• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Etroubles to Aosta OR Quart?

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm starting to plan our VF walk from Aigle to Lucca in September. Wondered if anyone had a thought as to whether to stay in Aosta or push on to Quart? The attraction to Quart is that it gets us a bit further and thus, the next leg to Chattillon is shorter. Plus, Aosta seems like more of a city? Any accommodation recommendations for either place? Any other highlights for lodging enroute to Lucca...looking for simple, affordable, auberges, B and B's, hostels all good

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2018, I walked from GSBP to Aosta in one day - definitely not recommended! Who knew those Alps could be so &^%$# steep?? I stayed in Aosta at La Belle Epoque. It was ordinary, expensive and the staff were incredibly rude - so I definitely wouldn't recommend that one.

If you want to avoid the hills on from Aosta to Chattillon, you can take a very flat path on the edge of the river all the way to Chatillon. It is long, but very flat in comparison.

I blogged each day and included comments on the terrain and where I stayed. I have included the link below. Make sure you also check out the https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/ website. It is excellent and they have a good list of pilgrim friendly accommodation.

Happy walking and planning. Mel

Thanks so much Mel. Tonight I will be reading every word of your blog. I am appreciative of you sharing it with me. We do plan to only go as far as Etroubles after being at the Col. Then, on to Aosta or Quart.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much Mel. Tonight I will be reading every word of your blog. I am appreciative of you sharing it with me. We do plan to only go as far as Etroubles after being at the Col. Then, on to Aosta or Quart.
You are smart to stop at Etroubles!! :) It is a beautiful walk....just not all in one day! Happy to answer any questions although I am sure there are many people on this forum with more recent experience than my own way back in 2018.

The route from Aosta to Quart is downhill and along a quiet river walk. Very pleasant.

On the other hand, Aosta has history, food and wide variety of shops and is better for a rest day than a stop.

There's no definite answer as it depends on the type of walker and your needs at the time.

I'm starting to plan our VF walk from Aigle to Lucca in September. Wondered if anyone had a thought as to whether to stay in Aosta or push on to Quart? The attraction to Quart is that it gets us a bit further and thus, the next leg to Chattillon is shorter. Plus, Aosta seems like more of a city? Any accommodation recommendations for either place? Any other highlights for lodging enroute to Lucca...looking for simple, affordable, auberges, B and B's, hostels all good
In 2019 I walked from Aosta to Rome. I LOVED Aosta and wished I had spent more time in the city. Aosta is full of ancient Roman stuff and medieval things to see, but I was in too much of a hurry to get on the Via Francigena. Coming down out of the Alps is fantanstic. What scenery!!! But when you get to the Po river valley it is like being on the Meseta in Spain. Flat and slightly boring. I got to Lucca at exactly the wrong time. There was a comic book festival going on there and the place was full of costumed kids all over the place and there was no room left in the ostello for REAL pilgrims. But any way I would recommend Aosta.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The GSB to Aosta is feasible depending on fitness, but not recommended. In Aosta the little hotel Al Caminetto http://www.hotelalcaminetto.info/ is pilgrim-friendly and very good value. It's worth spending time in Aosta anyway. Alos check out the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk. Loads of information - especially on crossing the GSB.

I'm now curious about how exactly to get the river boat across the Po after Orio Litta and before Piacenza. Is it possible to arrange that at the Ostello in Orio Litta. Or did you call the boat people directly? Thanks always for any guidance. Also, it looks like the Parochial in Santa Christina is closed all year due to Covid. While that might be different by September, I couldn't find any other lodging in that town? Thoughts?

I'm now curious about how exactly to get the river boat across the Po after Orio Litta and before Piacenza. Is it possible to arrange that at the Ostello in Orio Litta. Or did you call the boat people directly? Thanks always for any guidance. Also, it looks like the Parochial in Santa Christina is closed all year due to Covid. While that might be different by September, I couldn't find any other lodging in that town? Thoughts?
If your Italian is ok then call Danilo directly. Otherwise the hostels at Orio Litta and Santa Cristina e Bissone will help you out if it's open. Anywhere you stay should do a telephone call for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If your Italian is ok then call Danilo directly.
Danilo can be reached at 0523771607. It is best to contact him 24 hours in advance to reserve a spot onboard his boat. His early morning (first trip) is at 0830.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Harrington. Exactly the info I needed! How long is the trip?
Less than ten minutes. It's wonderful. Btw 'Harington', not Harrington.

In 2018, I walked from GSBP to Aosta in one day - definitely not recommended! Who knew those Alps could be so &^%$# steep?? I stayed in Aosta at La Belle Epoque. It was ordinary, expensive and the staff were incredibly rude - so I definitely wouldn't recommend that one.

If you want to avoid the hills on from Aosta to Chattillon, you can take a very flat path on the edge of the river all the way to Chatillon. It is long, but very flat in comparison.

I blogged each day and included comments on the terrain and where I stayed. I have included the link below. Make sure you also check out the https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/ website. It is excellent and they have a good list of pilgrim friendly accommodation.

Happy walking and planning. Mel

Almost finished reading your blog - informative and enjoyable - thank you.You seemed to do some long Ks - no problems ?

We stayed in st christophe, just after Aosta in a v nice villa from booking.com, too big for us but it wasnt expensive as i recall. In chatillon i highly recommend le lierre, also found on booking.com, they are lovely people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
WE may push on to St. Christophe...and yes, we are booked at Le Lierre! Thanks for your help
Just to be clear , we stopped in Etroubles so walked from there to st christophe, not all the way from the pass!

Cant help with Santa christina as thats where we stayed. A kind hotel manager rang Danilo for us a few days prior to our crossing. We crossed about 4.30pm and stayed in calendasco that night at a booking.com place run by a uk family and ate in a small templar themed restaurant in the tiny village, but check it is still open as not sure if theres an alternative. The river crossing took only 10 mins, a shame as the breeze was fabulous go8ng along the river and mosquitoes couldnt keep up!! Then you spend about 20 mins at Danilo’s home filling out the record book. He is a great guy.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.