• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estella to Burgos

Cailin O Eire

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago Easter 2014
Hope to walk for 5 days from St Jean Pied De Port to wherever my feet bring me to first week of June 2016
Okay, I've got an itch to start planning!! Walked to Estella in May/June this year. Thinking if going back and walking Estella to Burgos over 10 days next year, maybe during Easter which I think falls in March - suggestions for where would be best to fly into and out of would be great! Would March be a nice time to do this, I'll be solo female so don't want to be too alone either, would like to know there us ppl not far ahead it behind just for peace if mind.
Any thoughts would be great,
Thanks
Rita

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good for you Rita!

I see that there's a bus from San Sebastian to Estella - so that might be an option (although I'm not sure if there are flights from Dublin to San Sebastian in March). Here's a link to the bus company http://www.laestellesa.com/es/rutas-regulares

An alternative is to travel via Bilbao. It's a 2 hour bus journey from Bilbao to Pamplona http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/es/consulta-horarios.asp and you could then take a local bus to Estella. However, you'll need to check if the flight and bus times line up with each other. I think that @clearskies might have some info on this.

Travelling via Madrid is also an option. You can get an Alsa bus from Madrid T4 to Logrono (it takes about 4 hours) and a local bus to Estella. It would of course be much faster to take an internal flight from Madrid to Pamplona, as @Anniesantiago suggests. There's a flight at 1pm, which you could easily catch if you get the early morning flight from Dublin to Madrid (although this could work out ridiculously expensive, especially if you have to stay overnight in Dublin).

It's always tricky (but fun) working out how to get to and from the little in-between places! I like the Rome2Rio website http://www.rome2rio.com - it gives different options for each journey.

Coming home from Burgos will be super-easy! 2.5 hours by Alsa bus to Madrid Airport, or 2 hours to Bilbao.

From what I remember, you travelled via Biarritz last time. Was this a big hassle?

Nuala

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Okay, I've got an itch to start planning!! Walked to Estella in May/June this year. Thinking if going back and walking Estella to Burgos over 10 days next year, maybe during Easter which I think falls in March - suggestions for where would be best to fly into and out of would be great! Would March be a nice time to do this, I'll be solo female so don't want to be too alone either, would like to know there us ppl not far ahead it behind just for peace if mind.
Any thoughts would be great,
Thanks
Rita

Cailin:

If you are walking Easter week, you will not be alone.

In regards to getting to Estella, I would just reverse what you did last year to get home. Getting home from Burgos, I would train or bus to Madrid.

Ultreya,
Joe

Zaragoza is another option. Flights with Ryanair from London Stansted are cheap. Last November, I went alone to Zaragoza, and got a train to Logrono, 2 hours. Last month, we flew to Zaragoza, and got a train to Pamplona, then walked to Fromista. You can train from Burgos back to Zaragoza. There also bus options from Zaragoza.
In November, there was enough company, I imagine March would be similar. There are enough places open to stay.
Buen Camino ! Helen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Nuala,
Flying into Biarritz I'd recommend whole heartedly for starting out at St Jean but I used up a day getting back to Biarritz from Estella. It wasn't the distance but more so the wait time between buses/trains that meant it wouldn't have worked for me to walk on from Estella and then after that day go back to Biarritz just to sleep before catching a morning flight.
It didn't even occur to me when booking that time that I was going to be in Spain when I was ready to go home and not Feance ha ha!!
I walked Sarria to Santiago Easter week 2 years ago (this is when I caught the camino bug) loads of ppl but I wondered would so far back on the trail be busy,
Thanks for all your advice,
Rita

Last edited:
Cailin:

If you are walking Easter week, you will not be alone.

In regards to getting to Estella, I would just reverse what you did last year to get home. Getting home from Burgos, I would train or bus to Madrid.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks Joe, I found going back to Biarritx from Estella last year to waste a day of I can at all I'm going to try limit travel days so I can maximise walking and minimise annual leave days :)
Rita

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Zaragoza is another option. Flights with Ryanair from London Stansted are cheap. Last November, I went alone to Zaragoza, and got a train to Logrono, 2 hours. Last month, we flew to Zaragoza, and got a train to Pamplona, then walked to Fromista. You can train from Burgos back to Zaragoza. There also bus options from Zaragoza.
In November, there was enough company, I imagine March would be similar. There are enough places open to stay.
Buen Camino ! Helen
Thank you, my Geography is obviously terrible as I'd not heard of Zaragoza!! I'll look into this also, will be flying from Ireland so I'm not sure is it a destination Ryanair do direct from here or not.
Thanks again
Rita

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, my Geography is obviously terrible as I'd not heard of Zaragoza!! I'll look into this also, will be flying from Ireland so I'm not sure is it a destination Ryanair do direct from here or not.
Thanks again
Rita

'Cailin:

I am not sure about getting from Zaragosa to Estella but there is a Cathedral that St. James built in the City after the BVM appeared to him there. I have never been but am interested in visiting some day. Madrid is a good in and out city for accessing the Camino with good bus and train service from airport.

Ultreya,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Zaragoza IS worth a visit,it is beautiful.The buildings in the city centre are fantastic.Hope you get a chance to explore .

:D
Now I'm divided, Madrid/Zaragoza!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'Cailin:

I am not sure about getting from Zaragosa to Estella but there is a Cathedral that St. James built in the City after the BVM appeared to him there. I have never been but am interested in visiting some day. Madrid is a good in and out city for accessing the Camino with good bus and train service from airport.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank You, sounds interesting and given that I'll be walking a stretch of the camino, it would be fitting.
Rita

Hi, adding my twopennyworth if time is an issue! I walked Roncesvalles to Estella some years ago after having flown into Bilbao. Getting to Bilbao from Estella was simple. You could do it in reverse and it takes approx 2 hours or less. If you are interested, I can rack through my stuff and find the corresponding website for the buses. You get a bus from central Bilbao bus station to Vitoria and change buses to Estella. If my memory serves me correctly, it was the same bus stop that I arrived and left from in Vitoria. Vitoria also has or had a small airport and I think Ryanair used to fly into it... It's worth checking out maybe.
Good luck and enjoy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The day before yesterday, that's Sunday 1st November I booked the 6.25 flight from Dublin to Madrid for €31.99. I will arrive Madrid at 10.00 am . I will be going to Burgos. but last year I a direct bus from the Madrid airport to Logrono. This might be an option for you.

Hi again Rita,

I took a quick look at the Aer Lingus Dublin to Bilbao schedule. It seems that the flights begin again on Tuesday 29th March (Easter Tuesday). There are flights on Tuesdays and Saturdays, arriving in Bilbao at 3.45pm.

I imagine that you were probably hoping to leave before Easter weekend, though.

When time is an issue (it always is for me too), it's worth spending a bit of time seeing how the plane/bus/trains line up with each other. Sometimes the closest airport isn't the most convenient one. That's why I've ended up travelling via Madrid the last couple of times - it may seem further away, but it's very well connected. There's an Alsa bus to Logrono at 10.45am from T4. If you get the morning flight from Dublin (as @Lydia Gillen suggests) you should be able to catch this bus if you just take hand luggage. There's a connecting bus between T1 (where you'll land) and T4.

Happy planning!

Nuala

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Judy Davis mentioned that Ryanair used to fly into Victoria. On my first ever Camino in 2007 I flew into Vitoria. the cost was €3.75 plus taxes. So you can understand why I never complain about Ryanair. They have brought me to and from Caminos.

I remember me being so scared that I would not go out around Pamplona even though I had time to spare whilst waiting for the bus to Roncesvalles. I would just go out a door and walk along the path keeping the bus station in my sight all the time.

Zaragoza is indeed a good option. Small sized airport. easy to reach busstation , lots of lines from there. And decent hotel just across busstation.

The day before yesterday, that's Sunday 1st November I booked the 6.25 flight from Dublin to Madrid for €31.99. I will arrive Madrid at 10.00 am . I will be going to Burgos. but last year I a direct bus from the Madrid airport to Logrono. This might be an option for you.
Oh Lydia this makes me wish I didn't live in Australia. (Although I'm happy to for every other reason LOL.) The sheer simplicity, time factor and cost is amazing for people from Europe to access the Camino. I flew home after the Camino a few weeks ago. The airline redirected our flight out of Madrid as they changed timetables. So into taxi at Madrid apartment Thursday 5.30 am for airport... Madrid to Frankfurt to Bangkok (for 20 hour stopover).... Flight home arriving Brisbane airport Saturday 11.50 am.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Okay, I've got an itch to start planning!! ... Any thoughts would be great, Thanks
Rita

When on a pilgrimage to SdC I hope to arrive at Pamplona in the first half of May 2016.

Then I intend to take a break, firstly at Bilbao (Guggenheim Museum) and then Barcelona (Gaudi architecture).

The trail above has persuaded me to stop at Zaragoza, most probably on the way back to Pamplona.

So, thanks Cailin. You question has helped me. I suspect my reply may not have helped you.

When on a pilgrimage to SdC I hope to arrive at Pamplona in the first half of May 2016.

Then I intend to take a break, firstly at Bilbao (Guggenheim Museum) and then Barcelona (Gaudi architecture).

The trail above has persuaded me to stop at Zaragoza, most probably on the way back to Pamplona.

So, thanks Cailin. You question has helped me. I suspect my reply may not have helped you.

Alwyn,

You will love Zaragoza! Lots to explore :beautiful architecture , lots of Roman and Mudejar remains. The inner city is easily reachable on foot.

Hi Cailin
We travelled (Oct 2014)with Aer Lingus Dublin to Bilbao, getting in at 3:30 pm. We stayed o/night in Pension La Salve which is just up the hill from Guggenheim Museum. Bilbao is a lovely city, very easy for walking and finding your way back to your accommodation. Next day we got bus to Logrono, then onwards to Estella staying in Hostal El Volante. We finished our walk of 7 days in Burgos staying o/night in Hostal Temino. This hostel is very convenient to bus station where once again we went back to Bilbao and got our Aer Lingus flight home to Dublin. While we enjoyed staying over in Bilbao, the buses are very regular to Estella and then Burgos to Bilbao so you would not need to use up any extra days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

That's what makes this forum a great asset to us :)
Buen Camino

Hi again Rita,

I took a quick look at the Aer Lingus Dublin to Bilbao schedule. It seems that the flights begin again on Tuesday 29th March (Easter Tuesday). There are flights on Tuesdays and Saturdays, arriving in Bilbao at 3.45pm.

I imagine that you were probably hoping to leave before Easter weekend, though.

When time is an issue (it always is for me too), it's worth spending a bit of time seeing how the plane/bus/trains line up with each other. Sometimes the closest airport isn't the most convenient one. That's why I've ended up travelling via Madrid the last couple of times - it may seem further away, but it's very well connected. There's an Alsa bus to Logrono at 10.45am from T4. If you get the morning flight from Dublin (as @Lydia Gillen suggests) you should be able to catch this bus if you just take hand luggage. There's a connecting bus between T1 (where you'll land) and T4.

Happy planning!

Nuala
Thanks Nuala, it's a juggle with maximum days off together with minimal need to take annual leave! I'm a miser when it comes to annual leave!!!ha ha
Thanks again Nuala :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back