Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

EU opening up for Vaccinated travellers from outside the EU

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
NBC National morning news in NY and NY Times reporting as well that EU will be open to vaccinated Americans.
Looking forward to details for Spain as each country can tweak its requirements! 😃😃😃

Last edited:
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

DuaneS

Past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
I suspect it won't happen until the EU rolls out their vaccine passport in June..

DuaneS

Past OR future Camino
Camino Jewellery
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
..at least this is the rumours in EL Pais right now:
Últimas noticias del coronavirus, en directo | La UE abre sus fronteras para los extranjeros vacunados | Sociedad | EL PAÍS (elpais.com)

I have not seen anything official announced yet, but it might be imminent.
Ivar, I am thinking of walking Primitivo and Fisterra routes in August. Will travel from New Zealand to Germany to look after my parents, then on to Spain.
I have flights on hold. Does that sound realistic? Is the Primitivo open?
Do you have info re pilgrim covid insurance in Galicia? Many thanks, Gitti

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, sounds realistic to me. Not sure the status on the primitivo, but my guess is that is is walkable and that there are lodging options on each stage.

The COVID insurance has not officially been announced yet, soon I think. There was another thread on this a few days ago here on the forum (on mobile now).

JohnLloyd

Author of "Go Your Own Way"
Past OR future Camino
Francés - SJPDP to SdC - Autumn 2018
Portugués - Porto to SdC - Spring 2019
Francés again - ASAP
This is very good news.

So for me, getting my second AZ jab on Tuesday, this means that I might be able to walk the Inglés in the near future?

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Yes, sounds realistic to me. Not sure the status on the primitivo, but my guess is that is is walkable and that there are lodging options on each stage.

The COVID insurance has not officially been announced yet, soon I think. There was another thread on this a few days ago here on the forum (on mobile now).
Thank you very much!

Camino Magnets
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
This is very good news.

So for me, getting my second AZ jab on Tuesday, this means that I might be able to walk the Inglés in the near future?
It seems so.

But there are still uncertaincies: Having a standard way of presenting your vaccination record, most likely in the form of a QR code on your phone pointing to a certified presentation of your vaccine status, the question of quarantine on your return home, how long since your second shot (some say one week, others two), etc. It will most likely take some weeks more for the EU (and member countries, as well as the rest of the world) to seek out the right rules. I am getting my 2nd Pfizer next Wednesday.

So we are not yet quite there, but I am now very optimistic. It seems there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not a coming train.

But it is very good news that the EU is now including the rest of the world in their opening plans, not only member states, into their solution. Good news for USA/Australia/Britain, and others, not mentioned, but not forgotten.

I am now hoping for a month's trip to Crete in late June-July, and a loong camino in Sept-Oct.

Last edited:

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you very much!
I just texted someone in Oviedo (that knows the Primitivo and the business along that route). I asked about if it was possible to walk now.. she said:

B11180C3-84F8-4A57-807F-0DBC29D442AA.jpeg
Yes, if you stay in a mix of albergues, small hotels and casas rurales.

She will set up a list of current lodging options on this route and send them to me. Will post it when I get it.

Katia Taam

Past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
Not all vaccines are valid, only EU approved ones. Be sure to check that. In brasil they use some that
Here in Brazil we have Coronavac, Astrazeneca and Pfizer. My husband and I did have Astrazeneca. YES, YES, YES !!!

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
It seems so.

But there are still uncertaincies: Having a standard way of presenting your vaccination record, most likely in the form of a QR code on your phone pointing to a certified presentation of your vaccine status, the question of quarantine on your return home, how long since your second shot (some say one week, others two), etc. It will most likely take some weeks more for the EU (and member countries, as well as the rest of the world) to seek out the right rules. I am getting my 2nd Pfizer next Wednesday.

So we are not yet quite there, but I am now very optimistic. It seems there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not a coming train.

But it is very good news that the EU is now including the rest of the world in their opening plans, not only member states, into their solution. Good news for USA/Australia/Britain, and others not,mentioned, but not forgotten.

I am now hoping for a month's trip to Crete in late June-July, and a loong camino in Sept-Oct.
Alexwalker, I am glad that things are finally going to be working out for you!

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Tartrazine

Past OR future Camino
There are reports in the UK press this morning that Spain and France may require details about accommodation as a condition of entry. Not sure how (or if) that would work for a Camino.

DuaneS

Past OR future Camino
the facilities on the ground on the caminos are not ready for a big influx of people. If you are among the first wave or two, be prepared for anything. Bring lots of money, and maybe a bivvy bag.
I agree with this a - I walked from Pamplona to Logroño this last week and hardly anything is open - few to none albergues, and most cafes along the route are shuttered. Some of the smaller stops like Torres Del Río were ghost towns with nothing open. I suspect it’ll take quite a while for the infrastructure to return.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
There are reports in the UK press this morning that Spain and France may require details about accommodation as a condition of entry. Not sure how (or if) that would work for a Camino.
There are a number of private albergues that are or are opening soon on the CF Orisson, Albergue Guiana in Ponferrada and Casa Barbadelo (near Sarria). For a long time they were not available...so hopefully others will gradually open up as well. They are a bit more expensive for USA citizens, partly because the dollar is currently lower and partly because the facilities are charging a bit more. Check ahead - before you walk a section. If stops are not open then simply pack snacks and lunches, and extra water..

Camino Jewellery
Camino Magnets

tweekes

Past OR future Camino
Is there anyone on the forum here who is concerned about how NOT being vaccinated (for many reasons, health, etc...) will affect their future travel plans. Will countries ONLY accept vaccinated people or will they allow other means to show/prove that a traveler is completely healthy? This is meant as an open/honest question.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
Is there anyone on the forum here who is concerned about how NOT being vaccinated (for many reasons, health, etc...) will affect their future travel plans. Will countries ONLY accept vaccinated people or will they allow other means to show/prove that a traveler is completely healthy? This is meant as an open/honest question.
The current state of the proposed vaccine pass is as follows: You must show documentation of either:

1) Fully vaccinated (2 times, except Jansen, which is a one-shot vaccine), or:
2) Present a less-than 72 hours old PCR test, or:
3) Show proof that you have had CoviID, and should be immunized.

That is what alternatives that are proposed. We shall see.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
They are a bit more expensive for USA citizens, partly because the dollar is currently lower and partly because the facilities are charging a bit more.
Sounds like things might be more expensive for all pilgrims.

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
It's possible, but sort of defeats the whole point of the EU vaccine passport that the countries have been planning and debating for months.
EU vaccine passport: Mainly for frictionless travel within EU/Schengen; EU legal framework in place by 7-10 June; technical developments already under way; systems expected to be operational by middle/end of June (at least in those EU countries that are keen on it).

EU opening up for travellers from outside the EU: Mainly for travel into EU/Schengen; new framework already signed and sealed at EU level; now every EU country has to decide how to put this into place for international travellers arriving at their airports (they are arriving mainly in airports ...).

Camino Jewellery
Create your own ad

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015)
Thomas you should always read my posts before you do anything every morning. How many times have I told you that!!!! Scroll up and you will see I posted this story hours before you!!!!!! How are you? ;) :) :)
Hah! Mere minutes, that's all you beat me by. I'm doing well. Getting back to my walking. Hope you are all well.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
Just watched the national evening news in Norway: They just said a unified EU vaccine passport will be available at 15-30th July. A bit late IMHO. Then I deduct it will take quite more time for our fellow non-EU citizens.

This passport should be very easy to implement (I am a computer engineer, and know/understand the systems), so I do not understand this time delay. All national health authorities are recording your vaccines, so a vaccine passport could be generated in a wizz.

A QR code on your phone, generated by your national health care system, could link to an authoritiy website validating your vaccine staus immediately. Bureaucracy, I suspect. This is a really unneccessary delay for all people.

And here in Norway, even if I am soon vaccinated twice, I need to stay in quarantine 10 days in an expensive hotel on my return. And as such, what the H*CK is the point of being fully vaccinated???!!! It is beginnning to look silly IMHO. Yes, I am getting a bit frustrated... It is dragging out unneccessarily now, IMHO.

Last edited:

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
Just watched the national evening news in Norway: They just said a unified EU vaccine passport will be available at 15-30th July. A bit late IMHO. Then I deduct it will take quite more time for our fellow non-EU citizens.

This passport should be very easy to implement (I am a computer engineer, and know/understand the systems), so I do not understand this time delay. All national health authorities are recording your vaccines, so a vaccine passport could be generated in a wizz.

A QR code on your phone, generated by your national health care system, could link to an authoritiy website validating your vaccine staus immediately. Bureaucracy, I suspect. This is a really unneccessary delay for all people.

And here in Norway, even if I am soon vaccinated twice, I need to stay in quarantine 10 days in an expensive hotel on my return. And as such, what the H*CK is the point of being fully vaccinated???!!! It is beginnning to look silly IMHO. Yes, I am getting a bit frustrated... It is dragging out unneccessarily now, IMHO.

Are You assuming that EU countries are going to wait to admit non EU tourists who are vaccinated? I do not think countries will wait that long...they have their own criteria and will admit tourists from abroad if they think it is safe.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
Are You assuming that EU countries are going to wait to admit non EU tourists who are vaccinated? I do not think countries will wait that long...they have their own criteria and will admit tourists from abroad if they think it is safe.
Yes, there are plans to allow non-EU citizens to enter the EU. I just don't trust politicians to get their finger out in the near future, unfortunately. It is bad enough for us inside the EU/Schengen area. If you are outside the EU area, you are second in line, it seems.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
Yes, there are plans to allow non-EU citizens to enter the EU. I just don't trust politicians to get their finger out in the near future, unfortunately. It is bad enough for us inside the EU/Schengen area. If you are outside the EU area, you are second in line, it seems.

Borders are already open between some EU countries? Some countries already admitting non EU members. THE Cat is already out of the bag, Alexwalker.
Countries firming up their own criteria.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Create your own ad

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
Borders are already open between some EU countries? Some countries already admitting non EU members. THE Cat is already out of the bag, Alexwalker.
Countries firming up their own criteria.
It is NOT resiprocal. Some countries are simply desperate for tourists. Others stay put. It is on the border of ridiculous.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I just texted someone in Oviedo (that knows the Primitivo and the business along that route). I asked about if it was possible to walk now.. she said:

View attachment 100556
Yes, if you stay in a mix of albergues, small hotels and casas rurales.

She will set up a list of current lodging options on this route and send them to me. Will post it when I get it.
Thank you so very much. I will wait until next year, but played around with organising bookings for Primitivo and it is possible!

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
It is NOT resiprocal. Some countries are simply desperate for tourists. Others stay put. It is on the border of ridiculous.
There are often these two conflicting views: the EU rules everything and the EU countries have given up too much of their sovereignty; the EU ought to rule more and the EU countries exercise too much sovereignty on their own.

Reasons for delays (not naming any names) for an EU wide digital certificates system: one large country is way behind with the digitalisation of their (regionalised) public health systems; one middle-sized country has successfully pushed for a transition period of six weeks to be included in the text; interoperability of the 27 national digital systems across the EU is a major challenge.

Spain began working on their EU Covid certificate system in April. France began testing theirs at the end of April on flights to Corsica and I think people who get vaccinated now in France will already be issued with a certificate and QR code that can be scanned into their apps, similar to the NHS example that someone posted earlier. No idea how far Portugal and the other countries have progressed. I have a cardboard card with my vaccination data and I saw online that my GP received the information from the vaccination centre digitally but there’s nothing in my Covid app nor did I receive anything that I could put into it.

One thing is certain: If you got vaccinated outside of the EU/Schengen area don’t ask how to get a EU certificate. Way too early and not a priority.

There will be more news in due course ...😎

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
The Spanish member of the European Parliament in charge tweeted yesterday that the legal text for the EU Digital Covid Certificate (the new name for it, they've dropped the "green" from the label) will enter into force on 1 July 2021. But that's the date for their vaccination "passport" and similar certificates, it is not the date when Spain will open their borders further for people from outside the EU/Schengen Area - we are still waiting to learn about this date.

Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Past OR future Camino
yes...
A QR code on your phone, generated by your national health care system, could link to an authoritiy website validating your vaccine staus immediately.

We had our second vaccine last week (in France) - before we left we were given the QR code and it was scanned into the Stop-Covid App on our phones... and instantly we have a validated record within the app of the vaccines... also any PCR test results are also stored on the phone (as well as paper copies)

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
..that all travellers from the UK can travel to Spain from Monday (May 24th) with no need to show any COVID related paperwork. More will be published in news papers soon for sure...
That's live ... Pedro Sanchez is now speaking about about the certificado digital and the ku-erre and el 1 Julio (for the passport). I am pleased with my Spanish listening skills - I made progress during the past 14 months ...

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
..that all travellers from the UK can travel to Spain from Monday (May 24th) with no need to show any COVID related paperwork
I found the spot on the video where Pedro Sanchez said it. He even repeated it in English for the international press. Spain will be encantada, even encantadisima, to welcome them. It sounds like the UK and Japan will be put on the general White List, so France and other EU countries may follow suit soon.

He says that the Spanish ministerial order will be published today in the BOE. I will have to update the Lockdown thread. 🤭

Edited to strike sentence.

Last edited:
Create your own ad

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
Pedro Sanchez announced other changes, from the 7th of June onwards, ... for travellers to Spain who come from the yellow, orange and red regions in the EU, as defined by the ECDC, and from countries outside of the EU, like from the United States ...

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
How cute ... at the end of the speech, Pedro Sanchez and two of his ministers pick up mobile phones with the QR code of the digital certificates on it, hold it up for the cameras, and he then has it scanned by a device to show how it's going to work. You will no doubt soon see photos of it on an online news site of your choice.

WanderingBrian

Past OR future Camino
Have we confirmed negative tests in lieu of vaccines? I know some people maybe not be able to get them if they are immuno compromised or if their antibody counts are too high. Or I suppose maybe even for religious reasons?

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
Have we confirmed negative tests in lieu of vaccines? I know some people maybe not be able to get them if they are immuno compromised or if their antibody counts are too high. Or I suppose maybe even for religious reasons?
Irrelevant.

When you want to know what rules apply to you in connection with the Covid health crisis when you want to travel to Spain, you need to know
  • from which country or area you travel to Spain, and whether it's by air, sea or land;
  • when you travel to Spain; and
  • to which category of people you belong.
Go to Reopen Europe for a good and fairly up-to-date overview, where there are also links to the official government websites of each EU country to which you could travel to. Or go directly to these official government websites. For travels to Spain:

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm - already updated to include the situation from 00:00 hours on the 24th of May until 24:00 hours on the 6th of June, as it says on this website which also has a link to Spain's updated pdf file, in English, with the List of countries and areas from which a negative diagnostic test for active SARS-CoV-2 infection will be required from passengers before entering Spain and the list of all countries and areas where such a test is not required when you fly from there. It doesn't matter whether travellers are vaccinated or not, or what they believe about anything.

A minute after midnight of 6th/7th of June the rules are likely to change again. And then again on the 1st of July. Spain will let us know ...

Last edited:

makingtrax

Past OR future Camino
El norte2010
Portuguese 2014
Primativo 2016
Frances sept 2017!
Ivar, I am thinking of walking Primitivo and Fisterra routes in August. Will travel from New Zealand to Germany to look after my parents, then on to Spain.
I have flights on hold. Does that sound realistic? Is the Primitivo open?
Do you have info re pilgrim covid insurance in Galicia? Many thanks, Gitti
Which airline were u thinking of flying. I looked at Qatar airlines but flying thru Doha puts u into red zone! Not sure how else to get to europe except thru usa or maybe singapore

Create your own ad
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Which airline were u thinking of flying. I looked at Qatar airlines but flying thru Doha puts u into red zone! Not sure how else to get to europe except thru usa or maybe singapore
Emirates to Frankfurt. 2 weeks plus there, then Frankfurt to Bilbao on German passport.

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere. Is the 'NHS app' the same as the track and trace app? I want to be able to display my vaccination status at border crossings but don't want the tracking thing.
No it is a separate app that has all your personal health details including all your vaccinations and your prescriptions. You need your NHS number to activate it.

It has a new separate section for the COVID19 vaccination that produces a QR code detailing the type and dates of your vaccinations. The idea, one assumes, is that this QR code can be used for a number of purposes and not just international travel.

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
from 00:00 hours on the 24th of May until 24:00 hours on the 6th of June
Just noticed this on the SPTH website: LISTADO VIGENTE DESDE LAS 00h DEL DÍA 24 DE MAYO DE 2021 HASTA LAS 24 HORAS DEL 6 DE JUNIO DE 2021; LISTE VALABLE À PARTIR DE 00H00 LE 24 MAI 2021, JUSQU'À 24H00 LE 6 JUIN 2021; LISTE GÜLTIG AB 00:00 UHR AM 24. KANN 2021, BIS 24:00 UHR AM 6. JUNI 2021

Some light entertainment ... 🤭

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Sansthing

Past OR future Camino
French Camino (2009), French Camino (2011), Via de la Plata (2012), Camino Inglês (2014),
Here in Brazil we have Coronavac, Astrazeneca and Pfizer. My husband and I did have Astrazeneca. YES, YES, YES !!!
Unfortunately when you go for your vaccine in Brazil you are not given a choice, it depends on which they have in stock that day. I drew the short straw and was given the Coronavac.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
The announcement (video)
View attachment 100532

It seems to apply to travellers from outside the EU that has been fully vaccinated with any of the following vaccines: Pfizer, Janssen, Moderna or AstraZeneca

It need to be ratified by each country it seems. In the case of Spain it should take about 0,0001 seconds I think, we need some visitors.
Ivar, do you know, if one needs a PCR test flying Germany to Porto and also when entering Galicia from Portugal. I am considering the Portuguese coastal. Where would one get a test if it is required prior to walking into Spain? I am fully Pfizer vaccinated, does that exempt one from tests?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Ivar, do you know, if one needs a PCR test flying Germany to Porto and also when entering Galicia from Portugal. I am considering the Portuguese coastal. Where would one get a test if it is required prior to walking into Spain? I am fully Pfizer vaccinated, does that exempt one from tests?
Is this after the Covid pass has been put in use in the EU? (July 1st). If so, I don’t think you need anything else that paper saying you have been vaccinated.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Is this after the Covid pass has been put in use in the EU? (July 1st). If so, I don’t think you need anything else that paper saying you have been vaccinated.
Thank you very much Ivar. I am still debating whether or not I take the plunge.
Yes, it would be. I would have a letter from New Zealand to say, I had been vaccinated x 2 with Pfizer. I would be in Germany from 3.7. to 19.7., then fly to Porto.
I would prefer to walk the Primitivo, but don't want to fly into Bilbao, too much covid there and if I flew to Asturias from Germany, it is a long journey involving an intermediate stop. Trying to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads