• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Euro budget needed for food on Frances

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most restaurants take visa or Mastercard on the CF. Most have tap technology. With the rise in Omircron2 it is safer. It depends on your budget?
If you want the menu del dia which most of us do (not pilgrim menu)figure about 14-18 Euros a day. Includes wine or coffee.
breakfast about €5, coffee €1.5
Sandwich €5-7
Coke €2
I would budget a minimum of €30 for sit down food per day…more for fine dining!

If shop only in Supermarkets, skimp… cook your own food, don’t eat out, you can do it for €20.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think Marbe2 gave you a good sampling of prices. I didn't find prices to be quite as much as she listed most of the time, but better to overestimate rather than under estimate. If you are looking to get actual meals for lunch AND dinner - you might want to budget a bit more. Most people tend to have the full meal at dinner. I sometimes did it at lunch instead. Some people did it at both. You can also spend less on dinner if you aren't as hungry and order Racions instead of the Menu del Dia.

I also wanted to mention - you don't need to plan to bring ALL of your Euros with you - I think most of us find it more convenient to stop at ATM's in the bigger cities. I took out about 300 Euros in big cities and that carried me - I used mostly cash on my 2021 Camino. This summer - when paying at bars and albergues for meals - they still preferred cash.

My chip card worked everywhere I attempted to use it.

Regarding cooking - many kitchens were closed due to COVID - but we still managed to have some good grocery store meals. Hoping more kitchens are open this summer, but not counting on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
10-12€ per Pilgrim's menue (very good).
1,5-2€ Cafe con leche
3-4,5€ for breakfast
2-3€ for a big glass of fresh Orangejuice

Per person you can go from 10€ per day (self-catering, shopping in grocery) up to 50€ per day if you wish to eat luxurious.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You mention tap technology. My credit card is a chip. Will that still work?
Yes, Chip is fine. They will put it in the machine as we do. But-they also have tap technology. Most of our cards are now issued with it. Mostly, we do not use the PIN as they do in Europe. If you have tap technology it is easier to use…but your card will work with the chip. ALWAYS, pay the bill in EUROS! when the server comes with the machine tell him/her preemptively ,that you want to play in euros. Your will get a better conversion rate from your credit card company. See if you can use a card that has no conversion fees as well.

You can also spend less on dinner if you aren't as hungry and order Racions instead of the Menu del Dia.
The menú del día is not usually offered for dinner in Spain, but a similar type of meal called the menú peregrino is offered in many bars/restaurants on the Camino.

It consists of two plates, dessert, and your choice of wine, beer, or water. Typical choices for the first course (primer plato) are lentil soup, mixed salad or pasta. Second course offerings are often a choice of fish, chicken, pork, or beef and French fries or another type of potato. Price is usually €10-€12.

If you aren't very hungry you can save money by ordering just one plate - you will still get the dessert and beverage.

Lots of times I prefer to have two options from the first course choices, such as salad and pasta. Whenever I've asked I haven't been refused.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most restaurants take visa or Mastercard on the CF. Most have tap technology. With the rise in Omircron2 it is safer. It depends on your budget?
If you want the menu del dia which most of us do (not pilgrim menu)figure about 14-18 Euros a day. Includes wine or coffee.
Sandwich €5-7
Coke €2

If shop only in Supermarkets, skimp… cook your own food, don’t eat out, you can do it for €20.
You can do it for even much less than that shopping in a supermarket. I have had filling decent lunches and dinners for about 10. If you cook with others in the albergue and I am sure more and more kitchens are opening you can have amazing dinners for less than 5 euros each. I have done this many times. The more people the less money and have had my most memorable delicious meals this way and memorable connections also. A few years ago, in winter, even though I walked alone there was a group of about 10-12 pilgrims walking separately but staying in the same albergue at night. There were 2 young chefs from Italy and one from Spain and wowwwwwww did they love to cook for us and double woooowwwwww were our dinners. Most nights they asked about 3 or 4 euros from each of us. That included dinner and some really cheap wine of course.

There is no mention above of those donativo albergues which cook for pilgrims. I believe that there are still a few on the Frances, although I cannot say whether they have been doing so during the pandemic, or whether they will be doing so this year. If so, you will pay what you can for your evening meal and breakfast. I have always made a point of paying twenty euros for my bed (or mat) and meals. The donativos must have enough money to buy food to cook and to keep the building functioning. Another inexpensive option which has been mentioned is buying food in a grocery store. This does not always need to involve cooking in the albergue. Sometimes you can put together an inexpensive meal of a packaged salad and a main course which can be served as is or heated in a microwave (available at many albergues). If you must eat very cheaply, the grocery stores will be your best resource, depending on whether there is a kitchen which you can use in the albergue. Communal cooking can be great for some, but as a vegetarian I often prepare my own meals and try not to monopolise cooking facilities. As a hospitalera, I would wish that pilgrims clean the kitchen after themselves.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is no mention above of those donativo albergues which cook for pilgrims. I believe that there are still a few on the Frances, although I cannot say whether they have been doing so during the pandemic, or whether they will be doing so this year. If so, you will pay what you can for your evening meal and breakfast. I have always made a point of paying twenty euros for my bed (or mat) and meals. The donativos must have enough money to buy food to cook and to keep the building functioning. Another inexpensive option which has been mentioned is buying food in a grocery store. This does not always need to involve cooking in the albergue. Sometimes you can put together an inexpensive meal of a packaged salad and a main course which can be served as is or heated in a microwave (available at many albergues). If you must eat very cheaply, the grocery stores will be your best resource, depending on whether there is a kitchen which you can use in the albergue. Communal cooking can be great for some, but as a vegetarian I often prepare my own meals and try not to monopolise cooking facilities. As a hospitalera, I would wish that pilgrims clean the kitchen after themselves.
When I walked - the donativos that I stayed at DID still do the dinners. BUT... most donativos had closed due to COVID. Hoping more are open this summer when I go back.

When I walked - the donativos that I stayed at DID still do the dinners. BUT... most donativos had closed due to COVID. Hoping more are open this summer when I go back.
We received word that most all of the donativos that are staffed by Federation volunteers are planning to be open this year and there were 13 Federation staffed albergues on all of the various caminos that were open at least part of last year (normally many more). Some do offer a communal meal. Granon always has and continued that tradition when they reopened late last fall. They also provide breakfast. At other albergues where I have served, both Zamora Municipal and St. Michael in Estella serve breakfast and meals were often cooked together in the evenings by pilgrims. As of last week, someone has reported that the kitchen is closed at Zamora, but hospitaleros are still serving breakfast. At Caldazilla de los Herminillos the kitchen was closed last fall and only a microwave was available. No breakfast or meal.

We are serving this summer at Canfranc Pueblo for FICS and I believe breakfast is provided there, but no evening meal. They will reopen this year on April 1 with a new name, as I understand it. Not sure if the kitchen will be open for pilgrims, but maybe @Rebekah Scott or one of the other hospitaleros can let us know.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sandwich €5-7
Coke €2

Having just come back from vacation in Spain and Portugal I have noticed most restaurants even tiny ones, have started to use On-Line Menus to avoid the possible spread of Covid via contact with an infected menu.
This means that you need a data plan on your smartphone along with the QR reader to read the link to the menu, which is usually found on the table. Wifi is also generally available at most restaurants.

If you are looking to get actual meals for lunch AND dinner - you might want to budget a bit more. Most people tend to have the full meal at dinner. I sometimes did it at lunch instead. Some people did it at both.
This is tricky for me. I was always very hungry when I finished walking, so a 3-course menu del día was very tempting. Then I became so full and sleepy, and also dinner at restaurants start late, so in this situation I would buy groceries for light dinner and breakfast. If I managed to time my “lunch” correctly and had a bocadillo just before I finished walking, then I would have proper meal for dinner.

The worst that can happen is waking up in the middle of the night hungry with no food available, it has happened to me when cycling 😅

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For payment where credit cards are accepted you can use Apple Pay or Google Pay.
I find it easier to pull out my phone than a credit card.
Yes. This. I recently setup gpay on my phone and I can't believe I resisted for so long. It is very convenient - no need to fish through your wallet for a card and no need to sign! It saves a few seconds per transaction but really it feels like minutes haha

Having just returned from the CP, the comments above are pretty much spot on regarding the cost of eating. As we all eat slightly differently, I’ll share my routine with you. First, café con leche and a pastry were my typical breakfasts (around €3). A mid-morning snack usually in a café/bar of more coffee and a slice of tortilla (€3-4). Because by lunch I typically still had further to walk, a small bocadillo and something cold to drink (€4-5)) would be just enough until I would stop for the day. Enjoying a cold beer or two (€1.5-3) after a day on The Way was part of my routine and also a time to sit and visit with fellow pilgrims. Dinners varied, but most were probably in the €12-15 range. So, €30 a day budgeted should do you well, but you can certainly cut that down some by visiting grocery stores for snacks or even ingredients for dinners. Buen Camino!

In Spain my recollections are
*Breakfast: cafe con leche and pastry, or an egg/meat mini-bocadilla if available.
*Morning snack- fresh squeezed OJ.
*Lunch- usually home-made bocadilla w/meat, cheese and olives, a few nuts and banana.
*Mid day rest- chocolate w/nuts.
*Dinner- definitely a hot meal w/wine, preferably if I'm early a menu del dia, otherwise pilgrim meal (I had a few exceptional meals off "real" paper menus).
Not sure on my costs, but I think around $25 a day for food.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sandwich €5-7
Coke €2

I have been on the camino 3 times. The last time I hiked the caminoi was sick of bocadillos and was determined to avoid them (except for the one I bought at Orisson for day 2. Also, I just could not eat all of the food on the pilgrims menu. So for lunch and dinner I mostly ate just wonderful tapas (also cheaper at night for me.
I agree with always have food snacks. I always carry a plastic container for leftovers and pastry to eat in the morning.

have been on the camino 3 times. The last time I hiked the caminoi was sick of bocadillos and was determined to avoid them (except for the one I bought at Orisson for day 2. Also, I just could not eat all of the food on the pilgrims menu. So for lunch and dinner I mostly ate just wonderful tapas (also cheaper at night for m
I rarely eat bocadillos while on the Camino. I'm more inclined to have an ensalada mixta for lunch.

Another option if a pilgrims meal is too much food is to order a half menu. Some places offer it as a choice, but if it's not offered most places will accommodate you with one plate, plus dessert and beverage.

There may be an opportunity to order a combination plate rather that the 3 course meal. I saw that more often last summer than I have before pre-pandemic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back