• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Etiquette question of the day...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Etiquette answer of the day - There was no man, you never saw any man, you don't even know what a man is. Simply give this non-existing man the same courtesy you would expect when being caught squatting down to do the female equivalent. Buen Camino, SY

On the, long, walk home from the pub my dad would occasionally stop to 'look for birds' nests'. My mother would occasionally disappear off track to ' see how the blackberries were doing'. I never noticed them doing anything else. My brother and I were occasionally encouraged to 'water the trees'. No-one seemed to take any notice of that either.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When passing a man with his shlong out peeing, as a female does one say Bonjour or turn your head away???? :p
:p:p Such a sight appeared to me when my companion and I were trekking up a steep hill nearing Santiago. Unbeknownst to me, the Camino at that point was adjacent to a highway. Anyway, I looked up and there was a motorist standing next to his car, directly facing us and having a whizz. I immediately lowered my eyes (my companion and I were both wearing hats with brims) and I said to her, "Don't look up, don't look up."

On the whole, it is a very bad thing to pee (´caus that´s what it is) along the French Way, as areas along the route are mostly privately owned.
As I was newly prostate operated, I had to plan my water stops, use the facilities at the cafe or restaurant, where I took my coffe or tea.
As you politely leave ½ a Euro if you use facilities without buying, one might as well have a proper pit stop. And what a proper hydration scheme that is!! fluids in and drainage out....the simplicity of it all...
I truly loved my small interruptions...
As for the sight itself, what about you girls/women put a little humour into the situation and just whistle.... that´ll teach them...
Imagine three women going catcalling... I myself would sink into the ground on the spot...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It happens.
Look straight ahead, say "Buen Camino", and keep walking.

The phrase "custody of the eyes" was mentioned by @Albertagirl on a similar thread today - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/underwear-please-no-boxers.40694/#post-411400 - seems the appropriate response here too! I would like to think we'd all extend the same courtesy to whoever might be "caught short" along the way, whatever their gender. Just don't notice them. Of course, if a cheery "buen camino!" issues forth from behind a tree or bush as you pass, there's no harm in replying in kind as you continue on your way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found the need for privacy diminish each day. What else when there is a highway next to the camino and nothing in the way of cover to be seen for kilometers. When the highway was west of the camino I would at least face East ... and probably a bit North East so as not to cause an accident.

If you want to look feel free ... I expect to be paid for photos ... and no touch without permission.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Especially true on the Meseta where it can be 2-3 hours between towns.

Ladies - I bought a Freshette which allows me to pee standing up with very minimal clothing adjustment. I love it! There are many other brands out there but that's the one I have. It folds up fairly small and comes with a heavy plastic zip bag. Lightweight too.

Etiquette answer of the day - There was no man, you never saw any man, you don't even know what a man is. Simply give this non-existing man the same courtesy you would expect when being caught squatting down to do the female equivalent. Buen Camino, SY
Good answer..

:p:p Such a sight appeared to me when my companion and I were trekking up a steep hill nearing Santiago. Unbeknownst to me, the Camino at that point was adjacent to a highway. Anyway, I looked up and there was a motorist standing next to his car, directly facing us and having a whizz. I immediately lowered my eyes (my companion and I were both wearing hats with brims) and I said to her, "Don't look up, don't look up."
Oh come on.....for goodness sake...!1

When passing a man with his shlong out peeing, as a female does one say Bonjour or turn your head away???? :p
I'm a fan of an enthusiastic wave and a robust hello. If nothing else he'll choose his next piddling spot with greater care.

Actually and very seriously, we men know what the real problem is here. It's envy!!! It's just so easy for us to find relief and it drives women crazy. The latest thing is plastic penises for women, except of course we can't call them that can we, although there was one on the market in the UK called a SheeWee. I have to admit, I'm not sure how many 'e's there were in that name, but we'll go for 4 as a good guess! There's something outdoorsy and virile about this........ it's so outdoorsy and virile, I feel a song coming on........
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatry.
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Especially true on the Meseta where it can be 2-3 hours between towns.

Ladies - I bought a Freshette which allows me to pee standing up with very minimal clothing adjustment. I love it! There are many other brands out there but that's the one I have. It folds up fairly small and comes with a heavy plastic zip bag. Lightweight too.

I tried it. Peed all down my leg. Squatting works for me. Lol.

Whilst researching what I may need for this trip, Sheewee and nipple protectors came up and thought I had come across a fetish website...... My original post was to have conveyed a humorous conundrum (said male was not a peregrino) :):D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On one merry expedition along the Portuguese, we started collecting euphemisms for seeking a pee-spot outdoors: "gotta see a man about a horse," "Pay the water bill," "contribute to the ecosystem" "allocate additional inner space," right down to "do the tube-shake," "wet the leaves," "hunker down," or "examine the facilities." My all-around favorite was "it's time to shake hands with the president."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of my more memorable Camino experiences was rounding a bend on the meseta and coming to a row of four young Germans singing a Bach chorale (I remembered the tune and have since identified it as Christ lag in Todesbanden), and heard a women's voice choking with laughter from behind them. They were students from Gottingen who were kindly providing a visual and aural shield for their companion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If the man is trying to be discreet, then I would ignore him.

If he's peeing out in the open when he could have politely gone behind a tree, I would say, "D minus" as I passed by. :p

If the man is trying to be discreet, then I would ignore him.

If he's peeing out in the open when he could have politely gone behind a tree, I would say, "D minus" as I passed by. :p

@psychotic parrot:
There is a good chance that he would know no English and would not have the faintest idea what you were saying. Even if he knew some English, your comment might not mean anything at all to him, in his own cultural context. It took me a while to get used to the men in Montreal simply turning their backs when they wished to urinate, but that was the local custom. As a newcomer from a somewhat different culture, it was not my business to try to correct them. I think it was rather like the old idea about an ostrich becoming invisible if it hid its head in the sand. It seemed to work, for men only. I have seen a young girl in East Africa squatting down by the path to urinate, then simply standing up and going on. She wore a skirt, and presumably no underwear. In general, I try to accept the local customs when travelling, although I regret the litter which is left on the camino by our current toilet practices.

I'm taking a little roll of doggie poo bags then any 'tissue' or food wrappers I can put in a bag and dispose of it at the next available bin. There's really no need to leave litter about and any waste should be covered etc. I live in Scotland which is quite remote and wouldn't dream of leaving used toilet tissue blowing about.

Also here's a true story that happened just last month. Two dogs belonging to the same owner died a horrible death through "poisoning " in a remote area right here where I live when all was investigated the only thing the vets came up with was that one dog ate human waste from someone who had been on drugs either legal or illegal the second dog began to eat the vomit from the first one. And died later. Please be considerate where you go to the loo. I know we all can get caught short but a little thought is all that's needed. Buen Camino you lovely people. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the, long, walk home from the pub my dad would occasionally stop to 'look for birds' nests'. My mother would occasionally disappear off track to ' see how the blackberries were doing'. I never noticed them doing anything else. My brother and I were occasionally encouraged to 'water the trees'. No-one seemed to take any notice of that either.
Fortunately never had the problem on the camino but pub is the operative word. On the camino I never ever drink beer or wine when I stop for second breakfast or lunch. Coffee or tea only. But like your Dad, have been there when walking home from the local :)

May have told this before . . .

September 2001 a fellow pilgrim had crested the Sierra del Perdon and was dying for a pee - there's not, as I'm sure you remember, much cover on the way up.

Sheltering behind a convenient tree he let nature take its course when (in his words) a charming Frenchwoman popped up from nowhere and, looking at the flow said "M'sieur, yellow pee is God's way of telling you that you are not drinking enouth water!"

He looked down he saw he'd soaked his boots . . . .

On the Camino, when confronted with this sort of situation, I find it most helpful to quote Shakespeare VERY LOUDLY when passing said peeing pilgrim. "To pee, or not to pee, that is the question" is a particularly good one! ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.