• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estimated time to bike from SJPDP to Roncesvalles?

Mrhighland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting my Camino Frances by bike on September 23 (2018j
Hi l’m Daniel, i’m from Sweden and I’ starting my Camino on sunday Sep 23 in SJPDP. I will bike the Camino alone!
I’m arriving in SJPDP with the motning train från Bayonne. I will then pick up my bike and make sure everything fits and works as it should. After making the panniers balanced and enyoying a smal meal I plan to head out on the Camino. How far will a get starting at noon? Which route is suitable and how long time would it take to get to Roncesvalles? I’m a pretty experienced MTB-cyclist.
Burn Camino
Daniel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not as far as you are probably hoping. You may well have to walk much of the way, not because you lack the necessary MTB skills but because you will not be alone. You will be sharing the narrow path with hundreds of walkers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Daniel,

I think it took me around 3 hours on the road at a relaxing pace. There is quite a lot of up :) Google maps has around 3.5 hours off road. The weather was bad when I did it, low cloud with almost 0 visibility and I was quite glad to be on the road.

You'll easily make it to Roncesvalles. If you've not seen it https://godesalco.com/plan/frances has the profiles and it's quite an easy ride out of Roncesvalles if you want to carry on.

Hope you have a fab time - Helen

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,

I think it took me around 3 hours on the road at a relaxing page. There is quite a lot of up :) Google maps has around 3.5 hours off road. The weather was bad when I did it, low cloud with almost 0 visibility and I was quite glad to be on the road.

You'll easily make it to Roncesvalles. If you've not see it https://godesalco.com/plan/frances has the profiles and it's quite an easy ride out of Roncesvalles if you want to carry on.

Hope you have a fab time - Helen

Thank you for your helpful information Helen1
I gather you took the Valcarlos way, was that due to the weather or would you recomend that option rather than the Napoleon way anyhow?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've never done the Napoleon route so I can't really advise. In the rain/cloud/drizzle damp I would have thought it would be pretty miserable on the the Napoleon route and the Valcarlos route will be easier. In good weather I should imagine the Napoleon route is glorious. The road is really just a long climb, it's not too steep with a lot of switchbacks and you're in woods a lot of the time. I couldn't see much because of the weather but I am guessing the woods mean that there's not too much to see anyway.

Recommend the road the entire way. There are pilgrim signs along the road that take you into the woods. Don’t take them and stay completely on the road. BC

Hi Daniel

I have done both in the past - Valcarlos way and Napoleon route.

Napoleon route is very steep. You will cycle on a bare mountain range. It is amazing, but should be done first thing in the morning. I am not an early bird at all, but midday is just too late. It is a high mountain pass and the weather does change very quickly. So personally I would give it a miss. I don't remember how long it took me, but I believe that I was in Roncesvalles in the late afternoon

Valcarlos route is steep as well finished off with 11 kilometres ascent. I cycled it more than once and I like it a lot. It is just cool. With heavy panniers it takes definitely more than three hours.

Anyway - when you get to SJPdP go to Pilgrim's Office ( on the top of the hill, cobbled street inside the citadel) and ask them for advice. And the weather. This year they told me not to cycle Napoleon route because it was raining for two constructive weeks. They will give you a simple map of both routes.

Buen camino

Kat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Daniel

I have done both in the past - Valcarlos way and Napoleon route.

Napoleon route is very steep. You will cycle on a bare mountain range. It is amazing, but should be done first thing in the morning. I am not an early bird at all, but midday is just too late. It is a high mountain pass and the weather does change very quickly. So personally I would give it a miss. I don't remember how long it took me, but I believe that I was in Roncesvalles in the late afternoon

Valcarlos route is steep as well finished off with 11 kilometres ascent. I cycled it more than once and I like it a lot. It is just cool. With heavy panniers it takes definitely more than three hours.

Anyway - when you get to SJPdP go to Pilgrim's Office ( on the top of the hill, cobbled street inside the citadel) and ask them for advice. And the weather. This year they told me not to cycle Napoleon route because it was raining for two constructive weeks. They will give you a simple map of both routes.

Buen camino

Kat
Thank you for all the good advice!

I will follow all your recommendations to get a good start to the trip!
I’m really looking forward to it!

/Daniel

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back