• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Euro 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
If you are in Spain at the moment (or Europe for that matter), you know that the european football championship is going on at the moment. Last night Spain beat Italy on penalties, after 120 minutes played.

Why am I mentioning this?

Because, if you are walking right now. On Thursday night (June 26th) at 20:45 Spain plays Russia for a place in the finals. To experience a bit of Spain, walk over to the local bar on Thursday night ("all" bars have a TV).

When it coems to football, spaniards are very passionate.

Saludos,
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Passionate? Locissimo more like! :) Here my favourite Spanish restaurant is giving free beer whenever Spain score a goal - the problem is it is so busy it is difficult to get near the bar!

Ole!

With the Italian/quarter finals monkey off their back anything could happen.

There will be a great atmosphere in bars etc on Thursday but I have to say fans of La Roja are pretty fickle and not nearly as passionate as the Croatians, English, Turks etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My American students have all become Spain football fans! They bought shirts at the Rastro, they bought flags, have painted their faces in the Spanish flag and jumped in the fountain in Colon following the great win over Italy! The enthusiasm is contagious - and it is great to seem them so engaged in the culture! (I think!) ¡Podemos!
Buen Camino,

Spain tonked Russia 3-0 in the semi, cars horns are beeping all around the city though I think the fireworks are being saved for Sunday. I advise anyone on the camino to make sure they are in a bar on Sunday at 8.45 (well, earlier really) for the final vs Germany. Even if they don't like football.

And get there early because with the large number of Germans on the Camino it should be very crowded.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
THIS MESSAGE WAS POSTED BY ROSINA ON THE ST JAMES FORUM::

the Spanish newspapers and the TV and radio commentators are literally bursting with the promises made by millions of Spaniards to walk the Camino next year if Spain wins the Euro Cup on Sunday.
Already tens and tens and tens of thousands who had made the same vow if Spain won the semi-finals yesterday, which it did…. handsomely (three goals to none), are bound to go.
Spain had not won against Italy in 88 years, and they did so in the quarter-finals; it appears that such victory has thrown the entire country into a euphoric whirlwind. Spain has never won a “futbol” (soccer) international contest before and they and have never reached as far as they have this year…. so I guess the country’s madness is understandable. -Even in New York City, the Galicians who own the restaurant across from where I live kept giving me and my friends bottle after bottle of “Cava” (Spanish champagne) on the house after the victory over Italy!-
The last Euro Cup in 2004 was won by Greece, and the very next year Queen Sofia, who was born and bred in Greece, walked the Camino (accompanied by about 300 government and army people); while she declared that the pilgrimage was in thanks for her first grandchild everybody knew better.
So, I guess the Camino might be pretty crowded next year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Much fun I had in Zamora, when Spain won. Not only were people celebrating this, but also Zamora was on its last day of the Fiestas de SanPedro (which happens to also be my last name). Music, shows, fireworks and a championship: What a night! Photos to come, when I can upload again.
Lilllian

A few months ago manager Luis Aragones said he'd do el Camino de Santiago (with his wife, did he ask her?) if Spain won Euro2008...

Luis Aragones, repeated his promise on TV that he and his wife will be walking the camino very soon - this year. I wonder if the team will follow them? If, so will the fans follow them?
Oh mi Dios! Can you imagine it!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It would appear thatt Luis Aragonés will not be the first Spanish football coach to have walked the Camino de Samtiago, see the article written by Sid Lowe:

Sid Lowe
November 6, 2006 2:45 PM

Betis coach Jabo Irureta isn't so much on the ropes as tumbling through them on to the judges' table below.
He has walked the Camino de Santiago, rambling his way across northern Spain with a stick in his hand, a rucksack on his back and a shell round his neck. He has a copy of the Meditations of former Roman Emperor Marcos Aurelius on his bedside table, inspirational reading night after lonely night in his empty hotel room. And he has, over a 21-year career, coached exactly 600 games in Spain's first division - more than anyone else except mythical Madrid manager Miguel Muñoz and legendary loon Luis Aragonés.

After seeing the labels tourisgrino, stampagerinos, bag-rustlingerinos, and the latest in the Sterotyping Germans forum "kommediekamminotourists" applied to pereginos not considered "authentic" in the eyes of the beholder I wonder what these hordes of futbol fans will be labeled. I hope the label will be kinder, and the victorious fans' and the coachs' intentions respected.

For Sil tomorrow we will see the start of rugby games between the Springboks and the All Blacks leading to the Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand. If you stick a needle from Santiago de Compostela through the middle of the Earth it will come out at a place in New Zealand not far from where I live. I can promise you a bed for yourself, and your husband, and to your son in Christchurch (the finals will be in Auckland) during the games, as long as you agree to a few evenings of joyful storytelling and no name calling!.

For Ivar, we play Rugby with an oval ball and can hold the ball whilst knocking off our opponents silly, but I do enjoy watching soccer.

Cheers

Kwaheri

Thank you for the invite Kwaheri! No name calling?? Not even the sheep? Aw gee - that's no fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.