• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Etapa A Gudiña -Laza on the Sanabres

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Reading blogs and websites is half of the fun in preparing my Camino.
This is one particular etapa that frightens me a bit. I will stop in Campobecceros because no way I can do all those kilometres in one go.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/etapa-de-a-gudina-a-laza

But...
I read that it can be a dangerous affair because of the loose rocks especially when it rains.
Also the deviations because of the high speed train have to be taken into consideration.

Can any of the experienced Sanabres forummembers can give me some assurance....
Is there a pararell N-road to take because I would prefer asphalt instead of loose rocks.

Cheers everyone!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That stage was fine in Spring this year. Because of the bad/rainy weather I had, I walked the nearly whole stage alongside the road, which was fine. I did stay in Campobecceros and loved it and the village. Buen Camino, SY

That stage was fine in Spring this year. Because of the bad/rainy weather I had, I walked the nearly whole stage alongside the road, which was fine. I did stay in Campobecceros and loved it and the village. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you Sybille. I too will be walking end of March beginning of April. Good to know that I can take the road. Better safe than sorry. My plan is walking to Campobecerros and then a short day to Laza.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As I remember from my 2015 Sanabres there is only the last steep (but short) descent to Campobecerros with loose rocks. Not much to worry about because halfway down you can change to gravel zig-zag road instead of the narrow goat path. I have bad knees but nevertheless took later and was OK.

Cheers to you both! I know it will work out but it will be something completely different than Frances, Portugues and Ingles I did. The hills aren't the problem, I actually like walking up but the loose rocks worry me more when descending.

Hmm food...now we are talking ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I remember this stretch very well @SabineP because until the start of the descent I had been racing along with a spanish guy who was playing silly games. As soon as I reached the descent I immediately slowed down and let him pass me. There was no way I was going down that slope at any speed. It was ok taking it carefully with walking poles but I'm not sure if wet weather would have made much difference.

It is a stunning stage with the most fabulous scenery - you feel truly on top of the world.

I remember this stretch very well @SabineP because until the start of the descent I had been racing along with a spanish guy who was playing silly games. As soon as I reached the descent I immediately slowed down and let him pass me. There was no way I was going down that slope at any speed. It was ok taking it carefully with walking poles but I'm not sure if wet weather would have made much difference.

It is a stunning stage with the most fabulous scenery - you feel truly on top of the world.

Ok you got me convinced!

Bit off topic but we are having our regular holidays in Extremadura in two weeks time. Might check out some parts of the Via de la Plata around Caceres or Merida for a dayhike.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok you got me convinced!

Bit off topic but we are having our regular holidays in Extremadura in two weeks time. Might check out some parts of the Via de la Plata around Caceres or Merida for a dayhike.

I really want to return to both those cities as a tourist some time. The amphitheater in Mérida is just stunning. They have a programme of performances there sometimes. Also at the town we stayed on the Mozarabe one stop before Mérida - a place called Medellín. I didn't discover the Roman charms of this town, but a blogging friend I have from this area considers it better than Mérida.

Buen viaje!

Thanks magwood. I visited the area 20 years ago so curious to see what has changed. Really want to go back to Trujllo too.
Also Olivenza is a city I want to visit.The OH is already panicking when hearing my full schedule...;)

Conditions were pretty perfect when we were there last October 7. You should be fine if you lengthen your poles, hold / use them correctly, and walk deliberately. Image below is looking back up the hill part way through the descent.

¡Buen Camino!

Attachments

• descentaCampobecerros.jpg
    descentaCampobecerros.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Conditions were pretty perfect when we were there last October 7. You should be fine if you lengthen your poles, hold / use them correctly, and walk deliberately. Image below is looking back up the hill part way through the descent.

¡Buen Camino!

Thank you! Yes for the first time I might actually take poles with me.

Hi Sabs- lots of input so not much to add. I have done A Gudiña-Laza actually three times with a rest in Campobecerros (July 2013, October 2014 and July 2015). Each time was quite different due to the ever changing landscape (AVE construction).

The first time downhill into Campobecerros was horrible as construction was in full swing and dirt and dust everywhere. The truck drivers luckily let me follow their road so I avoided about 1/2 of the rocky trail. The last time actually didn't seem so bad but I always walk with poles. You can always cross over to the road at some point if it gets too much.

The downhill into Laza is never-ending but lovely.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@SabineP - I'm going to jump in on your thread (sorry) and ask if folks would recommend taking poles for the Via?

I had virtually decided not to take my Pacer's... I cant fit them easily in my pack and I thought I could take my bag as hand luggage without them. Is this an error of judgement? Would most folks recommend taking poles?

My wife and I both always use trekking poles and readily recommend them to all. We consider them a necessity for the ups and downs. I read where using poles on uphill can relieve your back and legs of up to 25 pounds. We are senior citizens and I am sure they help both stability and take pressure off of knees on the downhill.
Our poles breakdown into thirds and will fit either in our packs or lashed along outside. On one air flight I wrapped them together broken down and took them separately as carry-on.
When hiking we use the metal spike tips, but for transit we use the plastic/rubber covers so they don't appear threatening.

@SabineP - I'm going to jump in on your thread (sorry) and ask if folks would recommend taking poles for the Via?
When I did the VdlP a year ago, out of approximately 120 walkers encountered, only about 8 Peregrinos and 18 Trailergrinos were not using trekking poles... Some not using them consistently, but virtually everybody who went the whole way had them. No question in my mind.. I am a believer.

Attachments

• trailergrinos.JPG
    trailergrinos.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@SabineP ... Would most folks recommend taking poles?

Absolutely! I planned to buy poles in Sevilla but forgot about it and regretted it (balance when crossing streams f.e.) I was so happy when the hospitalero in Fuente de Cantos gifted me a wooden walking stick that carried me to Santiago ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Agree with @DLJ I never leave home without poles! They allow me to add at least 10-15 km to a days' stage without extra effort, not that everyone wants or needs to do long stages but that is how much the help me.

Mine are from Decathlon so nothing expensive but fit nicely into a 35 L Osprey pack. I too travel with rubber tips and - knock on wood - I have never been stopped. I even left twice from Bilbao airport although others from the Forum said they couldn't with poles. Maybe the rubber tips did the trick.

Agree with @DLJ I never leave home without poles! They allow me to add at least 10-15 km to a days' stage without extra effort, not that everyone wants or needs to do long stages but that is how much the help me.

Mine are from Decathlon so nothing expensive but fit nicely into a 35 L Osprey pack. I too travel with rubber tips and - knock on wood - I have never been stopped. I even left twice from Bilbao airport although others from the Forum said they couldn't with poles. Maybe the rubber tips did the trick.

Ok you got me convinced! I have some cheap ones here that I occasionally use. I will buy new ones in Zamora. I already checked out online and they seem to have some decent sportstores there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok you got me convinced! I have some cheap ones here that I occasionally use. I will buy new ones in Zamora. I already checked out online and they seem to have some decent sportstores there.
Smart decision because Sanabres is quite hilly :)

Ok you got me convinced!

Me too. I had an online-chat with Ryanair earlier and they said that I wouldn't be allowed to take them on as hand luggage at Bordeaux. So I'll box them and post them onward or I'll just check them but it looks like they're going to walk the VdlP with me.

:)

Me too. I had an online-chat with Ryanair earlier and they said that I wouldn't be allowed to take them on as hand luggage at Bordeaux. So I'll box them and post them onward or I'll just check them but it looks like they're going to walk the VdlP with me.

:)

Vueling/ Iberia and of course now Brussels Airport ( high security still ) do not allow you to have them as handluggage. And seeing I have to get onto public transport to Zamora quickly I do not want to waste time waiting for the poles . Especially seeing the well known delays from Iberia....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a Decathlon store on the way out of Zamora where you will find poles. It is not exactly on the camino but right beside it.

There is a Decathlon store on the way out of Zamora where you will find poles. It is not exactly on the camino but right beside it.

Cheers! Saw that and there is another sportstore in centre of town too. Thanks again.

Yes, sticks are a must in my book... so many uses, necessary for the hills, and for slippery slopes.

The top-of-the-world walk from A Gudiña to Campobecceros, we've done twice, and it was amazing both times. It can be wet and cloudy, but not to be missed if the weather is good. The loose slate, coming down into Campo is just a short section... take your time, use the sticks and you'll be fine Sabine.

Campobecceros became a special little place for me. The second time we stayed in the converted train station albergue 500m up the hill from the village. It was wonderful. Now I'm wondering if it's still open? Does anyone know please?

Buen camino. Carole

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, sticks are a must in my book... so many uses, necessary for the hills, and for slippery slopes.

The top-of-the-world walk from A Gudiña to Campobecceros, we've done twice, and it was amazing both times. It can be wet and cloudy, but not to be missed if the weather is good. The loose slate, coming down into Campo is just a short section... take your time, use the sticks and you'll be fine Sabine.

Campobecceros became a special little place for me. The second time we stayed in the converted train station albergue 500m up the hill from the village. It was wonderful. Now I'm wondering if it's still open? Does anyone know please?

Buen camino. Carole

Cheers Carole ,this is a great reassurance!
From what I read the albergue in Campobecerros is still open.

Buen camino. Carole
Hi, Carole,

In summer 2015 the albergue in train station was used for workers on AVE construction site. But there is very nice private one and maybe this year already with promissed kitchen and dinning area:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-da-rosario
Can provide some photos if you wish.

Oh ok Kinky! So the one in the Gronze , this Rosario is not in the trainstation? Good to know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh ok Kinky! So the one in the Gronze , this Rosario is not in the trainstation? Good to know.
Exactly. When you cross the bridge into Campobecerros there is Iglesia de Santiago on your righthand side. The narrow main (hardly :)) street goes to the left and soon you get to the bar on left side (also small tienda there and reportedly good home cooking). They are also owners of the albergue and you can get the key there. A man showed up later in the afteroon to check in the two of us. He said the kitchen was in the planning stage so maybe it is already there.
Another restaurant that really looks like a restaurant very close to the albergue, just a few meters up the street. The dinner was OK, but nothing special.
Take a look at the pics.

Attachments

• Santiago in Campobecceros.jpg
    Santiago in Campobecceros.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Santiago in Campobecerros02.jpg
    Santiago in Campobecerros02.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 8
  • Albergue da Rosario01.jpg
    Albergue da Rosario01.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Albergue da Rosario02.jpg
    Albergue da Rosario02.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Albergue da Rosario03.jpg
    Albergue da Rosario03.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Albergue da Rosario04.jpg
    Albergue da Rosario04.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Albergue da Rosario05.jpg
    Albergue da Rosario05.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 7
Thanks! Think I'm going to like the Sanabres. I decided to start in Granja de Moreruela and not in Tabara and take my chance with the height issue/ vertigo leaving Granja....Yes I can, so I hope :p

Thanks! Think I'm going to like the Sanabres. I decided to start in Granja de Moreruela and not in Tabara and take my chance with the height issue/ vertigo leaving Granja....Yes I can, so I hope :p
It's very beautiful Camino. Kind of like Invierno but with more albergues and people walking it especially after Ourense (qualificate for Compostela). The vistas from A Gudina to Campobecerros and further on to Laza are just awesome. And in my eyes the nicest entering Santiago. Also very touching because you cross the bridge over the rail lines where that awfull train wreck happened few years ago.

I would suggest to start in Zamora. Much easier to get to and also a beautiful city. Two short stages to Granja for warming up :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes I will travel to Zamora but bus to Granja...Unfortunately...time restraints and seeing I cannot handle stages longer than 25 / 27 k per day I want to be on the safe side in arriving SdC.
The airfare ticket for next March for Brussels-Madrid with Iberia or SN Brussels is ridiculously cheap for only 40 €. Unbelievable....

The airfare ticket for next March for Brussels-Madrid with Iberia or SN Brussels is ridiculously cheap for only 40 €. Unbelievable....

Ryanair is going to start that route in autumn. That might explain why Iberia and Brussels Airlines have such low fares.

Ryanair is going to start that route in autumn. That might explain why Iberia and Brussels Airlines have such low fares.

Aha !
It is always such a difficult decision for me : train versus airplane here in Europe when you are thinking about " your ecological footprint ". But no trainservice can compete against these sharp airfares.

€46,-
Thanks Sabine and Kinky. Good to have this update on Campobecerros. The new albergue looks really nice and... new.

I was just a little attached to the train station conversion/albergue. In 2006, with no accom available in Campo, we caught the 'once-a-day' train from Campo back to A Gudiña, so spent time up at the deserted railway building, waiting to hail the train, dreaming about making an albergue
in the wonderful old building. (As you do)

In 2011, there it was, converted and operating as a wonderful albergue. The plumbing was not perfect but the view wonderful. It felt so special to me.
I love the way a small place, village or happening, can become so significant in our memories.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the Rosario albergue. Carole

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back