• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eucharistic adoration along Camino Frances

JessL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Apr-May 2019)
Hi there,

I'm walking from SJPP in Easter week and am wondering if anyone could let me know about churches with Eucharistic adoration along the way? And the times that they would have exposition.

From searching through the threads I have found the following list, please let me know if you can add to it:
  • Santo Domingo de Calzada (I'm assuming the Cathedral?)
  • Leon, Church of San Isidro (all-day)
  • Burgos, Santa María la Real de Las Huelgas
  • Santiago Cathedral (all-day)
Thank you for any information you can give :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The church in Palas de Rei, San Tirso (directly on the camino) had a Holy Hour before the evening mass when I was there last fall. Exposition, prayers, pilgrim blessing, benediction and reposition.

The Cathedral in Burgos also had a holy hour with exposition and rosary before the evening mass. Go in the cathedral's front door, not the museum entrance.

Although I stopped in just about any church or chapel that wasn't locked, other than the places you've found and those handful added, I didn't see anywhere offering adoration.

Also, all of these schedules may be altered between Palm Sunday and Wednesday of Holy week. You will need to ask locally. And of course, starting at the conclusion of Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday the blessed Sacrament will be reposed and the tabernacles left open and empty until the consecration at Easter Vigil mass.

Towns and villages will be filled with processions and ceremonies related to Holy Week, the Tridium and Easter. It would be an amazing time to be there. You are in for a unique experience.

Finally, just a word about mass in general along the Camino. People will tell you it's difficult to find mass, but I never went more than a day or two without mass (from SJPP to Santiago) because I made it a priority. Almost every one had a pilgrim blessing at the end, many of them involving special ceremonies, others simply including pilgrims in the final blessing at mass.

It's easiest to find mass and churches open during the day in the main guide book end stage towns. But there are many others as well, almost always in the evening. You just have to look a bit harder and they may be when and where you least expect.

Good luck and all the best to you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,

I'm walking from SJPP in Easter week and am wondering if anyone could let me know about churches with Eucharistic adoration along the way? And the times that they would have exposition.

From searching through the threads I have found the following list, please let me know if you can add to it:

misas.org is fairly reliable. & each (major) church has their own website with Easter times and events
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can't help you on this one b-u-t if Leon, Church of San Isidoro you must also visit the San Isidoro museum just next door!

The church in Palas de Rei, San Tirso (directly on the camino) had a Holy Hour before the evening mass when I was there last fall. Exposition, prayers, pilgrim blessing, benediction and reposition.

The Cathedral in Burgos also had a holy hour with exposition and rosary before the evening mass. Go in the cathedral's front door, not the museum entrance.

Although I stopped in just about any church or chapel that wasn't locked, other than the places you've found and those handful added, I didn't see anywhere offering adoration.

Also, all of these schedules may be altered between Palm Sunday and Wednesday of Holy week. You will need to ask locally. And of course, starting at the conclusion of Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday the blessed Sacrament will be reposed and the tabernacles left open and empty until the consecration at Easter Vigil mass.

Towns and villages will be filled with processions and ceremonies related to Holy Week, the Tridium and Easter. It would be an amazing time to be there. You are in for a unique experience.

Finally, just a word about mass in general along the Camino. People will tell you it's difficult to find mass, but I never went more than a day or two without mass (from SJPP to Santiago) because I made it a priority. Almost every one had a pilgrim blessing at the end, many of them involving special ceremonies, others simply including pilgrims in the final blessing at mass.

It's easiest to find mass and churches open during the day in the main guide book end stage towns. But there are many others as well, almost always in the evening. You just have to look a bit harder and they may be when and where you least expect.

Good luck and all the best to you!

I will start walking just after Easter so will probably miss some amazing processions ... but that's okay :) I am very hopeful about being able to attend Mass most days, so thank you for the encouragement!

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm so grateful for your help!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I usually arrived early to the evening pilgrim mass and often found the rosary (in Spanish) being said along with Eucharistic Adoration.

I remember one church had the monstrance located high above the alter. A nun used a remote control to operate a turntable to expose the Eucharist. I wish I could remember the location.

-Paul

I realize it is not on your Way, however should you be in Madrid at any stage of your travels then the Almudena Cathedral is well worth a visit. The Blessed Sacrament Chapel is simply exquisite.
Buen Camino.

I realize it is not on your Way, however should you be in Madrid at any stage of your travels then the Almudena Cathedral is well worth a visit. The Blessed Sacrament Chapel is simply exquisite.
Buen Camino.

I'm flying out of Madrid but I don't know if I'll make it into the city itself, or just to the airport - I guess it depends on how long I take to walk the Camino. If I have a day to spare I'll make sure to visit the Cathedral - I was in Madrid in 2011 for World Youth Day but didn't really see any of Madrid. Thank you for the tip!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is Eucharistic Adoration at the church convento de Santa Clara in Carrion de los Condes. It seemed to me that it is perpetual, but could be wrong, but it was there both times that I have been there. It was one of the largest monstrance that I have ever seen.

Remember that there is no Pilgrims Mass at Santiago Cathedral for the next twelve months (as posted on the forum a few weeks ago)

Hi there,

Hi JessL

If you have any Spanish you may do better than me with this. I used this App a number of years ago but it seems you have to pay for extras now. I tried to get some sense out of it a moment ago but didn’t persevere. Perhaps you could do better, or perhaps the website is a better solution. Anyway the App can be downloaded by searching for misas.org

As I say, I did use it successfully a number of years ago from Sarria, and each evening I managed to find Mass. Exposition of Eucharist? I do not know.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,

All my life I have prayed in adoration by the tabernacle and never looked for the exposition...(though it is great you are making an effort, it would be great but please don't be disappointed if you missed one or 2) I feel one with Christ always but more so when I am close by the tabernacle. Blessings on your life journey and may the Holy Spirit guide you safely and help you find peace... Buen Camino.

Hi there,

Hello Jess
Perhaps in Rabanal del Camino? You could stay at the albergue of the Confraternity if St James of London, Gaucelmo,and they would be able to advise you further. May your pilgrimage be truly blessed as you walk with Christ. May you find and experience what you are looking for. May you walk, think and pray to your heart's content! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Isn't this in the Basilica? The very old frescoes?
The entrance to Panteón de los Reyes, Colegiata de San Isidoro - The Pantheon of the Kings of León - is located to the left of the church, up the steps buy the ticket and walk into a paradise of Romanesque art.

All my life I have prayed in adoration by the tabernacle and never looked for the exposition...(though it is great you are making an effort, it would be great but please don't be disappointed if you missed one or 2) I feel one with Christ always but more so when I am close by the tabernacle. Blessings on your life journey and may the Holy Spirit guide you safely and help you find peace... Buen Camino.
Hi Gaddong,
Yes - I am very happy to pray before the tabernacle, too! But if there are opportunities for exposition, that's a wonderful gift. I am sure I will find many tabernacles along the way, but maybe not exposition so often, which will make it special :) Thank you for your message, it's awesome to see so many fellow pilgrims out there.

Remember that there is no Pilgrims Mass at Santiago Cathedral for the next twelve months (as posted on the forum a few weeks ago)
I didn't realise it - thank you for letting me know, it's good to know ahead of time! I don't really mind but I might have been a bit sad if I had only discovered it after such a long walk! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not certain, but I think the Madres Benedictinas have Adoration at the Monasterio de Santa Cruz in Sahagun. Mass there is quite inspirational. I suspect the Cathedral in Logrono has Adoration. Also, if you are in Logrono soon after Easter, the church of Santiago Real has a unique display of the empty tomb and discarded shroud, all bathed in white light. I can't forget it.

I am not certain, but I think the Madres Benedictinas have Adoration at the Monasterio de Santa Cruz in Sahagun. Mass there is quite inspirational. I suspect the Cathedral in Logrono has Adoration. Also, if you are in Logrono soon after Easter, the church of Santiago Real has a unique display of the empty tomb and discarded shroud, all bathed in white light. I can't forget it.
I love this forum ... keeps giving me reasons to go back and do it all again!

Hi JessL

If you have any Spanish you may do better than me with this. I used this App a number of years ago but it seems you have to pay for extras now. I tried to get some sense out of it a moment ago but didn’t persevere. Perhaps you could do better, or perhaps the website is a better solution. Anyway the App can be downloaded by searching for misas.org

As I say, I did use it successfully a number of years ago from Sarria, and each evening I managed to find Mass. Exposition of Eucharist? I do not know.

Hi JessL

I have now used the website version of misas.org a little more, and I have used Chrome Translate to help me better understand. I have mastered searching for the times of Mass in various locations. So far, so good. However, for the times of The Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament I have had no luck. I hope you are doing better.

Michael A.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi JessL

I have now used the website version of misas.org a little more, and I have used Chrome Translate to help me better understand. I have mastered searching for the times of Mass in various locations. So far, so good. However, for the times of The Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament I have had no luck. I hope you are doing better.

Michael A.

Hi JessL

Having taken more time to familiarize myself with the misas.org website, it seems that The Adoration of The Blessed Sacrament is not widely available in places outwith the larger Parishes. I have used the website with reference to last 100+ kms of the Camino Portugués. It is very useful in that you can download Mass Schedules to keep as reference, you can access the website of some Churches and you can find other points of interest concerning those Churches. Now, how the website information is translated to the misas.org App I do not know. As I said in a previous post I used the App before when it was completely free. Is it worth paying for the add-ons? I do not know. There may be a case for doing all the research before your departure and finding ways to access that information as you progress on the Camino.

Michael A.

Hi JessL

Having taken more time to familiarize myself with the misas.org website, it seems that The Adoration of The Blessed Sacrament is not widely available in places outwith the larger Parishes. I have used the website with reference to last 100+ kms of the Camino Portugués. It is very useful in that you can download Mass Schedules to keep as reference, you can access the website of some Churches and you can find other points of interest concerning those Churches. Now, how the website information is translated to the misas.org App I do not know. As I said in a previous post I used the App before when it was completely free. Is it worth paying for the add-ons? I do not know. There may be a case for doing all the research before your departure and finding ways to access that information as you progress on the Camino.

Michael A.

Hi Michael, thank you for all that info! I have been looking up some of the Mass times along the way and will make a note of them :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back