comments and a couple of tags would explain the virtues of the place. I would enjoying seeing a list that includes, for example, the Crepe Lady, David's place before Astorga, a famous pulperia or 2, a bodega on the way, regional sausage maker, the Chocolate museum, a great coffee somewhere, as well as the rated restaurants. However, that could get to be too much work, very fast. Also, it is arguable that guide books already provide a lot of this.

I'm happy to do field-testing (to the extent I can afford) of the information that @PANO coordinate!

I'm with Robo, on the CF, once out of the larger cities you woulf be hard pressed for a meal deserving 1PG. Anything smaller than Astorga and you are looking hard. I can think of 1 restaurant worth mentioning, although in the same town you can find of of Spain's most reknowned restaurants. On the Primitivo not even 1 worth mentioning. On del Norte? The food is very good, but still ot worth a detour or a single staff.
Anemone, I am fully realizing that one hardly finds good eatery in the meseta and other such places. But then, who would want to eat "gourmet" every day on the camino....this is not the idea. But from my many trips in the areas, I would guess that there are perhaps 30 places to qualify for a classification, maybe 10 for two staffs and I'd hope to list 3-4 three staff restaurants between SPPdP and SdC. If so, the entire project would be entirely worth while, imho.
Once the restaurants are aware that peregrinos care and keep on coming, they will proliferate.
You mention Astorga, a lovely town where you find such spots as the Serrano in the centre (www.restauranteserrano.es), that would fetch one staff, on good days even two and where I had one of the best steaks on the camino and a memorable Riserva to wash it down. Or the Casa Cascolo, (www.casacoscolo.com) well run by a young couple, a little outside town in Castrillo de los Polvazares, with a rustic regional décor, a simple set-up and matching service. It also has cosy and personalized bedrooms with wood ceilings and floors; worth one staff and the extra km, especially if you decide to spend the night.
You are certainly right, not an easy task to find all these sometimes well hidden gems, but certainly rewarding....and the camino is on our side and provides :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Your suggested criteria for rating restaurants appear to make a fairly traditional style rating system for restaurants that are close to the camino. That is consistent with your idea that it would be focused on the connoisseurs and that project might be enough to take on, at the moment.

I was thinking it would be fun to have a linear list (from SJPP to Santiago) of outstanding/special culinary experiences available to a walking pilgrim? The comparative rating might not be so critical to start, except to determine if the place even gets ON the list. The comments and a couple of tags would explain the virtues of the place. I would enjoying seeing a list that includes, for example, the Crepe Lady, David's place before Astorga, a famous pulperia or 2, a bodega on the way, regional sausage maker, the Chocolate museum, a great coffee somewhere, as well as the rated restaurants. However, that could get to be too much work, very fast. Also, it is arguable that guide books already provide a lot of this.

I'm happy to do field-testing (to the extent I can afford) of the information that @PANO coordinate!

I agree with c Clearly's suggestion. I think the linear list with memorable places would be more accessible for most pilgrims. Especially for new pilgrims not yet educated on the wonderful foods and wines available geographically. I think the purpose of the rating system needs to be agreed upon - gourmet or step above average pilgrim fare. I always treat myself to better quality restaurant in Santiago and Madrid when I am able to clean up a bit. I might venture out once or twice during a camino for a more expensive meal but generally I am tired and would just like to know if there is a better quality menu del dia, pilgrims menu or specialty food in the upcoming day's walk...might compel me to stop in a specific village.

C clearly and LauraK, your enthusiasm is very inspiring, thank you so much! From what you write, there is no real contradiction to my definition of a CGG: It should be linear, yes; it can/should contain all the places you mention and some of them may even obtain a classification or a pilgrims shell, but what is badly needed (I feel) is a Guide to mention the real gems and classify and reward the efforts of their hosts....to the benefit of palate of discerning peregrinos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola, Pano!

I have compiled those mentions about places to go eat on CF and can send it to you. But currently I'm on Sanabres and will return home in three weeks.
Let me know and I'll send it to you if you will be THE person to organize this.
Buen provecho!
Not to worry KinkyOne, we look keenly forward to your list and ratings when you're ready. Until we have a dedicated space, just post in this thread.

In the information you collect you may want to include opening hours. I doubt many of the restaurants you have in mind would be open in early evening when most pilgrims eat. Also dress code.

I'm with LauraK, a step above traditional pilgrim fare sounds more realistic in terms of availability and matching with pilgrim needs. In Fromista you could go to Los Palmeros, if they allow you in your grubby pilgrim wear, but more interesting might be Cafétéria Venta Boffard. If you stick to ultra high quality you would miss places like the Pasage de los Nobles in Santilana del Mar, or the home made cooking of the restaurant in Hazas/Liendo. And David's place as you come into Astorga would certainly be out.

If you decide that you are not looking for Michelin rated places I'd be happy to share some of my favourites.

In the information you collect you may want to include opening hours. I doubt many of the restaurants you have in mind would be open in early evening when most pilgrims eat. Also dress code.
I'm with LauraK, a step above traditional pilgrim fare sounds more realistic in terms of availability and matching with pilgrim needs. In Fromista you could go to Los Palmeros, if they allow you in your grubby pilgrim wear, but more interesting might be Cafétéria Venta Boffard. If you stick to ultra high quality you would miss places like the Pasage de los Nobles in Santilana del Mar, or the home made cooking of the restaurant in Hazas/Liendo. And David's place as you come into Astorga would certainly be out.
If you decide that you are not looking for Michelin rated places I'd be happy to share some of my favourites.
A guide for peregrinos doing the camino not as penance but to celebrate the joys and intensity of life, curious to explore the specialities of the country they are crossing; for the lovers of slow food conspiring with inspired, passionate chefs, for those appreciating the savors of wine that is the pride of dedicated vintners and worthy of their countless hours of hard work....this would be "my CGG".

A guide to help more ambitious restaurants struggling to survive amid a sea of culinary mediocrity and fast-food tsunami, to encourage their passion and quest for quality by mentioning their existence....and by classifying different degrees of such quality.

Why should it exclude the highly popular places mentioned by Anemone?
Did I not clearly enough suggest that the CGG should list ALL restaurants recommended by peregrinos on their camino?
And did I not clearly enough suggest to create a special category for places with particularly nice pilgrim staple to be decorated with a shell icon?

Please note the distinction in "listing" and "classifying"!

A serious "Gourmet Guide" is not a catalogue of popularity. To justify the middle G of CGG, its task would be to encourage and rate those places that are generally missed-out BECAUSE they are not popular peregrino eateries. For what appears to be a minority of people not content of wandering 800km through regions with rich culinary culture merely feeding on boccadillos, processed junk along with industrial "vino tinto", swallowing peregrino-menus prepared by hopelessly overextended kitchen aids under ridiculous price-pressure.
There are guides for such people...in Spanish and of course the Michelin, I just thought that it would be nice to have a list by peregrinos for peregrinos, specifically.
Well, maybe this idea is too ambitious. Sure, at first everyone agrees on the merit of a CGG, but a minute later, concerns are raised about being "too posh, too high-strung, too selective". As if quality can ever be too high, food and wine ever be too savory.
But then after all, the camino is realistically and specifically just part of a world, "in which there is scarcely anything that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.” (John Ruskin)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Pano for clarifying. I still think it is a great idea. Rereading your posts I understand it will accommodate both affordable and splurge restaurants of great quality. Starting with a clearly defined objective and guidelines will ensure we don't get off track as more varied opinions are offered. You have done an excellent job with both. Please don't get discouraged. I think it is part of the process to question. However, once defined, we will need to stay on track so we don't end up with a big list of bad but cheap restaurants. Thank you for your efforts.

What's wrong with using a tool that already exists - Ivar's "Camino Places" app. It specifically has a way of commenting and recommending restaurants. Although not sure how to add places that are not already there.

What's wrong with using a tool that already exists - Ivar's "Camino Places" app. It specifically has a way of commenting and recommending restaurants. Although not sure how to add places that are not already there.
Nothing....quite on the contrary, Kanga. I assume that the CGG would require only minor changes to the app. Wondering what Ivar thinks about it.

Kanga, I agree with you except at at the moment you can not add places not generate de by ghe app, as you mention, but also you cannot comment if you are not In the vicinity. So no comenting unless you are en route.

Let me know how I can help any further; I depart 1 October! I'm glad to be an "eater at large"! Ha ha!

Haven't yet read all the posts in detail, but applaud the approach. The only useful Google filter I've found for decent restaurants in far away places is 'expensive'. Congruent with results for 'best' etc returning pizza, pasta and thai.

Edited by Moderator

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Slightly off topic, but I'm reading a great memoir that revolves around regional food (primarily a story about a cheese) and wine in northern Spain, on the meseta. It's called The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti. It is making me homesick for the Camino. It emphasizes slow food and the pleasure of eating and sharing regional specialties prepared with love and includes a lot of history about Spain and northern Spain in particular. Highly recommended.

@lbpierce, your description reminded me of the novel Like Water for Chocolate---a young woman can't marry her lover because of an old family tradition. As she can only express herself through cooking, her food is also prepared with great love and sensuality.

Attachments

• Like_Water_for_Chocolate_(Book_Cover).png
    Like_Water_for_Chocolate_(Book_Cover).png
    147.7 KB · Views: 2
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Slightly off topic, but I'm reading a great memoir that revolves around regional food (primarily a story about a cheese) and wine in northern Spain, on the meseta. It's called The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti. It is making me homesick for the Camino. It emphasizes slow food and the pleasure of eating and sharing regional specialties prepared with love and includes a lot of history about Spain and northern Spain in particular. Highly recommended.
Thanks, Debra! I just read your post and immediately ordered the book from Amazon.

Hello all,
Once you get your rating system figured out, let me know. I am a travel writer, and food and wine are some of my fave topics. Fellow pilgrims told me I was becoming a Camino foodie legend to them... I shopped the chalkboards for the best pilgrim menus, tried out the food and then posted my recommendations on Facebook for my fellow pilgrims. I'd love to add some of the most notable places to your guide. But please keep your rating system simple and post easy-to-understand guidelines. I like the comment that we should post the actual prices, not a rating system for prices.

@CaminoDebrita - the comment about steaks might have been meant as an indictment of Google assumptions that tend to give stereotypical search results.

Both those books look worth reading!

Another excellent book on the food of Spain is "Late Dinner: Discovering the Food of Spain" by Paul Richardson. Each chapter covers a geographical area (Levante, Galicia, Andalusia, etc. with interesting information and descriptions of the food. You will feel like you have been on a trip around Spain. Available on Amazon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've reserved them both at the library. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have read Like water for Chocolate and loved it. Have just downloaded The Telling Room and am enjoying already! :) Thanks :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If anyone in Oz has not a copy of Di Nolans book on the Camino ,
A Food Lovers Quide To The Camino,
On both the Frances as well as the French ones from Le Puy and Verzeley the $60 plus will be well spent.
The photos , recipes and stories in this large beautiful book should sit in everyone's study/library.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Under Wine - Surely quantity is extremely important? :)

OK I probably won't fit in this thread, I'll get my coat.
Under Wine - Surely quantity is extremely important? :)

OK I probably won't fit in this thread, I'll get my coat.
I absolutely agree. What a wise old owl you are, Houlet

Hello all,
Once you get your rating system figured out, let me know. I am a travel writer, and food and wine are some of my fave topics. Fellow pilgrims told me I was becoming a Camino foodie legend to them... I shopped the chalkboards for the best pilgrim menus, tried out the food and then posted my recommendations on Facebook for my fellow pilgrims. I'd love to add some of the most notable places to your guide. But please keep your rating system simple and post easy-to-understand guidelines. I like the comment that we should post the actual prices, not a rating system for prices.
Alas shoping the chalkboards of pilgrim menus may not make you enough of a food ie foe this guide. Unless You are prépares to make detours to get to your fan ider meal your suggestions May not make it.

Which is interesting because there is a difference between hype and actual quality. Take is ot the Cantabrico in A Fonsagrada? It's in all the magasines as the place to eat. You walk in dresses in pilgrimwear and you get offered the regular care. Good food only gets offere after our bed time. The real chef is not in at our eating hours. Would it have been much better late? Perhaps, or maybe not

I'm posting here to bump the post up and see what's happening with the CGG. I have now read both The Telling Room and Like Water for Chocolate. I enjoyed both, for different reasons. The Telling Room was particularly interesting in its presentation of Castillians - both in pointing out their virtues and how they might react to "foreigners" and how we foreigners can react. I will look at those old guys sitting in the bar a little differently now.
20141104_172400.jpg

I'm posting here to bump the post up and see what's happening with the CGG. I have now read both The Telling Room and Like Water for Chocolate. I enjoyed both, for different reasons. The Telling Room was particularly interesting in its presentation of Castillians - both in pointing out their virtues and how they might react to "foreigners" and how we foreigners can react. I will look at those old guys sitting in the bar a little differently now.
View attachment 20398

Me too Clare! I read Like Water for Chocolate some time ago and loved it. Finished The Telling Room last week and feel exactly the same way you do. Makes me wish my stupid English brain had more aptitude for learning languages, but a smile will go a long way as will a willingness to interact?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back