• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estimated cost of food o accommodation, 2015

Mari Ulfsdotter

Time of past OR future Camino
I will walk the camino august -september (2015)
Can anyone confirm if this calculation (attached link) is still relevant? and gives a realistic estimate of what the accommodation and food costs. I plan to go next year (August, September) and need to know how much money I need to save. I intend to go all the way and think it will take me about 7 weeks.
http://www.caminoteca.com/index.php/cost-calculator.html

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Mari,

I used the same calculator this year and found it to be, as Falcon says above , good for an estimate.

I would like to offer you this suggestion, use it as per your plan and add 15-20% to your figure from the calculator to account for any changes in prices since last year, and the higher cost for almost everything when you reach Galicia and some of the touristy stuff in SDC.

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Mari,
I walked from StJPdP to Santiago in May this year. I stayed in Albergues all the way apart from the last night in Santiago. I had an evening meal in the Albergues when it was being served(around 50% of the Albergues).
I did not cook anywhere. I eat often along the camino as I was always hungry and it is so important to keep the energy up. Although I was not watching the money I was not throwing it around. I spent around €40 per day
over 30 days on avearge. It must have been all the 'cafe con leche' along the way that pushed it up !!!. A great month long journey.

Buen camino,
Irishwalker.

This year on the Frances I averaged around 40 euros, sometimes more if I stayed in a hostal, but I have at least one resto meal per day, not always the menu, and I like to have beers along the way.

Can anyone confirm if this calculation (attached link) is still relevant? and gives a realistic estimate of what the accommodation and food costs. I plan to go next year (August, September) and need to know how much money I need to save. I intend to go all the way and think it will take me about 7 weeks.
I just got back sept 30th.
Yes you can find these prices but you wont stick to them for long. My daughter and I just got back from 30 days and found spending a little more was worth it in most cases. The 5 dollar alburgues go fast and are usually very big and sometimes hard to get to sleep in and a good sleep will be worth more than you can imagine 2 or 3 times on you trip. We started to look for smaller places which are 8 to 12 euros much easier to relax in and communal meals are much more fun. The food is very good and you will find your favorites and food is what gets you through the day . Id say 5 for breakfast unless they had tortilla yum. Lunch was hard for us to find at times so i started to buy bread ham and cheese in the morning 3 euros however be ready to spend more on drinks in the afternoon it gets hot and an orange juice or cold water or beer will be welcomed. Dinner is more like 8 to 11 euros but some of the pilgrim meals we had at the top end were like feasts and were worth it now and again. Washing machines were more like 3 euros not many places had them of if they did the line to use them was long. Bring thin clothes, wash your stuff as soon as you can and hang it on your bed if the sun doesnt get the job done for you. the real money spent was at the farmacia lol my daughter happened to get blisters and a sore knee and i spent lots trying to keep her comfortable and going strong. Be prepared for the unexpected, the camino will take you where it wants and if you fight it you wont enjoy it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with brkdn2 (I just go back Oct 5). I'm a slow walker so I averaged around 9 euro a night for albergues that took reservations i'd make the day before. The days I did not have reservations I was spending upwards of an hour walking around trying to find somewhere to stay at a reasonable price. Some mornings I'd start with a cafe con leche and a carb - I'd say the average price was 2-2.50 euro for the two. Some places way less, some places more. If I didn't have that I'd wait for a village to be open and stop for an OJ or beer. Then I'd skip lunch and not usually eat till I got to my stop for the evening and either get a quick something at a cafe (I kind of liked those 1/2 white bread sandwiches that were stacked with all sorts of stuff in them) and a beer or wine. Dinner a mix of pilgrim meals or meals of the day - and I hate to say it but none were memorable, tasty or high quality except the night I had pork cheeks. Average cost I'd say was around 10 euro, cheaper east and price slowly rising as I headed west. Washing machine - 2-3 euro but I'd usually go in with 3-4 other people or mostly hand wash. Glasses of wine anywhere were in the 1.25-2.50 euro range for about a 1/3 of a wine glass, sangria 2 euro. Or fantastic bottles of wine at the mercado were 2 euro... I spent a total of 40 euro in farmacias and that included prescriptions for an upper respiratory infection (that turned into pneumonia). I also spent 4 euro on a camino patch, 3 euro on a camino bracelet (that I lost in Atlanta when TSA made me take it off and then I dropped it somewhere and they wouldn't allow me to go look for it), and about 10 euro on gifts/postcards/stamps.

Having just completed the walk from San Jean in about 45 days (Hurry Up is not my name), I can tell you I spent just under 1,000.00. Things like the Pilgrim's Menu are not worth the paper they are printed on and the municipal, parochial and especially the donativo albergues are inexpensive and a great value. I never had a problem finding a space. You can stay in private albergues but they are not necessarily better. I asked myself if I wanted to sleep with a number of other people with occasional snoring for 10.00 euros? Or have the same experience for 5.00 euros?. Eating on the cheap is fairly easy. I might add also that the beer and wine adds up as well.
Have fun!

Last edited:
My wife and I completed the Camino in mid-July 2014. For what its worth, I would agree with the 40 Euro a day estimate. You can save a bit of money by utilizing the supermarkets. If you see a Supermarket, grab some fruits, bread, cheese, cured meat and wine. (You should only need to carry the wine half the day ;-) )Stop in the countryside for your lunches and take in all of the experience you can. The Camino will forever change you and leave its imprint on your soul.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just finished the Portuguese last month. The plan was to stay at albergues and eat cheap. The reality was, several nights in hotels, we needed a bath tub to marinate in, several nights in hostels, we were in need of uninterrupted sleep, and because of our bodies caloric demands, we ate like sumo wrestlers. I think the link is a useful tool but I would recommend a 50% cushion to your calculations.

Happy Trails

Based on doing the entire Camino Frances in 2013 and 2014, my experience suggests a daily average of €45 - 50 is closer to reality. I stay mostly in hostals (one-star hotels) instead of albergues whenever possible to reduce the chance of catching something from my fellow pilgrims. Plus, having a private room and bath, with the ability to get your hand wash and drying done in a controlled space is priceless. Besides, I am told that I snore...

I tried the calculator using my known performance experience and it produced a daily average of €32. I suggest that is very much on the conservative end of the actual costs involved.

For planning purposes, I would not plan on less than €40. Following my number of €50 per day gives you more flexibility and choices in food, lodging, ground transport, and buying stuff along the way, including Camino gear you come across that works better than what you started with. This occurred to me both years. In both years, I ended up buying additional fleece, gloves hats, and this year a new sleeping bag. I walked from the last week in April, through the end of May in both years.

Coming from the States, I obtained from my bank a debit card with a chip on it that I can load with money in advance, and top off via computer or by phone while away. I loaded it with US dollars and spend it in Euros. This is how I get funds from cash machines, make purchases, and pay for lodging if plastic is usable. If you live in Europe and already have a cash card with a chip, you are "good to go." Just make sure you have enough money in your current account to cover the budgeted expenditures.

I hope this helps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Mari for this link. I posted a question about the cost of walking the camino and then scrolling down, I saw this post and the link you provided.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.