• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Etapes from Salamanca

Brigidam

I plan to walk from Salamanca to Santiago via Sanabrés. Some of the etapes seem to be very long, up to 40 km. I can walk no more than 25 km a day. Does anyone know if there are albergues and/or pensions between these long etapes, so that I can be sure to avoid having to walk 30-40 km?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You might check out this Gronze on line list for Etapa 20 onward and in particular Etapa 24S to see what accommodation is available.

Good hunting and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a couple of long stages after Merida and before Salamanca, but after Salamanca it is easily possible to walk reasonable distances.
If there are not albergues...there are pensions, etc.

Thanks a lot! It is my first time on via de la Plata. I can see that on many albergues there are not many beds. Have any of you experienced that the albergue is full when you get there? And if it is, and you are too tired to walk any further, what do you do? To take a taxi would be the last thing I would do. Is there a bus line on the route?

The numbers of Pilgrims on the VdlP are much less than other routes...except from Orense which is the 100 km mark on the Sanabres. It gets a bit crowded then.

I actually did the VdlP in mid August and had no problems with full albergues. I was the only one in the albergues..night after night. I had a full choice of beds.

I started to see others about Salamanca...and then the rest of the way.

Have you done other routes?
If you d0 run into a full albergues...there should be alternative choices such as pensions. I really do not think that full albergues are something you will need to have concern over....it is not the CF.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your answer!

I did CF three times. Last time in 2013.

I just saw on Google Earth that the way from Salamanca to El Cubo de tierra del Vino is along a very big highway all the way. Looks like a tiring etape to start. So I think maybe I will start in Zamora.

... I actually did the VdlP in mid August and had no problems with full albergues. I was the only one in the albergues..night after night. ...

No surprise! Everybody else had died of dehydration, exhaustion and sun stroke me thinks ...

Glad you lived to tell the tale! SY

I plan to walk from Salamanca to Santiago via Sanabrés. Some of the etapes seem to be very long, up to 40 km. I can walk no more than 25 km a day. Does anyone know if there are albergues and/or pensions between these long etapes, so that I can be sure to avoid having to walk 30-40 km?
I am also planning 20-25km stage. Taking the stage schedule @jirit produced.
If you like maps/elevation profile, you can download that pdf from the resources section as well.
Gerald kelly's vdlp guide lists all the accommodations along the route as well, i attach that here.

Attachments

• ViadelaPlataGuide.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 34
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recently returned from walking Salamanca to Santiago. Most of my etapes were no more than 25 km. and several were less. I only walked 32 km on three days and two of those days could have been shorter since there were albergues open in villages I passed through. Even the 30 km days were doable for an out of shape 61 year old that didn't train before leaving for the Camino. I completed my Camino in 20 days. I stayed in two casa rurals due to railway workers taking up rooms. I used the Via de la Plata guide by Gerald Kelly and an app I downloaded to my phone on the VdlP by Melanie Radziki McManus. She walked in March 2014 and has some good tips especially regarding the detours due to the railroad construction. I think Gronze.com was the most helpful source for planning my etapes. You can creat a personalized chart that shows all of the towns with albergues/pensions, altitude and distance. Hope this helps.

On all my Plata trips (via the Sanabrés) I used the Spanish site www.godesalco.com. Click on Vía de la Plata then Planificador. It allows you to click on the distance you want to walk and you can make up your own stages. It says whether there are albergues, hostales etc. You can also download profiles of each stages.

As others have mentioned Jirits lists are very helpful.

The Sanabrés in general has the posibility to split up stages, which is not always possible from Sevilla.

I walked from Zamora July 2013 and from Salamanca this past October. Neither times were the albergues full.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back