• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Euro/US exchange rate 1.09

• Thread starter Former member 99816
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 99816

When I was in Europe 10 years ago the euro was $1.35. Now $1.09! If you were planning on spending 50 a day, now it's like 40. What a great time to walk the camino, if you're a yank. I guess it's still $50 if you're a euro.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I was in Europe 10 years ago the euro was $1.35. Now $1.09! If you were planning on spending 50 a day, now it's like 40. What a great time to walk the camino, if you're a yank. I guess it's still $50 if you're a euro.
The exchange rate always seems to get better when I cannot go to Europe.
I am thinking that I am correct remembering that when the euro was first created it was something like 89 cents to the US dollar. Boo-hoo me!

Your point is ??
Pretty simple. If you are an American your dollar has much more buying power at an exchange rate of 1.09 rather than 1.35. I live in Mexico and used to work here. I would be paid in pesos, of course. When the peso fell in value against the dollar it did not affect me. I was paid in pesos and I all my transactions were in pesos so I saw no savings. If I was dependent on my US dollars then I would have seen a value. I choose not to as I gambled (and won) that the peso would stay weak against the dollar. If you live in the EU and work in the EU and spend Euros in the EU this post doesn't have any significance for you or for that matter any but a U.S. citizen. Then again you might have been joking and in that case never mind! ;)

That’s fantastic! Last September I paid $1.24 US per Euro. For anyone thinking of going in the future this may present a great time to buy euros.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nice to know that someone sees a silver lining in what many see as a rather grey cloud. €50 will not get you what €40 would ten years ago, so budget accordingly.

It’s hard to predict exchange exchange rates especially at moment I think. The GBP had strengthened versus the euro over the last couple of years or so rising from 1.1 to 1.2 which does make a difference for UK based folks. That said Spain has a high inflation rate to don’t celebrate too much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your point is ??
It’s a good point to make simply mentioning the favorable shift for the USD and other currencies seeing the same trend. Planning a budget is a part of the journey for most pilgrims and having in mind that euro price are now dollar +10% is handy.

There might even be some investors of albergues or generous donors to pilgrim causes that will appreciate the notice.

Erm ... I've not even looked for an old envelope yet to do some calculations but I did look at a graph of the exchange rate for $ and € for the last ten years. For example, I see that todays exchange rate is exactly the same as in June 2017 and higher or lower at other times since March 2012. Okay ... so ...?

I guess what the OP wants to say is that Spain was cheap for him and others ten years ago and it is still cheap for him and us this year even when prices are higher. That's true for many if not most of us, even for those who don't have to change their money into €. What we consider affordable, or dirt cheap, may depend on more than exchange rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back