• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estrella Galicia to launch a limited edition "monastery" beer: "Sobrado dos Monxes"

D

Deleted member 73526

After studying yeasts in the monastery garden for two years (yeah, right...), Estrella is set to launch a limited production run of 20,000 Liters of an ale-style beer ('Sobrado dos Monxes') in tribute to the Monasterio de Santa María de Sobrado:

Article here

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only 20.000 liters? Don´t know if I´ll have enougth of that beberage...

04e69c0031a4971f59463fde1c9829f3.jpeg
Well, that's exciting. I remember once I got into Galicia I started seeing this beer during the day, but no place we stopped had them. Finally, at SdC across the street from the Pilgrim's Office there was a small pub that sold them. I'm sure the beer experts out there wouldn't have been impressed, but on the day I received my compostela this was probably one of the best beers I ever enjoyed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like just another boring "craft beer" (yes I am a beer snob) -- but I'll try and taste it later this year when (and if) I get there. (and the Peregrina one too, which seems less tedious)

I hope some of the profit goes to the upkeep of the rundown old monastery that it is named after, and where I have stayed a couple of times.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope some of the profit goes to the upkeep of the rundown old monastery that it is named after, and where I have stayed a couple of times.
The monastery underwent a major exterior renovation in 2019

After studying yeasts in the monastery garden for two years (yeah, right...), Estrella is set to launch a limited production run of 20,000 Liters of an ale-style beer ('Sobrado dos Monxes') in tribute to the Monasterio de Santa María de Sobrado:

Article here
The best beer is whatever you have in your hand at that particular time. Cooee

The monastery underwent a major exterior renovation in 2019
Great news, thanks for posting. I have stayed there 3 times over the years, but not since 2015, and each time I wondered about how it could be saved. One time I stayed there I was joined by a German soprano saxaphone teacher who played in the monastery - the acoustics were wonderful.
I don't remember drinking any beer there, but I bought some red wines that the monks had made.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For those interested. This video was made to promote the launch (with the monks singing in Latin about the background of the beer) and El Espanol wrote an article about it.

[edited]

Last edited:
The monastery at Sobrado dos Monxes was already one of my favorite places on the Norte, but now there seems a good enough reason to visit again, as they have just launched their own beer. (Abadía de Estrella Galicia)

It is a cooperation with Estrella. I don't think the beer was actually brewed at the monastery, but it made with yeast samples that were collected from the monastery grounds. The beer reportedly has a similar taste as Belgian Abbey beer. But personally this sounds a bit too ambitious to be credible. Anyway, I hope to find out for myself some day.

For those interested. This video was made to promote the launch (with the monks singing in Latin about the background of the beer) and El Espanol wrote an article about it.

MarkS.
Thanks for this news. Their statement the area about the monastery is "hoppy" starts my mind spinning. Perhaps some day their brew will be sold here in France.

I don't think the beer was actually brewed at the monastery, but it made with yeast samples that were collected from the monastery grounds. The beer reportedly has a similar taste as Belgian Abbey beer. But personally this sounds a bit too ambitious to be credible.
I think you're right. From what I could glean, it's brewed by Estrella's brewers in Estrella's brewery. I mentioned it here:

The idea that a group of monks would progress from making no beer to making a commercial product overnight would be ... let's say ... miraculous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you're right. From what I could glean, it's brewed by Estrella's brewers in Estrella's brewery. I mentioned it here:

Sorry, I was not aware you had posted about it already. (otherwise I would have added to the existing thread). Like you I am a bit skeptical about studying yeasts in the monastery garden for two years, still the El Espanol article mentions this as well (and apparently this has been done by scientists from Oursense and Vigo). How much of this is fact, and how much comes from the imagination of the Estrella marketing department, I do not know... (but it is a good story anyway):)

I can believe it was two years in the making - but how much of that time was spent studying yeast, and how much was spent negotiating the fee for the singing monks is not clear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.