• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Etiquette/ what to wear at churches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being open and honest about it puts you way ahead of most if not all of the hypocrites and there are plenty of them here.
In a sense, we're all hypocrites. The only people who never violate their own standards are those who don't have any.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a Catholic from the USA, people attend mass in very casual clothing and shorts are not uncommon when it is hot.

Some places are more conservative than others. Generally, the basic dress code for conservative Catholic mass attendance is cover the shoulders and the knees. That is it!. You could wear a tee shirt and shorts (as long as the shorts covered the knees) and you would be allowed into St Peter's Basilica in Rome.

So for a pilgrim in rural Spain (where they might be more conservative), a shirt that covers the shoulders and shorts/skirt/pants or whatever that covers the knees would meet the standard of a conservative parish.

That being said, the priest will be happy with anyone who attends, since attendance numbers all over the world, including in Spain, are seriously dropping.

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FWIW The nuns at the large Albergue in Leon ( municipal I believe) were not at all concerned that I was wearing shorts and scruffy tee shirt when trying to shepherd me toward Benediction when I stayed there nor were they concerned that I was a lapsed catholic. Smelly scruffy pilgrims are a common sight along the way to Santiago and perhaps the code we might stick to at home can indeed be seen as "guidelines" while on the way.

That being said, the priest will be happy with anyone who attends, since attendance numbers all over the world, including in Spain, are seriously dropping.
America, Canada, and especially Western Europe attendance is declining. Most everywhere else is doing pretty well. Many countries in Central America, South America, and Africa have Catholic Churches with very high attendance numbers-- many have 80-90% attendance. A priest I know from the Philippines came from a parish which has twelve masses each Sunday!

The Church gains over 17 million people a year. To put the numbers into perspective, that's like gaining a Netherlands full of Catholics each year.

People in Western countries tend to think their views and lifestyles represent the world, and often have an unspoken assumption that their current beliefs are a sort of "leading edge" predicting the future for the rest of the world.

Hello everyone,

I was hoping for a little advice. I would like to visit and attend mass as often as I can along my Camino. I’m not Catholic or even Christian. I understand that I should dress appropriately and plan on bringing a full length jumpsuit, with a shawl to cover my shoulders. If it fits in my pack, I’ll even bring a light cardigan.

Is it ok to be wearing flip flops? It’s either that or my dusty walking shoes. What does everyone else do?

Also, other than be respectful, anything I should be aware of during mass?

Thanks
Fi
Please delete if my response is inappropriate for this forum.

Ficklefancyfree, by writing this post you already show that you are respectful.

I’m not a Catholic but I am a committed Christian and a Lutheran.

Reverence, good manners, and modest dress show respect for a place of worship. You can simply cover bare skin with a scarf. As a pilgrim on the Camino, people know there are limitations to your attire and won’t expect special “church clothes”. Jesus himself was modestly dressed but he had dusty clothing and sandals.

You are a pilgrim on a long journey… who is seeking to understand. Yes, you can sit and observe, or attend the service. Asking questions does not require belief.

I enter every European Catholic Church I come across. I rarely attend mass. I sit quietly in the back. I may have dusty flip flops but my arms and above my knees are covered. I never, ever tire of the beauty and magnificence of Euro churches.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,

I was hoping for a little advice. I would like to visit and attend mass as often as I can along my Camino. I’m not Catholic or even Christian. I understand that I should dress appropriately and plan on bringing a full length jumpsuit, with a shawl to cover my shoulders. If it fits in my pack, I’ll even bring a light cardigan.

Is it ok to be wearing flip flops? It’s either that or my dusty walking shoes. What does everyone else do?

Also, other than be respectful, anything I should be aware of during mass?

Thanks
Fi
Scriptures of all "faiths" tell us that the Divine seeks US.....so if you feel called, go and be open to your feelings. Don't worry about the "stuff" of religion. You are welcome; no need to fear.

Nothing wrong with curiosity 😀 but I do urge you to make contact with your local resources. You’ll be as welcome at mass in the UK as you will be in Spain with the advantage of a shared language to help you understand what is going on.
This old pagan has made pilgrimage to Santiago and the shrine of one who may have touched the divine. And though I have attended Mass it was with my understanding that I could not participate.
Hola hermano
All are welcome at a Catholic Mass, the word Catholic in Greek means universal.
There are some areas of respect as you prudently asked, as a non Catholic you cannot receive the holy Eucharist. Other than that, as someone mentioned just watch when folks kneel, sit and stand, you’ll be fine.

Curiosity? I went to a CofE primary school, sang hymns. At home I had to light joss sticks and honour my ancestors on certain dates throughout the year.

It was a confusing time. I guess I would like to experience other how other people experience faith? I’m still unsure if I’m honest.

Attending as often as I can might also be a little ambitious. Experience at least once during my Camino might be more realistic.

If it’s not ok, please tell me it’s not ok. I don’t want to do anything that is not appropriate. But if you don’t know, you don’t know. And the only way I will know is to see and try.
Please, you do not have to explain or justify your desire to experience a church service--not to anyone. We are not police trying to investigate your motives. The Christian God welcomes all, no exceptions. Go, enjoy the experience, enjoy life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

This poster in an Italian church, also adequate for Spain.

Asks you to avoid shorts, miniskirts, nude shoulders.

As asked by the other poster : don't forget to shut off your phone. God might speak to you when you are in church, but not by phone. Having your phone ringing during a mass is embarrassing...

P1060427_800.jpg

Hola hermano
All are welcome at a Catholic Mass, the word Catholic in Greek means universal.
There are some areas of respect as you prudently asked, as a non Catholic you cannot receive the holy Eucharist. Other than that, as someone mentioned just watch when folks kneel, sit and stand, you’ll be fine.
In principle, I’m sure you think you’re right, but I assume you’ve not spent much time in Glasgow or Belfast.

Theory and practice do diverge.

Happily the OP’s question relates to the Camino Frances, along the route of which is to be found a welcome to mass regardless of your chosen or given or no religious affiliation.

The church in Rabanal goes in for Gregorian chants (as does the Gaucelmo refugio at breakfast time - to wake up the Pilgrims).
I am hoping most fervently that the morning music at breakfast time at Gaucelmo is a recording. I shall be serving as a hospitalera there in October and my plainchant could wake the dead.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am hoping most fervently that the morning music at breakfast time at Gaucelmo is a recording. I shall be serving as a hospitalera there in October and my plainchant could wake the dead.
"my plainchant could wake the dead" surely that's the point ;)

Sadly it's (was?) a CD though you can get gullible pilgrims to believe it's the brothers next door.
Start the CD off quietly and slowly raise the volume. The machine used to be kept in the office next to the kitchen (but that was a long time ago).
I envy your stay - it's a great place to live for a coupe of weeks.

"dress appropriately" is still a fairly wide field ...

I do recall reading an anecdote in which a priest was quoted as saying he would rather see a pilgrim in shorts inside his church than see a pilgrim in long trousers walk past the church...

I have also seen a pilgrim in a church in Gannon tapped on the shoulder by a parishioner indicating he should remove his hat.

SO what is 'appropriate'? IMHO, if it is a service frequented by pilgrims, the measure of 'appropriateness' is different to what would be applied in a service held primarily for residents of the area.
Men should never wear hats in a Catholic church, women no longer need to cover their heads with hat or shawls. ( When I was a child my nana would bobby pin tissues to our heads if we didn’t have a head covering.) Shoulders and knees should be covered. Dress respectfully as churches/cathedrals are places of worship for Catholics. As a Catholic I would never enter a place of worship irrespective of religion without being dressed in a respectfull manner as I expect others to do when I am in my church. I understand that churches and cathedrals are also “tourist sites”, but first they are holy places for the people that worship there. It really is not difficult to dress appropriately.

Men should never wear hats in a Catholic church, women no longer need to cover their heads with hat or shawls. ( When I was a child my nana would bobby pin tissues to our heads if we didn’t have a head covering.) Shoulders and knees should be covered. Dress respectfully as churches/cathedrals are places of worship for Catholics. As a Catholic I would never enter a place of worship irrespective of religion without being dressed in a respectfull manner as I expect others to do when I am in my church. I understand that churches and cathedrals are also “tourist sites”, but first they are holy places for the people that worship there. It really is not difficult to dress appropriately.
I think the point of many posts here in resposne to the original question is to the effect that it is not necessary to carry specific clothes for use when entering a church - standard pilgrim clothes can still be 'respectful'...

I remember speeding up my walk one Sunday morning a couple of years ago hearing bells ringing as I was heading towards Santiago on the Sanabres. When I reached the village, the bells had stopped and I continued to hurry, entering the church from the main door to quietly sit down in a row near the back of the church and listen. My Spanish was not up to following the service, but I joined in as best I could, feeling joyful at the unexpected chance to share common worship on a Sunday morning. I did not give a thought to my clothing.

I think the point of many posts here in resposne to the original question is to the effect that it is not necessary to carry specific clothes for use when entering a church - standard pilgrim clothes can still be 'respectful'...
My post did not say that it was necessary to carry specific clothes for use when entering a church. As to the statement: "standard pilgrim clothes can still be respectful" is a matter of opinion. I have seen pilgrims enter the cathedral in clothing that could be considered "standard pilgrim", but I as a Catholic find it disrespectful in my place of worship. It is not difficult to carry clothing that would withstand the guards at St. Peter's Basilica, given that the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela is second only in importance St. Peter's for Catholics. I would not consider entering a synagogue or mosque or temple not dressed as respectfully as I would in my own place of worship.

Not sure about the knees and shoulders rules stipulated here ... it is, after all, Santiago and not the Vatican.

A reality check: Sunday, August 21, 2022, Pilgrim Mass at noon, celebrated by the Archbishop of the Cathedral of Santiago, assisted by a group of priests from 5 or so countries, among them from France and Poland. Screenshot from the live broadcast below.

The Archbishop has just announced that the Botafumeiro is sponsored by two groups, one from a parish near Madrid and the other one from Como in Italy. The person who was selected to read the first lecture (?) from the Bible is most likely a member of either the Spanish or Italian group - presumably the Spanish group, judging by the lack of a foreign accent. Sleeveless top and shorts. And while shorts are an unusual sight for me who is used to more Northern climes and also to a rather rural idea of what is decent attire, this does not look indecent to me in 2022 and for a young Spanish churchgoer from a Madrid parish.

Misa 21 August 2022.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't join the line, don't cross your arms, because the priest is not handing out blessings at that moment.
In France at least he does, but this attitude is mostly used by children, before they reach the required age to participate to eucharist.

Gosh! Maybe it’s just me but surely I can’t be the only one that finds this to be inappropriate?
Late to the party, it’s not just you.

A simple question got simple answers in the first few posts. Since then I’m amazed at the number of posters introducing their own prejudices.

The thread should have been locked a while ago.

Late to the party, it’s not just you.

A simple question got simple answers in the first few posts. Since then I’m amazed at the number of posters introducing their own prejudices.

The thread should have been locked a while ago.
I tend to agree with you, and as the op has been more than well and truly answered I will lock the thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.