• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eunate Church - The essential detour

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have stayed there - a very special place and a very special albergue experience with a candlelight service in the church after dinner.

When I first visited Santa Maria de Eunate I had an overwhelming feeling that this was not a 'macho' Templar church. I imagined that it was a petite, feminine church, perhaps built by a wealthy, local Knight for his lady. A church, like the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, where she could worship while he was away in the Holy Land.

I visit it every time I do a Camino Frances and in 2009 I spent a night at the albergue. Last year I mentioned my theory to the lady in the tourist office in Estella and she said that I wasn't far off.

According to a group of locals, it is a feminine church; the feminine church in a triangle enclosing a traditional holy landscape. The other two points of the triangle are San Pedro de la Rua in Estella (the hermaphrodite church) and San Sepulcro in Torres del Rio, which is the 'masculine' church. She said that none of these churches were built where they are by accident and that the land within the triangle is especially powerful.

Now, I don't more about that, but I do know that I felt the feminine power of Eunate and had a similar attraction to San Pedro de la Rua when I first visited there in 2002. When I wrote my novel, "Pilgrim Footprints on the Sands of Time" in 2004, I based the most important event in the book in San Pedro. There are amazing signs and symbols inside and outside the church only recently documented after 25 years of research.

The Camino has many layers. The path and the albergues and the people one meets are only the surface. Dig a little deeper and you will come closer to the rich symbology and tradition carved out by the Sons of Solomon.

As Sil notes the small church of Santa Maria de Eunate is, indeed, extraordinary. Coming along the path and catching the first glimpse of this wonderful spot is always a thrill. The circular plan of this thousand year old structure may be based on the plan of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. All is surrounded by an octagonal cloister. Built by unknown craftsmen and set within a natural bowl the ocher sandstone walls blend into the almost sculpted nearby fields planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the peace of eternity .

When last I visited in October 2011 during the evening four other pilgrims and I shared warm hospitality in the adjacent albergue. (It can only accommodate seven ) Two gracious hospitaleros from Strasbourg served an outstanding supper. Afterwards we held a simple candlelit prayer service in the mystic church giving thanks for our Caminos, our lives and our loves. Later as we each fell asleep on floor mattresses in the attic dorm we pilgrims remarked on our great luck and pleasure in sharing such precious moments. ...I thought how wonderful it had been to revisit this beloved place once again. May peace reign here another thousand years.

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are so many visible mason signs in the stones used to built the church that I wonder if the Lord/Knight or whoever ordered it built didn't enlist every mason in the district, or even in the region to hew the stones for its construction!
If you lay down on the lawn next to the church and close your eyes, you can imagine a scene right out of 'Pillars of the Earth". The sounds of dozens, if not a hundreds of workmen; stones being transported to the site by slaves or peasants, masons cutting the stones into the shapes and sizes dictated by the Master mason, carpenters making the scaffolding, mortar being mixed, fires burning, tools being forged, cauldrons of food for the workers.
What a busy place it must've been. And what a little gem they created!

Silvia and Margaret Meredith

Thank you for your welcome reply and fascinating information. I shall definitely get a copy of your book Silvia. Next time I do the Camino Frances I will definitely make the time to stay at the Eunate Albergue and Margaret I did lie on the ground and feel all of that history - very close - not filed backwards like in text books more as a present moment energy.

That is fascinating about the tri-angle. The other thing that sent shivers down my spine ( in a good way ) was I too spoke with the woman in the tourist office in Estella. She was so lovely and she talked to me for awhile explaining Estella is a very spiritual place. While there I admired a photograph on the wall of a man who was behind an initiative in India making beautiful little cloth dolls. One of these stayed on my pack all the way to Fistere as it reminded of a project I have supported in Kolkota for a few years - Freeset Bags - you may know it.
I have to ask you Silvia - have you visited Chartres Cathedral? That is one other place that the sense of the feminine was so strong on my first visit it was incredible and I have since done a lot of research on it and visited another three times. Before commencing the Camino this year I spent a week in Paris and this time got into the crypt in Chartres - oh my! ... that blog is still coming haha!

Maybe our paths will cross one day on Camino Frances, I should be lucky if they did. For now take care and warm thanks to you both, Catherine xo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I took the detour in 2010 along with a German woman who had dreamed and planned her Camino for 10 years,she had broken down in tears walking into Estella-the Camino was not living up to her expectations,we walked round the outside of the church 3 times barefoot to the delight of the 2 tourist buses with their cameras,I finished up with very tender feet,she gained the strength to continue her Camino all the way to Fisterra where we met up again.
Ian

Ah..... you had a Tsunamika dolly on your pack! They were made in India by wives of the fishermen who lost everything in the 2004 Tsunami.
Maria-Antonia from Estella was one of the women from Spain who visited India with a rehabilitation group that donated cloth and taught the women to make the little dolls to raise funds. The Tsunamika dolls are not for sale. One gives a donation and then tells the story of the dolls so that the word can spread.
Last year Maria visited India with €500 from the sale of the dolls in the tourist office in Estella. A few months later the women in India contacted her to ask if they could give it to the people in Japan who had just been devastated by the Tsunami there.
There are good people everywhere and it was a special privilege to meet Maria-Antonia in Estella.

That speaks volumes about Eunate Ian. Wonderful!
Yes Silv - It was! My dolly is very precious to me and I kept the little story note. Here is a parallel to it that you will also appreciate:
http://freesetglobal.com/who-we-are/our-story.html
This organisation is remarkable. There is an award winning documentary called Calcutta Hilton which tells the original story and the Hilton reference is because the family who settled there and were one of the founding partners of freesets surname is Hilton. I have a spare dvd copy which I would gladly send to you if you would like it. It is a very special story.
How amazing that the people wanted to give the money to the people of Japan for their tsunami. New Zealand saw a lot of this wonderful human spirit after the devastating earthquake in Christchurch (Feb 22 2011). It is very humbling and life affirming.
Best to you both
[/img][/img], CathieTherese xo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I went on the Freeset website and feel heartened by the love and commitment of those people.
If anyone is interested, you can read more about the Tsunamika dolls here.
http://www.tsunamika.org/

It was amazing to find these dolls in a basket on the counter in the tourism office in Estella. Such a little place - helping families thousands of kms away in a foreign land.

It seems from another forum thread that the albergue will not be open in 2013 as the hospitaleros are moving on with another phase of their lives and local political/power struggles will make finding replacements difficult, had really being looking forward to staying in the albergue this May but still intend making the detour to visit the church.

Seamus

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Eunate Albergue won't be open in 2013? Darn, I was really hoping to make a stop there, but will go through anyway to see it since I didn't due to blisters in 2011.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.